Ride comfort with baby vs CLA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLA45S Shooting Brake
Ride comfort with baby vs CLA

Hello all! First post here..

I am the very happy owner of a CLA45S Shooting Brake that is the perfect small family hauler for my needs but the ride comfort just kills the pleasure, especially since we’ve had a baby 2 months back and it’s just not comfortable enough for him to sleep in the back.

So we are looking at a GLC63S as it seems to be nice, powerful and fun to drive (for an SUV) but I’ve read various reviews saying the ride comfort just isn’t where it should be. Has anyone had experience with small children in the 63 or potentially the 43? Is the ride smooth enough in comfort mode?

We’ve had a Macan before and I’d say that was plenty comfortable..

Thanks 😊
Old 02-16-2024, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,686 Likes on 2,461 Posts
2019 C63CS
So, no direct experience with a baby, nor direct comparison between the cars, but I'm gonna say look elsewhere. I have a 2019 C63S Coupe and from all I've gathered so far the GLC rides rougher, because of all that top heavy extra weight. With an SUV and w/o active roll stabilization you have essentially two choices. Make the suspension softer for comfort, but then you have lots of body roll and you feel like a bobble head in the car, or make the suspension stiffer to control the body roll, but then you have a harsh ride.

FWIW, my C63 is fine most of the time. Roads around here are fairly good, but when the roads get bumpy I'm being thrown around in my seat. Can't imagine a baby would like this very much. On the highway in Comfort mode it's very smooth and there's even a level of Mercedes typical wafting. But around town on roads that have seen better days it's a different story. I don't mind it. I like a firm and sporty suspension and I don't drive on really bad roads very often, but if I do I have to slow way down. Don't wanna hit a pothole either with the low profile tires and lightweight AMG wheels.
Old 02-22-2024, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
'17 GTR, '17 GLC43, '14 Panigale 899, '20 V4
Originally Posted by superswiss
So, no direct experience with a baby, nor direct comparison between the cars, but I'm gonna say look elsewhere. I have a 2019 C63S Coupe and from all I've gathered so far the GLC rides rougher, because of all that top heavy extra weight. With an SUV and w/o active roll stabilization you have essentially two choices. Make the suspension softer for comfort, but then you have lots of body roll and you feel like a bobble head in the car, or make the suspension stiffer to control the body roll, but then you have a harsh ride.

FWIW, my C63 is fine most of the time. Roads around here are fairly good, but when the roads get bumpy I'm being thrown around in my seat. Can't imagine a baby would like this very much. On the highway in Comfort mode it's very smooth and there's even a level of Mercedes typical wafting. But around town on roads that have seen better days it's a different story. I don't mind it. I like a firm and sporty suspension and I don't drive on really bad roads very often, but if I do I have to slow way down. Don't wanna hit a pothole either with the low profile tires and lightweight AMG wheels.
I went from a CLA45 to a GLC43 with my first son. Got rid of the CLA45 before he was born because it was so stiff it gave me headaches. The shooting brake should be heavier and less stiff than the CLA coupe so not sure how big a difference the GLC will be. BUT the GLC in comfort mode was good enough for the baby. I eventually sold that for a GLE53 when we had the second and wouldn't go back. The comfort is AMAZING and it's more fun to drive (all things considered) than my GLC43.
The following users liked this post:
cosmico (02-25-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 07:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2023 GLE 450 & 2020 GLC 63S
Wife drives a GLE 450 and I drive the GLC 63S. Oh yes, there’s a difference in rides for sure (even in Comfort mode). Like superswiss I prefer a stiffer/sportier ride and suspension so it suits me fine. If you’re seeking a smooth ride you may look elsewhere. But, being the father of two grown adults the kids seem to do better in a ‘bumpy’ ride anyway!
The following users liked this post:
cosmico (02-25-2024)