Notices

2020 V167 GLE

 
Old 12-21-2018, 11:44 AM
  #1676  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Boise & St George
Posts: 479
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
2018 SQ5 & 2020 GLE 450-in transit
Originally Posted by detailz0 View Post
Greg, I just configured my build with the dealer and the Trailer package required another trailer pre-requisite of increased towing capacity. Ever hear of that? Also they couldn't add Magic Vision right now?

Code Description Price MODEL: 2020 GLE450W4 $0 149 Polar White 115 Macchiato/Magma Grey MB-Tex Options H18 Dark Grey Linden Wood Trim R26 19" Wheels 443 Heated Steering Wheel 55U Macchiato Beige Headliner 550 Trailer Hitch 557 Increased Towing Capacity with Trailer Hitch
My build didn't require it but it's a preliminary DOG and there are errors in the system. I had to order 902 Variable heated seats for my build and it's not listed anywhere as a requirement. Couldn't order Brown Walnut trim but dealer finally got it added by calling the factory. Maybe in Jan the new DOG will solve some of these issues.
Ron.s is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron.s For This Useful Post:
detailz0 (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 12:29 PM
  #1677  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,301
Thanked 100 Times in 80 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
Options

Originally Posted by detailz0 View Post
Greg, I just configured my build with the dealer and the Trailer package required another trailer pre-requisite of increased towing capacity. Ever hear of that?
The tow rating increase is noted as a separate option on the Belgian configurator. It must be bundled with the 550 Trailer Hitch in the US. The press release lists towing capacity as "up to 3500 kg' (~7,700 lb) and tongue weight of 140 kg (~300 lb).



Also they couldn't add Magic Vision right now?
No, that hasn't ever been confirmed for the US, though it is offered on the current US W166 and on the new GLE in Europe. I would bet it becomes available in the future.
GregW / Oregon is online now  
Old 12-21-2018, 12:39 PM
  #1678  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,301
Thanked 100 Times in 80 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
IIHS top safety pick

The current 2019 GLE made the IIHS top safety pick list: https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve...-door-suv/2019. I'm sure the new one will be as good or better.
GregW / Oregon is online now  
Old 12-21-2018, 01:16 PM
  #1679  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central PA
Posts: 1,573
Thanked 92 Times in 72 Posts
17 GLS 550
Originally Posted by Ron.s View Post
No we will be keeping the SQ5. I love driving it even though itís my wifeís car I sneak it once in awhile and usually drive when we are out together.
I will probably get rid of my Denali truck. Iím sure I will regret not having it on occasion but after almost 50 years trucking Iím ready for a change. Our big toys are all gone so we really donít need a truck. A more sensible approach would have been to sell the Audi but my wife doesnít care for the Mercedes and she loves the Audi. She will probably soften on the GLE after we get it but you married guys may understand my situation😱
One of my neighbors owns a black SQ5 and I always thought it was such a nice looking SUV. I've sit in the SQ7 several times but never test drove one. There's something about the interior design language that doesn't sit right with me. But the exteriors are attractive.
JoeMa is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 03:02 PM
  #1680  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Boise & St George
Posts: 479
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
2018 SQ5 & 2020 GLE 450-in transit
Originally Posted by JoeMa View Post
One of my neighbors owns a black SQ5 and I always thought it was such a nice looking SUV. I've sit in the SQ7 several times but never test drove one. There's something about the interior design language that doesn't sit right with me. But the exteriors are attractive.
The interior is very comfortable but not plush. I donít care for the tack on tablet look that all the German SUVís in that class have. Cup holders too small and the Lane Keep gets confused by some traffic signs and lane markings. The DiC & Nav are top notch using Nvidia graphics chips-Google Satelite maps, etc.
Fuel economy blows me away for a 354 HP vehicle about 4400 lbs. The Chip Tune took it to about 435. Very little Turbo lag but it could benefit from the Bosch electric supercharger that Audi & MB have in the works.
We drove a lot of SUVís, many 2 or 3 times before deciding. Itís not for everyone and a tad smaller than I would prefer. If you like to drive a sports car this would be a natural progression to an SUV. It shares a lot of DNA with the Porsche Macon but is more comfortable to drive and has a more practical Interior. All wheel steer, torque vectoring flat corners and performance are all there. Itís not had one issue and we are right at 20M miles. It will be hard to part with this one even if my wife didnít love it.
Ron.s is online now  
Old 12-21-2018, 07:41 PM
  #1681  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central PA
Posts: 1,573
Thanked 92 Times in 72 Posts
17 GLS 550
Originally Posted by Ron.s View Post
If you like to drive a sports car this would be a natural progression to an SUV.

This is one area where I differ from many buyers of SUV's. I my view, SUV's should not drive or feel like a sports car. It's why I never bought a X5, to firm for our liking. I think the X5 is a great looking SUV but it falls short inside where we spend our time. This is where MB really shines, great looking interiors and the new GLE will offer up arguably the best tech in the segment. Leading-edge tech with MB finishes, a perfect combo for us and many other buyers. I'm not looking to insult anyone who prefers a sporty drive in a SUV, it's just my view of what a SUV should deliver.

JoeMa is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 07:43 PM
  #1682  
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
RJC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: 2000 ft over the Fl coast in a B-17
Posts: 5,238
Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
My wife drives a 2017 Q7 now, it will be traded for a 2020 GLE 53, the Q7 is a nice vehicle built on an exceptional platform, but since DieselGate Audi is counting every cent and does not support it's owners/service items like they used to...sad but true. Buyer beware!
RJC is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 07:58 PM
  #1683  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,301
Thanked 100 Times in 80 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
Popular Mechanics article 12/21/18

Why the New Mercedes-Benz GLE 450 is the Most Futuristic (Gas-Powered) Car on the Road

"...
under the skin, this is the craziest, most tech-forward internal-combustion car I’ve driven in a long time."
"The ride is preternaturally smooth; I think we can say right now this is the smoothest-riding car you can buy. But it also handles great, because an active system doesn’t have the usual ride-handling compromises (stiff antiroll bars aren’t a problem, because there are no antiroll bars)." (E-ABC)
The article makes no effort to tell you that most the features mentioned are options.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/a25643246/mercedes-benz-gle-450-2020/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_pop&utm_medium=email&date =122118&src=nl&utm_campaign=15487243

GregW / Oregon is online now  
Old 12-21-2018, 08:04 PM
  #1684  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central PA
Posts: 1,573
Thanked 92 Times in 72 Posts
17 GLS 550
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Why the New Mercedes-Benz GLE 450 is the Most Futuristic (Gas-Powered) Car on the Road
I think Greg may be driving their new GLE more than his wife.
JoeMa is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 08:29 PM
  #1685  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,301
Thanked 100 Times in 80 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
Originally Posted by JoeMa View Post
I think Greg may be driving their new GLE more than his wife.
No, E-ABC is ALL for HER comfort!
GregW / Oregon is online now  
Old 12-21-2018, 08:33 PM
  #1686  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Boise & St George
Posts: 479
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
2018 SQ5 & 2020 GLE 450-in transit
Originally Posted by JoeMa View Post
This is one area where I differ from many buyers of SUV's. I my view, SUV's should not drive or feel like a sports car. It's why I never bought a X5, to firm for our liking. I think the X5 is a great looking SUV but it falls short inside where we spend our time. This is where MB really shines, great looking interiors and the new GLE will offer up arguably the best tech in the segment. Leading-edge tech with MB finishes, a perfect combo for us and many other buyers. I'm not looking to insult anyone who prefers a sporty drive in a SUV, it's just my view of what a SUV should deliver.
This from a guy that wanted a GLE 53😀 Lots of people want performance from an SUV and that doesnít necessarily mean less comfort. There is a big difference between the entry level GLE350 and the AMG versions. Even E-ABC starts to deliver the sporty features of a sports vehicle or the comfort of a luxury SUV. Like MB, the SQ5 has air suspension and driving modes from Comfort to Dynamic. An SUV will never be a sports car-too heavy and a high center of gravity. In 2018 the SQ5 had the most advanced tech of any vehicle except for Tesla, IMO. Donít knock it if you havenít tried it!
Ron.s is online now  
Old 12-21-2018, 09:01 PM
  #1687  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Boise & St George
Posts: 479
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
2018 SQ5 & 2020 GLE 450-in transit
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
My wife drives a 2017 Q7 now, it will be traded for a 2020 GLE 53, the Q7 is a nice vehicle built on an exceptional platform, but since DieselGate Audi is counting every cent and does not support it's owners/service items like they used to...sad but true. Buyer beware!
Sorry to hear! What kind of issues?
I hope this isnít the start of a trend but Iíve had more warranty claim issues in the past few ears than dozens before and vehicle quality has improved. Lexus refused to fix a defect that was put out in a Service Bulletin to be repaired under warranty. It wasnít a safety issue (power steering wheel motor slop & rattle) and had been reported previously but the dealer misdiagnosed it. I found the bulletin a few months after Warranty expired and requested repair. The Dealer declined so I contacted Corporate thinking they couldnít refuse...they did. Rather than hire an Attorney I traded the Vehicle. If it breaks itís
covered but lots of cosmetic or random issues get tougher to resolve. A group of my golf buddies and I decided to start video taping issues and that seems to help. Hoping Mercedes is better to work with.
Ron.s is online now  
Old 12-21-2018, 09:01 PM
  #1688  
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
RJC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: 2000 ft over the Fl coast in a B-17
Posts: 5,238
Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeMa View Post
I think Greg may be driving their new GLE more than his wife.
What wheels are these...I'm assuming 21's and are they available with AMG exterior pkg?
RJC is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 09:04 PM
  #1689  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,301
Thanked 100 Times in 80 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
SPORT Utility Vehicle

Originally Posted by Ron.s View Post

This from a guy that wanted a GLE 53😀 Lots of people want performance from an SUV and that doesnít necessarily mean less comfort. There is a big difference between the entry level GLE350 and the AMG versions. Even E-ABC starts to deliver the sporty features of a sports vehicle or the comfort of a luxury SUV. Like MB, the SQ5 has air suspension and driving modes from Comfort to Dynamic. An SUV will never be a sports car-too heavy and a high center of gravity. In 2018 the SQ5 had the most advanced tech of any vehicle except for Tesla, IMO. Donít knock it if you havenít tried it!
We all have different needs and wants. If an SUV was my daily driver I would have at least the GLE 53 (if not the BMW or Audi or Porsche options). However as this is my wifeís DD, itís about comfort and utility for her first. But we do use it for trips, going to Eastern Oregon every Labor Day weekend. Part of this 365-mile trip is some good canyon carving. The Active Curve in our ML makes this fun on Sport setting. Iím looking forward to the 2019 trip in the new car wit ABC.
GregW / Oregon is online now  
Old 12-21-2018, 09:14 PM
  #1690  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,301
Thanked 100 Times in 80 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
21" wheels

Originally Posted by RJC View Post
What wheels are these...I'm assuming 21's and are they available with AMG exterior pkg?
Those are the R77 non-AMG 21's. I actually like them better than the AMG option, but would not live without the AMG exterior styling. Specs are same as the AMG RWAs.


Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 12-21-2018 at 09:17 PM.
GregW / Oregon is online now  
Old 12-21-2018, 09:18 PM
  #1691  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Boise & St George
Posts: 479
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
2018 SQ5 & 2020 GLE 450-in transit
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post

We all have different needs and wants. If an SUV was my daily driver I would have at least the GLE 53 (if not the BMW or Audi or Porsche options). However as this is my wifeís DD, itís about comfort and utility for her first. But we do use it for trips, going to Eastern Oregon every Labor Day weekend. Part of this 365-mile trip is some good canyon carving. The Active Curve in our ML makes this fun on Sport setting. Iím looking forward to the 2019 trip in the new car wit ABC.
My feeling exactly. I just made that trip in our Audi last summer. Drove over through Burns and had a ball without unduly scaring my wife. Came back on the Freeway that has some fun corners through the Blues to Baker City. But Oregon has some tough speed limits and well policed. I travel to a vacation home and drive through Nevada quite a bit. There are remote areas with low traffic and no Police and I look forward to the mountains and lots of twisties. Not dangerous but a good handling vehicle makes it so effortless even at aggressive speeds.
Ron.s is online now  
Old 12-21-2018, 09:21 PM
  #1692  
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
RJC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: 2000 ft over the Fl coast in a B-17
Posts: 5,238
Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron.s View Post


Sorry to hear! What kind of issues?
I hope this isn’t the start of a trend but I’ve had more warranty claim issues in the past few ears than dozens before and vehicle quality has improved. Lexus refused to fix a defect that was put out in a Service Bulletin to be repaired under warranty. It wasn’t a safety issue (power steering wheel motor slop & rattle) and had been reported previously but the dealer misdiagnosed it. I found the bulletin a few months after Warranty expired and requested repair. The Dealer declined so I contacted Corporate thinking they couldn’t refuse...they did. Rather than hire an Attorney I traded the Vehicle. If it breaks it’s
covered but lots of cosmetic or random issues get tougher to resolve. A group of my golf buddies and I decided to start video taping issues and that seems to help. Hoping Mercedes is better to work with.
Lots of unresolved (even after two years+ of production) software issues that effect many systems. The MLBEVO platform isamazing and a pleasure to drive, but this is not the best time to buy an Audi or any VW vehicle...Deisel gate has cost them billions and they are taking it out on their customers and suppliers. BTW the cost cutting on the new Q8 is quite evident and all Audis are headed that way...sad they were once very special vehicles. We had issues with Lexus not fixing a terrible loud metallic knocking in her GS F Sport front suspension over cobble stone roads, they even flew in a team of engineers to investigate but then tried to say it wasn't a problem LOL, we challenged them in the AG's office and won a 5 person panel's unanimous decision. MB on the otherhand has always been very helpful when problems arose and we try to buy MB whenever possible.

Last edited by RJC; 12-21-2018 at 09:34 PM.
RJC is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 09:28 PM
  #1693  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,301
Thanked 100 Times in 80 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
Originally Posted by Ron.s View Post
My feeling exactly. I just made that trip in our Audi last summer. Drove over through Burns and had a ball without unduly scaring my wife. Came back on the Freeway that has some fun corners through the Blues to Baker City. But Oregon has some tough speed limits and well policed. I travel to a vacation home and drive through Nevada quite a bit. There are remote areas with low traffic and no Police and I look forward to the mountains and lots of twisties. Not dangerous but a good handling vehicle makes it so effortless even at aggressive speeds.
My favorite section is Baker City over to Halfway in the Pine Valley near the Snake River. This route is a part of the original Oregon Trail (there is an interpretive museum near the start). The Pine Valley, at the foot of the Wallowas is gorgeous!





Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 12-21-2018 at 09:47 PM.
GregW / Oregon is online now  
Old 12-21-2018, 09:36 PM
  #1694  
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
RJC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: 2000 ft over the Fl coast in a B-17
Posts: 5,238
Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Those are the R77 non-AMG 21's. I actually like them better than the AMG option, but would not live without the AMG exterior styling. Specs are same as the AMG RWAs.
Yes, me too but I gather they are not avaible with AMG ext...too bad. Something else I noticed, you cant get massaging seats with the AMG int? Is this correct?
RJC is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 09:49 PM
  #1695  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,301
Thanked 100 Times in 80 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
AMG interior

Originally Posted by RJC View Post
Yes, me too but I gather they are not available with AMG ext...too bad. Something else I noticed, you cant get massaging seats with the AMG int? Is this correct?
Correct, nor the heated steering wheel.
GregW / Oregon is online now  
Old 12-21-2018, 10:16 PM
  #1696  
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
RJC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: 2000 ft over the Fl coast in a B-17
Posts: 5,238
Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Correct, nor the heated steering wheel.
No matter how hard I try to get a 450 (wifey doesn't need any more power etc than the 450) I always seem to get pointed back to the 53, as it should have evertything we prefer.
RJC is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 10:20 PM
  #1697  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,301
Thanked 100 Times in 80 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
GLE 53

Originally Posted by RJC View Post
No matter how hard I try to get a 450 (wifey doesn't need any more power etc than the 450) I always seem to get pointed back to the 53, as it should have evertything we prefer.
Thatíll be a sweet one if you can wait. My ML is too long-in-tooth to wait any more.
GregW / Oregon is online now  
Old 12-21-2018, 10:32 PM
  #1698  
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
RJC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: 2000 ft over the Fl coast in a B-17
Posts: 5,238
Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
Has anyone thought about having the C pillars wrapped in glossy black to match the glass on non-black vehicles? I think that would look give this vehicle a much more fluid look.


RJC is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 10:35 PM
  #1699  
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
RJC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: 2000 ft over the Fl coast in a B-17
Posts: 5,238
Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post

Thatíll be a sweet one if you can wait. My ML is too long-in-tooth to wait any more.
We are prepared to wait 6mos if necessary...hope that is long enough
RJC is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 10:39 PM
  #1700  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,301
Thanked 100 Times in 80 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
C pillar wrap

Originally Posted by RJC View Post
Has anyone thought about having the C pillars wrapped in glossy black to match the glass on non-black vehicles? I think that would look give this vehicle a much more fluid look.
The top line coming off the 2nd row window trim might be a little weird.
GregW / Oregon is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2020 V167 GLE


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: