GLC vs GLE Safety Features

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tesla Model X
GLC vs GLE Safety Features

I'm trying to decide between a GLC and a GLE

I have compared the GLC vs the GLE looking at models 2019-2021 and all of the safety features seem to be pretty much the same after adding all of the additional safety features.

Are there any standout differences in terms of safety features between the two cars?

I'm currently thinking I'd be better with a fully loaded GLC vs a GLE + All additional safety features. This way I can get a super safe car and enjoy a nice interior and other caveats.

Are there any notable differenced between the GLE and GLC in terms of safety? Is the GLE slightly safer because its larger?

Any input appreciated!

High performance is not a main priority.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 10:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,934 Likes on 3,098 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Safety is not a discernable difference between vehicles of the same size and weight. All vehicles sold need to meet legislated safety requirements. Differences between vehicles of the same size and weight will have nearly zero affect on safety outcome for 99% of times when safety features are needed.

Larger and heavier vehicles are safer, all other things being equivalent. Size matters. For a 2021 Chevy Spark vs a 2021 Ford F-350 crew cab long bed dual rear wheel, the Ford wins 100% of the time in a collision. Both vehicles meet all applicable safety requirements. The Ford is much heavier and much larger, and will compress the Spark into a balled up piece of tin foil in a collision.

Safety is a purely psychological selling feature, for vehicles of the same size and weight.

The safest vehicle is the largest and heaviest vehicle, when comparing equivalent model years and therefore safety standards. A 1960s Catalina is not safer than a 2021 Chevy Spark, because of the large difference in safety legislation. Although the Catalina will still turn the Spark into a crumpled ball of tin foil, the Catalina driver would also likely be impaled by the steering column or be tossed from the vehicle, and die along with the Spark driver. Not so in the example above with the Ford truck above. The Ford F-350 driver would get out of the vehicle and wonder what the funny faint noise was.

It seems you are balking at the higher price of a GLE, is this correct?

Last edited by chassis; 08-08-2021 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-08-2021, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by chassis
. All vehicles sold need to meet legislated safety requirements.
To be more precise....all vehicles need to meet minimum legislated safety requirements!

That doesn't make them all equal.
Old 08-08-2021, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tesla Model X
Thanks for the Info.

I understand why the GLE is more expensive, I'm mainly looking at additional features that prevent accidents in the first place.

E.g. You can get the 360 cam system and active steering assist on both the GLE and the GLC.

I'm trying to figure out if there are any notable crash prevention features that are only available on the GLE vs the GLC.
Old 08-08-2021, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,605 Likes on 1,181 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Heaviest is only heavier. In actual safety, injuries, vehicle damage, or just about any other metric, the design and construction seems to be more important than weight.
Here is a website - HLDI - Highway Loss Data Institute, that compiles actual accidents, damages and injuries.
https://www.iihs.org/ratings/insuran...make-and-model
You can search by type of claim, size of vehicle, to see what actually happens on the road, in real life incidents.

For a first run, select the tab "Lowest and Highest Losses" and you can see a mix of big and little cars in both the top ten and bottom ten. Check for the type of claim that's important to you and be surprised.

This is different from crash test data, which can also be found on the site IIHS - Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The crash tests are pretty political, with even the dummies specified by Congress, probably according to which Dummy manufacturer makes the highest campaign contributions. The dummies yield significantly different results. Credible? I think not, but you decide.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,934 Likes on 3,098 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Hey! Good to see you @mikapen . It's been a while.

Weight wins, all else being equal. You did read my post in its entirety, correct? You seem to be getting absent minded, sadly. A normal process for most of us.

Safety is a psychological selling point used by dealers (snakes, all of them) to scare unknowing people into buying the more expensive vehicle, or to scare them into buying their car vs losing the sale to another brand. Car sales are an example with extremely asymmetric knowledge and information. The snakes (dealers) have much more knowledge and information than the average consumer in the car buying process. Dealers (snakes) use this to prey upon consumers. It's a big reason why buying cars is nearly universally disliked.

Who likes walking into a den of snakes (dealer showroom)?

Last edited by chassis; 08-08-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,605 Likes on 1,181 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by chassis
....Weight wins, all else being equal. You did read my post in its entirety, correct?.....
Yes I did, and provided real evidence to refute it.
Your claim might have been true in the early 50's but it's no longer the case.

American Motors and Mercedes started a revolution in the 50's, and their breakthroughs in design are now mandated.

In addition to crashworthiness (where your F350 barely passes after the F150 failures) (check the links I sent) a GLC will be more likely to avoid that accident, instead of plowing straight into it. Weight loses there, too.

To the OP, there is probably no real difference in available safely features between the GLC and GLE, now that the GLE has received their recall update over the air.