Notices

E Active Body Control

Old 03-10-2019, 01:29 PM

Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
2020 GLE450 / 2003 SL500
E Active Body Control

Anyone getting this? Looks interested but for $8K I took a pass.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Liked 102 Times in 80 Posts
19 BMW X7 xDrive 50i
Originally Posted by bkushner View Post
Anyone getting this? Looks interested but for $8K I took a pass.
Myself and Greg included E-ABC on our builds. I wanted it for several reasons but I'll let MB explain it:

The active suspension also allows a very wide spread of handling characteristics that can be set with the driving mode – from the comfort of a luxury saloon to the agility of a sporty SUV. In addition the engineers have realised a number of new functions for the GLE:

Rocking mode: If the GLE has become bogged down in a sand dune, for example, this mode - which is only available in the Offroad program - can help to free the vehicle more easily in many such situations. If possible the suspension level is automatically raised and lowered several times, thus alternately increasing and reducing the ground pressure of the tyres and improving traction – the GLE rocks itself free.

Individual wheel actuation: Individual wheel actuation is another new function for off-road driving. After selecting the Offroad program, this allows the spring level at each wheel to be individually adjusted via the touchscreen of the media display, thus improving the vehicle's off-road attitude on rough terrain when e.g. one wheel is stuck in a ditch or a wheel spring is fully compressed.

Rear-end lowering when loading/unloading: When the button for rear end lowering in the luggage compartment is pressed, the vehicle is lowered to a defined level at the rear axle. This allows the luggage compartment to be more conveniently loaded and unloaded. The level at the front axle remains unchanged. The rear axle is lowered by 40 mm from its currently set level, but not lower than -70 mm. This function is deactivated when a trailer is connected.

E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL in the GLE also has functions already familiar from the S-Class, which have been improved further:

Curve tilting function: In driving mode CURVE, the GLE actively leans into bends by up to 3 in three stages, like a motorcycle. This reduces the lateral forces acting on the occupants. Cornering is therefore made much more pleasant, especially for the front and passengers.

ROAD SURFACE SCAN: If the GLE is equipped with a stereo multipurpose camera, this continuously monitors the road surface ahead of the vehicle. The suspension struts are then activated so as to substantially reduce the body movements when driving over surface undulations, as the suspension responds even before the uneven stretch is reached.

E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL in the GLE supplements the air suspension with semi-supporting hydropneumatics. The air springs bear the base load of the vehicle body and gradually regulate the level. The hydropneumatics generate dynamic forces that overlay the air suspension forces, and actively support and dampen the vehicle body.

At each wheel, a damper is installed within the axle whose two working chambers have an adjustable damping valve and a hydraulic pressure reservoir. The damper is connected to an intelligent motor/pump unit in the 48 V network by hydraulic lines. Actuation of the motor/pump unit enables the hydraulic fluid to be displaced to create a difference in pressure within the damper, allowing an active force to be generated.

The motor/pump units at all four wheels are coordinated by a central control unit which also actuates the valves and the compressor for the air spring, and therefore always controls the entire suspension system. It was developed according to the safety standard ISO 26262.

The transition from a belt-driven hydraulic pump to an electric 48-volt pump also takes into account the increasing electrification of the powertrain: the combustion engine is idle increasingly often – or not used at all.

And finally, when optioning E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL, DYNAMIC SELECT includes a Sport Plus (S+) mode that maximizes dynamism and engine/transmission response; ECO start/stop is deactivated. This mode is not available in any other configuration on the 350 or 450 without E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL.

Greg and myself will post our thoughts on the real-world advantages of E-ABC as soon as our GLE 450's arrive. Stay tuned.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:12 PM

Liked 36 Times in 32 Posts
like s#!t
I have it on my order as well. Was one of the things that caused me to opt for the GLE450 over the new Cayenne. The S-class version of ABC is very nice and once I drove one with the option, I couldn't go back to the base model. After dropping $8,100 on it, hoping it has the same effect on me with the GLE.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

19 BMW X7 xDrive 50i
Originally Posted by Skizz View Post
I have it on my order as well. Was one of the things that caused me to opt for the GLE450 over the new Cayenne. The S-class version of ABC is very nice and once I drove one with the option, I couldn't go back to the base model. After dropping $8,100 on it, hoping it has the same effect on me with the GLE.
So you own or did own a S Class with Magic Body Control?
Old 03-10-2019, 06:18 PM

like s#!t
Originally Posted by JoeMa View Post
So you own or did own a S Class with Magic Body Control?
I had a friend that owned a 2015 with ABC that I drove for a few weeks while he was driving my E63. I liked it enough that I started looking for one of my own (a few years old though, probably 2015-2016; the depreciation on an S class is a killer). I thought my wife would like it too as she never got over me selling her LS430. So, I drove a number of them during my search. Trying to find one with ABC ("magic" body control for the W222) was't that easy. Most were 4matics, which were mutually exclusive of ABC. I sold my E63 to buy the S550, but trying to find one with ABC, Burmester 3D and four-seat executive package is a needle in a haystack. About the only ones I ever saw were black, and I've had my fill of black cars and trying to maintain the paint in the condition I prefer. It was going to be a garage queen toy car, same as my E, but maybe the new GLE will fill the void, and I can kill two birds with one daily-driver $90k stone. I've held off buying an S class to see how the GLE works for me.

I meant dropping $8,100 on it on the GLE.

Last edited by Skizz; 03-10-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

19 BMW X7 xDrive 50i
I had a friend that owned a 2015 with ABC that I drove for a few weeks while he was driving my E63. I liked it enough that I started looking for one of my own (a few years old though, probably 2015-2016; the depreciation on an S class is a killer). I thought my wife would like it too as she never got over me selling her LS430. So, I drove a number of them during my search. Trying to find one with ABC ("magic" body control for the W222) was't that easy. Most were 4matics, which were mutually exclusive of ABC. I sold my E63 to buy the S550, but trying to find one with ABC, Burmester 3D and four-seat executive package is a needle in a haystack. About the only ones I ever saw were black, and I've had my fill of black cars and trying to maintain the paint in the condition I prefer. It was going to be a garage queen toy car, same as my E, but maybe the new GLE will fill the void, and I can kill two birds with one daily-driver $90k stone. I've held off buying an S class to see how the GLE works for me.

I meant dropping $8,100 on it on the GLE.
We owned a 2009 Lexus LS 460 but who wouldn't want to own a loaded S-Class just once in their life? My wife and I are considering a used S-Class Cabriolet 560 or even an AMG 63 variant if we ever find one that suits us. Maybe next year if one pops up. I just read that MB is dropping the S-Coupe and Cabriolet with the introduction of the next gen S.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:50 PM

like s#!t
Originally Posted by JoeMa View Post
We owned a 2009 Lexus LS 460 but who wouldn't want to own a loaded S-Class just once in their life? My wife and I are considering a used S-Class Cabriolet 560 or even an AMG 63 variant if we ever find one that suits us. Maybe next year if one pops up. I just read that MB is dropping the S-Coupe and Cabriolet with the introduction of the next gen S.
I do like those coupes, but they are still a bit pricey; they hold their values better than the sedan. For a second car (actually fourth car) that I won't drive much, I've kind of capped myself at $70k or so, and it's hard to find a coupe in proper condition and miles for that price still. You can get a nice 2016 or 2017 sedan for that now, except one with the equipment I want is still at the upper end. And rare. Still love the AMG's, but again, the price for a garage queen when I'm buying the new GLE stops making sense to me.

Wow, did not know they were discontinuing the coupe. When is the next gen S class coming out? Maybe a W222 is in my future....
Old 03-10-2019, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

19 BMW X7 xDrive 50i
When is the next gen S class coming out? Maybe a W222 is in my future....
The W223 next-gen S-Class is rumored to go into production next year as a 2021 model. Check out the huge center screen they're planning:

https://www.motor1.com/news/305527/2...-interior-spy/

This article talks about the Coupe and Cabrio not being renewed:

https://www.motor1.com/news/307039/m...-coupe-cabrio/

Last edited by JoeMa; 03-10-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:57 AM
KJ

Liked 51 Times in 48 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
I ordered E-ABC, it was one of the key features that led me to get the GLE 450. It's a much more advanced system than the S-Class, so if you loved the S-Class system, you should love this version even more!

Every review I've read or watched on YouTube pretty much says this suspension is off the charts amazing. And it's the only SUV in the world with this type of suspension so that's appealing for sure.

Car is for my wife and our upcoming baby. I think her and the baby will really appreciate the smooth ride from the E-ABC suspension.

When I'm driving, it will also allow me to drive a little more enthusiastically without the passengers feeling it as much. =)

Last edited by KJ; 03-11-2019 at 01:10 AM.