From E63 to GLC63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Stereolab42
So I finally got around to seeing what the car sounds like truly straight-piped. Since the Capristo mufflers is clamped only about a foot backward, it was easy to remove the whole thing and drive around. Volume gained another 30% or so and you can definitely FEEL the rumble a lot more, without undue drone. However you're not going to get Hellcat volume or even the volume I had with my (almost straight-piped) E63. I think it's a combination of the smaller displacement engine along with the turbos and cats. Nevertheless I dig the improvement so I'm going to have my exhaust guy make straight pipe sections that just clamp onto where Capristo muffler was.

If you like loud, I can wholeheartedly endorse saving thousands on the cost of a custom exhaust and just replacing the OEM muffler with straights. (Per above, there is no OEM crossover or resonator section at all before the muffler, so it will be completely straight back to the cats.)
Know a good shop that would hypothetically remove secondaries?
Old 01-14-2020, 10:26 AM

Received 298 Likes on 214 Posts
AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Yeah, the color is definitely something unique. I'd say it's 70% red and 30% burnt orange, and I love orange. One of the tragedies of the modern auto industry is the proliferation of boring colors -- do we really need 500 variations of grey? I was actually reasonably close to buying a Hellcat or Mustang simply because I could get a crazy color on it.... I wonder if Mercedes offers "individual" colors like BMW does. Might have to look into that in three years... would love a Plum Crazy AMG.
Like the color of mine??????????????

From E63 to GLC63-duwiuek.jpg

The following users liked this post:
Stereolab42 (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 10:28 AM

AMG GLC 63s Coupe
I saw that page but it explicitly states "NOT for AMG 43 models or models with a leather trim on the console." Have you tried this on a 63?
My 63s definitely has leather on the console. I just use a mount that plugs into the CD slot. Who has CDs anymore?????????????
Old 01-14-2020, 10:35 AM

AMG GLC 63s Coupe
So I finally got around to seeing what the car sounds like truly straight-piped. Since the Capristo mufflers is clamped only about a foot backward, it was easy to remove the whole thing and drive around. Volume gained another 30% or so and you can definitely FEEL the rumble a lot more, without undue drone. However you're not going to get Hellcat volume or even the volume I had with my (almost straight-piped) E63. I think it's a combination of the smaller displacement engine along with the turbos and cats. Nevertheless I dig the improvement so I'm going to have my exhaust guy make straight pipe sections that just clamp onto where Capristo muffler was.

If you like loud, I can wholeheartedly endorse saving thousands on the cost of a custom exhaust and just replacing the OEM muffler with straights. (Per above, there is no OEM crossover or resonator section at all before the muffler, so it will be completely straight back to the cats.)
This is likely a stupid question and frankly, I have never kept a car past the 1 and 1/2 year mark so I know nothing about inspections.....but...can you remove the OEM muffler and replace with straights and still pass inspection? Probably varies by State but if it helps, I am in TX.

I plan on keeping this car!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2020, 03:42 PM

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
2019 GLC 63 SUV, 2013 SLK55
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
This is likely a stupid question and frankly, I have never kept a car past the 1 and 1/2 year mark so I know nothing about inspections.....but...can you remove the OEM muffler and replace with straights and still pass inspection? Probably varies by State but if it helps, I am in TX.

I plan on keeping this car!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Removing anything after the CATs should be OK anywhere since it doesn't affect emissions.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by CPD SLK
Know a good shop that would hypothetically remove secondaries?
CATs? Not myself since I'd never do that but I've heard such shops exist and will do the work with a personal introduction. I'd suggest showing up to car meets and asking around. (I don't know if you're on the AMG NorCal Lounge Facebook but there is a big meet happening on Feb 8th in SLO.)
Old 05-04-2021, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 63
Check Engine Lights?

Originally Posted by KingMonkeyJr
If you guys want the the most sound and performance I would go the route I took.

1. Buy SSR Downpipes.
2. Custom fabricate Vibrant 7830 High Flow Cats onto downpipes.
3. Install.

Out the door with install it is $2500. Paired with the performance exhaust is great. Sounds decent with the valves closed for around town but when you open it up it sounds like a sceaming banshee.

Also the cats added in really make the sound of the car more refined. Takes away that raspy with the decatted downpipes you hear online in videos. Most importantly the gasoline fumes smell is tamed.

Ill try and get some videos for you guys.

Cheers.
If I just swap out with SSR downpipes and no other tune.
1. Won't it cause check engine lights and all other sorts of problems?
2. Will it actually pass inspection? I'm in New York.

I'm waiting on receiving my 2021 GLC63 and after breaking it in properly, I'm going to want to enhance the volume of the sound. ​I just want it to rumble without having to drive like a lunatic.

I guess what's the least disruptive way to achieve that?

Last edited by Style Wiz; 05-04-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 63
Check Engine Lights?

Have you gotten check engine lights since the muffler delete?
After googling, I'm seeing that a muffler delete can result in the car not running properly due to the fuel injectors and speed of air flow causing all sorts of software issues.

I'm waiting on my brand new GLC63 and was looking at deleting the muffler to here the rumble. I don't care so much about pops and bangs, I just want too hear a loud rumble.

​​​​​​
Old 05-15-2021, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Style Wiz
Have you gotten check engine lights since the muffler delete?
After googling, I'm seeing that a muffler delete can result in the car not running properly due to the fuel injectors and speed of air flow causing all sorts of software issues.

I'm waiting on my brand new GLC63 and was looking at deleting the muffler to here the rumble. I don't care so much about pops and bangs, I just want too hear a loud rumble.

​​​​​​
No issues at all with it straight-piped (cats and downpipes left in place). It's a lot louder from behind the car than you think because the inside is so well-insulated. If you always wake up at 5 AM to drive to work might want to think twice.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:53 PM

Last edited by Stereolab42; 05-16-2021 at 07:12 PM.