2023 GLC will not start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 06:21 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC
Originally Posted by Eaton
They never usually list the vins.
Thanks. We are working on getting a '23 delivered to NV (from CA). The VIN would have helped make sure this procedure was done before the sale is complete if needed....guess I will just have to reach out to the dealer and make sure it is done if it needs it and hope I don't get lip service that it was.
Old 06-16-2023, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 563 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by efr1
Thanks. We are working on getting a '23 delivered to NV (from CA). The VIN would have helped make sure this procedure was done before the sale is complete if needed....guess I will just have to reach out to the dealer and make sure it is done if it needs it and hope I don't get lip service that it was.
It's a service campaign so anytime it is booked into the dealer, it will show up and they will do it.
Old 06-16-2023, 06:58 PM

GLC
Thanks again. Given what is happening with this problem...I guess I just consider this of top importance. Even if we had it I would be headed straight to the dealer We lived through a Land Rover with starting problems, and nothing is more joyous than sitting for 3 to 4 hours (especially in the Vegas heat) waiting for a tow truck to take your vehicle back to the dealer, which depending on the time of day may not even be open.
Old 06-16-2023, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 C43 AMG
Since they seem to know the exact number of vehicles, I'm surprised the VIN's are not on here....unless I am missing something.

Thank you for this information. My sales consultant told me via email today that “there’s a software update and a check for connector that can retain water in a high humidity environment, should not be a problem going forward”.
I was skeptical but after reading this, my sales consultant is telling the truth. Still makes me feel uneasy though.
Old 06-16-2023, 10:31 PM

2019 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by KrayzieVetteGLC
lets see i have a corvette made by GM that has all new tech with the damn engine in a place it hasn't been in 60 years, zero problems. i have a subaru that actually has more tech than this GLC by far, but is dog**** slow and costs half as much as this car, so I bought the GLC because i hated how slow it was, and it can't go 3-4 days without wanting to blow up. What exactly, cutting-edge tech is in this thing that you want to make excuses for? A huge ipad that disconnects every day from my phone? This car is cool, but there's no real "tech" behind it. It's not even a "real" hybrid. Doesn't give it any more power or better gas mileage (1MPG), it just makes it so the auto stop/start isn't so brutal. There's zero excuse to have a brand new car for 3 weeks, and it's been in the shop for 2 of them. who cares how fancy it supposedly is, if it leaves you stranded once a week on the way to work. My local dealer doesn't even want to give a loaner out except for "extreme" cases. I'm just trying to see the benefit here of buying a Mercedes. There's always the lemon law, at least
What month did you buy your GLC?
Old 06-16-2023, 10:35 PM

2019 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Bryce1023
Sorry to hear about the issues some 2023 GLC owners are experiencing. When you depend on your vehicle almost daily, recurring problems can become much more than just an inconvenience. Have not yet pulled the trigger on the 2023, have an order in with no obligation to fulfill. I am more seriously considering the 2022, much bigger savings especially with such high interest rates, tried and true reliability ( for a MB ), and in my opinion just as nice looking, especially the exterior. We all realize that the 2023 will have many recalls, will experience problems that only become apparent when vehicle is used in actual everyday driving situations, and will go through some growing pains until it becomes about half as reliable as a Japanese car, which is MB benchmark for reliability. I bought a GLE in its second model year and seem to have many fewer issues than when it first came out. I bought the 350, not the 450 which has too many issues with its 48v battery. Best of luck with your new GLC and eventually it will all be worked out.
You sound just like me. I too am in the same boat. Negotiating back and forth until I really started researching this vehicle. I already had 5 Mercedes and this one would have been my 6th but I can already tell it’s gonna be a headache by what others have so far said. It’s too bad cause it’s a gorgeous vehicle. But for all that money and the brand itself, this is not a good start for this new redesigned model.
Old 06-17-2023, 08:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,391 Likes on 2,039 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by JayStanaford
I too am having the exact same issues with our 2023 GLC300 and have taken vehicle in to service center a few days ago. I was told Mercedes released a software update last night for the Powertrain control unit and they would attempt to install it today. I expect to pick up my car tomorrow. I'll update when I know more
Yay a fix!
Old 06-18-2023, 05:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 Mercedes GLC, 2021 BMW X3
Glc not startfix

I also heard from my dealer that they got a software fix friday!
Old 06-18-2023, 11:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by jjt1234
Thanks for reporting to this thread, glad to hear.
Old 06-18-2023, 04:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 GLC 300
Same Issue

Originally Posted by Nevab
I purchased a 2023 GLC two weeks ago and twice it has not started. When I open the door, it starts beeping and flashing a screen saying the parking brake is not on. When I push the start button, the engine makes a noise like it is trying to turn over and the car scrolls through a series of messages regarding all the functions that are not working, says the 12v system has failed, the vehicle is inoperative and do not change the transmission. The car keeps beeping and flashing messages for several minutes and then shuts down. After a few minutes, it will start normally. Anyone else having this experience? Ideas?

I‘ve experienced the same thing twice. It first happened on May 18th and then again recently on June 15th. I couldn’t start my car for almost an hour. I purchased my 2023 GLC300 on April 29, 2023. After the first time, I took it to the dealership that following Monday (May 22nd). I waited 4 hours for them to tell me that they couldn’t find anything wrong via diagnostic. My advisor did say that it is a common issue with the vehicle. So, they are definitely aware. My problem is when will it be resolved? Good thing I was in my car port the first time it happened and in the grocery store parking lot, near my home, the second time it happened. I have another appointment this week.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:47 AM

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
2021 GLE , 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
2023 software fix

Originally Posted by jjt1234
I hate to sound pessimistic, however, with the 2022 GLC many owner’s experienced a steering wheel vibration. Some of the vibrations occurred after going over a slight bump, while others occurred for no apparent reason. In any case MB identified it as a software problem. They had the software update performed and the problem was supposed to go away. I own 2 2022 GLCs and there is still a steering wheel vibration, in one vehicle more than the other, however, the update only lessened the issue and did not eliminate it, at least in my case.
As far as the 2023 GLC having widespread issues with starting the engine, how in the world could a significant issue such as this not have been resolved prior to releasing the vehicle. I would have to question the thoroughness of the testing a new vehicle by MB. It appears that many of the new vehicles by MB have battery related problems. I hope the software update works better than the one they provided for the steering wheel vibration. As I follow the many informed contributors to this site, I would be shocked if other widespread complaints do not appear regarding this 2023 GLC. It seems that so much about the release of this car has gone wrong. I hope that all the new owners of this attractive new car get everything resolved and enjoy years of happy driving. As for potential new owners perhaps if the situation permits wait awhile before signing on the dotted line.
Old 06-19-2023, 09:04 AM

21 c43
Legend, thank you! Just picked up a 23 GLC for my mom on Saturday. Had critically low starter battery message when we took delivery but I’ve seen that message a few times on my 21 C43 so I knew a long drive would charge it. Sure enough after a drive the app showed charged. Yesterday morning, started fine, after the cold start stopped I turned it off and locked it for 15-20 minutes, then tried to start and wouldn’t (all sorts of dash lights as well, don’t shift gears, 48v system fault, etc.) Out of sheer instinct I got out, locked it, let the computer go to sleep, and to my surprise it started. Same thing happened last night, wouldn’t start power cycle fixed it.

Also the occupant presence sensor keeps saying it’s off on the dash but it’s on in the infotainment settings, I’m sure it’s related to the bug supposedly fixed by the software update. And additionally, the app showed a software update for the communications module as soon as MBUX was activated. It must’ve installed last night or this morning because I just checked the app and it shows it installed. Will start the car after work and see if that fixed it. From reading the letter from MB sent in this thread, I doubt this Mercedes me connect software update is the same one for the 48v issue although I don’t know. Tesla does have OTA updates for everything from UI improvements to recalls, don’t know if MB does the same.

But completely agree with everybody on this thread, gorgeous car, MB really nailed the redesign as they always do but how does something this widespread not get picked up! I think if no issues pop up from the 5 minute drive off the assembly line to the port in Germany then they deem it as “OK”

UPDATE: texted my service manager, the VIN comes up in those 11k affected cars. They have the software, going Thursday to fix. Will keep you all posted, hoping this solves it

Last edited by dcarfora77; 06-19-2023 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-19-2023, 10:10 AM

GLC
Originally Posted by charice1
I‘ve experienced the same thing twice. It first happened on May 18th and then again recently on June 15th. I couldn’t start my car for almost an hour. I purchased my 2023 GLC300 on April 29, 2023. After the first time, I took it to the dealership that following Monday (May 22nd). I waited 4 hours for them to tell me that they couldn’t find anything wrong via diagnostic. My advisor did say that it is a common issue with the vehicle. So, they are definitely aware. My problem is when will it be resolved? Good thing I was in my car port the first time it happened and in the grocery store parking lot, near my home, the second time it happened. I have another appointment this week.
Correct. Just imagine the places you could have been and the severe inconvenience that may have caused. Again, hope to hear from people that have had the software update and say yes, this really fixed it.
The following users liked this post:
charice1 (06-21-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 10:12 AM

GLC
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Yay a fix!
Please confirm here if....IF...it resolves the problem.
Old 06-19-2023, 11:44 AM
e56

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
GLS 450
Software Update

Our dealer did the update last Thursday and returned the vehicle the same day. No problem since then and the check engine light has stayed off. It’s gotten very light use over the weekend but so far no problem. Dealer was very responsive.
eatmydust (07-20-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 04:29 PM

GLC
Originally Posted by e56
Our dealer did the update last Thursday and returned the vehicle the same day. No problem since then and the check engine light has stayed off. It’s gotten very light use over the weekend but so far no problem. Dealer was very responsive.
Great....2 more dealers we have communicated with have claimed to have never heard of this issue.....doubtful....
Old 06-19-2023, 06:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by e56
That is good news!
Old 06-19-2023, 06:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Great....2 more dealers we have communicated with have claimed to have never heard of this issue.....doubtful....
Sorry to hear that, try another dealership. Third times a charm? : ) Or perhaps you can go to forum member e56's dealership?
Old 06-19-2023, 07:49 PM

GLC
HAHA...well, we did. We went to our local MB dealer to test drive a '24 GLE this morning. (We drove a '23 GLC a few weeks ago). I thought I would throw the question at him....'no, never heard this'.
Old 06-19-2023, 08:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
HAHA...well, we did. We went to our local MB dealer to test drive a '24 GLE this morning. (We drove a '23 GLC a few weeks ago). I thought I would throw the question at him....'no, never heard this'.
Did you ask the service department instead? Maybe sales really don't know unless those customers who have problems let them know but I guess others just simply book an appointment and meet with their service advisor instead?
eatmydust (07-20-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 09:08 PM

GLC
Good point. Unfortunately, we are still trying to by a '23 GLC and for whatever reason, virtually none of them are getting shipped to Las Vegas. Of the 2 dealers here there is a grand total of 1, combined, on the lots. Compare that to Palm Springs, CA for example.....14...Sacramento, CA, 45. The point is we are basically forced to get a '23 from another city, conducting everything over the phone or online. This means I have to make sure the car is updated before I get it because I don't want to have this happen to me.....battery/electrical problems suck...especially when it appears it is so easily resolved. But these sales people, who I will never meet, basically deny, deny, deny. Their #1 concern is getting a sale, getting their commission. So yes, I am frustrated that the answer is 'never heard of this', instead of them either being honest, or at least saying let me go check on that. It will soon be well over 100 where we live (Vegas) and the last thing I want is me or my family getting stranded with an inoperable car in this heat. You could say, why don't I just take it to the local dealer once it gets here? To that I would say....why don't they just make sure it is updated before I get it, why should it get it here, and then turn around and I have to make a local appt. wasting my time. $65,000.....do something salesperson, besides collecting a check! Blogs like this are so invaluable to so many parts of car ownership, particularly as cars get more complex over time. The Land Rover we had, the Acura we own...so many excellent contributors over the years. Those that posted this GLC issue, the copy of MB's 'campaign', etc..thank you. The Palm Springs dealer just now wrote back..."I am not aware of this campaign..." even though I gave him both the campaign number and campaign description from MB's document. You know...I don't care if you don't know about it...go find out about it from your service people, write me back and say..of course...we will make sure this is done before being shipped to you since you inquired about it. The other 2 salespeople...just shoulder shrugs. Anyway...I fell like I am getting grump and old!!!
Old 06-19-2023, 09:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Good point. Unfortunately, we are still trying to by a '23 GLC and for whatever reason, virtually none of them are getting shipped to Las Vegas. Of the 2 dealers here there is a grand total of 1, combined, on the lots. Compare that to Palm Springs, CA for example.....14...Sacramento, CA, 45. The point is we are basically forced to get a '23 from another city, conducting everything over the phone or online. This means I have to make sure the car is updated before I get it because I don't want to have this happen to me.....battery/electrical problems suck...especially when it appears it is so easily resolved. But these sales people, who I will never meet, basically deny, deny, deny. Their #1 concern is getting a sale, getting their commission. So yes, I am frustrated that the answer is 'never heard of this', instead of them either being honest, or at least saying let me go check on that. It will soon be well over 100 where we live (Vegas) and the last thing I want is me or my family getting stranded with an inoperable car in this heat. You could say, why don't I just take it to the local dealer once it gets here? To that I would say....why don't they just make sure it is updated before I get it, why should it get it here, and then turn around and I have to make a local appt. wasting my time. $65,000.....do something salesperson, besides collecting a check! Blogs like this are so invaluable to so many parts of car ownership, particularly as cars get more complex over time. The Land Rover we had, the Acura we own...so many excellent contributors over the years. Those that posted this GLC issue, the copy of MB's 'campaign', etc..thank you. The Palm Springs dealer just now wrote back..."I am not aware of this campaign..." even though I gave him both the campaign number and campaign description from MB's document. You know...I don't care if you don't know about it...go find out about it from your service people, write me back and say..of course...we will make sure this is done before being shipped to you since you inquired about it. The other 2 salespeople...just shoulder shrugs. Anyway...I fell like I am getting grump and old!!!
Hmmm I guess spoon-feed them the information. Show them the recall letter that forum member Eaton posted earlier:
Old 06-19-2023, 09:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
nevermind I can't believe I missed the last sentences of your post, you already showed them the document.
Old 06-20-2023, 11:02 AM

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
2023 GLC 300
Originally Posted by Whamidy
What month did you buy your GLC?
Was around the very end of april.

i was just approved for a lemon buyback today. Good Riddance
Crito (06-29-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 11:06 AM

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
2023 GLC 300
Originally Posted by DESAL
I can’t believe they didn’t offer a loner too. Especially if they don’t have any idea how long the repair will take.

The dealers in South Florida offer loaners if the car will only be in the shop a 1/2 a day. You have to make an appointment. But if you were to present this type of problem there are always cars available. Talk to the service manager and see what he can do for you. I got a set of weather tech floor mats a few years back. They came from a trade in but were in perfect condition. Couldn’t refuse.

Good luck
My local mercedes has so many busted cars that they are "23+ cars behind for loaners" now

Whole thing is a ****show

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2023 GLC will not start