GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Brake Hold Function

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 02:01 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
2023 GLC300 4Matic SUV
Brake Hold Function

I’m new to MB. I have a 2022 GLC 300 4Matic SUV and I can’t seem to apply the Brake Hold consistently.

In the Subaru I traded in there was a button for this function. You pushed the button and everytine you brought it to a complete stop the Hold engaged.

In the MB there is no button. The hold is engaged by some mystical combination of pressures on the brake pedal. Are there any tips or tricks to this combination? I can’t seem to get Hold to engage on a consistent basis?

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 07-06-2022, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glc 250d
If you slow to a stop and give a quick push of brake peddle it holds, you can release for a smoother start by pressing brake again to switch auto hold off before pulling away.
Or just accelerate and it auto releases.
If you stop and dont press right away it take a hard push to put it on.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,829 Likes on 2,558 Posts
2019 C63CS
No magic combination. You just need to come to a stop and don't stomp on the brake. Then once you have stopped for a moment just quickly push the brake pedal further and hold will engage. Don't do it too slowly and not too early. You have to be at a complete stop for a moment. It is sort of a quick stab once you are stopped. Just stay relaxed on the brake, and then stab it a bit farther. It's an elegant solution and the driver is in full control when to engage the hold and when not as opposed to the button approach where it always engages when you come to a stop. MB and Porsche do it with the brake pedal controlled by the driver. There's perhaps a bit of a learning curve. I couldn't do it consistently from the get go, but now it's second nature.

Here's a video that might help. The part about partially releasing the brake should come naturally. To come to a smooth stop, one automatically partially releases the brakes so that the occupants don't get thrown back into their seats once the vehicle comes to a full stop. So engaging hold is just a matter of firmly pushing the brake pedal back in once stopped.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-06-2022 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:13 PM

2023 GLC300 4Matic SUV
Thanks for both tips and the video. Guess I’ll just keep working at it. I’m not sure I agree with the elegance of a solution that is as subjective\variable as this; different driving/braking habits, different leg strengths etc. 🤪

Thanks again,
Kyle
Old 07-06-2022, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
You are likely just overthinking it. An elegant solution is one that just naturally happens. You don't need particular strength in your leg. It's a very easy natural motion. Come to a stop, slightly release the brake which happens anyway, then push it back in. I'm currently driving an A6 rental in Europe which has the button hold function and I catch myself instinctively going through the motion of the MB hold. It's entirely muscle memory at this point for me. Just like I keep turning on the windshield wipers, because I've become so used to the gear selector stalk.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:42 PM

Received 203 Likes on 163 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by superswiss
Just like I keep turning on the windshield wipers, because I've become so used to the gear selector stalk.
Haha. I did this recently test driving another vehicle.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,934 Likes on 3,098 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
HOLD operates via brake fluid pressure rise time. The pedal needs to be stabbed.

To convince yourself of this, come to a complete stop, and very slowly push the pedal as far as possible. HOLD will not engage in this scenario.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:21 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
GLC
What the purpose of the Hold function? Is it basically the same functionality as manually pulling the emergency break? How does this Hold functionality work with the eco start/stop? I've had my '20 for over 2 years now and never tried this out. I may give it a shot the next time I'm out to see how it works. Is there any benefit to doing this other than just having the ability to physically remove your foot from the break pedal for a few moments?
Old 07-07-2022, 09:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 GLC300
This is so annoying. I came from a VW that also had an auto hold button. If it was on, hold would just always automatically engage when I came to a stop. If you didn't want that, press the button to turn it off. None of this deciding whether you want to hold every single time you come to a stop and then timing a perfectly pressurized "stab" of the brake pedal. I love my GLC, but little things like this annoy me. Another one is why does it always start in comfort? It should always start in the mode it was in when I turned it off. Or, preferences should be based on profile. When my profile is selected, always go to Sport Mode, Auto Hold On, Auto start stop Off, AC at 72. That would be nice.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 GLC300
Originally Posted by KCSam
What the purpose of the Hold function? Is it basically the same functionality as manually pulling the emergency break? How does this Hold functionality work with the eco start/stop? I've had my '20 for over 2 years now and never tried this out. I may give it a shot the next time I'm out to see how it works. Is there any benefit to doing this other than just having the ability to physically remove your foot from the break pedal for a few moments?
It's just so that you can take your foot off the brake pedal while waiting at red lights. If you have long traffic lights, (some are 2-3 minutes where I live) being able to just relax your leg is nice. It's a luxury feature in a luxury vehicle.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:46 AM

GLC
Originally Posted by CaptainMal
It's just so that you can take your foot off the brake pedal while waiting at red lights. If you have long traffic lights, (some are 2-3 minutes where I live) being able to just relax your leg is nice. It's a luxury feature in a luxury vehicle.
Good to know. Thank you for the response.
Old 07-07-2022, 11:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
HOLD works hydraulically, not electrically via the electric parking brake.
Old 07-11-2022, 05:10 PM

2023 GLC300 4Matic SUV
Good to know. Thank you for the response.
It’s also a feature on non-luxury cars. My 2019 Subaru Forester had it. 😄
Old 07-11-2022, 05:13 PM

2023 GLC300 4Matic SUV
I agree that it’s annoying. I’d rather not have to wonder if I’m going to get the activation right every time I want Hold to engage. If I want to use it I want to use it every time I come to a complete stop. I can’t think of a scenario in which I’d want to use at this stop but not that one.
Old 07-11-2022, 05:14 PM

2023 GLC300 4Matic SUV
I think I figured out a big part of it. It seems the Brake Hold function prefers that your foot is precisely centered on the brake pedal. Apparently I am guilty of placing my foot on the side of the brake. As annoying as not being able to set it to engage ,or not, all the time.

I’ll have to go to Foot Placement School 😄
Old 07-11-2022, 06:28 PM

GLC
Well, I just tried it out for the first time. It was very easy. I didn't have any issues activating it. I tried on two separate occasions and was successful both times on the first try. Still not sure what the purpose REALLY is, but it worked for me without any issues. Not sure if I will ever use again though.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 43 AMG
FYI - There is a HOLD icon that ligts up in the dash!

There is a HOLD light that lights up in the dash on at least some of the available screens. Lets you know when it is engaged .... so you can feel comfortable taking your foot off of the brake..
Old 07-12-2022, 04:32 PM

2023 GLC300 4Matic SUV
I have the HOLD light on the display. The "Magic" seems to be in getting it to light up 😄
Old 07-12-2022, 04:35 PM

GLC
Originally Posted by KJWLI
I have the HOLD light on the display. The "Magic" seems to be in getting it to light up 😄
I was able to achieve the light display with my first two attempts yesterday.
Old 07-12-2022, 08:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Stab the brake pedal.

Jab the brake pedal.

Don't be gentle, be firm. That's what she likes.
The following users liked this post:
js_cls (07-13-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 06:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C300 W205
Break hold function is super easy and absolutely useful

In my GLC 2022, all I do is gently (no hard, quick push) apply a little pressure and the Brake Hold Function engages every time. I can't imagine why anyone would prefer a manual button to engage this feature when your foot is already on the brake peddle. Try it, don't overthink it.

My 1st MB was a 2010 GLE, the 2 features that kept me coming back to MB are the Brake Hold Feature and the stalk-mounted gear shifter. There are many other things I like about MB's but these 2 features are what caught my attention, to begin with. I have had 5 Mb's since my first MB.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:12 AM

GLC
It's funny, when I first read this thread and responded to it, I had zero interest in this feature. I found it rather pointless to be quite honest. But, after trying it out a few weeks ago, I now find myself using it every single time I come to a red light or stopped in traffic. It's very easy to use and has become second nature for me. Try it out if you haven't.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2022 GLC300
It's funny, when I first read this thread and responded to it, I had zero interest in this feature. I found it rather pointless to be quite honest. But, after trying it out a few weeks ago, I now find myself using it every single time I come to a red light or stopped in traffic. It's very easy to use and has become second nature for me. Try it out if you haven't.
Same here. Infact, I don't use autohold in my other vehicles because it doesn't let me creep forward slowly if need be. I have to use the throttle pedal to over ride it and it can be jerky. Surprisingly, I prefer the method Merc uses. I didn't even know about it until this thread and now use it all the time.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Same here. Infact, I don't use autohold in my other vehicles because it doesn't let me creep forward slowly if need be. I have to use the throttle pedal to over ride it and it can be jerky. Surprisingly, I prefer the method Merc uses. I didn't even know about it until this thread and now use it all the time.
Yep, once the mental block clears, one has to admit that MB's implementation is very elegant as I've said before.