GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Piggyback Tune

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 09:44 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
AMG GLC43
Piggyback Tune

well, been going back and forth on an ECU tune bs. Piggyback. Hoping to not void my extended warranty, I’ve decided to go with a Racechip GTS Black. Figure I don’t really need this and it was about half as much money to give up only 30 hp. Anxious to see what kind of difference it makes on the car
Old 03-06-2018, 07:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC 43
Originally Posted by TOOGECKO
well, been going back and forth on an ECU tune bs. Piggyback. Hoping to not void my extended warranty, I’ve decided to go with a Racechip GTS Black. Figure I don’t really need this and it was about half as much money to give up only 30 hp. Anxious to see what kind of difference it makes on the car

Are these pretty much just plug n play?
Old 03-06-2018, 08:02 AM

AMG GLC43
Yes, pretty much. A little less power that a full ECU tune but completely reversible. I am a bit cynical about tuning my ECU and then not having the option of undoing it shy of a full reflash, which is expensive and time consuming.
The following users liked this post:
Brew1 (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 09:50 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Flash tune for sure will have warranty issue if anything goes wrong with the car or a new OEM ECU update that could overwrite the tune. than needs to start allover again! Also hard to resale flash tune!
Personally I will stay with piggyback when my car still under warranty, until the warranty ran out, than resale the piggyback and do flash tune and some other major mod if I still had the car. Thats what I do on my M3 and 500 Abarth! For new car or lease cars I will never mess around with warranty! Many piggyback tune is very good, and they do give some performance gain for a small amount of money. Unless the person wants to go full stage 2 or more, bigger turbo etc... than the flash tune is the way to go. than again, these mods will kiss your warranty goodbye!
Old 03-06-2018, 02:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
'17 MB C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by pk9394
Flash tune for sure will have warranty issue if anything goes wrong with the car or a new OEM ECU update that could overwrite the tune. than needs to start allover again! Also hard to resale flash tune!
Personally I will stay with piggyback when my car still under warranty, until the warranty ran out, than resale the piggyback and do flash tune and some other major mod if I still had the car. Thats what I do on my M3 and 500 Abarth! For new car or lease cars I will never mess around with warranty! Many piggyback tune is very good, and they do give some performance gain for a small amount of money. Unless the person wants to go full stage 2 or more, bigger turbo etc... than the flash tune is the way to go. than again, these mods will kiss your warranty goodbye!

That is actually incorrect. The software updates from the dealer do not effect the tune at all. I am stage 1 tuned and I have never had any issues. They also had a couple updates for my car that did not effect my performance (was expecting it to, but thankfully it didn't lol). The problem with piggybacks is that they manipulate ECU signals (basically lying to it) to increase boost by a small percentage. This is not a safe or adequate way to improve performance and I would highly recommend committing to a full ECU upgrade.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:13 PM

AMG GLC43
Originally Posted by 17merc43
That is actually incorrect. The software updates from the dealer do not effect the tune at all. I am stage 1 tuned and I have never had any issues. They also had a couple updates for my car that did not effect my performance (was expecting it to, but thankfully it didn't lol). The problem with piggybacks is that they manipulate ECU signals (basically lying to it) to increase boost by a small percentage. This is not a safe or adequate way to improve performance and I would highly recommend committing to a full ECU upgrade.
i have seen this argument quite a few times but found more refutable proof of ECU problems than I did with
Piggybacks. I researched Race Chip thoroughly and given the number of platforms they support and their years in the business, lack of reported issues and positive reviews, went with what I think is the best option for me at this time. If I get my ECU tuned and want to reverse it, I have nothing to show for it. If I have the piggyback, I likely could resell and go from There. Again, I have been educating myself for months, we’ll see how I feel a mo Th or two after I put it on my car...
Old 03-07-2018, 08:21 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Thats great, may I ask which ECU tune you have so I may take a look and may try it for my upcoming AMG?
Old 03-07-2018, 01:07 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
Originally Posted by TOOGECKO
You can't go wrong with either RaceChip or BMS Jb1 at the moment, for piggy-back. I can tell you that first hand, with the BMS Jb1 really transforms the GLC43.

That being said, I get bored easily and the need for speed itch always resurfaces it's ugly head. So, I am currently looking at purchasing the Eurocharge V3 ECU tune to go with my downpipes. Threefirs over on the c43 forums has this ECU tune and his convertible C43 (which weighs 50lbs more than a GLC43) is running 3.6-3.7 0-60. That's pretty fast. Now, for the GLC43 I know aerodynamics play a factor but if the the convertible C43 can get those times then, I can't imagine we can't be that far off. Mike's custom downpipes add an extra 40hp, not sure how it's distributed through out the powerband but the GLC43 can become a rocketship.

I will be doing this mod after my first service in April.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
'17 MB C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by pk9394
Thats great, may I ask which ECU tune you have so I may take a look and may try it for my upcoming AMG?
AMR Performance. I could not be happier with their product and customer service! I highly recommend checking them out, especially for the 43 platform. No one has done the amount of research and development that they have and it truly shows with their results and accomplishments.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 43
Originally Posted by DameMD
You can't go wrong with either RaceChip or BMS Jb1 at the moment, for piggy-back. I can tell you that first hand, with the BMS Jb1 really transforms the GLC43.

That being said, I get bored easily and the need for speed itch always resurfaces it's ugly head. So, I am currently looking at purchasing the Eurocharge V3 ECU tune to go with my downpipes. Threefirs over on the c43 forums has this ECU tune and his convertible C43 (which weighs 50lbs more than a GLC43) is running 3.6-3.7 0-60. That's pretty fast. Now, for the GLC43 I know aerodynamics play a factor but if the the convertible C43 can get those times then, I can't imagine we can't be that far off. Mike's custom downpipes add an extra 40hp, not sure how it's distributed through out the powerband but the GLC43 can become a rocketship.

Kindly share the results after the tune
Old 03-07-2018, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DameMD

The JB1 at $479 is a bargain.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:08 AM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Mercedes Benz C43 AMG
This is well put and I agree completely. Piggybacks are a waste of money
AMR Performance. I could not be happier with their product and customer service! I highly recommend checking them out, especially for the 43 platform. No one has done the amount of research and development that they have and it truly shows with their results and accomplishments.
Nice! I have an AMR tune as well and I love it. It is definitely worth the money in comparison to other options on the market.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 AMG GTS & 2018 AMG GLC 43 SUV
racechip tune not working

I purchased the GTS Black unit for my 2018 GLC43. I just installed it and the car won't run with it attached. Followed the troubleshooting directions, reconnected factory lines, car works fine. Reconnected unit and car won't run. No error or engine icons on the dash, unit is powering up.

When I disconnected the unit with the RC cables still attached and inserted the plug into where the unit gets attached, the car started but the engine light came on.

I have an email out to RC....hopefully they will be able to fix the problem. Anyone have any suggestions or experienced this themselves?

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:44 AM

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Originally Posted by andyv1
I purchased the GTS Black unit for my 2018 GLC43. I just installed it and the car won't run with it attached. Followed the troubleshooting directions, reconnected factory lines, car works fine. Reconnected unit and car won't run. No error or engine icons on the dash, unit is powering up.

When I disconnected the unit with the RC cables still attached and inserted the plug into where the unit gets attached, the car started but the engine light came on.

I have an email out to RC....hopefully they will be able to fix the problem. Anyone have any suggestions or experienced this themselves?

Thanks.
People had problems installing piggyback units due to bending pins inside the sensors when attaching the piggyback. Well, one Dinan Elite user had this problem anyways. You may want to check to see if you bent any pins.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 AMG GTS & 2018 AMG GLC 43 SUV
Thanks for your reply WSS. Here's an update:
After reconnecting the RC unit and cables everything seemed to run fine except for the "check engine light" that came on.
After a few trips, the light went off. However, I wasn't really feeling the extra power with the unit in Sport and my car in Individual (with mostly sport settings). I changed the RC unit to Race and the car left in Individual and now I could feel the quicker acceleration...nice!

I'm still not convinced that all the gremlins have been worked out. The app seems to work so-so....sometimes it connects, sometimes it is in an endless search. I've seen the RC unit not start-up when the car gets powered up but this morning it did...I'm hopeful, in time, these things more or less sought themselves out...ha...

It's only been three days, but if the unit can provide the power I've experienced...consistently, without flaws, it will be well worth the money.
BTW, if anyone is interested in purchasing one, I found a coupon on-line that gave me 15% discount ($127) off the unit and app that was accepted by RC (although the coupon said RC Ultimate on it).