GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Car & Driver review of the GLC 43 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 06:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 GLC 43 AMG, 2013 Boxster
Car & Driver review of the GLC 43 AMG

Car & Driver seems to agree with our choice of the GLC 43 AMG, for their Nov. issue did a comparison against the new Audi SQ and Porsche Macan S. Check it out.
All it took me to decide was a test drive when the 1st one rolled into the nearest dealer and my order was placed. Still smiling after 8 months of driving it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Widman:
Nationalleaguer (10-11-2017), Swordfish99 (10-25-2017), TicketBait (10-11-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 09:41 AM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 GLC43 AMG, 2015 Chevy SS (Holden SSv)
reviews on GLC

I read many reviews and viewed many on Youtube on the GLC43 before purchase. Nearly all were good or better than good reviews. I think I ran accross one not so good review and that surprised me after I got my GLC. Some people just don't like a certain brand. or have favoritism for their "team" and don't want to admit another vehicle can be as good, or nearly as good as their team product....Porsche. I drove the Jag SUV and was not really that impressed with the interior or the transmission. It did not blow me away like the GLC did after driving it and sitting in the comfy confines within. It already had 2 lights blazing on the dash that indicated future quirks with the car. It did look a bit sexier than the GLC, but I did not pursue it due to the interior and the lights. I thought about the Maserati, but was concerned about the Italian build quality issues that are sure to arise and it was about 10-15k more expensive. The Macan is probably the stand out for the comparisons with this group and is the performance standard. My neighbor's wife has one and it just looks too small in the back seat to really qualify as a 5 passenger family SUV, so that was out. I looked at the Cayenne, but it is honestly so ugly and common in Orange County, I could not get past the looks. I also thought about a Jeep SRT and then the thought left me after I sat in the GLC! Overall, I consider this the best mid size Sport SUV on the market and fairly unique as well.
The following users liked this post:
klipprand (10-30-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 10:26 AM

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts
'18 Black GLC63S
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...pe-test-review

Great review as well.
Chrisk03 (10-14-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
Originally Posted by Nationalleaguer
How the heck is Car and Driver launching these trucks without launch control? Crazy that they got 0-60 for GLC43 Coupe at 4.3 seconds and the SUV at 4.5 seconds. Seeing as how my current tune has gain me 65+hp and 80+tq, I am wondering what kind of numbers I am pulling. I need to get to the track soon.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by Widman
Car & Driver seems to agree with our choice of the GLC 43 AMG, for their Nov. issue did a comparison against the new Audi SQ and Porsche Macan S. Check it out.
All it took me to decide was a test drive when the 1st one rolled into the nearest dealer and my order was placed. Still smiling after 8 months of driving it.
I couldn’t disagree more with the Carand Driver review. The only meaningful real world way that the glc is better is in 0-60 acceleration. I recently test drove the glc43, the Macan s and the Audi sq5 Prestige. The ride of the Mercedes was easily the worst of the bunch, just plain uncomfortable on anything but pristine roads, made my teeth rattle on rough pavement. The air suspension in the Audi was leagues superior, not even close. The interior materials nicer in Audi, the MMI Nav system with Google maps far superior to still horrible Mercedes. The useful tech in Audi is great and the logic of the system quick to master. Voice activation with Google online search feature great. Ride and real world handling great. All three of the suv’s especially the Mercedes and Audi are miles better than their predecessors. I test drove and played around with each multiple times, in real world driving and functionality, the Audi is hard to beat. Car and Driver blew this one big time, not sure what they were thinking, I need to actually use my tech in the car, not be tortured by it and I don’t drive on the Bonnaville Salt Flats. The glc is ok, but the Audi is great. Sorry guys. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Ned

Yours is the only report I have read that puts the sq5 ahead of the 43, as an all round package the 43 is better in my opinion, as for the macan, I couldn't drive a car around that looks like that.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by ngerstman
I couldn’t disagree more with the Carand Driver review. The only meaningful real world way that the glc is better is in 0-60 acceleration. I recently test drove the glc43, the Macan s and the Audi sq5 Prestige. The ride of the Mercedes was easily the worst of the bunch, just plain uncomfortable on anything but pristine roads, made my teeth rattle on rough pavement. The air suspension in the Audi was leagues superior, not even close. The interior materials nicer in Audi, the MMI Nav system with Google maps far superior to still horrible Mercedes. The useful tech in Audi is great and the logic of the system quick to master. Voice activation with Google online search feature great. Ride and real world handling great. All three of the suv’s especially the Mercedes and Audi are miles better than their predecessors. I test drove and played around with each multiple times, in real world driving and functionality, the Audi is hard to beat. Car and Driver blew this one big time, not sure what they were thinking, I need to actually use my tech in the car, not be tortured by it and I don’t drive on the Bonnaville Salt Flats. The glc is ok, but the Audi is great. Sorry guys. Regards. Ned.
I guess that if you want a boring, soulless car then you've made the right decision. The Audi may have the better tech and a debatable better finish but as a drivers car it's miles behind, and that is coming from someone who's driven all the main contenders on non-perfect UK roads.
I pick my cars because of how they drive not because of the fact I can get Street View on the Navigation system or by spending time feeling the soft touch plastics, after all this is something to be enjoyed and it's not a washing machine that you buy because it's got an extra button over the competitor.
Enjoy your choice as I will mine.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:12 AM

2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by gibbo37
I guess that if you want a boring, soulless car then you've made the right decision. The Audi may have the better tech and a debatable better finish but as a drivers car it's miles behind, and that is coming from someone who's driven all the main contenders on non-perfect UK roads.
I pick my cars because of how they drive not because of the fact I can get Street View on the Navigation system or by spending time feeling the soft touch plastics, after all this is something to be enjoyed and it's not a washing machine that you buy because it's got an extra button over the competitor.
Enjoy your choice as I will mine.
I would add that the glc had 20 inch rims and my sq5 has 21 inch rims. I personally hate run flats, like driving on solid hard rubber. My review was based on my qualitative and quantitative judgements, I really enjoy the vehicle. Not sure what nonsense comments like “soulless” mean, it does things well or it doesn’t across many parameters. The Mercedes is a bit more go cart like, more of what I used to associate with bmw. What I used to associate with Mercedes and why I had been a customer for 25 years was the best balanced suspension, comfortable yet still great driving and handling. Seems to me they are currently emulating “the driving machine” ethos, while good for some, not good for me in the real world of bad roads. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:15 AM

Mercedes GLC43 AMG
Mine doesn't have runflats, and soulless means just that, devoid of soul, it's not really that hard to understand!!
Old 10-13-2017, 10:31 AM

Mine doesn't have runflats, and soulless means just that, devoid of soul, it's not really that hard to understand!!
. They all come with runflats in the US. So my sq that does 0-60 in 5 seconds, has a great suspension, gorgeous interior and great technology is “soulless”. Whatever. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:38 AM

Mercedes GLC43 AMG
I get that you are happy with your purchase as I am mine, we are all different and like different things.
I like a drivers car which the SQ5 as capable as it is, is definitely not.

At the end of the day it would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing....
Old 10-13-2017, 10:47 AM

'18 Black GLC63S
i test drove the SQ5 and a GLC43 to decide whether to go with Audi or Mercedes. I really liked the GLC, so I ordered the GLC63. In terms of finish, both cars have a lot going for them. Personally, I liked the GLC interior a lot better. The Audi interior is nice, including the tech, but the Mercedes interior appealed more to my taste. As for the driving dynamics, I thought both drove well, but IMO, the Mercedes had more bite and felt more refined. Again, you cannot go wrong with either. My biggest disappointment with the Audi was the exhaust. For a sport performance SUV, I would have expected a better exhaust package. The fake pipes just ruin the car. Maybe they will develop an RSQ5 and fix this clear miss. I am still going with the GCL63 all day.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:41 PM

GLC AMG 43
AMG 43 Worth the Wait

Well here in Scotland the GLC AMG 43 is a fairly rare sight as diesels still are the favourite of corporate buyers. However, just to buck the trend and fly in the face of current road taxation the GLC 43 is a winner. It is not just about the car but also the dealer experience. After just 2 days of ownership I can see all the journalist's reviews coming to life. To have a Porsche Macan may be as good or better but the cost of all those essential extras makes it a non starter. In the UK, the GLC AMG 43 has all the facilities and what an engine and transmission..just amazing. From order to arrival in Scotland was ca 4 months.

Only discovery - the plastic-type rattle from the rear compartment on rough roads is generated from the plastic internal rear window surround chattering on the glass. Solved by a little piece of foam! So you can enjoy that torque in peace and quiet. Overall, a great car with personality in abundance.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:16 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
I love the GLC 43.. we have a silver and grey one now for sale. I ordered a c43 for myself...car and driver said 4.1 0-60 on the c43... I think they adjust for temps and elevation?
Old 10-14-2017, 10:59 PM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
. They all come with runflats in the US. So my sq that does 0-60 in 5 seconds, has a great suspension, gorgeous interior and great technology is “soulless”. Whatever. Regards. Ned.
The 21’s in the US are non-runflats...precisely why I went with them, but they are summer tires. After my run flat experience in my BMW, I will never purchase a vehicle with them, they suck. I would argue that would have made a big difference in your test drive. That said, I looked at the 18 SQ5 and it just didn’t do it for me like the 17 and prior. Yes, the interior is much better and really nice, but there was something about the outside that I wasn’t happy with vs the prior gen, 43, or Macan. I’m glad you are happy with your purchase, that’s all that matters. Enjoy your SQ5, I can’t wait for my 43. 👍🏻
Ciaofun (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisk03
The 21’s in the US are non-runflats...precisely why I went with them, but they are summer tires. After my run flat experience in my BMW, I will never purchase a vehicle with them, they suck. I would argue that would have made a big difference in your test drive. That said, I looked at the 18 SQ5 and it just didn’t do it for me like the 17 and prior. Yes, the interior is much better and really nice, but there was something about the outside that I wasn’t happy with vs the prior gen, 43, or Macan. I’m glad you are happy with your purchase, that’s all that matters. Enjoy your SQ5, I can’t wait for my 43. 👍🏻
. This class of vehicle has come a long way, no longer built as a cheaper version of the next larger class model. Acura was first here with the RDX but totally dropped the ball by cheaping out on it in newer model versus the MDX. The glc, q, and Macan are all really nice vehicles. They each offer a different set of great attributes that will ultimately add up to the package that works for the buyer. The Mercedes and Porsche are no doubt a bit more of a drivers car but imo the Audi won in most other parameters, technology, ride comfort, comfortable seating and cabin materials. Mercedes continues to frustrate their buyers with their Command system and the suspension has most definitely gone stiffer in an effort to bury bmw. I test drove the Audi and Mercedes a bunch of times, recently and earlier this year, and the Audi air suspension just works better, and at my age I wanted less road imperfections transmitted to my body in the comfort mode setting. I usually have a lot of respect for Car and Driver, but I think their “motor head” mentality blinded their judgement in this comparison review, the rating gap between the too cars just isn’t that wide, and as you can surmise from my opinion, I would rate the Audi a bit over the Mercedes with the Porsche third. Enjoy the glc43, it is a great driving vehicle. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:28 AM

Mercedes GLC43 AMG
Ned, that's just it, its your opinion. You come on a mercedes forum to say that the Audi is the better car, why is that perhaps it's buyer's remorse?
Old 10-15-2017, 11:44 AM

Ned, that's just it, its your opinion. You come on a mercedes forum to say that the Audi is the better car, why is that perhaps it's buyer's remorse?
. Not in the slightest, I really like the Audi, it’s great. I’ve been a Mercedes customer for 30 years, I have a lot of respect for both brands. And yes these are my opinions based on my test driving of the three brands. Some of these things are subjective, some are measurable. The Mercedes is quicker, driving on rails kind of suv. The range on the suspension settings is all to the firm side, the Audi more comfortable yet still in control, it is what I like. The MMI system on the Audi is great, Mercedes Command disliked by many including many on Mercedes forums, their nav not great. Many agree that the interior materials on a Prestige level Audi higher in general than Mercedes, which is absolutely no slouch either, I love the glc and New e interiors. I’ve owned 5 Mercedes over the last 30 years, 2 Audis, can’t say I’m Audi biased. Just here discussing, providing information. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:14 PM

'18 Black GLC63S
Ned - I respect your opinion but on a Merc forum, you are not going to get much sympathy, yet alone objectivity. The prevailing reviews of the SQ5 are that it’s a solid performer in the segment but is too conservative, too soft in its ride, and well behind in performance. I’ve said this before on the forum, but the fake exhaust is unconscionable.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Ned - I respect your opinion but on a Merc forum, you are not going to get much sympathy, yet alone objectivity. The prevailing reviews of the SQ5 are that it’s a solid performer in the segment but is too conservative, too soft in its ride, and well behind in performance. I’ve said this before on the forum, but the fake exhaust is unconscionable.

Seems to me that Ned is trying to convince himself that he has made the right decision, I would suggest moving on to the Audi forums where he may find someone to agree with him.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:11 PM

The fake exhaust is certainly puzzling, very strange, kind of like Mercedes pumping fake engine sound through the sound system. Really not looking for sympathy, just addressing what I thought was Car and Driver motor head stuff. I agree with you on the engine performance of the glc but not on the ride, the Audi is fabulous, more like what Mercedes used to strive for. The Mercedes is great on good roads but most definitely transmits rough surfaces to the cabin in a big way, certainly might have bothered me less 20-30 years ago. Like I said, a world of trade-offs. I own both brands and enjoy jousting on both forums and riling up the calm. I’m sure there might be days when I wish I had the straight line performance and rail handling of the glc and other days that I marvel at the total package that is the sq5, like I said the segment offerings have gotten very compelling. But for me, I know the bone jarring suspension of the Mercedes would have weighed on me more over time so I’m sure I’ll be happy with the Audi. Enjoy. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:20 PM

Ned,
It sounds a bit like trolling to mej when you want to "joust" with people on forums....if you like your Audi, great! Check out the Audi forums and you can relish in your decision among other Audiphiles. This is an AMG forum that focuses on a sports car and performance car focused on owners of the GLC43. You don't own one it appears. If you wanted performance, you would have to endure a rougher ride....that is basic physics. I personally love the ride and just drove 1300 miles in 2 days in my GLC43. I enjoyed every mile of my trip ripping through the spine of California on all secondary roads. I also plan on taking the car on the track and fully expect it do hang very well based on my first drive of the car. Of course this car is not as comfortable as the Audi...duh....the Audi is not a sport focused SUV like this car. I would say your "bone jarring" comments are not accurate since I drove that car for 12 hours in one day and it was perfectly comfortable. I also have the run flats and it was not a problem. You most likely don't drive cars in a sporty fashion or go to the track....so enjoy your comfy Audi and the Audi forums!
Old 10-15-2017, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by birdmanf16
Ned,
It sounds a bit like trolling to mej when you want to "joust" with people on forums....if you like your Audi, great! Check out the Audi forums and you can relish in your decision among other Audiphiles. This is an AMG forum that focuses on a sports car and performance car focused on owners of the GLC43. You don't own one it appears. If you wanted performance, you would have to endure a rougher ride....that is basic physics. I personally love the ride and just drove 1300 miles in 2 days in my GLC43. I enjoyed every mile of my trip ripping through the spine of California on all secondary roads. I also plan on taking the car on the track and fully expect it do hang very well based on my first drive of the car. Of course this car is not as comfortable as the Audi...duh....the Audi is not a sport focused SUV like this car. I would say your "bone jarring" comments are not accurate since I drove that car for 12 hours in one day and it was perfectly comfortable. I also have the run flats and it was not a problem. You most likely don't drive cars in a sporty fashion or go to the track....so enjoy your comfy Audi and the Audi forums!
. If I wasn’t here trolling, this forum would be a whole lot more boring, with nothing but glc43 owners in group think patting themselves on the back and hugging one and other. I wouldn’t say that the Audi isn’t sports focused, just a bit less so than the glc, one doesn’t require a stiff jarring suspension to be sports oriented, the sq has a better adjustable air suspension and more versatile and no run flats, and 0-60 in 5 seconds is plenty quick, handles well enough to be fun, has gorgeous 21 inch rims. Like I said, both cars are great, it depends which set of attributes are important to you. Most glc43 and sq5 buyers are looking for a step up in performance over the 4 cylinder turbos but still want all the latest in tech, a nice interior, and a quiet cabin, not a car to run at the track or to tear around mountain roads. You’re the exception. I’m here to be attacked so bring it on! I’m a uniting force for you guys. Regards. Ned
Old 10-15-2017, 10:53 PM

Well, a troll indeed! I suppose you are just doing a service for this forum.....good for you Ned. You are really helping us out, God bless you and enjoy stirring the pot
Old 10-15-2017, 11:04 PM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
. If I wasn’t here trolling, this forum would be a whole lot more boring, with nothing but glc43 owners in group think patting themselves on the back and hugging one and other. I wouldn’t say that the Audi isn’t sports focused, just a bit less so than the glc, one doesn’t require a stiff jarring suspension to be sports oriented, the sq has a better adjustable air suspension and more versatile and no run flats, and 0-60 in 5 seconds is plenty quick, handles well enough to be fun, has gorgeous 21 inch rims. Like I said, both cars are great, it depends which set of attributes are important to you. Most glc43 and sq5 buyers are looking for a step up in performance over the 4 cylinder turbos but still want all the latest in tech, a nice interior, and a quiet cabin, not a car to run at the track or to tear around mountain roads. You’re the exception. I’m here to be attacked so bring it on! I’m a uniting force for you guys. Regards. Ned
Don't be mad at us because you bought a "tarted up" Volkswagen Tiguan with fake exhausts and a 0-60 that my grandmother could almost match in her Camry XSE V6. It has a great ride and is hi-tech also, but only uses go flat tires. It sounds like you might have been better suited for a RAV-4. How's that for trolling...haha, j/k. I do like the fact you are kicking it up a notch in the forum. As I said, enjoy your SQ5, I may have gone with one if it had a little more sporting attitude, a la the 43, and a better exterior design (personal preference, I realize), but I do love Audi interiors. I'm also betting I would have gotten nowhere near the deal on the SQ5 that I did on the GLC43...just icing on the cake. Now the RS3...but alas, too cheap to pay the mark-ups. All the best!

Last edited by Chrisk03; 10-15-2017 at 11:18 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car & Driver review of the GLC 43 AMG