GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Did you cross shop the GLB 250?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 10:00 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 Mercedes AMG GT S
Question Did you cross shop the GLB 250?

Hi all,

I've had GLB 250 and GLC 300 loaners from my dealership, and even though the GLC 300 has better fit and finish, I think I like the cheaper GLB 250 better! Mostly this comes from being a parent of two and having lots of kid junk to haul around; the GLB did a nice job of maximizing the interior space.

I'm curious: Did you cross shop the GLB when buying your GLC? If so, why did you end up with the GLB?

Thanks!

PS: I blogged on loaner experiences here if you want my full thoughts on both SUVs:
* GLB 250 4Matic
* GLC 300 4Matic

Old 03-14-2022, 04:14 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by 503hp
Hi all,

I've had GLB 250 and GLC 300 loaners from my dealership, and even though the GLC 300 has better fit and finish, I think I like the cheaper GLB 250 better! Mostly this comes from being a parent of two and having lots of kid junk to haul around; the GLB did a nice job of maximizing the interior space.

I'm curious: Did you cross shop the GLB when buying your GLC? If so, why did you end up with the GLB?

Thanks!

PS: I blogged on loaner experiences here if you want my full thoughts on both SUVs:
* GLB 250 4Matic
* GLC 300 4Matic

For me the GLB had cheaper interior finishes, hard plastic everywhere, and the controls "creaked" and felt loose under the display screen. The displays looked tiny by comparison to those in the GLC, and the handling was sub-par for the Mercedes brand, likely since it was front wheel drive bias vs rear-wheel bias. The rear seats were angled at a less desirable pitch making it uncomfortable for taking passengers for any length of time, and we do long road trips from NJ to Illinois. I also disliked the interior lighting being thin little fiber optic strips vs. gentle ambient lighting making glowing sections on the doors, foot wells, and center console. If I recall, the rear cargo area had some sort of carpet laying down that looked wrinkled in the model I test drove, and the floor piece that lifted up felt flimsy in comparison to the GLC. That and the acceleration wasn't thrilling with 3 grown adults in the car - the GLC took off without hesitation. Also, once you add enough packages to make them similar builds, there wasn't enough of a savings to warranty the negatives of the GLB in my mind. But, I wasn't concerned with the most usable interior space, a third row seat (not available in the GLC) and things like that. ... but thats how my comparison went.

Now, if you are considering purchasing either the GLB or GLC today, take into account the fact that due to semiconductor shortages I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the GLBs no longer come with seat memory or power seat adjustments. I've seen many videos online showing the manual seats that they put in the GLB to save those parts for the higher end vehicles. Another strike in my book.

- Eric
Old 03-14-2022, 05:15 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 Mercedes AMG GT S
Originally Posted by dalazernet
For me the GLB had cheaper interior finishes, hard plastic everywhere, and the controls "creaked" and felt loose under the display screen. The displays looked tiny by comparison to those in the GLC, and the handling was sub-par for the Mercedes brand, likely since it was front wheel drive bias vs rear-wheel bias. The rear seats were angled at a less desirable pitch making it uncomfortable for taking passengers for any length of time, and we do long road trips from NJ to Illinois. I also disliked the interior lighting being thin little fiber optic strips vs. gentle ambient lighting making glowing sections on the doors, foot wells, and center console. If I recall, the rear cargo area had some sort of carpet laying down that looked wrinkled in the model I test drove, and the floor piece that lifted up felt flimsy in comparison to the GLC. That and the acceleration wasn't thrilling with 3 grown adults in the car - the GLC took off without hesitation. Also, once you add enough packages to make them similar builds, there wasn't enough of a savings to warranty the negatives of the GLB in my mind. But, I wasn't concerned with the most usable interior space, a third row seat (not available in the GLC) and things like that. ... but thats how my comparison went.

Now, if you are considering purchasing either the GLB or GLC today, take into account the fact that due to semiconductor shortages I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the GLBs no longer come with seat memory or power seat adjustments. I've seen many videos online showing the manual seats that they put in the GLB to save those parts for the higher end vehicles. Another strike in my book.

- Eric
Thanks for the comprehensive reply, Eric! Yeah, if you wanted the best built SUV, I see how the GLC is the ticket; GLB is a lot less refined in fit and finish than the GLC.

It's curious -- but understandable -- that MB chose to decontent the GLB in face of the chip shortage.

It was many months between my two drives, but I don't recall being able to tell the GLB was FWD biased vs the GLC's RWD bias. (And I did push them both on a mountain road!)
The following users liked this post:
dalazernet (03-14-2022)