GLC Buying advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2023, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C204
Question GLC Buying advice

Hello everybody,

I'm looking to purchase a Mercedes GLC X253 soon and I have a question regarding the base model / upgrade features model.

My budget is around 30k euros - and I'm looking for something with not more than 100k km.

I love this type of steering wheel: https://shorturl.at/kwNOX
And the big screen tablet + some AMG line exterior (front bump + Panamericana grill).

The models that have this steering wheel + the big tablet/screen are only the one from 2020, and in this price range with these km + other small features are very hard to find.

So I come to you for some advice regarding this "problem", what option would be better?

1. Try to find a model that fits this criteria of new steering wheel, tablet, etc. (usually 2019/2020 - but with 100-130k km, depends.

or

2. Buy an older model but with some features (electric seats, heated seats, maybe panoramic and some other features - but older 2016-18 and maybe even better km, like 60-70k km AND buy and upgrade myself these features (the new steering wheel, tablet and front bumper + Panamericana grill)?

From what I've found on the internet, the 2nd option will be around 28k euros (car+accesories).

I'm waiting for some feedback around this topic, would highly appreciate yours.

Thank you!
Old 09-17-2023, 07:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
GLC300, C300
Don't settle and buy down. Get what you want even if you have to save an extra month or three to get it. A few thousand extra to get what you want enhances the owner experience. Save a few thousand and end up with buyer's remorse over having been so close and missing.
I've got a 2017 C300 and a 2020 GLC. The 2020 upgrades to interior and tech are absolutely worth it.
The following users liked this post:
ThosHrubecky (09-23-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 07:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2020 MB GLC300 Coupe
Originally Posted by cirkat07
I love this type of steering wheel: https://shorturl.at/kwNOX
That's a very nice looking "sports" wheel! Almost an AMG wheel with the flat-ish bottom, perforated leather at the side spokes and silver steering wheel controls but without saying "AMG" when it's not actually an AMG vehicle. I'm really digging the stitching on the airbag cover; very nice touch!

I too have been seeking a used GLC. I believe I've located the GLC 300 4Matic Coupe with the AMG Line appearance package that I plan to buy. Sadly it's equipped with the typical round variety steering wheel without the perforated leather. It comes with the black faced steering wheel control units which just don't seem to look as sporty as the silver units. On the other hand, the wheel has the tremendous bonus of being heated... yeah! Whilst shopping, every time I've seen the "sports" wheel (either in person or online), it's never been a heated wheel. Does anyone know if the "sports" wheels (particularly with that nice contrast stitching on the airbag cover!) is manufactured with a heated variant? I've seen the AMG wheel is manufactured capable of bering heated (provided the AMG Drive Unit is not fitted). It's similar enough to the "sports" wheel that it gives me hope that I might be able to locate a heated "sports" wheel somewhere on the planet. (Extra bonus points if I can get it with [or, more likely, I can separately source] the white contrasting stitched airbag cover!) Having had a heated steering wheel, there's no way I'm going to give up that little luxury when moving into the GLC 300 family.

TGH
Old 10-01-2023, 10:57 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 E300 Sport, 2017 GLC300 Sport/Night
Bear in mind that if you buy a pre-refresh (2016-2018) GLC and upgrade to the steering wheel that you like, the cruise control will NOT be cotrollable from the steering wheel buttons: the lower left control stalk will continue to operate the cruise control and the corresponding buttons on the wheel will do nothing.

The earlier GLCs simply aren't wired to control the cruise from the wheel. I looked into this upgrade for my 2017 when it came out, and I was quite disappointed when I discovered it wouldn't control everything.
Old 10-02-2023, 01:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2020 MB GLC300 Coupe
Originally Posted by midesaka
Bear in mind that if you buy a pre-refresh (2016-2018) GLC and upgrade to the steering wheel that you like, the cruise control will NOT be cotrollable from the steering wheel buttons.
Thankfully, the GLC 300 4Matic Coupe I'm expecting to buy is a 2020 example with a build date some time in February of that year.

My hope is that the non-AMG "sports" steering wheel, to which user crikat07 linked (above), is—like the actual AMG steering wheel—manufactured with an OEM heated option.

The vehicle I have reserved at CarMax (pending local title issuance [which CarMax says could take either four to six OR six to eight *weeks* depending upon who at CarMax you ask… grrr!]) came equipped with a round leather-wrapped steering wheel. As it appears to be the regular wheel it comes with black faced control units and omits any perforated leather. I find the silver faced units (and the flat-ish steering wheel bottom and perforated leather) a much more sporty look. Since the AMG badged steering wheel can be ordered as an OEM heated variant, I'm hopeful of finding a non-AMG "sports" wheel available somewhere with an OEM spec-ed heated option.

I'm keen to avoid any mods that introduce the "AMG" badging since my car, sadly, isn't actually an AMG. (It's for that reason I'm seeking a reputable dealer from which to purchase a GTR/Panamericana grill WITHOUT the AMG badging.) My car came equipped with the AMG Line package so it already has those aggressive AMG good looks. I just don't want to give anyone a reason to call me out for "badge engineering". I'm already a bit concerned that the carpeted floor mats say "AMG" on them (but since that's how they came equipped from MB, I suppose I can live with it). Speaking of floor mats, it's strange that MB's configurator website shows that "all-season front & rear floor mats, black rubber" is an available option whereas the "ClearVin.com"generated pseudo-Monroney Sticker states that my car only has "all-season front floor mats, black rubber". Was that an option back in 2020? Looks like I'll need to buy some all-season black floor mats elsewhere.

TGH