GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Rat INSIDE my 2018 GLC -- What?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 10:04 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLB 250
Rat INSIDE my 2018 GLC -- What?

Wanted to post his here too, in case it is a GLC specific problem. But... I can't find anyone with this problem yet.

On Friday my 2018 (leased) GLC would not start. MB Roadside brought it to the local dealer on a flat bed.

Today they called to say--sorry, not covered by warranty. They tell me that some type of rodent ate all the wires in the electrical/fuse box in the front passenger footwell, causing a short of the whole system. The also say the rat chewed a hole in the MB-tex in my rear seat.

I had the electrical work done to the tune of $450. The cost to replace the rear seat covering is $900. I haven't done that yet, but probably will have to since it is a leased car.

Now, I have no idea how a rat got into the car. It is always in a garage and the windows are never down, doors are never left open. While there certainly could be a rat in the garage -- how did it get into the passenger compartment? Dealer says, very vaguely, there are vents, holes, conduits, etc. and it is not inconceivable that a rat could get in (and out apparently), but they couldn't tell me where and didn't act like it was a correctable problem. They claim they see no other damage like chewed ducts, etc.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Are these cars really designed with holes big enough for rats to enter the passenger compartment? I am at a loss as to what to do to prevent this from happening again.

Part of me would like Mercedes to cover or help with this. I feel like this is either poor design, or some freak event that maybe they could help with. Maybe I am being unrealistic, but when your slogan is "the best or nothing," it's hard to feel like I am getting the best of anything.

By the way -- no food of any kind in the car.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. And yes, I have an exterminator coming tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:24 PM

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
GLC
Talk to your insurance company
Old 05-18-2020, 11:40 PM

2021 GLB 250
I will, but essentially the dealer is telling me that entry of rats into my car is a normal operating condition. Why won't this happen again? Surely this can't be right. I've never had a cockroach in my car before in my whole life -- how can there be holes big enough for a rat to get into the passenger compartment?

Old 05-18-2020, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,489 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
You didn't specify if it was a 2 or 4 legged rat.
The following users liked this post:
hyperion667 (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 12:07 AM

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts
12 C200, 12 C180, 10 Fuso Warrior crew cab, 08 RTV ute, 05 Smart Fortwo cabrio, 09 Smart Fortwo
Unfortunately all cars have holes in them big enough for Rats or Mice to get into, its usually a flap that allows the expansion of air inside to escape, I have seen rodent damage in all sorts of cars, just because you have a Mercedes it does not make you immune to nature, these pests only see somewhere to look for food, you may have been parked somewhere and the rodent got in, it happens, just hope that you didnt drop him off at your home.

Just throw some chewable baits around and hope you dont get the stink in the car when he croaks, pretty sure they go looking for water when baited.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:32 AM

2021 GLB 250
I'm not claiming to be immune because I have a Mercedes...

I'm saying this sounds like a design flaw. Air doesn't need a rat sized hole to escape. If there are holes that big why wouldn't cars be full of cockroaches in Florida too? This is a very rare occurrence. Rats chew wires from the outside/engine bay -- that is not too unusual. Having a rat inside the passenger compartment is rare, and it darn well should be... I can only find one other case in Google. My point is that Mercedes acted like this was a normal operating condition of the car and I disagree.

When your slogan is "the best or nothing" maybe you should screen off rat-sized holes in your fancy luxury car. Just saying.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:39 AM

12 C200, 12 C180, 10 Fuso Warrior crew cab, 08 RTV ute, 05 Smart Fortwo cabrio, 09 Smart Fortwo
Originally Posted by DDGator
I'm not claiming to be immune because I have a Mercedes...

I'm saying this sounds like a design flaw. Air doesn't need a rat sized hole to escape. If there are holes that big why wouldn't cars be full of cockroaches in Florida too? This is a very rare occurrence. Rats chew wires from the outside/engine bay -- that is not too unusual. Having a rat inside the passenger compartment is rare, and it darn well should be... I can only find one other case in Google. My point is that Mercedes acted like this was a normal operating condition of the car and I disagree.

When your slogan is "the best or nothing" maybe you should screen off rat-sized holes in your fancy luxury car. Just saying.
I also disagree it being a design flaw as I have seen it on numerous occasions, and working in the automotive industry you see it alot, its not uncommon, not every one will get on google and list their experience with a rat, even if Mercedes meshed off all the holes in your car the rat can still get in, they chew things, there are many ways a rat can get into your car when its closed up, it can get into the ventilation of you air conditioning chew through your cabin filter and its in, chew through rubber grommets or whatever, no matter what you do if it wants in, its in.

Your argument is like the person who built your house is responsible for the flies and mosquito's that get in your home, or moths eating holes in your clothes, its nature it does not discriminate, **** happens.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:56 AM

2021 GLB 250
Originally Posted by prktkljokr
I also disagree it being a design flaw as I have seen it on numerous occasions, and working in the automotive industry you see it alot, its not uncommon, not every one will get on google and list their experience with a rat, even if Mercedes meshed off all the holes in your car the rat can still get in, they chew things, there are many ways a rat can get into your car when its closed up, it can get into the ventilation of you air conditioning chew through your cabin filter and its in, chew through rubber grommets or whatever, no matter what you do if it wants in, its in.

Your argument is like the person who built your house is responsible for the flies and mosquito's that get in your home, or moths eating holes in your clothes, its nature it does not discriminate, **** happens.
Thank you for reminding me why I don't post anything on these forums anymore.

You are not understanding my point. I asked them to look for chewed spots or damage. They say there is none. This is a normal operating condition of the car...large gaping holes, apparently.

My experience is that the main use of the internet is for people to complaint about problems with their expensive stuff.

To me this is more like water coming into your submarine than bugs into your house, but whatever. If my house had mouse-sized holes I would consider that a problem too. Hope it never happens to you because there appears to be no solution.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:42 AM

No need to take offence, just pointing out that rodents are a fact of life, I think you will find you would have had the same problem even if it was a Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini or Ferrari.

All cars have to have these holes, they are not actually gaping they are actually covered in a thin rubber flap, this ventilation is needed because if the car was completely sealed it would cause other problems with fluctuation in temp , you would have problems closing the door or boot, you air conditioning needs the ventilation, you need the ventilation so you dont suffocate or get overwhelmed by Co2, I dont know all the reasons but if it did not have to be there they would be totally sealed from factory.

Unfortunately I have had rodent problems in cars before, I just paid to have it fixed and moved on, complaining is going to get you nowhere, like I said in a previous post throw some chewable baits around and hope they stay away from your expensive car.

A rat can squeeze its body through a hole the size of a quarter if it needs to.

Last edited by prktkljokr; 05-19-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:48 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
A mouse can squeeze through an opening the size of a DIME......a rat could contort it's body too I'd guess......perhaps not as much bit still. Buy some bait and call it a day
Old 05-19-2020, 11:15 AM

2021 GLB 250
I guess you have to be in the situation to understand it's not as easy as all that. Rats don't always take the bait, it's poisonous to dogs, the rat might die in your car, it might do more damage to my tasty new wiring before it dies...

Clearly there is no room for complaining on the internet anymore. Guess I'll just suck it up -- that seems to be the theme.

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,489 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
A 2- legged rat simply has to open a door to gain access. I wouldn't call that a design flaw.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
How can you be sure it was actually a rat and not a mouse?
Old 05-19-2020, 01:50 PM

2021 GLB 250
Originally Posted by decorily
How can you be sure it was actually a rat and not a mouse?
I guess I have no idea. In Florida I think we mostly have rats, but some type of rodent is all I know. Presumably on the smaller side, but did a lot of damage.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:40 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I guess you have to be in the situation to understand it's not as easy as all that. Rats don't always take the bait, it's poisonous to dogs, the rat might die in your car, it might do more damage to my tasty new wiring before it dies...

Clearly there is no room for complaining on the internet anymore. Guess I'll just suck it up -- that seems to be the theme.

Thanks.
What?

No room on the net for complaining?? Who is suggesting you suck it up? It is a lame situation, but blaming the design of the car itself might make others wonder WTH your problem is?
Yes, bait would be bad for a dog; do you have pets? Just being a responsible pet owner, and keeping them away from bait is pretty easy IMO.....I had a dog a couple of years ago but she passed......I used bait often and never had any issues. GL to ya!
Old 05-20-2020, 11:48 AM

2021 GLB 250
MB-USA is going to work with me on the repairs. Apparently they agree that rodents inside your car is not "the best."

From what I understand, there are two likely entry points to the cabin. The firewall from the engine bay if not sealed well enough, and the "trunk flap" air vents behind the rear bumper cover. While this is probably true of all cars, I do think that making the interiors more plant-based should also lead to more consideration of simple efforts to prevent access by rodents. Just because other cars could have the same problems doesn't mean that is quite to "the best or nothing" standards. You could have a way for air to escape but rodents can't in -- it's certainly not an unsolvable problem. I'm glad MB-USA is stepping up to help, and I hope maybe they will consider some minor design changes in the future to make this better.

anoop (05-21-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 04:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 300, Porsche Carrera S
Good luck with your repairs @DDGator . Last year my wife’s GLE had some cables under the hood chewed. Luckily everything worked fine and no repairs were needed. We just used some electrical tape to insulate some of the wires. This past weekend a baby opossum was in the engine bay of my Panamera. We could not get it out and could not see it anymore. Took the car to the dealer where they put it up the lift and uncovered the car from below. They could not find it, so it either did a Harry Houdini on us, or is still in there somewhere. I hope for the former!
Old 05-21-2020, 07:30 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2023 GLC 300 2022 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
A few months ago, I had some sort of rodent chew through 2 ignition coils in my E-class when it was parked outside. From what I've read, MB uses soy-based plastics which little critters seem to enjoy eating.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:44 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300
I don't know if this helps your problem but... do you by chance have the stock "base" stereo (only one bass speaker in the driver's-side footwell, non-Burmester)? If so, that means the passenger-side upper footwell does not have a bass speaker and the 8" space for it is empty (but lots of electronics/wires are very near). Reportedly both footwell speakers "vent" to a chamber in the firewall and perhaps there is rodent access here??? Hope you find the problem
Shandawgg (07-25-2022)
Old 07-30-2021, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GLC 300
Wanted to post his here too, in case it is a GLC specific problem. But... I can't find anyone with this problem yet.

On Friday my 2018 (leased) GLC would not start. MB Roadside brought it to the local dealer on a flat bed.

Today they called to say--sorry, not covered by warranty. They tell me that some type of rodent ate all the wires in the electrical/fuse box in the front passenger footwell, causing a short of the whole system. The also say the rat chewed a hole in the MB-tex in my rear seat.

I had the electrical work done to the tune of $450. The cost to replace the rear seat covering is $900. I haven't done that yet, but probably will have to since it is a leased car.

Now, I have no idea how a rat got into the car. It is always in a garage and the windows are never down, doors are never left open. While there certainly could be a rat in the garage -- how did it get into the passenger compartment? Dealer says, very vaguely, there are vents, holes, conduits, etc. and it is not inconceivable that a rat could get in (and out apparently), but they couldn't tell me where and didn't act like it was a correctable problem. They claim they see no other damage like chewed ducts, etc.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Are these cars really designed with holes big enough for rats to enter the passenger compartment? I am at a loss as to what to do to prevent this from happening again.

Part of me would like Mercedes to cover or help with this. I feel like this is either poor design, or some freak event that maybe they could help with. Maybe I am being unrealistic, but when your slogan is "the best or nothing," it's hard to feel like I am getting the best of anything.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. And yes, I have an exterminator coming tomorrow. Thanks.
Yes I have a 2020 GLC300 and mouse got into my car and chewed the fuel sensor wires into.... they get in either through air vents or up and above the gas tank under your back seats...there open space to the world under the seat. I even had this mouse build a nest in the trunk and under that extra storage lid...inside that compartment. ugh. You can buy boxses on amazon that can help, but a cat is the best choice

Last edited by ErnieBerley; 07-30-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda
Rats chewing through wires is becoming an increasing problem as more car manufacturers are using soy-based wiring instead of petroleum-based wiring to save money and because it's more environmentally friendly. A couple auto makers have been sued over this already.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:03 PM

'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Originally Posted by RRMB396
Rats chewing through wires is becoming an increasing problem as more car manufacturers are using soy-based wiring instead of petroleum-based wiring to save money and because it's more environmentally friendly. A couple auto makers have been sued over this already.
I think Honda now uses capsaicin in their wiring to prevent rodents from chewing on the wires.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:15 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
I think Honda now uses capsaicin in their wiring to prevent rodents from chewing on the wires.
Seriously?! That's actually awesome! Wait, are you joking? Do you mean capsicum?
Old 08-03-2021, 01:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 Chevrolet Silverado Midnight Edition

I've had a similar situation with our Mustang, about 10 years ago. Couple neighborhood dogs got loose, chased a squirrel under our Mustang, and the dogs tore up everything (mirror to mirror), both mirrors, both fender/wheel wells, the leading edge of the hood, the adjoining grill, and the only item not on this mold line, the nose skirt....insurance gave me $2500 to repair it all, plus my deductible. The paint damage wasn't too bad. What was not noticed, at the time, was the damage that the squirrel did to the wiring harness to all four O2 sensors. A couple months after I replaced all of the chewed up plastic and bent the metal back into place (was waiting until I found a great deal on painting her), the O2s started screwing up, and a few months after that (after I replaced the O2 sensors), I took it to the nearest dealership, where our mechanic showed me that harness. $420 for a new harness & installation, or $80 for him to repair it as best as he could. I believe that it is still rolling around with the repaired harness.

In Okinawa, we would wash and vacuum both of our cars every Friday/Saturday, and we still had both roaches and ants in them. So we threw a roach trap and an ant trap under the each of the front seats and another pair in the trunks, both vehicles. I understand roaches, some of them fly, but ANTS?

I've seen pictures of air intake, where a rodent made its nest on top of the air filter.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 GLC300 P01 selenite grey
Because of the pandemic/lockdown people drive less. As a result rodents have easier access to cars parked over long periods of time. This has become a very common occurrence in Los Angeles. Trash in the city has increased tremendously in the last year due to the pandemic and the homeless. And the rodents have multiplied as well...