GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Easy Entry/Exit Inoperative

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 11:03 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
na
Easy Entry/Exit Inoperative

It hasn't been working and I suspected it was due to low voltage. The vehicle was at the dealership and they diagnosed it but no fault was found. I should've checked it before I drove home but looks like I'm going back to the dealership.
Has anyone experienced this? Seating position is not all the way back. Battery is now fully charged and easy entry/exit is enabled if you go to vehicle settings on the screen. Interestingly, when I checked the vehicle settings on Mercedes Me app, it was disabled but so was acoustic lock and folding mirror that are working. I can't remember the last time easy entry/exit worked but am pretty sure it was working before. Incidentally, a fuel door also didn't open when the battery was low, which was first for me.
Old 01-30-2023, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 176 Likes on 146 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Originally Posted by pussgalore
....Incidentally, a fuel door also didn't open when the battery was low, which was first for me.
"a" fuel door, not the fuel door? what does the battery have to do with the fuel door? all mine open manually with a push when the cars are unlocked.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:38 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
2020 GLC300 touring version (but I miss my '93 300SE W140 tank)
It hasn't been working and I suspected it was due to low voltage. The vehicle was at the dealership and they diagnosed it but no fault was found. I should've checked it before I drove home but looks like I'm going back to the dealership.
Has anyone experienced this? Seating position is not all the way back. Battery is now fully charged and easy entry/exit is enabled if you go to vehicle settings on the screen. Interestingly, when I checked the vehicle settings on Mercedes Me app, it was disabled but so was acoustic lock and folding mirror that are working. I can't remember the last time easy entry/exit worked but am pretty sure it was working before. Incidentally, a fuel door also didn't open when the battery was low, which was first for me.
My 2020 doesn’t do the seat movement, just the steering wheel moves out of the way. Somewhere I read the seat moved back on exit only when it is left all the way forward when driver turns car off.
As for the fuel door staying locked, I Want all locks to remain locked when there is no or low power available.
Question: is the hood/bonnet locked as part of the locking system?
Old 01-30-2023, 11:38 AM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Agree with edpare. Easy entry/exit on my ‘18 GLC only raises the steering wheel all the way up. I researched at the time and that feature USED to move the seat back as well, but due to concern about encroaching on a rear seat passenger it was changed to steering wheel movement only. At least on the GLC line. Not sure what happens if the seat is all the way forward like it might be for a short driver. I assume only the steering wheel moves up and out of the way. I really like this feature.
The following users liked this post:
edpare (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 11:44 AM

And a side note…..if your battery gets low, particularly when it needs to be replaced after several years and the ominous warning comes up about “stop driving and leave your car running” or whatever. Since the car knows the battery is low, the Auto Start/Stop is automatically disabled, which for me is a plus. I hate that. Anyway, once you get your battery replaced, the Auto Start/Stop starts working again.
The following users liked this post:
edpare (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 08:06 PM

na
Originally Posted by edpare
My 2020 doesn’t do the seat movement, just the steering wheel moves out of the way. Somewhere I read the seat moved back on exit only when it is left all the way forward when driver turns car off.
As for the fuel door staying locked, I Want all locks to remain locked when there is no or low power available.
Question: is the hood/bonnet locked as part of the locking system?
Is your easy exit/entry set to steering wheel only? If that's set to both the steering wheel and the seat, both should move when you open the door. My old car moved the seat back and steering wheel up when I opened the door to get out, and the steering wheel lowered when I turned on the ignition but can't remember the sheet movement. It must have moved forward.

Yes, the hood was locked and the driver door open. It happened at the detailer and we thought it was weird that the fuel door didn't open. I started the engine but still it didn't open. After a quick drive I tried again and then it finally opened. Maybe something was stuck in the locking mechanism, but don't like it.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:08 PM

na
Originally Posted by Vaboy
Agree with edpare. Easy entry/exit on my ‘18 GLC only raises the steering wheel all the way up. I researched at the time and that feature USED to move the seat back as well, but due to concern about encroaching on a rear seat passenger it was changed to steering wheel movement only. At least on the GLC line. Not sure what happens if the seat is all the way forward like it might be for a short driver. I assume only the steering wheel moves up and out of the way. I really like this feature.
That's interesting. My dealership wasn't aware of this, or maybe that only applied to a certain region? I'm in Australia.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,832 Likes on 2,560 Posts
2019 C63CS
I don't know specifically about the GLC, but the seat only moves within specific parameters. It moves forward to clear the B pillar if necessary and back for somebody who sits close to the steering wheel, but depending on your normal driving position it may not move at all. This has been observed in multiple different models.

In case of my '19 C63S coupe, the seats don't move, because my normal driving position at 5'11" is already ideal for getting in and out, and the B pillar is farther back with a 2 door vs a 4 door. Only the steering wheel moves up. There's no need to move the seat, even though I've set it to seat and steering wheel.

There are also sensors that detect the presence of rear passengers, so if I moved forward with somebody behind me it doesn't move the seat back and crush them when I get out. In general that sensor prevents the seat from moving back and crush somebody's legs. Not sure if the GLC has the same sensor. In a 2 door coupe it's very important, because the seat moves forward for the rear passenger to get in, and then back, but stops in time to leave enough legroom.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-30-2023 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:36 PM

na
Originally Posted by superswiss
the seat only moves within specific parameters. It moves forward to clear the B pillar if necessary and back for somebody who sits close to the steering wheel, but depending on your normal driving position it may not move at all. This has been observed in multiple different models.
I tested it by moving the seat really close to the steering wheel but it didn't move back, nor did the steering wheel. I'm taking my vehicle back to the dealership.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,832 Likes on 2,560 Posts
2019 C63CS
I tested it by moving the seat really close to the steering wheel but it didn't move back, nor did the steering wheel. I'm taking my vehicle back to the dealership.
I'm assuming you saved that position in the seat memory first? I think easy entry/exit only works in conjunction with having your normal seating position saved.
Old 01-31-2023, 01:19 AM

Good point, superswiss! That is a very subtle but important part of easy entry/easy exit. The “saved” seating position is the reference point the easy entry/exit feature uses to move my steering wheel to my preferred driving position. As I mentioned earlier, my seat does not move when I enter or exit my ‘18 GLC, only the steering wheel. I’m sure features may work differently in other countries and different MB models. This is just the way mine works.
This may be obvious, but worth noting, opening and closing the door is part of the easy entry/exit process. When I enter my car and close the door, the steering wheel does not drop down until I press the Start button. When I park and turn my car off, the steering wheel does not raise out of the way UNTIL I open the door. So if I stop my car and wait for my wife to run in the store for a minute, unless/until I open my door to exit, my steering wheel remains in my driving position.

Last edited by Vaboy; 01-31-2023 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 01-31-2023, 02:04 AM

na
Originally Posted by superswiss
I'm assuming you saved that position in the seat memory first? I think easy entry/exit only works in conjunction with having your normal seating position saved.
Yes, I did. My normal seating position should also trigger the easy entry/exit.

EDIT: now both are working, but the range of positions that this feature gets triggered is very narrow compared to what it was in C-Class sedan. unless I suddenly grew big in the last year

Last edited by pussgalore; 02-03-2023 at 11:50 PM.