GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 11:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300
Battery

I have had GLC300 MY2017 from new. To be honest I have not have any issues except cause by a collision with a deer 😉

Anyway, I relocated to southern Florida a year ago. I know, from my experience, heat kills the battery. The battery is 5+ years old, so in my books it performed well so far. I had it checked at a local AutoZone shop and the guys said all is OK. I do not trust it as I could see he had no idea what he was doing…

Anyway, last several weeks I had the feeling the car does not start how it used to. A week or so, why grocery shopping, a message in red appeared on the screen displaying battery symbol and stating stop the vehicle and keep vehicle running. I got home, stopped the car and restarted. All went away. Till today. Exactly the same message appeared except it was yellow.

Also I noticed last few months the annoying start/stop feature seems not to be working (which I really like, I mean not working).

I was thinking going to the dealer to get a new battery as I do not trust local auto parts shops.

Anyone with similar experience? I would like to hear from you.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,448 Likes on 2,085 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Kris@ATL
I have had GLC300 MY2017 from new. To be honest I have not have any issues except cause by a collision with a deer 😉

Anyway, I relocated to southern Florida a year ago. I know, from my experience, heat kills the battery. The battery is 5+ years old, so in my books it performed well so far. I had it checked at a local AutoZone shop and the guys said all is OK. I do not trust it as I could see he had no idea what he was doing…

Anyway, last several weeks I had the feeling the car does not start how it used to. A week or so, why grocery shopping, a message in red appeared on the screen displaying battery symbol and stating stop the vehicle and keep vehicle running. I got home, stopped the car and restarted. All went away. Till today. Exactly the same message appeared except it was yellow.

Also I noticed last few months the annoying start/stop feature seems not to be working (which I really like, I mean not working).

I was thinking going to the dealer to get a new battery as I do not trust local auto parts shops.

Anyone with similar experience? I would like to hear from you.
See if this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LI54.10-P-067414.pdf (1.83 MB, 234 views)
Old 10-20-2021, 11:48 AM

GLC300
Wow! Interesting. It does make sense. Just wonder if it can be repaired under warranty. I know my expired, but it seems it is a manufacturing fault.
Thanks!
Old 10-20-2021, 04:44 PM

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
2016 GLC300
Our 2016 started doing that exact same thing after 4.5 years. We replaced the battery no matter what. It's a high-cycle AGM style battery (read: expensive and long-lasting), but the daily short trips my wife makes are HARD on a battery. We also have pretty cold winters where we live. So, we did two things: 1. Replaced the battery with an OEM one (about $250 at the dealer as I recall). And 2. We had a Chicago shop reprogram the computer through the OBD-2 so we could permanently turn off the Run Stop feature ($154). My friend at the dealer said these batteries regularly should get about 7 years or so. But I don't think that assumes the car is starting 15 times on my wife's 4-mile trip to work. Our 2nd battery will likely last much longer now (not to mention the starter motor and the engine!).
Old 10-20-2021, 05:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,925 Likes on 3,091 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Replace the battery. 5 years is in the window for normal/natural replacement. MB designs on the edge of cheapness in most things so it’s time for a new batt.
Old 10-21-2021, 04:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 152 Likes on 126 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Buy a new battery from a recognised manufacturer- 80Ah is the norm, but try for a large number RCC.
Simple to fit, no need to register battery specs to cars computer like some BMW models.
Buy a smart battery charger that specifically charges AGM built batteries, a Ctek, 5.0amp will suffice, or similar brand.
Charge the new battery overnight to bring it up to full charge as new batteries are never full and car charge system cannot charge beyond a certain point due to lad on alternator and other systems in use.
The following users liked this post:
juanmor40 (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 10:48 AM

GLC300
Thanks guys, I found Optima yellow top for $310 plus taxes. I have done battery replacement in the past, in this case I am a bit concerned, do I have to have an auxiliary power supply? If not I think I will do it myself.
Thanks!
Old 10-21-2021, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 149 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Teckno
Buy a new battery from a recognised manufacturer- 80Ah is the norm, but try for a large number RCC.
Simple to fit, no need to register battery specs to cars computer like some BMW models.
Buy a smart battery charger that specifically charges AGM built batteries, a Ctek, 5.0amp will suffice, or similar brand.
Charge the new battery overnight to bring it up to full charge as new batteries are never full and car charge system cannot charge beyond a certain point due to lad on alternator and other systems in use.
Some attachments at this
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...=804734&page=3
Telling otherwise, it does required registration.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:54 PM

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 GLC300 & 2009 SL550 (previously had 1999 CLK / 2006 E500 / 2011 GL450)
The AUX power supply just saves your from having to reset some. “Convenience items”. Often it’s just a low current device plugged into the OBD port or sometimes the cigarette lighter. Aside from radio stations (which may now be in non-volatile memory), the automatic windows and sunroof might need to be reset. Also, on some cars, the steering angle sensor needs to be reset.

I don’t know which apply to the GLC, but most of these don’t require any special tools.

FWIW, other than a bad batch I recall reading about, the Mercedes original batteries have a very good reputation. Also, the AGM replacements found in the US aftermarket all seem to be the same (perhaps other than Optima). These replacements see, to be pretty close to the OEM — I thin Mercedes only used two sizes over the last 20 or so years.

That said, heat kills. So 5 years on a battery is above the right, and adding a year of hotter climate to the mix later in life seems like it’s time…
Old 10-24-2021, 10:12 AM

GLC300
An update. Called MB dealer in on Friday and made appointment for yesterday morning (Saturday).

The battery was replaced with the OEM for $274.00 out of the door. Car was washed. All is good now, except…….when I was pulling out of the dealership and stopped before joining the road car stopped…….the start-stop feature started working again after a few months 😉

Not a biggie, I will have to just hit the button after starting the car again 😉

For the money it was worth going to the MB dealer, and the service was very good. BTW, the dealer is in Ft. Pierce, FL.

Old 10-24-2021, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 152 Likes on 126 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Originally Posted by Kris@ATL
An update. Called MB dealer in on Friday and made appointment for yesterday morning (Saturday).

The battery was replaced with the OEM for $274.00 out of the door. Car was washed. All is good now, except…….when I was pulling out of the dealership and stopped before joining the road car stopped…….the start-stop feature started working again after a few months 😉

Not a biggie, I will have to just hit the button after starting the car again 😉

For the money it was worth going to the MB dealer, and the service was very good. BTW, the dealer is in Ft. Pierce, FL.
Great news.
Did your Dealer docket or receipt list any other action, like a battery reset / calibration ?
Old 10-25-2021, 10:06 AM

GLC300
Yes, there is a line stating "reset battery life after with SDS", whatever it means....
As I said for the money I cannot complain.
The following users liked this post:
fred9x (10-25-2021)