GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

How much will ride comfort suffer on 63 versus 43?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Corvette
How much will ride comfort suffer on 63 versus 43?

Our sales guy has a C63S Coupe and he actually steered us to ordering a GLC43 Coupe versus placing an order for a GLC63S Coupe allocation they had. His main reasoning is we are expecting (having a baby, so this would be the main baby hauler) and he thought the ride quality in the GLC63S Coupe would be as "bad" as his C63.

He said comfort mode between his car and the GLC43 was noticeably smoother and softer on the 43. Also, lower profile tires on the 63 contribute to a worse ride as well.

So, what say you guys?? Anyone know the tires on the upcoming 63S? Also, I'm guessing the sales guy is right that the programming on the suspension will be more stiff on the 63 because of its increased performance.

Is the GLC43 Coupe going to be a more comfortable, smoother daily driver than a GLC63S for my wife and baby??
Old 08-04-2017, 12:56 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2018 GLC43 (On Order)
Originally Posted by quikag
Our sales guy has a C63S Coupe and he actually steered us to ordering a GLC43 Coupe versus placing an order for a GLC63S Coupe allocation they had. His main reasoning is we are expecting (having a baby, so this would be the main baby hauler) and he thought the ride quality in the GLC63S Coupe would be as "bad" as his C63.

He said comfort mode between his car and the GLC43 was noticeably smoother and softer on the 43. Also, lower profile tires on the 63 contribute to a worse ride as well.

So, what say you guys?? Anyone know the tires on the upcoming 63S? Also, I'm guessing the sales guy is right that the programming on the suspension will be more stiff on the 63 because of its increased performance.

Is the GLC43 Coupe going to be a more comfortable, smoother daily driver than a GLC63S for my wife and baby??
Wait... your SA is translating the ride quality of his C coupe to a GLC coupe? I will be completely honest, I don't have much knowledge on the actual C coupe (I only looked at these very briefly so I don't recall the specs), but, as far as the GLC63 (I don't believe MB has released a whole lot of details on the S version of the GLC63 and if they have, I haven't seen it), I thought the main suspension platform was the same with the air body control suspension, and I don't see that being taken away for the S and you should have the same mode selections. Although different designs the wheel options are 20" and 21" for both the GLC43 and 63. I wouldn't think there would be any noticeable difference in ride quality between the two vehicles and if you are concerned about a stiff ride, perhaps any of the AMG renditions would not be an ideal conclusion.

I would be comfortable betting that the ride is the same and that your SA would like you to buy a 43 now, rather than wait for a 63S.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
If the GLC63 has air suspension there will be no noticeable difference in ride quality between it and the GLC43.

Comparing it to the C63s coupe is apples to oranges.

GLC43 is very fast. The GLC63s is going to be pull sub 4s 0-60 high 11s on the quarter mile. It may not be the best choice for a "baby hauler".
Old 08-05-2017, 11:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
'17 Mercedes GLS550
GLC63 will have the air ride. I bet the ride won't be very different at all compared to the GLC43 since it also uses the air ride. Don't ever trust a sales person. They always have hidden motives and will convince you to do something to their advantage.

And the GLC63s hitting high 11's in the quarter mile sounds very optimistic to me. I think the C63s coupe barely breaks 11's, if it does at all. How can a significantly heavier SUV be quicker?
Old 08-06-2017, 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by damnitBobby
GLC63 will have the air ride. I bet the ride won't be very different at all compared to the GLC43 since it also uses the air ride. Don't ever trust a sales person. They always have hidden motives and will convince you to do something to their advantage.

And the GLC63s hitting high 11's in the quarter mile sounds very optimistic to me. I think the C63s coupe barely breaks 11's, if it does at all. How can a significantly heavier SUV be quicker?
We'll find out once they publish 1/4 mile times for it. I doubt that the GLC63 will be much heavier than the C63. It will also have the 9sp tranny. MB is claiming a 3.7sec 0-60 time for the GLC63s coupe (same as the C63s) so 1/4 mile times are going to land somewhere between the high 11s and low 12s.