Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2023, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,381 Likes on 2,251 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
5Mn BATTERY DRAMA FIX....

CTEK AGM Charging mode... so perfect?

RTFM: DISCONNECTED BATT. only!

We are not supposed to charge/float our batteries while in circuit.... yes we do regardless.
Don't use the "AGM Mode": you dont need it.

Battery issues are caused by either poor car voltage control while driving or drain while parked.
Normal car batteries are non-issues.

Having to deal with battery issues is aggravating. Replacing battery solves absolutely nothing.
Instead get your main GND Strap serviced.
Old 12-24-2023, 11:46 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 GLC 300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by no_mulligan
Choose your options carefully.
There's an 800 CCA battery that fits and is widely available. It matches closer to the OEM battery. I went with NAPA Premium Legend #9A94R. 3 yr warranty. $205 on sale. The cheapest I found was thru Walmart.
To anybody else shopping for a OBD-II scanner, the Autel MX900 will easy reset the battery registration. This is a mid grade scanner that can be more useful later than an entry level Foxwell mentioned that works for only one vehicle. I caught the MX900 on a black Friday deal at $450 and it will scan multiple makes and models which I need along with a lot more capability. If you intend to keep cars more than 5 years, I see this scanner as a big help for DIY'ers.
You're right, that is a better match with the OEM. Indeed the Interstate one has slightly less capacity than the OEM which is 800A, 80Ah, RC: 140 min. Interesting that both the online battery matcher and the one @ Costco came up with this battery. Good to know for next time.

Originally Posted by mikapen
Are the OE batteries AGM or VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid)?
I thought they were VRLA.

If so, wouldn't the OE charging rates have insufficient for an AGM battery?
Or, shouldn't the CTEK be set for LA, not AGM?
Here's a pic from my original battery:

Wikipedia calls AGM a type of VRLA battery.

Last edited by waylo; 12-25-2023 at 12:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by waylo:
edpare (12-25-2023), mikapen (12-25-2023)
Old 12-25-2023, 01:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
glc43
FWIW interstate MTX-94R/H7 fits my 17glc43 and launch creader elite benz can register
The following users liked this post:
Barbaris (02-02-2024)
Old 12-25-2023, 08:48 AM

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4Matic
Just my experience,

I replaced 2017 Glc300 battery, 6 year old, with H7-AGM Energizer from Costco Canada C$260+tax on Sep. 2022.

No battery registration done.
Start/Stop function working again.

Oem old

New

The following 2 users liked this post by sn202020:
edpare (12-25-2023), mikapen (12-25-2023)
Old 12-25-2023, 03:46 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
2020 GLC300 touring version (but I miss my '93 300SE W140 tank)
Have we decided yet if newer (i.e. 2020 +) electronics need to be reset to match the battery?
Old 01-05-2024, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLC300
Hi Waylo,

EXCELLENT Posting and videos!! THANK YOU! I did the same thing that you did....bought my replacement at battery at Costco. BTW - I tried an online search at Costco.com, but ultimately had to have the local service advisor at Costco look it up in their book and confirm fitment options, which included both the H6 and H7. I see you opted for the H6 at 760 Amps, but I went with the H7 at 850 Amps, as they only had this one in stock. Same price at $169.99 + tax. The battery installation was not bad at all as the dimensions of the battery were the same. 3-year warranty as well. The dealer wanted $300 for only a 2-year warranty! Saved almost 50%! I love Costco!

I then called around to see if any of the parts stores (AA, AZ, OR) would lend me scanner tool to reset the battery. After trying their units, I went on Amazon and bought the
FOXWELL NT530 for Mercedes Benz Multi-System OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner FOXWELL NT530 for Mercedes Benz Multi-System OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner
on Amazon. I am waiting for it to arrive (with Prime it comes in two days). Cant wait to use it!

Thanks again for your EXCELLENT and HELPFUL post!
Old 01-05-2024, 03:45 PM

2018 GLC 300 4MATIC
Thanks for your report! After realizing the H6 was not the exact same size/capacity as the OEM, I was slightly miffed. But we don't have real issues with sub-zero cold AM starts in this region of the country so I am not so concerned. Next time, in 5 years I'll do it "perfect."

One limitation of the Foxwell I've learned is that other pro scanners have the ability to enter more data if the battery is not exactly the same. I think most 3rd party battery replacements are pretty close, so probably not a major issue here.
Old 01-05-2024, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 149 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Freeagent
Hi Waylo,

EXCELLENT Posting and videos!! THANK YOU! I did the same thing that you did....bought my replacement at battery at Costco. BTW - I tried an online search at Costco.com, but ultimately had to have the local service advisor at Costco look it up in their book and confirm fitment options, which included both the H6 and H7. I see you opted for the H6 at 760 Amps, but I went with the H7 at 850 Amps, as they only had this one in stock. Same price at $169.99 + tax. The battery installation was not bad at all as the dimensions of the battery were the same. 3-year warranty as well. The dealer wanted $300 for only a 2-year warranty! Saved almost 50%! I love Costco!

I then called around to see if any of the parts stores (AA, AZ, OR) would lend me scanner tool to reset the battery. After trying their units, I went on Amazon and bought the
FOXWELL NT530 for Mercedes Benz Multi-System OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner FOXWELL NT530 for Mercedes Benz Multi-System OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner
on Amazon. I am waiting for it to arrive (with Prime it comes in two days). Cant wait to use it!

Thanks again for your EXCELLENT and HELPFUL post!
Maybe Im wrong but why pay that much money for scanner?
If you can get an ild laptop from enay for 50$ and open port cable from ali express for 10$ install Xentry (download for free) and use real system the same as dealers are using to code and scan MB.
Xentry images usually comes with WIS and Parts catalogs.
Old 01-06-2024, 02:16 AM

2018 GLC 300 4MATIC
I just wanted to change a battery and save a little money doing it. Becoming a home mechanic is not my goal (yet).

After 2 days of the warning message, my battery completely died. Luckily I heeded the warning and got all my replacement parts/equipment that day. The time and energy it would have taken to assemble and learn everything you mentioned would not have been timely.

But it's nice those low cost options are available in the future should we want. Now I know that Xentry is a thing, and it's free???
Old 01-06-2024, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,180 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by DanD.
If you can get an ild laptop from enay for 50$ and open port cable from ali express for 10$ install Xentry (download for free) and use real system the same as dealers are using to code and scan MB.
Please tell us where.

The last time I tried an ebay version I was ripped off. I didn't get the "secret code," even though they provided a (different) non-working "code" several times.

When it comes to software, I do look gift horse in the mouth.
The following users liked this post:
waylo (01-06-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 09:55 AM

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
'12 E550, '10 ML350, '06 E350, '20 GLC300, '21 GLC300
Originally Posted by DanD.
Outside of my main profession, I enjoy going into shadetree mechanic mode. It's relaxing and rewarding. Saving money is not my main motive. I have performed work that would have been cheaper at the dealer but I'm money ahead the majority of the time including tool cost. I upgraded my basic scanner to an Autel MX900 in the process of this battery replacement. It will serve me for many other uses with my multiple vehicles including TWO GLC300. Since they are almost identical, anything I learn to service pays me back twice. I also have a reference point 20' away. The Foxwell scanner mentioned may serve the purpose of this thread but I encourage those contemplating a purchase to consider all of the choices including yours.
Old 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 149 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
Exclamation

Originally Posted by mikapen
Please tell us where.

The last time I tried an ebay version I was ripped off. I didn't get the "secret code," even though they provided a (different) non-working "code" several times.

When it comes to software, I do look gift horse in the mouth.
Start here and here

this is the cable I bought, reads all blocks with drivers included (if you get this one, DO NOT install any other drivers but included, I would not recommend this cable for coding (like permanently disabling Stop/Start ) for coding better to use original cable which is about $160
if you have more questions or need some help, PM me.

Originally Posted by no_mulligan
Outside of my main profession, I enjoy going into shadetree mechanic mode. It's relaxing and rewarding. Saving money is not my main motive. I have performed work that would have been cheaper at the dealer but I'm money ahead the majority of the time including tool cost. I upgraded my basic scanner to an Autel MX900 in the process of this battery replacement. It will serve me for many other uses with my multiple vehicles including TWO GLC300. Since they are almost identical, anything I learn to service pays me back twice. I also have a reference point 20' away. The Foxwell scanner mentioned may serve the purpose of this thread but I encourage those contemplating a purchase to consider all of the choices including yours.
This is not about saving money, this is about proper diagnostics, Xentry software what dealers are using to diagnose, all other scanners are good (some are very good) and most likely easier to use. Personally I've used a few:
  1. THINKCAR Thinkdiag Mini Full System
  2. LAUNCH Creader Elite Benz All System Diagnostic Code Reader for Mercedes Benz OBD2 Scanner,Bi-Directional Scan Tool,ECU Coding,All Reset Function,ABS
  3. iCarsoft MBII for Mercedes Benz/Sprinter/Smart Professional Diagnostic Tool Scanner, New Version
but after I found the way to install Xentry, I would not go back, and if you do work yourself Work Instructions (WIS) and Parts catalog (EPC)
100% agreed with you, it's personal chose.

P.S. I'm not a mechanic, I just like to work on my cars.

The following 2 users liked this post by DanD.:
Barbaris (02-02-2024), mikapen (01-08-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 08:34 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
2020 GLC43
Check your local battery plus store or advance auto parts - they might be able to register new battery when you buy it from them. Just call them. 2 Advance auto parts stores I called had no idea what this is, but battery plus store guy told me - you know what, we just got a tool from our head office that supports Mercedes.

Also there are cheaper alternatives in 2024 now like 2024 LAUNCH X431 Elite for Mercedes-Benz ($120 after coupon) that do a better job than Foxwell allowing you not only register a battery but also change parameters.

I spent 2 days reading and learning about Xentry but it all seemed like a rabbit hole of other people getting paid for hacks - not going to do that. They all provide you with "free" downloads and images but they all want you to sell actual keys for activation. So in the end of the day I figured my time was not worth it and I would rather get Launch x431 or similar (look up mercedes battery registation on Amazon, quite a few choices these days around $120-150) if you cannot find a local store that does this for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Barbaris:
mikapen (02-06-2024), waylo (02-08-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 SL500, 2018 GLC300
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by spinalator
Follow up: Battery replaced with an Optima yellow top. No issues. No programing needed. I didn't even use an alternative power supply to make sure I don't lose any memory settings. I just pulled and replaced the battery. Everything works fine and the memory settings all retained....
Thanks for letting us know the results. I assume your wife didn't get the "Stop Car and let engine run" error massage again! That happened to my wife today So I'm just going to replace the battery. Thanks
Old 07-01-2024, 11:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,486 Likes on 2,115 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Barbaris
Check your local battery plus store or advance auto parts - they might be able to register new battery when you buy it from them. Just call them. 2 Advance auto parts stores I called had no idea what this is, but battery plus store guy told me - you know what, we just got a tool from our head office that supports Mercedes.

Also there are cheaper alternatives in 2024 now like 2024 LAUNCH X431 Elite for Mercedes-Benz ($120 after coupon) that do a better job than Foxwell allowing you not only register a battery but also change parameters.

I spent 2 days reading and learning about Xentry but it all seemed like a rabbit hole of other people getting paid for hacks - not going to do that. They all provide you with "free" downloads and images but they all want you to sell actual keys for activation. So in the end of the day I figured my time was not worth it and I would rather get Launch x431 or similar (look up mercedes battery registation on Amazon, quite a few choices these days around $120-150) if you cannot find a local store that does this for you.
Yes I also heard Launch can reset the values in the SAM like Xentry. It also allows certain variant coding, it is a nice little powerhouse that fits in the glovebox unlike Xentry.