GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

5000 mile road trip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2023, 06:33 AM

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
2024 GLE, 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
Question 5000 mile road trip

Just returned from Florida after putting about 5k miles on my 2022 GLC 4 Matic . Car was loaded with “things”, back seat and cargo areas were packed. Averaged about 27-30 mpg on highway using premium fuel. Experienced very occasional steering wheel vibration, seemed to happen when exiting a highway and decelerating. Also occurred on relatively smooth roads, I have no idea what triggers this to happen. Once when parking, some accident alert appeared, I was backing into a parking spot and was no where any other car. A warning alerted me that the brake assist was not functioning, this warning appeared several times that one day, went into settings menu to make sure it was activated, reset the brake assist and warning disappeared. Kind of unsure why this happened, I never disabled the brake assist.
GLC handled well, had ample power/ acceleration, and was comfortable for long periods of driving.
I like driving in the ECO mode, I feel that the downshifting is smoother. I have it set for a screen reminder to pop when I start the car, asking if I want to restore to previous ECO setting. I am not sure why this reminder doesn’t appear every time I start car. Don’t know if it times out or what. If anyone has an answer please let me know. No vehicle is perfect, however, I was very pleased with the overall performance, comfort, and handling of my GLC. I had previously owned a 2018 GLC and feel that this vehicle is somewhat smoother, the 2022 GLC has the 19 inch tires, not that it matters much. Thanks
The following users liked this post:
chassis (03-03-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 02:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 GLC, 2012 RX350. Gone: Q5, LR2, XC90
Congrats on your new GLC!
I would think that your 2018 had some wear and tear, so the new one should be feeling smoother, possibly have more precise steering feel as well.
The vibration you describe can be from slight wheel imbalance.
I had experienced vibration in one my previous vehicles (can't remember what it was) that happened at a specific speed, like between 60-62 mph.
One of the wheels needed a tiny weight adjustment.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:10 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
2020 GLC300 touring version (but I miss my '93 300SE W140 tank)
Does your GLC have Driver Assist? Mine does and I experience that steering wheel shudder when I steer too close to a lane line stripe.

I also experienced occaisional brake assist failure warnings which turned out to be due to partial obstruction of one of the windshield cameras by dirt or, in my case, a miniscule windshield chip in front of a camera lens that caused intense glare only at certain angles to the sun,
Old 03-03-2023, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by m1964
Congrats on your new GLC!
I would think that your 2018 had some wear and tear, so the new one should be feeling smoother, possibly have more precise steering feel as well.
The vibration you describe can be from slight wheel imbalance.
I had experienced vibration in one my previous vehicles (can't remember what it was) that happened at a specific speed, like between 60-62 mph.
One of the wheels needed a tiny weight adjustment.
Thanks for your input, I believe that the wheel vibration may be due to a needed software update, I’ve been reading about this and my salesperson has suggested that as well.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (03-03-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by edpare
Does your GLC have Driver Assist? Mine does and I experience that steering wheel shudder when I steer too close to a lane line stripe.

I also experienced occaisional brake assist failure warnings which turned out to be due to partial obstruction of one of the windshield cameras by dirt or, in my case, a miniscule windshield chip in front of a camera lens that caused intense glare only at certain angles to the sun,
Your suggestion that the brake assist warning may be due to a dirty windshield is the most likely explanation. It did go away and so far has not returned, thanks