GLC Class (X254) Produced 2023+

Active Lane Keeping Assistant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 05:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 GLC 300 4matic
Active Lane Keeping Assistant

So I am struggling a little bit with this feature. Granted I’ve only put 175 miles on my car but I’ve tried to play with every feature I could possibly think of. The Active Lane Keeping Assistant is throwing me curve ***** though. I do have the Driver Assistance Package.

So I am driving on I-15S to San Diego, 3 lane freeway. I am in the leftmost lane. When I get close to the yellow lane marker on the left the vehicle pulls me back into the center of my lane by itself. When I get too close to the white striping on the right it only makes the steering wheel vibrate but doesn’t pull me back into the center of my lane. In the middle lane it appears to not do anything other than vibrating the steering wheel when I cross the lane marker. In the right lane it only pulls me back in when I get too close to the yellow marker on the right.

Now, I noticed how the symbol in the dash sometimes looks different, i.e., changes to the left or right lane marker. This turns red when the vehicle is pulling me back into the center. The symbol with the two hands on the steering wheel never lights up except when cruise control is on.

Can someone explain to me if it’s doing what it should and what the different variations of the symbols mean?
Old 03-05-2024, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,825 Likes on 2,557 Posts
2019 C63CS
Yes, that's how it works. It only steers you back if you are about to cross a solid line. However, there are two systems and they work independently of each other and each one can be turned on or off separately. There's Active Lane Keeping Assist and Active Steering Assist. The latter is what the steering wheel with the two hands is for. Active Steering Assist only works in conjunction with DISTRONIC. As the name implies, it actively steers the car in your lane. It also doesn't just factor in the lane markers, but cars around you, barriers etc. via the stereo cameras in the windshield and can even change lanes via the Active Lane Change Assist if enabled in the settings. All you have to do is turn on the indicator and if the lane next to you is free, it will change lanes by itself. So this is semi-autonomous driving. These systems and what the symbols and colors mean are described in more detail in your owners manual. Best you give that a read first.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
AllenChicago (05-01-2024), thomasco (03-05-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 07:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 GLC 300 4matic
Thank you so much! I will definitely read the manual once I find some time, this was my first real drive and it was to the airport to fly out for work. I feel like there is so much more to the vehicle than the salesperson told me about.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,825 Likes on 2,557 Posts
2019 C63CS
You are welcome. You can download the owner's manual as a PDF and read it on the plane.

https://www.mbusa.com/en/owners/manuals
Old 03-10-2024, 11:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Glc 300
Originally Posted by thomasco
So I am struggling a little bit with this feature. Granted I’ve only put 175 miles on my car but I’ve tried to play with every feature I could possibly think of. The Active Lane Keeping Assistant is throwing me curve ***** though. I do have the Driver Assistance Package.

So I am driving on I-15S to San Diego, 3 lane freeway. I am in the leftmost lane. When I get close to the yellow lane marker on the left the vehicle pulls me back into the center of my lane by itself. When I get too close to the white striping on the right it only makes the steering wheel vibrate but doesn’t pull me back into the center of my lane. In the middle lane it appears to not do anything other than vibrating the steering wheel when I cross the lane marker. In the right lane it only pulls me back in when I get too close to the yellow marker on the right.

Now, I noticed how the symbol in the dash sometimes looks different, i.e., changes to the left or right lane marker. This turns red when the vehicle is pulling me back into the center. The symbol with the two hands on the steering wheel never lights up except when cruise control is on.

Can someone explain to me if it’s doing what it should and what the different variations of the symbols mean?
check the sensitivity settings.
Old 03-10-2024, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 963 Likes on 739 Posts
G550
There is a button to disable the LKA, left of the steering column just above the headlight switch. Press and hold for 3 seconds until the red light goes out. But it's not sticky -- resets to ON every time you start the car. Apologies if you already know this.
Old 03-12-2024, 02:21 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
E200 2010, G63 2018, E53s 2019, EQS53 Touring 2021, S500 2022, A200 2023
If your GLC has no ALKA, actually it can be turned on by coding, same to the TSA and ADA

Old 03-12-2024, 01:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2023 GLC
Originally Posted by thomasco
Superswiss covered it well. You’re in San Diego so some systems are crippled vs implementations in other countries. I’m not aware of any of them being related to ALKA.

The system activates above 37MPH. If you are too far from one side, or there isn’t a painted line on that side, that side will be greyed out on the dash.

My GLC, much of the time, shows green on both sides and could care less if I cross lanes. I’m on the highest sensitivity setting. It will let me drift across all lanes of an interstate while remaining green for the road lines. It’s been in many times for service related to this but they either say it works as designed or that it’s a system limitation.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 400e
I am interested

Originally Posted by EleBest
If your GLC has no ALKA, actually it can be turned on by coding, same to the TSA and ADA

I am interested in that.pleaee contact me for details
​​​​​​