GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Hot air on driver side only

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLC 300
Hot air on driver side only

Greetings everyone, I am new here and asking for help, I do apologize for asking if this has been addressed and solved before but my search here for a solution to my current problem was unsuccessful.

My Problem:
When I turn on the AC the driver side vents blows hot air whilst the passenger side blows cold air.

iCarsoft MB II DTC:
B10A187
B10A207

What I have done:
Recharged the AC Refrigerant/Freon
Replaced the Door Flap Actuator with OEM (MB Part #: 0999067402)

My Observation:
The new Actuator does not look identical to the old one. The new one is thinner but fits perfectly. Also the white plastic “turning knob” that fits inside the actuator to cause it to turn, does not turn when AC is on and temperature is adjusted.

Additional Info:
My GLC was imported from USA and I leave on a small island in the Caribbean that does NOT have a MB Dealer or even an Authorized Reseller.

I am traveling to the USA tomorrow for other reasons so I won’t be able to do anything on the GLC until I return. I’m hoping that the suggestions I receive here to a possible solution will require the purchase of minor parts that I can purchase whilst in the USA then put them on when I return in 2 weeks. I’m open to any and every possible solution since taking the GLC to the dealership is NOT an option.

Can anyone help?

Thanks 🙏🏽
Old 03-07-2022, 09:54 AM

Received 396 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
According to this GLC300 owner who has a similar problem to yours, that white plastic ''turning knob'' is supposed to turn. He said that the flapper connector is broken (ie not the actuator motor 0999067402 itself). Maybe you can check yours when you return. Sorry that I cannot help further.

Old 03-07-2022, 10:11 AM

2016 GLC 300
Originally Posted by bishop64
According to this GLC300 owner who has a similar problem to yours, that white plastic ''turning knob'' is supposed to turn. He said that the flapper connector is broken (ie not the actuator motor 0999067402 itself). Maybe you can check yours when you return. Sorry that I cannot help further.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XizqseE0ULY
thanks for your help bishop64, I saw that video when doing my research but wasn’t to clear on what his solution was. I thought mine was the actuator since the “turning knob” on his was eaten out and mine isn’t. But it was only after I installed the actuator and it didn’t solve the problem was when I checked to see if the “turning knob” was turning. Check the video I just uploaded. Any chance you know the name or part # of the “turning knob”? I will purchase one and add to my arsenal of possible solutions.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_7863.MOV (19.61 MB, 162 views)
Old 03-08-2022, 01:38 AM

Received 396 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
I wonder if I am mistaken? I think, the white turning knob in your video should not move by itself. Instead, it should be driven/controlled by the actuator.
When you selected a temperature, the signal is sent to the actuator which rotates accordingly and thus moves the white turning knob. The white turning knob controls some kind of mechanism that will determine how much the door be opened up to allow cold/hot air to move through for mixing.
See the diagram per my understanding. https://imgur.com/a/ou9k3kk

So, as you have plugged in the cable connector to the new actuator, its 'socket' should rotate to drive the white turning knob. As you observed that the black 'socket' does not move per your temperature selection, I think either it is a wrong actuator (as you said its thickness is not the same as the old one) or it is also defective.
One thing you can try when you get home:- rotate the white turning knob manually with a finger to see if cold air comes out from both sides (as the white turning knob supposedly controls the door via a flap mechanism).

Last, if and when I find out the white turning knob part #, I will let you know.

Reference video (from a W163 ML class). Note that his actuator is connected to a white plastic piece which, in turn, controls the door/flapper. It is more complicated that your X253, which I think Mercedes has later simplified the design a bit. But, the concept of the mechanism should be the same. Start at around 15:00 if you do not want to watch the whole video.

Last edited by bishop64; 03-08-2022 at 01:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kurn (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 02:41 AM

2016 GLC 300
Originally Posted by bishop64
I wonder if I am mistaken? I think, the white turning knob in your video should not move by itself. Instead, it should be driven/controlled by the actuator.
When you selected a temperature, the signal is sent to the actuator which rotates accordingly and thus moves the white turning knob. The white turning knob controls some kind of mechanism that will determine how much the door be opened up to allow cold/hot air to move through for mixing.
See the diagram per my understanding. https://imgur.com/a/ou9k3kk

So, as you have plugged in the cable connector to the new actuator, its 'socket' should rotate to drive the white turning knob. As you observed that the black 'socket' does not move per your temperature selection, I think either it is a wrong actuator (as you said its thickness is not the same as the old one) or it is also defective.
One thing you can try when you get home:- rotate the white turning knob manually with a finger to see if cold air comes out from both sides (as the white turning knob supposedly controls the door via a flap mechanism).

Last, if and when I find out the white turning knob part #, I will let you know.

Reference video (from a W163 ML class). Note that his actuator is connected to a white plastic piece which, in turn, controls the door/flapper. It is more complicated that your X253, which I think Mercedes has later simplified the design a bit. But, the concept of the mechanism should be the same. Start at around 15:00 if you do not want to watch the whole video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv3zOTJjo2c
You make a lot of sense and I believe you are correct. However, I will purchase another actuator that’s identical to the old one. I will also ask the MB dealer for the turning knob mechanism and purchase that as well (just in case). Once I return I will try turning it manually before trying the new actuator and I will update you. Thank you for your wisdom and taking the time to share it with me. I appreciate you very much. 🙏🏽🙏🏽
Old 04-05-2022, 05:59 AM

2016 GLC 300
So I finally got back yesterday and went right to it. First, the white knob turns when I twist it with my hand and at 1 point I was able to get cold air coming out the front driver side and passenger side which was great. However, the rear vents started blowing extremely hot air. I turned it back a few times but wasn’t able to get it to a point where cold air came out all the vents at the same time. Second, I installed the new actuator but that did not solve the problem. So I’m back to a depressive square one with a “cool” car in a “hot” country. That’s what it feels like inside the car when the AC is on based on where you sitting. 😩😩😩😩