GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

New GLC43 driving impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 12:01 AM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 GLC43 AMG, 2015 Chevy SS (Holden SSv)
New GLC43 driving impressions

So, I bought my GLC last week and now have about 800 miles on it and it is almost broke in, so no real evaluation of the hp or motor. I drove it from SoCal to NorCal on all secondary roads today, leaving Irvine at 0330 a:m to avoid L.A. traffic. My first impressions of the GLC is that it is effortless to drive fast and far. I used the S setting and put the shocks on firm setting (two red shocks lit up) and proceeded to rip through hundreds of tight twisty corners today. Anyone who has driven on secondary roads in Cali, knows what I am talking about....not many places have roads like this. High speed and no cops all day out in the boonies....great day! I was amazed how Benz was able to produce an SUV that handles essentially like a really good moderate level sports car. It reminded me of flying the F-16, where the engineering, design and function all worked incredibly well integrating the pilot and the jet as one. Same as this car....so well built, engineered and executed, bravo Mercedes! I have been primarily driving Holdens and love those cars. The handling of the mag ride suspension in my Chevy SS (aka Holden SSv) is better than the GLC...but not by much at all. I would say with another 100 hp the GLC would hang with my LS3 equipped SS. The brakes on the GLC are very, very good...never faded all day. I drove for 12 hours and never got tired and honestly it was a joy to drive such a fine machine. Anyone who claims this is not an AMG, and a very special car, has not driven one for a long road trip on a twisty secondary road....try it, and you will agree....this is a true drivers car! Overall I was blown away by the handling of the GLC and that is on the all season tires. I can't wait to put on some sticky summer tires and take her out to the track and enjoy some track days in a badass SUV grocery getter!
Old 10-12-2017, 05:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Good to hear your thoughts Birdman, roads in the UK aren't as good as yours but the 43 is the first car I have had for many years that brings a smile to my face every time I drive it. As easy to drive in traffic as it is on the motorway and it is enough of an AMG for me.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC43 & Range Rover Sport
just got mine as well, and I feel the same way. Irvine you say? I'm a town over I'm coming from a '13 S4 that was tuned and with some suspension work and I have to say I am thrilled with the way this car drives from the factory. I'm still learning all the fancy things the suspension and drive modes can do but I just put it in S+ and push the exhaust button and I'm in pure bliss.

Didn't really think an SUV can get close to a car in driving dynamics....glad I was proved wrong
Old 11-03-2017, 10:52 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 GLC43 AMG, 2015 Chevy SS (Holden SSv)
Welcome to the club SC! I am just now looking to do some mods, there is a cool suspension lowering module from Renntech, but it is expensive. Lowers the car 2". Have fun!
Old 11-04-2017, 03:57 PM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Great to hear and can't wait for mine. Dealer has been pretty silent, so hoping I'm not caught up in some kind of delay. Should have had my VIN by now as production was supposed to be last week.

PS. Thank you for your service!
Old 11-06-2017, 02:49 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
Originally Posted by FightOnSC!
just got mine as well, and I feel the same way. Irvine you say? I'm a town over I'm coming from a '13 S4 that was tuned and with some suspension work and I have to say I am thrilled with the way this car drives from the factory. I'm still learning all the fancy things the suspension and drive modes can do but I just put it in S+ and push the exhaust button and I'm in pure bliss.

Didn't really think an SUV can get close to a car in driving dynamics....glad I was proved wrong
I take it you have the 18 model? Do you have the performance exhaust? If you have the PE then please post sound clip videos. I am so curious to see if my resonator delete comes even close to the PE sound.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC43 AMG
Hi there,

I’m new to this whole forum thing, but I’m hoping for some advice from others that own a GLC43 AMG. I just bought a 2017 GLC43 a month ago (pre-owned with 7k miles on it). I have found that I’ve been chasing interior rattles ever since. I live in the Pacific Northwest, where we get a lot of rain and our roads are full of pot holes. I find that the ride is so harsh, even in comfort mode. Regretfully, I didn’t spend much time with the car at all before purchasing it. I had been looking at a Porsche Macan S but wasn’t impressed with the interior. I got into the GLC43 to go for a test drive and fell in love with the interior, all of the features, the looks of the car, the sound of the exhaust, the engine...but I didn’t pay much attention to the suspension. My family has owned Mercedes for 20 years (this is the first of my own) and my dad always said one of the reasons he buys Mercedes is “they don’t rattle.” I took the car back to the dealership a couple of weeks after I bought it and they fixed 3 separate rattles. Now it’s to the point where every time I drive it, there seems to be a different rattle coming from a different part of the car...they come and go. I’m thinking about getting rid of it and getting a GLC300 as it has a softer ride, but I would miss the 43 engine and other cool features associated with the AMG. Has anyone else experienced rattles? Did I buy a GLC43 that was built on a Friday? Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:34 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
'23 EQS 580
If you are wishing for a more compliant (softer) ride, swap out the run flats. My winter tires are non-RFT and the ride is a lot softer over the bumps and pot holes, might be just what you need to still like the rest. You will of course need to manage against not having a spare tire in the car though.

-Matt
Old 01-10-2018, 12:55 PM

GLC43 AMG
Thanks for the suggestion, Matt. May I ask what brand of tires you swapped the run flats out for and how much they cost?
Old 01-10-2018, 01:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
'23 EQS 580
As mentioned, this is my winter set up (Summer set up is 21" performance tires.)

I put 19" Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires on 19" rims (255/50R-19). They are good in the snow and support spirited driving when the roads are not snow covered. They noticeably softer, a little more compliant that you can feel in hard acceleration, but only in comparison to the performance summer tires.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLC43AMG
Originally Posted by matts
As mentioned, this is my winter set up (Summer set up is 21" performance tires.)

I put 19" Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires on 19" rims (255/50R-19). They are good in the snow and support spirited driving when the roads are not snow covered. They noticeably softer, a little more compliant that you can feel in hard acceleration, but only in comparison to the performance summer tires.
what wheel fitment did you get and do you have pics? Trying to figure out wheels for this thing in non staggered and 19” size
Old 01-12-2018, 09:02 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 GLC 43 & 2014 SLK 350, gone 2016 E63 Wagon
I came from an 2016 E63 wagon to a 2018 GLC43 and I must say that I am used to the AMG approach to the ride quality. I am not that bothered by the somewhat 'harder/harsher' ride with AMG since that is partly why I purchased the E63 and the GLC43. I am currently running with 19" winter tires (run flats 235/55R19 on all four corners). I have not driven with the 21" run flat tires that came with the vehicle yet but I am not really worried much by the potential harsher ride characteristic (again that's part of the AMG experience which you get when you purchase an AMG vehicle). I love the tightness of the GLC43 and certainly look forward to warmer weather when I can ditch the winter tires for the summer tires.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:48 PM

GLC 43
Hey guys,
I am new to this forum... Just picked up our new GLC43 2018 last week. I used to own a Audi Q7 V8 with airsuspension.
I have the 21icnh wheels (no runflats) and drive mostly in comfort mode. The suspension is Still really stiff at comfort mode. The dealer told me it won’t be that stiff anymore after 4500 km’s.... Do you guys have any experience and did the ride got softer after a whille? Should I change the wheels to the 19inch for more comfort? The roads up here can be quite bumpy.
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-29-2018, 04:25 PM

2017 GLC43 W4
MBUSA should address this issue. My 2017 GLC43 with 21" wheels and Continental ContiSport Contact Z rated tires experienced crabbing with LESS than full wheel lock and ALWAYS when my tires are cold at ANY outside temperature. I wanted the 21" wheels but nowhere in my hours spent "Building" on MBUSA do I recall any mention of "Summer Only" tires as the only option with 21" wheels. The owner's manual says DO NOT DRIVE summer tires under 45 degrees. I confirmed the fact with Continental. Perelli Scorpion Verde All-Season are available 1 size larger for the front and 1 size smaller for the rear. The rear would fit but the front 265/40 are three tenths inch taller. That possibly won't work; not sure yet. Also I find conflicting info as to whether that tire requires a minimum wheel width of 8.5" or 9". I'm awaiting a reply from the one national tire chain that's web site says the front tire can be mounted on 8.5" to 10.5" wheels. I think they are wrong; not sure yet.

I'm thinking of approaching MBUSA with the complaint of how embarrassing it is when guests riding in my car think there is something broken with the loud sound it makes when crabbing. Maybe a "class-action" is suitable here.

I would gladly trade these 21" for the 20" AMG Multi-Spoke...
Old 01-29-2018, 05:06 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Prandelli
Hey guys,
I am new to this forum... Just picked up our new GLC43 2018 last week. I used to own a Audi Q7 V8 with airsuspension.
I have the 21icnh wheels (no runflats) and drive mostly in comfort mode. The suspension is Still really stiff at comfort mode. The dealer told me it won’t be that stiff anymore after 4500 km’s.... Do you guys have any experience and did the ride got softer after a whille? Should I change the wheels to the 19inch for more comfort? The roads up here can be quite bumpy.
Thanks in advance!
I don't think so! if only 4.5k miles of usage will get it softer, than what will it do after 45k? AMG is all about preference, If you need soft ride you should go for 300 with AMG line option, you also pick a wrong size of wheels.
To fix your problem, you can go back to 19 inch, you have more meat and air in the tires, you will have a softer ride.
The following users liked this post:
Prandelli (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 06:16 PM

GLC 43
Thnx for your reply. I will keep the 21inch till next winter and then I’ll switch to wintertires with the 19inch, If they feel way more comfortabele I will keep them forever.
I am not gonna buy the 4cilinder Glc 300, prefer a 6 cilinder. I’ll be at the dealership tomorrow because the internet connection doesn’t work yet, the connection is temporaly unavailable.... I’ll ask the sales guy about the comfortmode again... The ride feels so harsh in comparison with my previous Q7 V8. Love the speed and sound of the GLC 43!
Old 01-29-2018, 09:19 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 GLC 43 & 2014 SLK 350, gone 2016 E63 Wagon
I would also be very surprised if the ride will get any softer - AMG's do give you a somewhat harsher ride by design compared to the GLC300. I came to my 2018 GLC43 from a 2016 E63S wagon and the ride in the GLC is not much different. I took delivery of my vehicle in late November 2017 and now have 3500km and the ride is the same as it was when I took delivery. Personally I love the ride and of course the acceleration from the engine.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:28 AM

GLC 43
I am going to change the 21inch for the 19inch (with black) for more comfort. Just spoke to the dealer. The ride is too stiff for me and yes I don't think it will get any softer.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:42 AM

2018 GLC43, 2014 Cadillac CTS-V M6 Wagon, 550whp
So it sounds like at least some 19's fit just fine. Does that include the AMG 5-spoke option for non-AMG's? What other wheels have you gotten to fit? I like the 20's but sometimes they look a little too pimpin' to me, plus the ride thing. Also, my CTS-V wagon runs 19's and they work just fine (and it rides a lot nicer too w/ sport mode just a button push away).
Old 04-30-2018, 12:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
soon-to-be 2018 glc43
i picked up my 43 a few weeks ago. I love most things about this car but there are a few quirks. I’m coming from the bmw family so that’s what im comparing it to. This thing has gobs of torque. Pushes and pushes and pushes. Got up to 105 mph effortlessly on highway 5. Anyhow I know this is a AMG and most people probably always drive in sports or sports plus. But for the occasional city driving in and and around town, comfort mode is a lacking. The power is still there when you need it but the throttle response during NORMAL driving in Comfort mode feels like it should be ECO mode instead. It actually takes a little more effort to drive in comfort because I find myself constantly applying more throttle to maintain speed as it runs to 9th gear many times. I wish mercedes just stuck with 8 gears. Reading a lot of online magazine reviews, they all actually similarly comment on this and now i understand what they mean. Guess my resolution is to always drive in sports mode. But yeah the engine is a beast and this is a very fun car!
Old 04-30-2018, 12:17 PM

2018 GLC43, 2014 Cadillac CTS-V M6 Wagon, 550whp
Originally Posted by Prandelli
I am going to change the 21inch for the 19inch (with black) for more comfort. Just spoke to the dealer. The ride is too stiff for me and yes I don't think it will get any softer.
Same tires, smaller rim diameter but same overall circumference, will almost certainly ride better due to taller sidewall. Maybe RFT's are different but I doubt it. Speaking of RFT's you always broom them and get some high-performance all-seasons, same rim size, that would definitely help the ride.