GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Apple Play on 2020 GLC 43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2020 | 09:27 AM

GLC 43 Coupe
Apple Play on 2020 GLC 43

After a long wait for my GLC 43 Coupe, it finally arrived this past Saturday. I’m in Toronto. The car arrived in Halifax several weeks ago but was delayed due to protests on rail lines. No complaints so far (it’s a beautiful car), except for the thoughtlessness of MB not providing a USB-C to Lightning adapter for Apple Play. I would have forgone the “gifts” (wine bottle stopper, baseball cap etc) for an adapter. Apologies if I’m sounding petty given what’s going on in the world but...for 90K, they should provide a short $10 cable to make the customer experience more seamless.
Old 03-24-2020 | 01:51 PM

GLC 43AMG
I am in New York awaiting my GLC 43 AMG Coupe, told by the dealer my vehicle has been built / assigned a ship and awaiting transport to VPC in Baltimore.
I had to purchase the USB-C cable as an option for 25 U.S. dollars, remember the old adage "nothing is free in our world"
Old 03-24-2020 | 02:00 PM

GLC 43 Coupe
Originally Posted by negril1167
I am in New York awaiting my GLC 43 AMG Coupe, told by the dealer my vehicle has been built / assigned a ship and awaiting transport to VPC in Baltimore.
I had to purchase the USB-C cable as an option for 25 U.S. dollars, remember the old adage "nothing is free in our world"
Very true. Just wish they would would provide the cable and hide the cost elsewhere. Enjoy your car. Heard, I think, that production has been suspended at one or more of their assembly plants in Germany. The MB dealership from which I made the purchase is closing today, as are all non-essential services in Ontario. So people who have vehicles in the pipeline may be out of luck until they reopen—whenever that happens. Stay safe.

Last edited by Neil Shields; 03-24-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-24-2020 | 02:05 PM

GLC 43AMG
Yea, my dealer was working from home, the dealership is closed and I was told there might be some delay in getting the vehicle because of the pandemic.
Old 03-24-2020 | 03:33 PM

2020 AMG GLC 43
Same thing here. My car arrived at the dealership yesterday -- about 2 hours before our State governor announced a lockdown, meaning I won't be able to go get it for at least a couple weeks. I've already waited 3.5 months, what's another couple weeks, right?
Old 03-25-2020 | 03:14 PM

2020 GLC43
Originally Posted by Neil Shields
After a long wait for my GLC 43 Coupe, it finally arrived this past Saturday. I’m in Toronto. The car arrived in Halifax several weeks ago but was delayed due to protests on rail lines. No complaints so far (it’s a beautiful car), except for the thoughtlessness of MB not providing a USB-C to Lightning adapter for Apple Play. I would have forgone the “gifts” (wine bottle stopper, baseball cap etc) for an adapter. Apologies if I’m sounding petty given what’s going on in the world but...for 90K, they should provide a short $10 cable to make the customer experience more seamless.
You can't please everyone. They have to warranty anything that comes with the car. And I really doubt they want to warranty a cable. They pay Apple enough just to offer Carplay.

As the port, while I'm not 100% sure it follows USB PD standards, USB-C plug is the future. For any cars that still offer USB A plugs, if will be VERY outdated in about 2 years.

Mine (SUV) also got blocked by rail traffic and just got here last week. Delivery is next Tuesday. It's much easier with Samsung Android world, already bought tons of USBC to USBC cables.

Protip: A lot of cables and adapters are on non-essential back order right now on Amazon. You make have to buy official cable from Apple store if you can find one that's open.
Old 03-25-2020 | 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Xtrema
As the port, while I'm not 100% sure it follows USB PD standards, USB-C plug is the future. For any cars that still offer USB A plugs, if will be VERY outdated in about 2 years.
Well, USB-C will be the future until somebody else comes out with yet another connector, but really, the future is wireless data and power. The main reason USB-C came about is to accommodate the quest for ever thinner and smaller devices that simply don't have the room for large ports and to reduce the number of ports needed to connect the devices to the outside world again to save space. But, a lot is going wireless in that regard, too. Bluetooth probably has more of a future than USB. USB-C doesn't really have much of an advantage in a car other than standardizing on the kinds of cables you need to have around, but I bought the shortest USB-A to Lighting cable I could find and it stays plugged in in the car. The fact that it's still a USB-A doesn't matter at all.
Old 03-25-2020 | 07:11 PM

2020 GLC AMG 43
Originally Posted by Neil Shields
I would have forgone the “gifts” (wine bottle stopper, baseball cap etc) for an adapter. Apologies if I’m sounding petty given what’s going on in the world but...for 90K, they should provide a short $10 cable to make the customer experience more seamless.
I would argue that if you are willing to pay $90k for a vehicle, then spending an additional $20 on a USB-C cable is mere pocket lint.
Old 03-25-2020 | 07:16 PM
Loc

2013 GLK350, 2013 E350
Originally Posted by dudeintokyo
I would argue that if you are willing to pay $90k for a vehicle, then spending an additional $20 on a USB-C cable is mere pocket lint.
very TRUE.

in my case - i usually ask the rep that I dealt with for little accessories. Prob will ask for this when I get my car.
Old 03-25-2020 | 09:34 PM

2020 GLC AMG 43
Originally Posted by Loc
in my case - i usually ask the rep that I dealt with for little accessories. Prob will ask for this when I get my car.
exactly!

another point i would argue, is that we all knew what port types the car comes equipped with prior to pulling the trigger and "clicking" buy. OP should have either asked the rep for the necessary cable or adapter, or purchased one off Amazon prior to driving off the lot.
Old 03-25-2020 | 10:13 PM

2020 GLC AMG 43
Cable connectivity

Does anyone else have an issue with CarPlay disconnecting with only modest movement of the USB-C to lightning cable within the plug? I purchased a very short cable so as to not have a wire draped all over the front console, and I find that every time I move the phone a little it seems to lose the connection and then tries to reestablish. Just trying to figure out if it’s the cable or the plug or a common issue. I might also try a right angle plug to see if that’s any better.
Old 03-25-2020 | 10:43 PM

GLC 43 Coupe
Originally Posted by dudeintokyo
It’s not the money, just the inconvenience. I ended up buying an adapter from the only Mercedes dealership that stocked in the region. First world problem.
Old 09-03-2020 | 12:03 PM
Loc

2013 GLK350, 2013 E350
Just an update to this - i finally picked up my car and I asked for the USB-C adaptor and the rep just gave it to me. On top of that, she bribed me the All Weather Floor mat plus Cargo matt AND I also took 3 key chains with diff colors as well. All this when I give her 10 stars review when MB send it in a week or two. hahahaha.. easy enough to save $$$