Car & Driver review of the GLC 43 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by ngerstman
. If I wasn’t here trolling, this forum would be a whole lot more boring, with nothing but glc43 owners in group think patting themselves on the back and hugging one and other. I wouldn’t say that the Audi isn’t sports focused, just a bit less so than the glc, one doesn’t require a stiff jarring suspension to be sports oriented, the sq has a better adjustable air suspension and more versatile and no run flats, and 0-60 in 5 seconds is plenty quick, handles well enough to be fun, has gorgeous 21 inch rims. Like I said, both cars are great, it depends which set of attributes are important to you. Most glc43 and sq5 buyers are looking for a step up in performance over the 4 cylinder turbos but still want all the latest in tech, a nice interior, and a quiet cabin, not a car to run at the track or to tear around mountain roads. You’re the exception. I’m here to be attacked so bring it on! I’m a uniting force for you guys. Regards. Ned

Ned,
If you think the ride of the GLC43 is too jarring you must have a glass ***. My c450 is a bit rougher than I'd like but the GLC43 is very smooth in both sport and comfort settings.

SQ5 is a nice ride. When we were shopping I had the search narrowed to the GLC43, the SQ5, and the F pace. Merc won out for us. Audi exterior styling is a bit too conservative for my tastes and deserved or not I do not trust Audi's drivetrain reliability.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by birdmanf16
Well, a troll indeed! I suppose you are just doing a service for this forum.....good for you Ned. You are really helping us out, God bless you and enjoy stirring the pot
if nothing else, railing at me takes our minds off of politics for a few minutes, that has to be worth something. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:37 AM

2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by Mr. J
Ned,
If you think the ride of the GLC43 is too jarring you must have a glass ***. My c450 is a bit rougher than I'd like but the GLC43 is very smooth in both sport and comfort settings.

SQ5 is a nice ride. When we were shopping I had the search narrowed to the GLC43, the SQ5, and the F pace. Merc won out for us. Audi exterior styling is a bit too conservative for my tastes and deserved or not I do not trust Audi's drivetrain reliability.
. I love the suspension on the Audi, just the right balance, the Mercedes has erred on the side of firm for sure, but mind you it’s only an issue on rough surfaces or over bumps. My 2011 e550, which is absolutely great, exhibits similar behavior, fabulous most of the time but jarring in even small ruts. I believe Audi has a very good track record on engine/tranny, I personally don’t trust bmw so much. As for styling, the glc is an upgrade over the old glk body which was kindly, quirky, don’t consider the glc a particular looker either. Both great though, we should enjoy our great fortune. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisk03
Don't be mad at us because you bought a "tarted up" Volkswagen Tiguan with fake exhausts and a 0-60 that my grandmother could almost match in her Camry XSE V6. It has a great ride and is hi-tech also, but only uses go flat tires. It sounds like you might have been better suited for a RAV-4. How's that for trolling...haha, j/k. I do like the fact you are kicking it up a notch in the forum. As I said, enjoy your SQ5, I may have gone with one if it had a little more sporting attitude, a la the 43, and a better exterior design (personal preference, I realize), but I do love Audi interiors. I'm also betting I would have gotten nowhere near the deal on the SQ5 that I did on the GLC43...just icing on the cake. Now the RS3...but alas, too cheap to pay the mark-ups. All the best!
. An rsq5 would be the ticket! Regards. Ned.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
. I love the suspension on the Audi, just the right balance, the Mercedes has erred on the side of firm for sure, but mind you it’s only an issue on rough surfaces or over bumps. My 2011 e550, which is absolutely great, exhibits similar behavior, fabulous most of the time but jarring in even small ruts. I believe Audi has a very good track record on engine/tranny, I personally don’t trust bmw so much. As for styling, the glc is an upgrade over the old glk body which was kindly, quirky, don’t consider the glc a particular looker either. Both great though, we should enjoy our great fortune. Regards. Ned.
Not sure why you keep talking about suspension/ride quality. We are driving baby AMG's geared towards Sporty Driving characteristics versus comfort. Obviously all of us driving our GLC43 could have afforded the Audi but to me, it's just that something is missing for me in that truck (SQ5). Yes the updated interior is nice but we also are aware that the refreshed GLC43 will have the new digital dash and bigger Command/Infotainment screen too, in the not so distant future. I am also driving on 21 inch wheels in the inner city of D.C. I can tell you that my truck rides and handles light years better than my 2013 c350 sedan which rode harsh, though not a good comparison to the SQ5.

Also, as other's have mentioned, the power of the GLC43 is unmatched saved for the Macan Turbo and we have yet to see the new X3 M40i comparison. IMHO, the one thing that turns me off with audi is the modding scene. The way Audiusa drops the hammer on individuals that modify their vehicles and flags them is a turnoff for me. One of my friends got the new S5 and got a Statis tune for it. All he did was go for his first service and his Service Guy mentioned that they flagged his S5 for his tune. That's pretty ridiculous. There was no reason for them to check for his tune. He's actually pretty pissed that he's about to put the car back stock, take a hit and go to either a c43 or 440i.

I am quite happy with my GLC43 and tune. My service guy is aware of my tune and resonator delete, as we were all gathered around my truck in the service lane discussing the mods and what I am planning on doing next.

Last edited by DameMD; 10-16-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by DameMD
Not sure why you keep talking about suspension/ride quality. We are driving baby AMG's geared towards Sporty Driving characteristics versus comfort. Obviously all of us driving our GLC43 could have afforded the Audi but to me, it's just that something is missing for me in that truck (SQ5). Yes the updated interior is nice but we also are aware that the refreshed GLC43 will have the new digital dash and bigger Command/Infotainment screen too, in the not so distant future. I am also driving on 21 inch wheels in the inner city of D.C. I can tell you that my truck rides and handles light years better than my 2013 c350 sedan which rode harsh, though not a good comparison to the SQ5.

Also, as other's have mentioned, the power of the GLC43 is unmatched saved for the Macan Turbo and we have yet to see the new X3 M40i comparison. IMHO, the one thing that turns me off with audi is the modding scene. The way Audiusa drops the hammer on individuals that modify their vehicles and flags them is a turnoff for me. One of my friends got the new S5 and got a Statis tune for it. All he did was go for his first service and his Service Guy mentioned that they flagged his S5 for his tune. That's pretty ridiculous. There was no reason for them to check for his tune. He's actually pretty pissed that he's about to put the car back stock, take a hit and go to either a c43 or 440i.

I am quite happy with my GLC43 and tune. My service guy is aware of my tune and resonator delete, as we were all gathered around my truck in the service lane discussing the mods and what I am planning on doing next.
. Just back and forth banter. I appreciate that the glc43 has the amg badge but the sq5 has the s badge which is the Audi version of amg light. They are compatible vehicles in the package that they are attempting to offer, a higher performance version of their mid size, best selling suvs. They are both fun to drive. I harp on the suspension because most people who buy these are older gen x’ers or baby boomers, many of these buyers want comfort along with performance. I drove both vehicles many times and even in comfort the glc in hard over rough surfaces, part of that could be run flats but that’s the way they come, it is what it is. The Audi is materially more comfortable over rough surfaces and I will invariably drive over such surfaces almost every time I’m out, hence I went with the Audi. It has a great, versitile suspension, I happen to think it is much better for my needs and most likely the needs of most buyers in the class. And just because it is more comfortable in comfort mode doesn’t make it un-sporty, let alone how it drives in dynamic mode. The marketing of the amg badge powerful is, and can be hard to resist for many but I broke free of “the force”. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:56 PM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
. Just back and forth banter. I appreciate that the glc43 has the amg badge but the sq5 has the s badge which is the Audi version of amg light. They are compatible vehicles in the package that they are attempting to offer, a higher performance version of their mid size, best selling suvs. They are both fun to drive. I harp on the suspension because most people who buy these are older gen x’ers or baby boomers, many of these buyers want comfort along with performance. I drove both vehicles many times and even in comfort the glc in hard over rough surfaces, part of that could be run flats but that’s the way they come, it is what it is. The Audi is materially more comfortable over rough surfaces and I will invariably drive over such surfaces almost every time I’m out, hence I went with the Audi. It has a great, versitile suspension, I happen to think it is much better for my needs and most likely the needs of most buyers in the class. And just because it is more comfortable in comfort mode doesn’t make it un-sporty, let alone how it drives in dynamic mode. The marketing of the amg badge powerful is, and can be hard to resist for many but I broke free of “the force”. Regards. Ned.
Well, if you are bored some weekend, go drive the GLC43 with the 21's and summer tires (non RFT's) and post back. I would love to hear you thoughts about that. I honestly think that would have a made a world of difference in the ride quality...in all modes. RFT's are still so harsh, especially in cold weather and crap roads, that I'm amazed they don't bother you more in your SQ5. No disagreement on the RSQ5, that would be another nice addition to this space.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:23 PM

Well, if you are bored some weekend, go drive the GLC43 with the 21's and summer tires (non RFT's) and post back. I would love to hear you thoughts about that. I honestly think that would have a made a world of difference in the ride quality...in all modes. RFT's are still so harsh, especially in cold weather and crap roads, that I'm amazed they don't bother you more in your SQ5. No disagreement on the RSQ5, that would be another nice addition to this space.
I would love to have driven the glc43 with regular tires but I never came across one and wasn’t willing to make the leap of faith that the experience would be much different not on run flats. The Audi does not have run flats and I was actually shocked just how good the ride was with the 21 inch rims. When the new glc first came out I assumed I would eventually get one, loved the new interior, assumed the new Command would be better and knew the turbo six would eventually be offered. All things being somewhat equal, if I don’t like the suspension, that’s a deal killer for me. And unfortunately I have read many less than enthusiastic comments on Command, Mercedes just keeps missing there. The Audi uses Google maps and the online search function for destinations works just like Google on my phone, fast and responsive. The engine/tranny on the glc was clearly great, better than the sq5, which may exhibit a slight amount of turbo lag on occasion, but not anywhere enough to kill the fun and that may disappear once I have more experience with the car, I’ve only had it for 5 days. Both are great vehicles, if outright performance is your top priority, the glc makes sense, but for me, the sq5 has enough performance and the suspension and better user friendly technology won out. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:53 PM

GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
I would love to have driven the glc43 with regular tires but I never came across one and wasn’t willing to make the leap of faith that the experience would be much different not on run flats. The Audi does not have run flats and I was actually shocked just how good the ride was with the 21 inch rims. When the new glc first came out I assumed I would eventually get one, loved the new interior, assumed the new Command would be better and knew the turbo six would eventually be offered. All things being somewhat equal, if I don’t like the suspension, that’s a deal killer for me. And unfortunately I have read many less than enthusiastic comments on Command, Mercedes just keeps missing there. The Audi uses Google maps and the online search function for destinations works just like Google on my phone, fast and responsive. The engine/tranny on the glc was clearly great, better than the sq5, which may exhibit a slight amount of turbo lag on occasion, but not anywhere enough to kill the fun and that may disappear once I have more experience with the car, I’ve only had it for 5 days. Both are great vehicles, if outright performance is your top priority, the glc makes sense, but for me, the sq5 has enough performance and the suspension and better user friendly technology won out. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Ah, thanks for the correction on the tires for the SQ5, my misunderstanding. Can't lie, as an Android user I wouldn't mind having the Google goodies vs Command, but it's all a trade off and what's a better fit for the individual. 5 days, still a newbie...ha. What color? I'll look for ya in NJ, travel the State frequently. Enjoy!
Old 10-16-2017, 11:25 PM

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
2014 E63S Wagon 2017 BMW X5 3.5i 2012 BMW X5 3.0D and 2000 Porsche 911
What wonderful days we are living that we have so many awesome choices that everyone can find their version of "perfection."
Old 10-17-2017, 01:57 AM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 GLC43 AMG, 2015 Chevy SS (Holden SSv)
Ned,
Obviously your issue are the roads in Jersey! If you lived on the correct coast and were not so old and fragile, you would have bought the GLC43 I still enjoy going to the track for track days, and the GLC or Macan are the two choices.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by rlevy
What wonderful days we are living that we have so many awesome choices that everyone can find their version of "perfection."
. Couldn’t agree more, past the days where the smaller suv meant “much less good” or afterthought product. These are great practical vehicles. I actually liked the Porsche design but not good value versus Mercedes or Audi. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by birdmanf16
Ned,
Obviously your issue are the roads in Jersey! If you lived on the correct coast and were not so old and fragile, you would have bought the GLC43 I still enjoy going to the track for track days, and the GLC or Macan are the two choices.
Actually the sq5 lives in South Florida, enough bad roads everywhere it seems to me. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:12 PM

GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Actually the sq5 lives in South Florida, enough bad roads everywhere it seems to me. Regards. Ned.
Well, after your comments, I went and test drove an 18 SQ5 this weekend to compare to the GLC43. Overall, a very nice and likeable sport-ute, but not enough to pull me away from the 43. It drives well, but feels somewhat big and heavy to me even though it also feels fast. I didn't get a chance to really push it, but it handled the curves fine with good throttle response in Dynamic mode, and to what I think is your point, a more comfort-sport attitude vs sport-comfort...if that makes sense. The interior tech/materials/layout up front was awesome and I would love to have the Google tech/virtual cockpit aspect in the 43...bummer. It had the diamond stitched leather and although it didn't look bad, I prefer and would option perforated leather, if I purchased the vehicle. No other real complaints per se and I think the C&D review was fairly accurate overall in their analysis of the 3 sport CUV's. I personally don't like first model year vehicles, which is a strike, but the SQ5 also would probably be a little less expensive than the 43 depending on discount...which probably wouldn't be that much considering a brand new SQ5 model. Either way, I understand many of your comments and why you purchased the SQ5 even though I prefer the 43. Enjoy!
Old 10-26-2017, 03:52 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
I may have missed it but in case the link to the online review hasn't been posted...

https://www.caranddriver.com/compari...omparison-test
The following users liked this post:
DameMD (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 04:22 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
Originally Posted by scotchy
I may have missed it but in case the link to the online review hasn't been posted...

https://www.caranddriver.com/compari...omparison-test
Good find!!! As stated before, not sure how car and driver are getting these good times. 0-60 for the SUV now 4.3? Wow, no wonder when I got the JB1 tune on full retard this truck is a monster. This also shows what others were saying about the SQ5 vs GLC43. You want comfort, creature features and no fun, get the Audi. You want a brute with some decent tech features, get the GLC. When the GLC get its refreshed interior with the digital dash and bigger infotainment screen like the GLC F-Cell then, the reviews regarding Tech features should be better.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by DameMD
Good find!!! As stated before, not sure how car and driver are getting these good times. 0-60 for the SUV now 4.3? Wow, no wonder when I got the JB1 tune on full retard this truck is a monster. This also shows what others were saying about the SQ5 vs GLC43. You want comfort, creature features and no fun, get the Audi. You want a brute with some decent tech features, get the GLC. When the GLC get its refreshed interior with the digital dash and bigger infotainment screen like the GLC F-Cell then, the reviews regarding Tech features should be better.
The glc43 is no doubt the sportier vehicle when compared to the sq5, but not by that much, these are suv’s after all, not Porsche 911’s. I’ve had the sq5 for two weeks and while not as “thrilling” to drive as the glc perhaps, it’s still plenty fun fo drive, handles well, quick enough, great tech, great interior and nice stereo. The suspension is meaningfully better than the glc, more versitile, tight in dynamic mode and still sporty yet comfortable in comfort mode. Don’t know why this thread need be so defensive, the Mercedes does some things better, if outright performance is your objective, it’s probably the right choice. I’m happy with the sq5 for the better balance package that it is for me. I enjoy it very much and look forward to driving it every day and have plenty of fun. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:36 PM

Well, after your comments, I went and test drove an 18 SQ5 this weekend to compare to the GLC43. Overall, a very nice and likeable sport-ute, but not enough to pull me away from the 43. It drives well, but feels somewhat big and heavy to me even though it also feels fast. I didn't get a chance to really push it, but it handled the curves fine with good throttle response in Dynamic mode, and to what I think is your point, a more comfort-sport attitude vs sport-comfort...if that makes sense. The interior tech/materials/layout up front was awesome and I would love to have the Google tech/virtual cockpit aspect in the 43...bummer. It had the diamond stitched leather and although it didn't look bad, I prefer and would option perforated leather, if I purchased the vehicle. No other real complaints per se and I think the C&D review was fairly accurate overall in their analysis of the 3 sport CUV's. I personally don't like first model year vehicles, which is a strike, but the SQ5 also would probably be a little less expensive than the 43 depending on discount...which probably wouldn't be that much considering a brand new SQ5 model. Either way, I understand many of your comments and why you purchased the SQ5 even though I prefer the 43. Enjoy!
I think we pretty much agree. I would love the sq5 to have the quickness of the glc43 but as I’ve said, there were just too many things on the correct side of the ledger for the sq5 versus the glc, especially the suspension, which probably tilted the scales for me. I tried to like the glc but every time I test drove one and went over rough roads it was just too jarring, I’m too old for that. There does appear to be a hint of turbo lag on the sq but I love everything else about it and have absolutely no regrets with the purchase, would do it again. Which ever way you go, enjoy! Regards. Ned.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
People are probably defensive because this is a Mercedes forum, have you thought about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Enjoy your car and we will enjoy ours.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Philamg
People are probably defensive because this is a Mercedes forum, have you thought about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Enjoy your car and we will enjoy ours.
it’s a discussion forum where people come for information about the glc as well as thoughts about competing products, some people are open for civil discussion, some like to get defensive. Many people who have not made decisions can benefit from the competing opinions of members who have driven the competing products, I know I appreciate that aspect of these forums, I benefitted from that discussion, I wish there was more honest dialogue at times. I am enjoying the sq and obviously many are enjoying their glc, I’m happy for all. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes GLC43 AMG
Ned, with the greatest respect but are you on the payroll at Audi, genuine question?
Anyone on this forum who has driven both cars like myself, has a completely different opinion to you and doesn't understand your reasoning no matter how well intentioned it might be!!

I still think that you've got buyers remorse and that in reality you are regretting buying a dynamically inferior car in the SQ5 - I have yet to read any reviews either here or elsewhere that says the SQ5 is the better car, we can't all be wrong...........
Old 10-27-2017, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by gibbo37
Ned, with the greatest respect but are you on the payroll at Audi, genuine question?
Anyone on this forum who has driven both cars like myself, has a completely different opinion to you and doesn't understand your reasoning no matter how well intentioned it might be!!

I still think that you've got buyers remorse and that in reality you are regretting buying a dynamically inferior car in the SQ5 - I have yet to read any reviews either here or elsewhere that says the SQ5 is the better car, we can't all be wrong...........
US World and News has the q5 as their number one suv in the class as derived from world wide reviews of vehicles in the class. I wish I worked for Audi as it would mean I had a job as opposed to being unemployed, having been terminated after ACE buying Chubb in 2016 after 29 years, but that’s another story. Absolutely no buyers remorse, you don’t seem to be understanding any of the essence of what I’ve been saying in my comparison review. I’ve said the glc is more dynamic, if that was my sole criteria I would have bought one. But I drive it on real world roads with real world imperfections, I use the tech regularly, I live in the cabin. Taking everything into consideration, I preferred the Audi, it isn’t as dynamic as the glc but the way you dismiss it one would think it was a Rav 4, it clearly is not. I think there are many people on this forum who went to UC Berkeley, my way or the highway. Thanks for the hospitality. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes GLC43 AMG
Ned, again with the greatest respect you are coming across as "trolling" now!!
For balance my last car was a 2015 VW Touareg which is known as a comfortable, long distance cruiser and I can honestly say that I find that the air suspension in Comfort mode on the GLC is just as comfortable as the Touareg was, and the seats are far more supportive too.

I sincerely hope that you find employment soon if that is what you want, maybe then you will have something else to focus on rather than trying to justify to yourself on here just why you bought the wrong car :-)
Old 10-27-2017, 03:16 PM

Ned, again with the greatest respect you are coming across as "trolling" now!!
For balance my last car was a 2015 VW Touareg which is known as a comfortable, long distance cruiser and I can honestly say that I find that the air suspension in Comfort mode on the GLC is just as comfortable as the Touareg was, and the seats are far more supportive too.

I sincerely hope that you find employment soon if that is what you want, maybe then you will have something else to focus on rather than trying to justify to yourself on here just why you bought the wrong car :-)
Trolling perhaps but in the good aspect of the word. Only responding to people responding to me. I think I’ve made it clear that I don’t believe I bought the wrong car nor have I suggested that you bought the wrong car. I can only guess that you’ve missed something in the translation from American to Proper English. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
YAWN

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car & Driver review of the GLC 43 AMG