again, and this time with feeling...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
2018 GLC63
Stealth Hitch

If anyone is thinking about putting a hitch on their GLC, I thought I would post some pictures of the Stealth hitch that I just put on my GLC63 (and also mention a few things to be aware of).

I got the combo tow and rack package, it comes with either the 2" or 1-1/4" square rack receiver and either the 2", 1-7/8", or 2-5/16" ball and ball mount. (Mine is the 2" rack and 2" ball).

The kit came with directions for the GLC, but unfortunately they ended up being for the 300, and there were only subtle differences that tipped you off to the mistake.

Here are the differences that I found in the shipped instructions versus my GLC63 (the first three steps were the same):

4. This step I didn't do, the picture didn't represent what I was seeing.
5. This step didn't work as written, there are only 3 screws (10 mm) per side (and the image was odd, why is there one screw circled but the screw above it was not circled?).
6. This step is where everything went south, the lower trim panel (which the instructions refer to as fascia) is connected by rivets to the rear bumper cover (the upper portion). I couldn't see any possible way to disconnect the bottom cover from the upper portion, which really left me scratching my head about the instructions.

So if you find yourself removing the lower trim on your GLC63, stop and get the correct instructions (note: both documents have the exact same title):

...at this point they sent me different instructions, and I still have know idea why these instructions weren't included with my shipment. Here is what the fascia removal step should look like:

Here are some additional pictures that might be helpful:

This next image is actually incorrect (it is missing the "chain hooks"), don't make this same mistake... the "chain hooks" show up in the parts list but they are never referenced in the guide. I didn't realize this until I had already assembled the latching mechanism:

...also, I had to replace all of the plastic connectors that connect the cargo area "threshold", I think I paid $9 on Amazon for the same kind of connectors (Mercedes Benz Door Trim Panel Clips 007-988-99-78):

Here are the three views after the install:

The following 2 users liked this post by Vipershade:
jeffzou (11-14-2019), Wassaby (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 04:48 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2020 GLC63
Looks great! And thank you for all the detailed instructions. Question, how far from the ground is the top of the hitch bar. Not the ball, the black metal the ball goes through. Curious. I didnt get the factory tow hitch because I didnt like how it cut up the rear diffuser and was going to get the stealth hitch instead.
The following users liked this post:
Vipershade (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
Thanks man

It looks like it's a little over 12" to the top of the hitch bar... which seems short. Their website says 18" to the top of the ball, but it looks more like 15":

I'm going to have to look into that, it seems too short.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:27 AM

Received 298 Likes on 214 Posts
AMG GLC 63s Coupe
That's almost exactly how I installed my Stealth Hitch besides instead of starting with the stated step 1, I changed it to this sequence:

1. Dropped car off at Custom Hitch store
2. Grabbed an Uber
3. Went to a restaurant
4. Ordered a beer
5. Ordered a steak
6. Ordered a beer
7. Called Uber
8. Picked up my car

Attachment 439556
The following users liked this post:
Wassaby (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
That's almost exactly how I installed my Stealth Hitch besides instead of starting with the stated step 1, I changed it to this sequence:

1. Dropped car off at Custom Hitch store
2. Grabbed an Uber
3. Went to a restaurant
4. Ordered a beer
5. Ordered a steak
6. Ordered a beer
7. Called Uber
8. Picked up my car
Son-of-a..., I knew they sent me the wrong instructions!

...looks good brother!
Old 11-14-2019, 09:37 AM

AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by Vipershade
Son-of-a..., I knew they sent me the wrong instructions!

...looks good brother!
You can tell if it's the wrong instructions if it mention a tool anywhere,.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
You can tell if it's the wrong instructions if it mention a tool anywhere,.
...indeed
Old 11-14-2019, 09:48 AM

AMG GLC 63s Coupe
...indeed
It is definitely the coolest hitch out there. Absolutely no sign of it being installed, when the receiver is removed and only take 10 seconds to install or remove. I can't quite reach under there and lock or unlock it without laying down when my car is on it's lowest setting but it gets pretty low.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:56 AM

2020 GLC63
Thanks man

It looks like it's a little over 12" to the top of the hitch bar... which seems short. Their website says 18" to the top of the ball, but it looks more like 15":

I'm going to have to look into that, it seems too short.
Thanks for the picture. yeah it looked a little low from the perspective I was seeing. But that's higher than I thought. Curious as to what they say if you contact them about it. I'll throw my 4" drop on the truck (what I normally tow my skiis with) and see what that measurement is later this evening for reference.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:53 AM

AMG GLC 63s Coupe
...indeed
I am curious how long it took you. I was quoted 4 hours at $150/HR based on one they did on the same car 2 weeks before. When I picked it up it was just $400 and he said they learned a lot after the first one so it was much quicker.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:42 PM

2020 GLC63
I measured my hitch that I normally trailer my skii's with on the truck and measuring the same as above is 16.5". I normally have several things in the bed weighing it all down (ie golf cart), so assume another 1-1.5" lower. So it's not THAT far off but would be cool if it was a bit higher I guess.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
I am curious how long it took you. I was quoted 4 hours at $150/HR based on one they did on the same car 2 weeks before. When I picked it up it was just $400 and he said they learned a lot after the first one so it was much quicker.
Starting with the wrong instructions really torqued me... I think I probably wasted 3 hours that first day. But, I would agree that it definitely got easier the second time. When I finally got the right instructions, it took about 4 hours (maybe 5... I was taking my time, and I didn't want to break off any of the connectors from the trim panels). I ended up doing a couple hours before work and leaving it sit in the garage, and then finishing it up after work.

If you just do the square rack receiver, without the ball mount and everything that goes with connecting the wiring harness, I could see that being only 2 (or 2 1/2) hours... the wiring was kind of a pain. After finishing, I connected up a 7-way tester that I got from Amazon and tested out all of the connections. I'm pretty happy the way everything turned out.

On a side note, I wouldn't buy the same tester again. The one that I got ended up pointing towards the front of the SUV, so I had to use a little mirror to see the lights flashing. Here is what mine looks like with the notch on the wrong side:

If you can find one with the notch on the other side, then the lights would point toward the back of the SUV.