Accident occurred due to break suddenly stopped working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 01:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
GLC63s
Accident occurred due to break suddenly stopped working

Hi fellows,

I just had my first major accident today.

Here's a little bit of context:
  1. Weather was just beginning to snow
  2. I was running on summer tyres.
  3. I pumped air the night before.

It happens in the afternoon when I was approaching a roundabout with a very slow speed (30-40 km/h) and was turning right, I hit the break to slow further down, but the break pad suddenly became hard and impossible to push down, at the same time the small screen on the dashboard shows suspension malfunction sign. The only thing I could do is to turn the steering right, but it was too late. I ran into the curb and the front left rim was wrecked.

so a few questions before I go to the dealership tomorrow:
  1. Who's to blame that this accident happened?(true I was running on summer tyre but the break should not fail when it is needed)
  2. How big of a problem am I facing if the anything is wrong going on with the car? (I'm a bit concerned driving it now that the break fails. It makes me feel luck that I'm not going 100km/h+ when it failed. I couldn't image what could've happened.
Appreciated your input.

Old 01-26-2021, 02:57 AM

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts
12 C200, 12 C180, 10 Fuso Warrior crew cab, 08 RTV ute, 05 Smart Fortwo cabrio, 09 Smart Fortwo
The pedal going hard would be your abs taking over the brakes would have been trying to stop you but you had already lost grip after the tyre started to slip due to it being a summer tyre on snow / ice, this would have caused the tyres to be braked at different levels on all 4 corners not real good when you are on snow and ice with tyres that are meant for mostly dry weather, then because it could not regain control of all your slipping tyres you would have received the warning that something was wrong, at this stage it would have been too late and you were just along for the ride.

As for who to blame, well this will be a good one as people dont like it when you tell them its their fault, but just cough up for the repair and use winter tyres next time, these cars do a lot for you but everything has to be right, you have 1 thing thats not right and you bend a rim .
There will be more than just the rim, but hard to tell from just a picture.

The beauty of these cars is that the dealer can plug in and read exactly what happened as it would more than likely have logged in the computer.

good luck
The following 4 users liked this post by prktkljokr:
BlkSVT (01-27-2021), CarboyS (01-28-2021), ParadigmDawg (01-27-2021), tedboss1 (01-26-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 02:42 PM

Received 298 Likes on 214 Posts
AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by prktkljokr
The pedal going hard would be your abs taking over the brakes would have been trying to stop you but you had already lost grip after the tyre started to slip due to it being a summer tyre on snow / ice, this would have caused the tyres to be braked at different levels on all 4 corners not real good when you are on snow and ice with tyres that are meant for mostly dry weather, then because it could not regain control of all your slipping tyres you would have received the warning that something was wrong, at this stage it would have been too late and you were just along for the ride.

As for who to blame, well this will be a good one as people dont like it when you tell them its their fault, but just cough up for the repair and use winter tyres next time, these cars do a lot for you but everything has to be right, you have 1 thing thats not right and you bend a rim .
There will be more than just the rim, but hard to tell from just a picture.

The beauty of these cars is that the dealer can plug in and read exactly what happened as it would more than likely have logged in the computer.

good luck
Completely agree.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 994 Likes on 766 Posts
2003 CL 600
Summer tires don't work in snow, and aren't supposed to. This is 100% your fault. All the safety systems in the car can do is try, but if the tire has lost all friction with the road surface, no matter what the car does it can't stop you.