GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

G01 BMW X3 M40i finally out, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 04:34 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
G01 BMW X3 M40i finally out, thoughts?

Well as the title states, BMW revealed the new X3 M40i SAV.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/06/27/fi...karound-video/

I was actually thinking about taking a look at one if BMW had brought it to the market at the same time I was looking for an SUV. It seems as if BMW took forever to build this truck, but from the real world photos, it doesn't seem as if they put a lot of effort into the design like what Mercedes did to the GLK to make it a GLC. Also, looking at the interior, BMW is still behind Mercedes and Audi.

I am glad I didn't wait for the BMW, though it may have been a toss up for the Audi SQ5 if it was out like 3 months ago. I am super curious for a head to head with the Germans - GLC43 vs. X3 M40i vs. Audi SQ5.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:57 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2018 GLC43 (On Order)
I used to love BMW... sadly with my (personal) taste BMW has now fallen behind Audi which now sits just behind Mercedes. In fact, if it weren't for the virtual cockpit that Audi has, I would look right past them alongside BMW -- I don't recall the last time I saw a legitimate refresh or change either lineup. And perhaps that is fine for most people, but there hasn't been anything from either of those two that have wowed me. This X3 looks "fine", the interior looks blah, the steering wheel looks lame, and it almost seems as though it's grown to be the size of what the X5 used to be. Seems with the launch control the X3 M40i get's to 60 a sliver quicker than the GLC43... but I'll still take the Mercedes. Call me biased, because I am, but I'll still take the GLC43 over this. I think I would also take the SQ5 over this.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:24 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic Sport
Mercedes has technically had a partial digital display for years in-between the dials, which BMW (and I'm pretty sure Audi) didn't have, so I don't think the full digital display is a big reason to switch. Once the facelift comes in, the GLC will get the dual screens so that will be remedied.

Where I do think the GLC would fall short in a comparison test would be the fixed torque split which (at least according to Motor Trend) would make it potentially less flexible off-road and in snow than the Macan, SQ5 and F-Pace. No word yet on whether there is variable torque distribution in the new X3 since there is nothing in the press release, but that's the only point I see where the GLC would need an upgrade in the next generation. I don't own one (yet) so GLC43 owners can speak to that better than I can.

I think the X3 looks better than the previous generation and essentially looks like a shrunken X5 now. I'm still not a fan of the rear though. Curious to see how it does off-road and in the snow, but given the choice I'd still pick a GLC43.

That said, I do like all these new generation sporty crossovers. With all the outdoor accessories (ski bags, roof boxes, bikes, etc.), it seems to me that they're marketing them at 20s-30s males, which is fine with me since I fit into that demographic.

Last edited by MB300AMG; 06-27-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 781 Likes on 501 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I think GLC>Macan>X3>SQ5
Old 06-28-2017, 06:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Details for new X3 UK cars just released, base model is £4500 more than present model.
x3m40 is £51280 which is £3000 more than GLC43.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I think the interior is quite nice once you get a higher trim level. I like the stitched leatherette dash in this picture and the leather trimmed airbag on the steering wheel is a nice touch. In X3M trim with full merino leather this car will be very nice.

Also it has a 12.3" digital cluster option which the GLC does not. It's way nicer than the SQ5 with its cheap plastic dash and tiny 7" nav screen.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 06-28-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:31 AM

X3 M40i
Maybe it's just me but I am not feeling that interior at all. I have the designo Platinum white interior in my GLC43 and everybody thinks it looks like a baby S-Class when they get in. I am not saying it's bad as I really had high hopes for the M40i but, it doesn't have that luxury feel. It's also going to be dated soon as BMW finally updated the interior on the X3 from a 2013 335i from what it looks like. 3 series will probably get a refresh soon, and the x3 interior will be another 3-4 years behind.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:19 PM

2018 GLC43 (On Order)
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
I think GLC>Macan>X3>SQ5
Tough one ... while the last two I'll throw out the window, $$ aside, I'm pretty torn between GLC and Macan. I personally put GLC > Macan because of the cost .. but if they were the same price with all options... hmmmmmmmmm
Old 06-29-2017, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by /////Tbro
Tough one ... while the last two I'll throw out the window, $$ aside, I'm pretty torn between GLC and Macan. I personally put GLC > Macan because of the cost .. but if they were the same price with all options... hmmmmmmmmm
But you can get $10k off a 2017 Macan Turbo these days so it comes out very close to a GLC63. I ordered the GLC63S for 3 reasons: V8, HUD with better NAV, and better safety (Pre-Safe with Cross-traffic protection and pedestrian detection). Were it not for these things, I would have ordered a Macan Turbo.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:52 PM

2018 GLC43 (On Order)
But you can get $10k off a 2017 Macan Turbo these days so it comes out very close to a GLC63. I ordered the GLC63S for 3 reasons: V8, HUD with better NAV, and better safety (Pre-Safe with Cross-traffic protection and pedestrian detection). Were it not for these things, I would have ordered a Macan Turbo.
Well if you're comparing to a GLC63 then we're talking different beasts. I spec'd out a Macan S to a GLC43, factoring in discounts on both ends for similarly equipped vehicles the 43 comes in ahead (lower). The 63 is too much car for me for a daily driver. The 43 is good enough for the weekdays. But if you're talking 63 then we're in different price targets.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by /////Tbro
Well if you're comparing to a GLC63 then we're talking different beasts. I spec'd out a Macan S to a GLC43, factoring in discounts on both ends for similarly equipped vehicles the 43 comes in ahead (lower). The 63 is too much car for me for a daily driver. The 43 is good enough for the weekdays. But if you're talking 63 then we're in different price targets.
Fair enough:

Other benefits of other brands:
BMW will probably have a full leather option which Mercedes doesn't offer on any trim level.
BMW will have wireless Apple CarPlay and wireless phone charging neither of which are offered in the Mercedes
Porsche also offers Apple CarPlay (wired version) but Mercedes doesn't have that either.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:07 PM

X3 M40i
Fair enough:

Other benefits of other brands:
BMW will probably have a full leather option which Mercedes doesn't offer on any trim level.
BMW will have wireless Apple CarPlay and wireless phone charging neither of which are offered in the Mercedes
Porsche also offers Apple CarPlay (wired version) but Mercedes doesn't have that either.
What is this full leather option that BMW is offering? What's the difference between that and the designo interiors that Mercedes offers?
Old 07-01-2017, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by DameMD
What is this full leather option that BMW is offering? What's the difference between that and the designo interiors that Mercedes offers?
With the Designo interior the dash is napppa look MB-Tex, and the lower door panels (e.g. The door pockets are still plastic.

Full leather means it is all leather.

This is something that wouldn't be relevant to you as a 43 owner, but for people who cross shop a GLC63 vs a X3M, there is an option to have more leather and less plastic in the BMW.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:48 PM

X3 M40i
Yeah I am over it now. I do have the LED headlamps I just don't have the active headlights. I had the ILS on my previous Mercedes and last 5 infinitis. The LED headlamps I do have are still much brighter than the Bi-xenons with ILS on my 2013 c350. My lease was coming to an end and I didn't have the luxury to wait for a special order or dealer order, I had to choose between what options that were available at surrounding dealerships in a 500 mile radius. My main concern was to have Designo interior and even that option was like finding a needle in a hay stack. I still got a pretty good deal since my GLC has every selectable option save for the P3 package.

When my lease is over in 3 years I will be looking at either a GLC63 or X3M so it doesn't matter.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Yeah I am over it now. I do have the LED headlamps I just don't have the active headlights. I had the ILS on my previous Mercedes and last 5 infinitis. The LED headlamps I do have are still much brighter than the Bi-xenons with ILS on my 2013 c350. My lease was coming to an end and I didn't have the luxury to wait for a special order or dealer order, I had to choose between what options that were available at surrounding dealerships in a 500 mile radius. My main concern was to have Designo interior and even that option was like finding a needle in a hay stack. I still got a pretty good deal since my GLC has every selectable option save for the P3 package.

When my lease is over in 3 years I will be looking at either a GLC63 or X3M so it doesn't matter.
3 years from now the X3 and GLC will be old, and the second gen Macan will be the one to buy!
Old 07-01-2017, 07:53 PM

X3 M40i
Not sure if you sat in a Macan but I did and the rear legroom was not the best. The front seats were excellent. When I positioned the seat to where I wanted it and my son who is 6'3 sat behind me, I had to move the front seat forward. That automatically turned me off, I don't care if it was 0-60 in 2 secs. If they improve rear legroom and headroom it will be on top of my list for SUVs. I don't have to do that in the GLC43 as my son sits behind me and I sill have more room to move my seat back.

The X3M is not coming out until later in the year of 2018 per BMWblog.com sources, so by the time it actual shows up In show rooms it won't be that old. I am fine with a 2 year old design hopefully they have worked out all the kinks and issues by then.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Not sure if you sat in a Macan but I did and the rear legroom was not the best. The front seats were excellent. When I positioned the seat to where I wanted it and my son who is 6'3 sat behind me, I had to move the front seat forward. That automatically turned me off, I don't care if it was 0-60 in 2 secs. If they improve rear legroom and headroom it will be on top of my list for SUVs. I don't have to do that in the GLC43 as my son sits behind me and I sill have more room to move my seat back.

The X3M is not coming out until later in the year of 2018 per BMWblog.com sources, so by the time it actual shows up In show rooms it won't be that old. I am fine with a 2 year old design hopefully they have worked out all the kinks and issues by then.
Agree. This is also one of the things that put me off the Macan. Although the second generation will address the interior space issue I am sure. It is a common concern.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Unless they completely redesign the outside of the Macan, I won't be buying one, in my opinion it looks awful. I can't see the space issue being solved as the car will remain roughly the size it is now so as not to step on the Cayennes toes, if they give more space for 2nd row the boot will be even smaller.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by Philamg
Unless they completely redesign the outside of the Macan, I won't be buying one, in my opinion it looks awful. I can't see the space issue being solved as the car will remain roughly the size it is now so as not to step on the Cayennes toes, if they give more space for 2nd row the boot will be even smaller.
It will get bigger. Porsche is aware of the feedback and they respond to customer feedback. Examples include offering the bench seat in the new Panamera, the upcoming HUD implementation.

The new Cayenne is going to come as both an SUV and Coupe, and so will the Macan. It will also be bigger. The Macan will follow a similar model. The Macan was trying to bridge coupe and SUV styles which is what compromises it's trunk. Once they separate these styles the SUV version will have plenty of space.

Here is an image of the Cayenne Coupe. It looks gorgeous IMO. In fact if Mercedes takes forever to give me a build date for make my custom ordered GLC63S with the red designo interior, then I might switch to the new Cayenne if the shipping dates start to converge (Cayenne is expected to be announced at Frankfurt and ship in December).

Old 07-02-2017, 01:45 PM

X3 M40i
stealth.pilot I have to ask you a question. Something that has been boggling me is that every time you post you put GLC63S. Unless you are aware of some special dealer ordering guide that nobody else is aware of, where are you getting the "S" from? From what I have read, the GLC63 wont be getting the "S" form anytime soon and all first allocations are just regular GLC63 which means no 500+HP on initial first year models. "S" usually means a little more beefed up power, suspension and other amg add-ons which bumps the price quite a bit.

Or does the coupe come in "S" form and the SUV gets the regular 63 version. Never mind, just read your sig and you have the GLC63 coupe on order which does get the S trim.

Last edited by DameMD; 07-02-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
stealth.pilot I have to ask you a question. Something that has been boggling me is that every time you post you put GLC63S. Unless you are aware of some special dealer ordering guide that nobody else is aware of, where are you getting the "S" from? From what I have read, the GLC63 wont be getting the "S" form anytime soon and all first allocations are just regular GLC63 which means no 500+HP on initial first year models. "S" usually means a little more beefed up power, suspension and other amg add-ons which bumps the price quite a bit.

Or does the coupe come in "S" form and the SUV gets the regular 63 version. Never mind, just read your sig and you have the GLC63 coupe on order which does get the S trim.
That's correct the GLC63S Coupe is what I have ordered for my wife.

We would have bought the SUV if it was available in the S guise, but it wasn't.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I think GLC>Macan>X3>SQ5
I'm cross shopping all of these to replace my aging RDX. Pricewise, I will have to compromise a bit on the Macan. The "best buy" seems to be the GLC43 so far. I wonder how competitive the X3 M40i will be?
Old 07-11-2017, 12:51 PM

X3 M40i
Originally Posted by Sincity
I'm cross shopping all of these to replace my aging RDX. Pricewise, I will have to compromise a bit on the Macan. The "best buy" seems to be the GLC43 so far. I wonder how competitive the X3 M40i will be?
It will be pretty competitive considering they are in the same segment. BMW has launch control which means it will probably get a better 0-60 when tested by the Car Mags. Car and Driver Mag instrument tested the current X4 M40i and it has the the GLC43 they tested beat by .1 of a sec 0-60 and the exact same quartermile time at 13.1 @ 105mph. I seriously doubt most people will be using launch control every day so the performance should be about even. We all know that BMW ridiculously underrates their HP & TQ so that may explain why BMW X3 can stick with a GLC even though the GLC has higher published HP &TQ. I am waiting for a Head-to-Head test to see which one handles better.

I got a really good deal on my GLC43 and my lease rate is about $$50 more a month than I was paying on my old 13 c350. I know BMW lease rates are superior to MB so that may also be a factor. I dislike the BMW interior but I think X3 will have more tech. I may have considered one if it was out when I was car shopping due to the aftermarket support they have (if that's your thing). B. I hope Mercedes-AMG adds launch control to their 43 models in the future. That will awesome since Audi does it in their S models and now BMW with their M40i models.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:00 PM

X3 M40i
Post deleted... where is the delete post button now? My iphone is posting in wrong threads

Last edited by DameMD; 07-13-2017 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Post dele
Old 08-11-2017, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amg glc 43 coupe ordered, about to be cancelled
I think GLC>Macan>X3>SQ5
The Macan drives better than the GLC, even the GLC43 (slightly), but the interior cockpit with all those buttons is just crazy bad on the Macan.
Attached Thumbnails G01 BMW X3 M40i finally out, thoughts?-porsche-macan-interior.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G01 BMW X3 M40i finally out, thoughts?