GPS Update Interval

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2023, 12:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC300
GPS Update Interval

Hi --

We have a 2022 GLC 300 and I wondered if anyone knows the frequency with which the car updates its GPS location to the Mercedes Me app (and/or the accuracy of the position reported.)

I am asking because on Thanksgiving I was excited to show some friends the features of our new car and the app on my phone and chuckled when I saw the app was reporting our car as being at a location about 5 minutes away even though the car was sitting in our driveway.

Yesterday I checked the app again and similarly the app showed the car at a location about 3 minutes away even though it was, again, sitting in our driveway.

We've only had the car for a few weeks and I had not really checked the location of the car on the app previously so I don't know if this is typical behavior for the car / app or not so any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rich
Old 11-26-2023, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,833 Likes on 2,560 Posts
2019 C63CS
It's updating it fairly frequently. I can even track it when somebody else is driving it. It should also report the location at which the engine is turned off. Mine is very accurate. The only times when it's somewhat off is if there is no direct line of sight to the satellites like in a parking structure or even my own garage. So like when I park in my garage, it may show the corner of the street a few yards away. I played with Home Assistant a while back and had an automation set up that would automatically open my garage door based on a geofence around my house and the reported location of the car. I did have to make the geofence somewhat large in order for the garage to open before I pulled up in my driveway, but it was only a few blocks that was required. Eventually decided not to leave it in place, because I prefer to have line of sight before the garage door opens.
Old 12-01-2023, 09:42 AM

GLC300
I think the issue may be because we have bad cell phone reception at our house because the app pretty consistently shows the car as being somewhere about 2 - 3 minutes from our house. The one bad thing though is the app thinks the engine is still running so we can not remote start the car on these cold winter days.
Old 12-01-2023, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by RWmorey
I think the issue may be because we have bad cell phone reception at our house because the app pretty consistently shows the car as being somewhere about 2 - 3 minutes from our house. The one bad thing though is the app thinks the engine is still running so we can not remote start the car on these cold winter days.
Yes, I forgot to mention that. All this of course requires a reliable cell connection, otherwise it can't report its location and other services won't work, either. If the status is not updating correctly that's a good indication that the car doesn't have a strong enough cell connection.
Old 12-01-2023, 01:06 PM

GLC300
Is it possible to connect the car to our home Wifi? And would it auto connect as it approaches the house so it would update the location of the car (and engine status!)?

Thanks

Rich
Old 12-01-2023, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by RWmorey
Is it possible to connect the car to our home Wifi? And would it auto connect as it approaches the house so it would update the location of the car (and engine status!)?

Thanks

Rich
Not with the current generation. MBUX 2.0 in the newer models such as the W223, W206 etc. can connect to your home Wi-Fi for updates etc. I played with this in a recent loaner and was able to browse the Internet in the car while parked in my garage and connected to my Wi-Fi, but the Mercedes me services weren't activated and the car was obviously not added to my account, so I couldn't test if they actually work over the Wi-Fi connection or if they still rely on a cellular connection. I would assume that they would work over the Wi-Fi connection.