GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Dealership accidentally tinted my GLC300, damaged rear window

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 10:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 GLC300
Dealership accidentally tinted my GLC300, damaged rear window

Long story short - I wanted to tint my 2017 GLC300 as the sun/heat in Las Vegas gets brutal in summers, and I want it to look slightly cooler and less of a mom car.
Currently has the factory "privacy glass" on rears from what I am told, and the driver windows are much lighter. I also wanted to the driver and rear windows to match more.
After prelim research I absolutely wanted to do ceramic, but a bit unsure of the %. I dont want it to be blacked out/limo tint, I still want to be able to see, just more protected from the heat.

Went into the local dealership and was very adamant on only ceramic - service rep talked me into 20%, but told me there was NO WAY the rear and driver windows could ever match. The way she said it she stated they would always have the same degree difference that they are now. I said cant you just put a slightly darker tint on the fronts to make them match more? "NO."

Few hours later she calls and says "Turns out we dont have 20% ceramic - also, they started accidentally tinting your car with a different tint meant for another car. Theyre removing it now and you can pick it up tomorrow". 😤🤯🤯
Quick google showed Llumar doesn't even MAKE 20% ceramic? Upon pickup today I requested the car be brought up so I could inspect it before signing or paying for anything, understandably. Walked around the car several times and inspected the exterior windows, all looked okay, so drove off. 5 mins later looking in the rearview, I notice glaring orange lines all through the rear window, the defroster lines (thinking was I crazy and had never noticed them in 2 years?).

Turned around and drove back to the dealership and showed the service dept manager the issue - he immediately acknowledged yeah, thats from removing the tint (that we accidentally did). The defroster lines all seem to be in tact, albeit just ugly and obvious now. He offered to either fix/replace the rear window, or we could try tinting again at a later time (with a discount, of course). Frankly I've never had a great experience with the LV dealerships (only 2) in 4 years and am to the point of considering driving up to Utah or California for services.

So now that I've gotten my rant out, do I:
  • Let him fix/replace the rear window and put this project on the backburner
  • Cut the drama and pay a premium to get done elsewhere
    • Quoted $600 from top custom shop in town; $150 for removal (may not need since its factory glass, not tint) and $450 for the tint
  • Let them tint it at a discount
    • If so, what % should I get to make it match and look less like a soccer-mom mobile 😎 (chrome deletion and wheels will be next!)
Heres my baby girl, current factory windows, and then the defroster lines showing from inside after "the tint debacle" 🤦‍♀️

Old 03-29-2022, 03:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I'm a bit baffled by all this drama just for window tint.

When I bought my GLC a couple months ago, I took it to a local tint shop and they did the fronts for $60. I chose to do 35% because I prioritized maximum visibility at night vs matching the rears. They told me if I put 20% that would match the existing rears pretty well. Even at 35% it looks good and is only a bit lighter than the rear, but still much nicer looking than the clear stock fronts.

That said, looking at my rear defroster lines, they are definitely a brown color, but it's hard to tell from your photos if it's much different. Perhaps yours are just super clean after they peeled off some adhesive?

I don't understand why they told you they can't match the fronts to the rears. And I also don't understand why you are paying hundreds of dollars for tint - is it that the ceramic stuff super expensive? Also, I don't understand why they started tinting your back window - isn't the factory already tinted? Why touch it? Are they adding another layer? So confusing.