MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLE Class (V167) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-v167-250/)
-   -   E Active Body Control (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-v167/738216-e-active-body-control.html)

bkushner 03-10-2019 01:29 PM

E Active Body Control

Anyone getting this? Looks interested but for $8K I took a pass.

JoeMa 03-10-2019 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by bkushner (Post 7701934)
Anyone getting this? Looks interested but for $8K I took a pass.

Myself and Greg included E-ABC on our builds. I wanted it for several reasons but I'll let MB explain it:

The active suspension also allows a very wide spread of handling characteristics that can be set with the driving mode – from the comfort of a luxury saloon to the agility of a sporty SUV. In addition the engineers have realised a number of new functions for the GLE:

Rocking mode: If the GLE has become bogged down in a sand dune, for example, this mode - which is only available in the Offroad program - can help to free the vehicle more easily in many such situations. If possible the suspension level is automatically raised and lowered several times, thus alternately increasing and reducing the ground pressure of the tyres and improving traction – the GLE rocks itself free.

Individual wheel actuation: Individual wheel actuation is another new function for off-road driving. After selecting the Offroad program, this allows the spring level at each wheel to be individually adjusted via the touchscreen of the media display, thus improving the vehicle's off-road attitude on rough terrain when e.g. one wheel is stuck in a ditch or a wheel spring is fully compressed.

Rear-end lowering when loading/unloading: When the button for rear end lowering in the luggage compartment is pressed, the vehicle is lowered to a defined level at the rear axle. This allows the luggage compartment to be more conveniently loaded and unloaded. The level at the front axle remains unchanged. The rear axle is lowered by 40 mm from its currently set level, but not lower than -70 mm. This function is deactivated when a trailer is connected.

E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL in the GLE also has functions already familiar from the S-Class, which have been improved further:

Curve tilting function: In driving mode CURVE, the GLE actively leans into bends by up to 3° in three stages, like a motorcycle. This reduces the lateral forces acting on the occupants. Cornering is therefore made much more pleasant, especially for the front and passengers.

ROAD SURFACE SCAN: If the GLE is equipped with a stereo multipurpose camera, this continuously monitors the road surface ahead of the vehicle. The suspension struts are then activated so as to substantially reduce the body movements when driving over surface undulations, as the suspension responds even before the uneven stretch is reached.

E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL in the GLE supplements the air suspension with semi-supporting hydropneumatics. The air springs bear the base load of the vehicle body and gradually regulate the level. The hydropneumatics generate dynamic forces that overlay the air suspension forces, and actively support and dampen the vehicle body.

At each wheel, a damper is installed within the axle whose two working chambers have an adjustable damping valve and a hydraulic pressure reservoir. The damper is connected to an intelligent motor/pump unit in the 48 V network by hydraulic lines. Actuation of the motor/pump unit enables the hydraulic fluid to be displaced to create a difference in pressure within the damper, allowing an active force to be generated.

The motor/pump units at all four wheels are coordinated by a central control unit which also actuates the valves and the compressor for the air spring, and therefore always controls the entire suspension system. It was developed according to the safety standard ISO 26262.

The transition from a belt-driven hydraulic pump to an electric 48-volt pump also takes into account the increasing electrification of the powertrain: the combustion engine is idle increasingly often – or not used at all.

And finally, when optioning E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL, DYNAMIC SELECT includes a Sport Plus (S+) mode that maximizes dynamism and engine/transmission response; ECO start/stop is deactivated. This mode is not available in any other configuration on the 350 or 450 without E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL.

Greg and myself will post our thoughts on the real-world advantages of E-ABC as soon as our GLE 450's arrive. Stay tuned.

Skizz 03-10-2019 05:12 PM

I have it on my order as well. Was one of the things that caused me to opt for the GLE450 over the new Cayenne. The S-class version of ABC is very nice and once I drove one with the option, I couldn't go back to the base model. After dropping $8,100 on it, hoping it has the same effect on me with the GLE.

JoeMa 03-10-2019 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Skizz (Post 7702113)
I have it on my order as well. Was one of the things that caused me to opt for the GLE450 over the new Cayenne. The S-class version of ABC is very nice and once I drove one with the option, I couldn't go back to the base model. After dropping $8,100 on it, hoping it has the same effect on me with the GLE.

So you own or did own a S Class with Magic Body Control?

Skizz 03-10-2019 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by JoeMa (Post 7702145)
So you own or did own a S Class with Magic Body Control?

I had a friend that owned a 2015 with ABC that I drove for a few weeks while he was driving my E63. I liked it enough that I started looking for one of my own (a few years old though, probably 2015-2016; the depreciation on an S class is a killer). I thought my wife would like it too as she never got over me selling her LS430. So, I drove a number of them during my search. Trying to find one with ABC ("magic" body control for the W222) was't that easy. Most were 4matics, which were mutually exclusive of ABC. I sold my E63 to buy the S550, but trying to find one with ABC, Burmester 3D and four-seat executive package is a needle in a haystack. About the only ones I ever saw were black, and I've had my fill of black cars and trying to maintain the paint in the condition I prefer. It was going to be a garage queen toy car, same as my E, but maybe the new GLE will fill the void, and I can kill two birds with one daily-driver $90k stone. I've held off buying an S class to see how the GLE works for me.

I meant dropping $8,100 on it on the GLE.

JoeMa 03-10-2019 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Skizz (Post 7702159)
I had a friend that owned a 2015 with ABC that I drove for a few weeks while he was driving my E63. I liked it enough that I started looking for one of my own (a few years old though, probably 2015-2016; the depreciation on an S class is a killer). I thought my wife would like it too as she never got over me selling her LS430. So, I drove a number of them during my search. Trying to find one with ABC ("magic" body control for the W222) was't that easy. Most were 4matics, which were mutually exclusive of ABC. I sold my E63 to buy the S550, but trying to find one with ABC, Burmester 3D and four-seat executive package is a needle in a haystack. About the only ones I ever saw were black, and I've had my fill of black cars and trying to maintain the paint in the condition I prefer. It was going to be a garage queen toy car, same as my E, but maybe the new GLE will fill the void, and I can kill two birds with one daily-driver $90k stone. I've held off buying an S class to see how the GLE works for me.

I meant dropping $8,100 on it on the GLE.

We owned a 2009 Lexus LS 460 but who wouldn't want to own a loaded S-Class just once in their life? My wife and I are considering a used S-Class Cabriolet 560 or even an AMG 63 variant if we ever find one that suits us. Maybe next year if one pops up. I just read that MB is dropping the S-Coupe and Cabriolet with the introduction of the next gen S.

Skizz 03-10-2019 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by JoeMa (Post 7702169)
We owned a 2009 Lexus LS 460 but who wouldn't want to own a loaded S-Class just once in their life? My wife and I are considering a used S-Class Cabriolet 560 or even an AMG 63 variant if we ever find one that suits us. Maybe next year if one pops up. I just read that MB is dropping the S-Coupe and Cabriolet with the introduction of the next gen S.

I do like those coupes, but they are still a bit pricey; they hold their values better than the sedan. For a second car (actually fourth car) that I won't drive much, I've kind of capped myself at $70k or so, and it's hard to find a coupe in proper condition and miles for that price still. You can get a nice 2016 or 2017 sedan for that now, except one with the equipment I want is still at the upper end. And rare. Still love the AMG's, but again, the price for a garage queen when I'm buying the new GLE stops making sense to me.

Wow, did not know they were discontinuing the coupe. When is the next gen S class coming out? Maybe a W222 is in my future....

JoeMa 03-10-2019 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Skizz (Post 7702180)
When is the next gen S class coming out? Maybe a W222 is in my future....

The W223 next-gen S-Class is rumored to go into production next year as a 2021 model. Check out the huge center screen they're planning:

https://www.motor1.com/news/305527/2...-interior-spy/

This article talks about the Coupe and Cabrio not being renewed:

https://www.motor1.com/news/307039/m...-coupe-cabrio/

KJ 03-11-2019 12:57 AM

I ordered E-ABC, it was one of the key features that led me to get the GLE 450. It's a much more advanced system than the S-Class, so if you loved the S-Class system, you should love this version even more!

Every review I've read or watched on YouTube pretty much says this suspension is off the charts amazing. And it's the only SUV in the world with this type of suspension so that's appealing for sure.

Car is for my wife and our upcoming baby. I think her and the baby will really appreciate the smooth ride from the E-ABC suspension.

When I'm driving, it will also allow me to drive a little more enthusiastically without the passengers feeling it as much. =)

Brer Rabbit 08-18-2019 07:39 PM

Has anyone taken delivery and driven a GLE 450 with this? I am still working on my build and current have it included but would like to hear comments from some users.

KJ 08-19-2019 12:40 AM

So I changed my order from a GLE 450 with E-ABC, to a GLE 53 AMG with "AMG Active Ride Control".

Anyone know the difference between the two?

tery 08-19-2019 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by KJ (Post 7832015)
So I changed my order from a GLE 450 with E-ABC, to a GLE 53 AMG with "AMG Active Ride Control".

You can place order for GLE53 now ? ETA ?

GregW / Oregon 08-19-2019 10:02 AM

Active Ride Control

Originally Posted by KJ (Post 7832015)

ARC is an updated version of the Active Curve I had on my '12 ML with the Handling Package. It uses the 48V system to power active antiroll bars to reduce lean in corners, along with Airmatic. I would have gone for this in lieu of E-ABC if it had been available - less cost and complexity.

"Total stabilization: AMG ACTIVE RIDE CONTROL

Redeveloped in Affalterbach, AMG ACTIVE RIDE CONTROL based on AIRMATIC forms the basis of a driving experience characterized by a high level of agility, neutral cornering behavior and optimal traction. A new feature makes a significant contribution to the AMG-specific tuning for high levels of driving dynamics: the active roll stabilization with two electro-mechanical actuators working independently of one another on the front and rear axle, as well as fully variable torque distribution.

Not only does the system reduce rolling movements when cornering, it also enables more precise tuning of cornering and load changes. In addition, it increases driving comfort when driving straight ahead. Movements in the body can be actively and optimally adjusted to driving conditions.

Air suspension with continuously adjustable damping

The AMG ACTIVE RIDE CONTROL based on AIRMATIC with particularly sporty spring/damper set-up, including adaptive adjustable damping ADS+ (Adaptive Damping System), combines outstanding driving dynamics with high ride comfort. The damping characteristics can be pre-selected in three modes, "Comfort", "Sport" and "Sport+", allowing a significantly more noticeable differentiation between excellent long-distance comfort and sporty driving dynamics. In addition, there are two new levels for off-road use - "Trail" and "Sand".

Thanks to pneumatic self-levelling at the front and rear axle, the GLE 53 maintains a constant ride height regardless of the vehicle load. The vehicle level is generally lowered by 15 mm in the AMG DYNAMIC SELECT drive programs "Sport" and "Sport+". In the "Comfort" drive program, the vehicle is lowered by 15 mm from a speed of 75 mph. This reduces aerodynamic drag and, in turn, fuel consumption. In addition, handling stability improves thanks to a lower center of gravity. In order to increase the ground clearance on poor road surfaces or on ramps, the vehicle body level can be raised by up to 55 mm at the touch of a button with the engine running – both with the car stationary and in motion."

GregW / Oregon 08-19-2019 10:09 AM

E-ABC

Originally Posted by Brer Rabbit (Post 7831847)
Has anyone taken delivery and driven a GLE 450 with this? I am still working on my build and current have it included but would like to hear comments from some users.

I've had mine for over 3 months (I may be the only one on here as production of this option has been very slow). Here are some thoughts I posted a while back: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post7780731. I wanted more roll control than just Airmatic gives you and it was the only option. I would get it again, but I do worry about the complexity for the long term.

Brer Rabbit 08-19-2019 10:45 AM

Thank you Greg. Does the Individual setting on Drive Program let you mix any of those settings. For example, turn on Road Surface Scan at the same time as Curve Inclination? I didn't really understand what specific settings you could set in the Individual Drive Program, Sounds like the ELW may be a good thing to look into.

GregW / Oregon 08-19-2019 11:21 AM

E-ABC

Originally Posted by Brer Rabbit (Post 7832191)
Thank you Greg. Does the Individual setting on Drive Program let you mix any of those settings. For example, turn on Road Surface Scan at the same time as Curve Inclination? I didn't really understand what specific settings you could set in the Individual Drive Program, Sounds like the ELW may be a good thing to look into.

To tell you the truth, I haven't even explored the Individual program yet. But, I just noticed an error in that referenced post (now corrected). I meant to say Road Surface Scan is active in "Comfort" & "Curve" modes. I'm sure there is no way to activate it in other modes.

KJ 08-19-2019 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by tery (Post 7832026)
You can place order for GLE53 now ? ETA ?

I was told October/November 2019, but not holding my breath based on what everyone on the forums has said regarding delays.

There still isn't pricing, only options/option packages/color/trim etc.

tery 08-19-2019 05:52 PM

Do your mean placing order starts this winter or taking delivery of GLE53 is originally estimate November?

KJ 08-19-2019 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by tery (Post 7832570)
Do your mean placing order starts this winter or taking delivery of GLE53 is originally estimate November?

Dealership said they have 2 demo model's coming September and I have the first allocation (September) for November delivery.

Considering I haven't heard anything on this forum yet (and usually the U.S. guys get the cars first), I'm not very confident of the quoted timelines.

AMMBGLE 08-30-2019 07:09 PM

Can anyone advise on their experiences with the regular air suspension in the GLE. I test drove a GLE with regular suspension and it seemed floaty. I m thinking an air suspension would give a sportier ride but does cost 1710.
Thank you

whoover 08-30-2019 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Skizz (Post 7702113)

A bit late to this thread, but the Air Body Control in the E-Class has nothing whatsoever to do with Active Body Control (later called Magic Body Control to avoid ABC confusion) in the S-Class. E-Class ABC works well, but is pneumatic and fairly statically controls strut stiffness. It has regular and sport settings that control whether one or two strut bladders are pressurized and it has a bit of dynamic adjustment based on road conditions, and it allows level control.

S-Class ABC/MBC is a hydraulic system that constantly changes damping within milliseconds, based on sensors that relay information about body attitude. The MBC version uses cameras to include information about road imperfections it's about to encounter. Like noise-cancelling headphones, the hydraulics apply motions to counteract forces acting on the body. It does an amazing job of smoothing out the ride. On my S65, it also seemed to defy the laws of physics in taming body roll and understeer with the massive V-12 up front. The E-Class ABC, even in AMG tune on the E63S, doesn't come close. On the other hand, the E is so much more fun to drive. The magic-carpet ride of MBC isn't about driver's feedback.

As has been mentioned, AWD is such an important part of the automotive experience now that it's a near-fatal flaw of ActiveBC/MBC that it can't be installed in AWD cars. It operates on four wheels, but there are physical limitations that prevent it from working with 4Matic.

bad habit 08-31-2019 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by AMMBGLE (Post 7842349)
Can anyone advise on their experiences with the regular air suspension in the GLE. I test drove a GLE with regular suspension and it seemed floaty. I m thinking an air suspension would give a sportier ride but does cost 1710.
Thank you

I haven't actually had a chance to test drive one with AIRMATIC but my build has it just because I was feeling the floatiness you are describing with the base suspension. I figured the AIRMATIC will be able to be adjusted to be firmer and you can also lower the ride a bit so that should help.

tiri 08-31-2019 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by AMMBGLE (Post 7842349)
Thank you

I had steel springs on my 2016, and chose air suspension for my 2020. There’s a noticeable difference, especially in the damping. Being able to alternate between comfort and sport is another benefit. I’d choose it again on my next build.

GregW / Oregon 09-02-2019 11:23 AM

E-ABC

Just got back from a 720-mile round trip from Portland to far Eastern Oregon. Ran in Eco mode on the freeway. But the last 60 miles from near Baker City to Halfway is one of my favorite roads. It goes through a canyon that was an old stage coach route. Twisty road with lots of elevation changes along the way. I ran that in Sport+ which felt really good. I had tried Curve mode earlier but it is really too soft for enthusiastic driving. Sport+ uses the lowest suspension setting and really firms things up, but is not punishing on bumps. I averaged 65 mph on this section, which is pretty good if you saw it. This road, which we do every Labor Day, is one of the reasons I got E-ABC.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...f9c7de687e.jpg

tiri 12-10-2019 11:24 AM

I just came across this link in my local paper's website. https://www.guideauto.tv/videos/5830...=reco#cxrecs_s
It's a francophone website; the video has no voice-over, as it appears to be a B-Roll video footage making it universal.
At one point you will see a side by side comparison of a GLS with E-ABC and another without. What a difference it makes.

bob01 12-10-2019 12:47 PM

3 months / 8500km - love it.
  • Curve mode - wonderful sensation on winding roads, on/off ramps etc, the reduced centrifugal force adds to the comfort and confidence esp when paired with the massive rear wheels.
    Pretty cool listening to the actuators work when the cabin is silent too
  • Surface scan - smoothens the ride even more beyond airmatic
  • Sport+ - additional body control, FUN when pushing harder, doesn't feel like a larger vehicle at all in this mode
Haven't played with the "bouncy" feature yet but it's winter now so there will probably be opportunities.
One of my favorite packages - will include it in future orders.

stealth.pilot 12-26-2019 10:54 PM

Have the people who bought the e-abc feature consider the active road scan feature useful? I am wondering how big a difference it makes.

GregW / Oregon 12-26-2019 11:13 PM

Road Surface Scan

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot (Post 7936852)
Have the people who bought the e-abc feature consider the active road scan feature useful? I am wondering how big a difference it makes.

IMO, it’s noticeable, but fairly subtle. Also, be aware it doesn’t work at night. In Comfort mode I find the ride pretty plush even with 21s.

stealth.pilot 12-26-2019 11:48 PM

Thanks Greg. Would you spec it again or go for just the air suspension?

GregW / Oregon 12-27-2019 12:13 AM

E-ABC

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot (Post 7936881)
Thanks Greg. Would you spec it again or go for just the air suspension?

I would do it again, but something a little simpler and less expensive like the GLE 53’s Active Ride might be ideal.

BACnMercedes 12-28-2019 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon (Post 7936864)
Also, be aware it doesn’t work at night.

Are you serious? So the $8100 option is useless at night. Does it have some warning light that lets you know its not engaged or can you actually feel it? (Rethinking my options)

GregW / Oregon 12-28-2019 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by BACnMercedes (Post 7937632)
Are you serious? So the $8100 option is useless at night. Does it have some warning light that lets you know its not engaged or can you actually feel it? (Rethinking my options)

It’s just the Road Scanning that is not operable at night because it relies on cameras. All other functions work. And no, it’s not a night/day difference with/without the scan function.

Skizz 12-29-2019 11:07 AM

Personally, upon reflection of cost and E-ABC's effects, but without a ton of direct side-by-side comparison, if I had to do it over again, I'd skip the E-ABC and just get the air suspension. Other than the curve function and a few other modes, I didn't find a huge difference in overall on-the-road ride quality between the two. At least not enough to justify cost. At half the price, I could see it, but it's still not the S-class ride I was hoping for (which I know well). This is, of course, my opinion only and YMMV.

joejones81 07-15-2020 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon (Post 7832219)
To tell you the truth, I haven't even explored the Individual program yet. But, I just noticed an error in that referenced post (now corrected). I meant to say Road Surface Scan is active in "Comfort" & "Curve" modes. I'm sure there is no way to activate it in other modes.

Its alluded to above but it’s worth highlighting that the “Road Surface Scan,” which uses a forward facing camera to detect bumps is available in “comfort” and “curve” and the manual indicates it’s explicitly deactivated for ECO, SPORT, OFF-ROAD, etc.

This picture is from the GLS manual but I expect it to be the same for GLE (v167).
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...a9ae3fc51b.png

Ron.s 07-31-2020 07:43 PM

Here’s an interesting video/explanation of E-ABC safety. I’m convinced that it’s gone in the GLE not over take rate but supply issues.

petee1997 08-01-2020 09:36 AM

My 53 is coming with AMG Body Control with air suspension. Would that be the same as Active body control. This is all standard on the Canadian GLE53.

Ron.s 08-01-2020 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by petee1997 (Post 8122028)
My 53 is coming with AMG Body Control with air suspension. Would that be the same as Active body control. This is all standard on the Canadian GLE53.

The AMG version has different versions of Air Suspension settings with a firmer ride but is more like the standard Air Suspension. Then there is AMG Active Ride Control that regulates the Sway Bars. E-ABC is more sophisticated and instantly varies ride height/compression of each wheel independently (oversimplification). There is a lot of detailed info in previous threads on this Forum.

petee1997 08-01-2020 11:23 AM

OK, I get it. I have the standard AMG air suspension. The active ride control comes with the AMG track package. My CLS53 has a variance of that, mostly trim and exhaust and track timer but nothing re: the suspension. I don't think I need that for my kind of driving.

tery 08-02-2020 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by petee1997 (Post 8122028)

Or Canadian Market you will need to add Active ride control to your stander AMG tuned air suspension. Or you will get stander sway bar system instead an electronic control sway bar system.

petee1997 08-02-2020 06:01 PM

Yes, I read up on it. Th e suspension is the standard AMG air suspension. It should be OK for what I do with the car.