GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

oil change question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 04:21 PM

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
2017 E400 Coupe & 2018 GLC43
Question oil change question...

my 2018 glc43 is 1 year & 3 months old and only has 1,750 miles on it... (3rd car & not a daily driver) and it's calling for an oil change.

do i base the oil change on mileage or time?

i know mb will say time but i wanted others thoughts as well? tia
Old 12-31-2018, 12:13 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
GLC43
If it were a car you plan on owning for the long-term as in driving it until some major issues occur, I would change the oil. If you're going to turn it over in the next few years, I would leave it as-is.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 Z4
Most manufacturers recommend oil changes at either 6/12 month intervals or mileage based. Part of the reasoning is, even when sitting the vehicle (including the engine) is changing temps on a daily basis and there will be some resulting condensation. Even though the amount of water condensation is small, it just preventative maintenance. Not changing the oil per MB recommendation is just another reason for them to cry foul regarding the warranty. Looks like resetting the service reminder is relatively simple so if you do your own oil change all you have to do is document that you used a approved filter oil - good practice to retain receipts as well.
The following users liked this post:
ajmtbm (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 04:47 PM

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
can they deny warranty work repair if you didn't follow oil change recommendation?
Old 01-01-2019, 11:39 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts
GLC63
mine is 3 weeks old, i was away for 1 week. I have 2500 miles. fml!
Old 01-01-2019, 05:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 Z4
Originally Posted by ajmtbm
can they deny warranty work repair if you didn't follow oil change recommendation?
Certainly not for some electrical, suspension, interior rattle, etc - that is entirely not related to having performed the oil change. However an "Oil" related failure - excessive engine noise or wear to oil lubricated parts - then they might have some comment about exceeding the time or milage recommendation..
Old 01-01-2019, 08:29 PM

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts
GLC AMG 63
Originally Posted by andrew e coupe
my 2018 glc43 is 1 year & 3 months old and only has 1,750 miles on it... (3rd car & not a daily driver) and it's calling for an oil change.

you change on miles or time which ever comes first. The oil has been in the case for a year, and will lose its lubricating ability potentially. Nothing major but would do it to not have warranty issues. My Ferrari goes in annually, and never has more than 1000 miles in a year but time is the element. My GT cars never hit 10k, and will be the same one year because I will never hit the mileage number. My wife’s GLC AMG63 will hit the number on miles because it’s a commuter.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by andrew e coupe

If you don't want to spring for the whole service A just yet then change the oil yourself. I did mine with a vac pump. It's very easy. MB is kind enough to put the oil filter on top of the motor. So all you have to do is pop the filter, vac out the oil and replace with new oil, filter and o ring, and top off. It's super easy and an electric pump runs <$25 on Amazon.

Last edited by Mr. J; 01-02-2019 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Originally Posted by Mr. J
If you don't want to spring for the whole service A just yet then change the oil yourself.
Don't say Service A - I never do. You can just get an stand-alone oil change. I paid $120 for first oil change on GLE63s at dealer last week. Mileage was 9,930.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'18 GLC 63, '21 Model Y
Both my cars call for once a year or every 10k miles.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 GLC43
Personally I do my first oil change around 3k
then every 5k or 1 year.
Even thought it full synthetic.
I only use Mobil 1 and have to request it as some dealers don’t use Mobil 1
The dealer wants to sell me a A service however with staggered tires there is no rotation to be done.
I like to do my first oil change early as it gives me peace of mind.
Am I wasting money ? Maybe
But you have to remember oil is the life blood of your vehicle .
Old 01-06-2019, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GLC 43
Hi, I have done some oil research before, did my own old lab tests on an Acura and VW VR6.
Amsoil reduces wear metals ppm almost half vs mobil 1. I saw others post data sheets similar results.
That was a while ago before improved M1, they say original M1 was not real full synthetic for some reason.
Maybe new M1 extended life is better now.

I only use Amsoil. It was a very long time ago a friend who was a salesman had 200k miles on a Fiat broke a timing belt bent valves,
mechanic called him to ask what kind of oil, never saw a motor look that good at 100k miles.

One of the big diesel fleet claims they get 3-4% better gas mileage with it.

Some manuf not sure about MB, may say dont drain oil early because it is breakin oil. So I dont know that about MB yet.

I like to drain new car at 1.5k miles, then every 10k. At about 7-8k miles amsoil may still be amber semi-transparent on dip stick.
In reports I've seen of taking a lab sample every 3k miles on mobil 1 vs. amsoil, amsoil will last 20k miles easy but I do 10k.
The extensive report also showed that used oil is better than brand new oil. 1st test at 3k miles has more wear metals than 2nd test at 6k miles, imagine that.
Chaning filter in between oil drains also cuts wear metals substantially. I would change filter at 5k miles if it was special car I was keeping.

I have seen amsoil tests come in higher viscosity with age, is one reason to change at 10k miles not 20k.

Changing filter also gets you a pint of fresh oil and that is very helpful to boost the base number. It is surprising that it doesnt take that much fresh oil to boost
base number meaningfully.

Base number is the main point about changing by time every year. Without being used, oil still loses its base number its alkalinity as a function of time, that is important for corrosion.
I think there is an additive made just for boosting the base number.

Last edited by AMGTim; 01-06-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:45 PM

2018 GLC43
I have been using Mobil 1 for years and have never blown a motor.
My friend is a research chemist and recommended Mobil 1 years ago as they never stop improving the product.
Plus it’s a recommended product of Mercedes.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:17 PM

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Joe biker
Personally I do my first oil change around 3k
then every 5k or 1 year.
Even thought it full synthetic.
I only use Mobil 1 and have to request it as some dealers don’t use Mobil 1
The dealer wants to sell me a A service however with staggered tires there is no rotation to be done.
I like to do my first oil change early as it gives me peace of mind.
Am I wasting money ? Maybe
But you have to remember oil is the life blood of your vehicle .
the A service does not include tire rotation on any model
i believe it just includes oil change, new wipers, and a bunch of checks
so basically it is just an oil change

and the B service includes the same but add change of air and cabin filters and if i remember correctly brake fluid.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GLC 43
Mobil 1 is no problem and will not cause a blown motor, the conclusion of the test and other oil comparisons, I have also seen a

Castrol vs Amsoil, the Amsoil is the best for significantly less wear metals in oil samples vs. the normal range of wear metals for other oils.

I havent seen and wont

be doing an oil test comparison with M1 latest european formula. It takes a couple years to take oil samples on two

different oils during use depending how many miles the car runs. At the time I did 20k a year and could do the comparisons.

You wouldnt do in on a new car with original oil either so its

into the 2nd or 3rd year of ownership before I could do any oil tests.

Originally Posted by Joe biker
I have been using Mobil 1 for years and have never blown a motor.
My friend is a research chemist and recommended Mobil 1 years ago as they never stop improving the product.
Plus it’s a recommended product of Mercedes.

Last edited by AMGTim; 01-07-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:34 AM

2018 GLC43
I built a motor in my rabbit pickup years ago
every thing was new including the oil pump.
About a year and half after I was 40 miles from home and my oil light came on.
I took the oil pressure switch out of the head and started the motor no oil pressure.
The motor was quiet and no odd noise so I put the switch in and drove home.
When I got home I dropped the pan and removed the pump.
I took the pump back to the vendor to get a new pump he said he couldn’t tell the difference between the new pump and my dab pump so he just exchanged it for me.
The motor inside was just as clean as the day I rebuilt it.
That truck went for over 200k more miles without any engine problems.
Thats what sold me on Mobil 1 !!!!!
I have been using it ever since in everything I own motorcycles,cars,even my generator.