Help: Extended Warranty vs CPO for Lease Buy Out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300
Help: Extended Warranty vs CPO for Lease Buy Out

Hello everyone,

New to forum. My lease on my 2020 GLC 300 is about to end and I’m going to buy out the lease. Im still under the original warranty, so I have the option to get the extended warranty. A few questions (in important of order)

1. What is the main difference between the Extended Warranty and the Certified Pre-Owned Warranty. If I buy the car directly from MB (not a dealer) are both options? Pros cons to each in terms of coverage?

2. If I buy the MB extended warranty, is there a deductible for any covered items? Where can I find what is / is not covered?

3. If I paid for the sales tax at the time of the original lease, why must I pay for the sale tax again at the buy out?

4. Any tips to get the $150 lease distortion fee waived?

5. Is the prepaid maintenance package worth it? Car has ~35k miles and is 4 years old. Think I’ll keep it for ~3 more years. Is the prepaid maintenance worth it? Does that come with access to loaner cars from gen dealership, etc?

6. anything else I should think about / tips as I’m going through this buyout process?

I’m a rookie - thanks for patience with these simplistic questions from a novice!

Old 05-04-2024, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 722 Likes on 703 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to X253 forum...
Old 05-05-2024, 08:19 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
GLC300, C300
The prepaid maintenance is good, particularly in times of inflation. It protects you against price increases at the shop. The year 4 maintenance is a pricey one. Having that included in your plan will mean savings.

I've got a 2020 CPO, I have been using the balance of factory warranty to this point, so I haven't had the opportunity to use the CPO coverage yet. To my knowledge there's no deductible on repairs.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:52 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
2020 GLC300 touring version (but I miss my '93 300SE W140 tank)
I purchased a 2020 CPO with 4,000 miles on it that now has 57,500 miles. I purchased an extended warranty at the time. So far, the magic has worked in that nothing has gone wrong with the car since purchase. I plan to keep it until premium gas is no longer available. I trust my dealer so I would advise you to direct your concerns to your finance manager (the one who actually offers the warranty). I believe he will answer any questions you have. In my case, it was a "take it or leave it" proposition. I had three options and chose the one for 6 years (counting from manufacture) and unlimited miles. I also chose the prepaid maintenance which did save some money as it locked in the cost of maintenance at pre-inflation levels. I love my GLC300 more than ever and firmly believe it will outlast me.
The following users liked this post:
pleeson (05-13-2024)