GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Anyone else notice that many active LED headlights are really inactive?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLE43 Coupe
Angry Anyone else notice that many active LED headlights are really inactive?

Do not move, no cornering lamps in spite of catalog, website and sticker saying "active headlights". Mercedes does not care. Amazing.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:26 PM
DMG

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2001 G500
I could be wrong but I think "active headlights" refers to the ability to not dazzle other vehicles by dimming certain LEDs in the headlights when using the highbeam, and, although that feature is not legal in the US yet, it likely will be in the future and that can be unlocked once it is. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but that is how I understood it.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:31 PM

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
The LED lights on my 2016 are active. I see the beams move upon startup, and I notice them shift while cornering at night. They are also adaptive when on high. Not blinding others reduces the number of cars blinding me back in retaliation because I forgot to turn down the high beams.

You can have fixed LEDs as standard, and still pay extra for the Active/Adaptive tech. Nothing wrong with that. Better than lame halogens.
The following users liked this post:
Sigp232 (01-10-2020)
Old 01-29-2019, 08:54 AM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
GLE 450 And some not MB cars
i guess its a US thing, so far do not allowed car headlamp making light tunnel thing. like a car approaching to you, the light split make a tunnel that not dazzle other car. I think in US so far only allowed high beam assist, which turn off high-beam when a car approaching to your car.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:32 PM

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 GLE 350 4Matic / Night Package / Premium Package / 21" Wheels
I just took delivery of my '20 GLE-350 yesterday, and it has the Active Multibeam system. My previous car was a '19 GLC-30 with their Active LED, and the two technologies are entirely different - I was equally confused at first.

The GLC active system uses motors to physically 'point' the LED headlight module around; my wife's '14 GLK has the same approach/system with her Xenon headlights.

The new GLE uses 84 LEDs (in a 3-row configuration) per headlamp, and each one is 'pointed' at a certain spot. As the tech 'sees' oncoming cars (for example), it actively dims/shuts off the LEDs that would correspond to the 'space' where that car is - it's actually amazing technology. (And, it worked perfectly - one of the best night-time driving experiences I've ever had.)

Mercedes posted this video on YouTube on how it works:

(In case that link stops working, use the search phrase "gle multibeam led", and look for the Mercedes-posted video (approximately 3:58 long).

Hope that helps!
ChrissyW (01-25-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 07:11 PM

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Originally Posted by bikedude
I just took delivery of my '20 GLE-350 yesterday, and it has the Active Multibeam system. My previous car was a '19 GLC-30 with their Active LED, and the two technologies are entirely different - I was equally confused at first.

The GLC active system uses motors to physically 'point' the LED headlight module around; my wife's '14 GLK has the same approach/system with her Xenon headlights.

The new GLE uses 84 LEDs (in a 3-row configuration) per headlamp, and each one is 'pointed' at a certain spot. As the tech 'sees' oncoming cars (for example), it actively dims/shuts off the LEDs that would correspond to the 'space' where that car is - it's actually amazing technology. (And, it worked perfectly - one of the best night-time driving experiences I've ever had.)

(In case that link stops working, use the search phrase "gle multibeam led", and look for the Mercedes-posted video (approximately 3:58 long).

Hope that helps!
This does not work in US. The US has a "dump down" version of the multibeam led due to regulation. The only "smart" feature that is available (as far as I know) is the high beam assist which turn off all high beam leds when it detect the car. None of the other features are available in US.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,186 Likes on 853 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Intelligent Lighting

Originally Posted by zengshengliu
This does not work in US. The US has a "dump down" version of the multibeam led due to regulation. The only "smart" feature that is available (as far as I know) is the high beam assist which turn off all high beam leds when it detect the car. None of the other features are available in US.
It does steer the beams around curves, as well, and of course the Active High Beam Assist.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:47 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
It does steer the beams around curves, as well, and of course the Active High Beam Assist.
Does it? I never really notice the "additional" lights on the side when turning (like they shown on the video).
Although it could be there but I just never notice it since they don't physically move like the older generation, but with additional LED lights.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:34 PM

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts
2020 GLE 450 AMG exterior
I’ve never noticed it “bend” around a turn either, and I’ve specifically looked for it because we have it on my wife’s Lexus and I really like it.

Is it a setting that must be activated?
Old 01-07-2020, 09:16 AM

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
Originally Posted by bigpern23
I’ve never noticed it “bend” around a turn either, and I’ve specifically looked for it because we have it on my wife’s Lexus and I really like it.

Is it a setting that must be activated?
It is automatic. No settings need to be activated.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:01 AM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Interesting. I will have to look for those additional LED light activation on corners and turns next time when I drive at night.
I been trying to spot it at my office parking lot when I head home (have to make a few 90 degree turns) but can't seems to notice any difference in lights at the edge.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
'14 E550, '14 911 C4S Cab, '12 ML350
Originally Posted by zengshengliu
If the US spec GLEs have the same hardware, I wonder if it's possible to obtain these lighting features through a software upgrade.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLE 450
I'm hoping US models can be upgraded with a software tweak! Should pick up my new GLE 450 in the next day or two. $900 for a crippled light system??

Looking around the web, it appears that approval in the US is getting closer. Anyone have details?
Old 01-08-2020, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Gary A
I'm hoping US models can be upgraded with a software tweak! Should pick up my new GLE 450 in the next day or two. $900 for a crippled light system??

Looking around the web, it appears that approval in the US is getting closer. Anyone have details?
Crippled or not, the upgraded lights are very excellent.
Hurricane1938 (01-08-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 12:22 AM

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts
2020 GLE 450 AMG exterior
Crippled or not, the upgraded lights are very excellent.
They are. I'm still unsure about the idea that pivoting headlights aren't allowed in the US. The headlights on my wife's Lexus turn into a corner and I'm sure I've seen other vehicles advertise this feature.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:34 AM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
They are. I'm still unsure about the idea that pivoting headlights aren't allowed in the US. The headlights on my wife's Lexus turn into a corner and I'm sure I've seen other vehicles advertise this feature.
I believe the pivot light are allowed in US, since it is available in older Mercedes with projector headlight, it is just not enabled in the US version (at least I haven't notice it working on my car).
The feature that is definitely missing is the automatic high beam with smart "block out" the section where the car ahead are while maintaining the high beam around.
I haven't encounter a roundabout yet so not sure if the roundabout light is enable in US.
Also not sure if the smart dimming on wet road is working as it is only noticeable by oncoming traffic.

So as far as I can tell, I only see the auto high beam (all on or off) working, and I haven't notice any others yet.

Last edited by zengshengliu; 01-09-2020 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As zengshengliu says, mechanically-pivoting headlamps are permitted (my ML had them), but ADBs (Adaptive Driving Beams) are not. The DOT will not simply adopt European standards but wants to create their own, so naturally, being the government, it takes forever.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
GLE450
My 2013 Audi S5 has pivoting headlamps and they're excellent. It's one of the main reasons I sprung for the adaptive lighting package. After watching the video I'm excited by the extended possibilities but discouraged that the DOT deems it dangerous and/or unnecessary. My question is why are we paying for the technology if it's not available or pending regulation?? Shouldn't the feature set on the headlamp package be numbed down as well as the price? And if DOT ever does approve it will an upgrade to unlock its potential ever become available?

I test drove a 2020 GLE450 with adaptive lighting and I too don't remember the lights hugging the corners like my S5 does (granted it's an older technology but it worked a lot better!).
Old 01-09-2020, 05:46 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Originally Posted by killagram
My 2013 Audi S5 has pivoting headlamps and they're excellent. It's one of the main reasons I sprung for the adaptive lighting package. After watching the video I'm excited by the extended possibilities but discouraged that the DOT deems it dangerous and/or unnecessary. My question is why are we paying for the technology if it's not available or pending regulation?? Shouldn't the feature set on the headlamp package be numbed down as well as the price? And if DOT ever does approve it will an upgrade to unlock its potential ever become available?

I test drove a 2020 GLE450 with adaptive lighting and I too don't remember the lights hugging the corners like my S5 does (granted it's an older technology but it worked a lot better!).
In theory, its the same hardware so it should be software upgrade-able when it is approved.
As for the corner light, when it works (I haven't notice it yet), the main light beam doesn't move, but there should be additional lights activating at the corner.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Adaptive Beam Headlamps

It's not that DOT/NHTSA believe the technology is dangerous or unnecessary, but DOT wants to develop lab-verifiable standards for such systems that manufacturers can use. Apparently, in Europe the systems are developed/tested on a more empirical basis. So, while we should have standards for adaptive lighting at some point, whether the current systems in use would meet those new standards with software updates is obviously unknown. Maybe if the subbed development of the standards out to private industry if would happen a lot sooner!
Old 01-10-2020, 01:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
GLE450
Maybe if the subbed development of the standards out to private industry if would happen a lot sooner!
I have reservations regarding contractors since I'm a government employee (not DOT fortunately) but I agree with you and we should take a cue from across the pond.

I know this is a bit far-fetched but is it possible to change software settings on the vehicle via the OBD II port and software? Audi has a hex-net solution via a company named Ross-Tech that allows you to change settings like keeping your LED running lights on while making a turn (usually LED highlights are disabled when the turn signals are engaged) as well as using your DVD player while the car is in motion. Granted some of these options may not be the smartest idea if used w/o common sense, but enabling the headlights to perform the way they were designed is mighty tempting.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have reservations regarding contractors since I'm a government employee (not DOT fortunately) but I agree with you and we should take a cue from across the pond.

I know this is a bit far-fetched but is it possible to change software settings on the vehicle via the OBD II port and software? Audi has a hex-net solution via a company named Ross-Tech that allows you to change settings like keeping your LED running lights on while making a turn (usually LED highlights are disabled when the turn signals are engaged) as well as using your DVD player while the car is in motion. Granted some of these options may not be the smartest idea if used w/o common sense, but enabling the headlights to perform the way they were designed is mighty tempting.
"Coding" is quite popular on performance cars; I'm somewhat familiar with it on BMWs. There is probably a way and someone in that field will probably figure it out. At issue is whether future software upgrades will wipe it out. Just had my BMW in the shop for an oxygen sensor replacement and whatever they did wiped out my coding.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:10 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
I feels like the lights with the Exterior Lighting Package really missing a lot of features in USA.
Here is the Youtube video for the feature posted by Mercedes Benz USA (which I assume it means those are the features available in USA)

And this is the description from Mercedes Benz USA website for the package information:
Intelligent Light System with Ultra Range HighbeamsPioneered by Mercedes-Benz, active LED headlamps generate light that's perceived much like natural daylight. Active Curve Illumination and Adaptive Highbeam Assist continuously adjust the beam pattern of the LEDs in each headlamp to help maximize the illumination of corners and straightaways, without creating glare for other drivers. A new Ultra Range Highbeam feature is designed to better illuminate the road and the environment along either side.

Available in Exterior Lighting Package
Adaptive Highbeam AssistAdaptive Highbeam Assist can automatically activate the high beams when camera technology detects there are no vehicles within range ahead of you.

Available in Exterior Lighting Package
For me, I only see the Adaptive Highbeam Assist working, I don't see anything from the "Intelligent Light System with Ultra Range Highbeams" package works.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLE 450
We've had our GLE450 for 5 days now. 450 Miles on it. Mostly, I like it a lot (can't say that about the manual). However, either I'm missing something about setting up the lights, or there's, IMHO, a serious problem with them. Or, maybe there's just an uncommon fault with mine.

To me, the high beam works reasonable well (though lacking the high tech features apparently available in other countries). However, when the auto system switches to low beam it feels downright dangerous! There is a very definite threshold between illuminated and dark areas when in low beam. I.E. the road is illuminated for a reasonable distance in front of the car but essentially dark above that. For example, at times we could easily see the tires and bumper of a car ahead but barely see the back window. Last night as we drove out our dark, hilly, lane we barely notice the feet of deer along side the road. We were going down hill and the deer was standing along side maybe a couple of feet higher than the road. As we were coming home a car approaching ours blinked its lights OFF. I assume the driver thought we didn't have ours on.

Here are a couple of pictures taken this evening. First one is low beam on, second is high beam from same location.

Low Beam

High Beam

Notice that in the low beam image there's not a hint of the tree on the right side of the road, or the brush sticking out on the left at about the same distance.
Seems like, rather than dimming the light on low beam, the vehicle is concentrating it in a small area - leaving other critical areas dark.

The manual included in the MBUX system (under INDEX) has an animation showing what I had hoped for. Nothing like what I got.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Old 01-23-2020, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lighting

Originally Posted by Gary A
We've had our GLE450 for 5 days now. 450 Miles on it. Mostly, I like it a lot (can't say that about the manual). However, either I'm missing something about setting up the lights, or there's, IMHO, a serious problem with them. Or, maybe there's just an uncommon fault with mine.

To me, the high beam works reasonable well (though lacking the high tech features apparently available in other countries). However, when the auto system switches to low beam it feels downright dangerous! There is a very definite threshold between illuminated and dark areas when in low beam. I.E. the road is illuminated for a reasonable distance in front of the car but essentially dark above that. For example, at times we could easily see the tires and bumper of a car ahead but barely see the back window. Last night as we drove out our dark, hilly, lane we barely notice the feet of deer along side the road. We were going down hill and the deer was standing along side maybe a couple of feet higher than the road. As we were coming home a car approaching ours blinked its lights OFF. I assume the driver thought we didn't have ours on.

Here are a couple of pictures taken this evening. First one is low beam on, second is high beam from same location.

Notice that in the low beam image there's not a hint of the tree on the right side of the road, or the brush sticking out on the left at about the same distance.
Seems like, rather than dimming the light on low beam, the vehicle is concentrating it in a small area - leaving other critical areas dark.

The manual included in the MBUX system (under INDEX) has an animation showing what I had hoped for. Nothing like what I got.

Has anyone else noticed this?
So you have the DA4 Exterior Lighting Package? The low beam photo does look like a low cutoff, though it appears the road is sloping up? I would be surprised if the lights didn't have some mechanical aiming adjustment; next time it's at the dealer you might ask if they can be adjusted.
bikedude (01-23-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone else notice that many active LED headlights are really inactive?