Front license plate mounting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,191 Likes on 858 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Front license plate mounting

It's obvious Mercedes gave minimal thought to how the US style front plate mounts (I know not all states require them, but 31 do). The European plates are nicely integrated:

But the US plates, especially with the AMG Line exterior ruin the design and the bracket is extremely clunky, IMO.

On my M4 I have a "Sto n Sho" mount, which come in various vehicle-specific configurations and float the plate free of the fascia, in addition to making it removable and installable in seconds. They have an application for the 2019 GLE AMG which places the plate lower so as not to disrupt the major element forming the top of the lower intake (ignore the top plate in the photo): https://bigmikesperformanceparts.com/2019-mercedes-amg-gle-63-s-coupe-suv-sns172/. The 2020 has a different profile to the bottom of the front fascia, so I am working with them to come up with a fitment for it. I sent them photos and measurements, but they need to see one for themselves. Stay tuned.
The following users liked this post:
bad habit (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 12:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 GLS 450, 2018 GLE 4matic
are they on all of them?
Old 05-21-2019, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Front plate mounting

Originally Posted by beth22
are they on all of them?
Not sure of your question - the bottom photo in my OP is of the factory mount (on a 2019, of course). The front photo in the link shows the stock position compared to the new mount below. The mount bracket attaches with either 2 or 4 screws and foam tape through the bottom of the front bumper fascia and cannot be seen with plate removed from normal viewing angles. The plate brackets slides in and out of the mount easily and is secured with a spring detent.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:19 PM

I'd never given front plates much of a thought (we don't have them here), but am glad we don't. I don't remember if we ever had to have them.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Front plate mounting

Originally Posted by beth22
are they on all of them?
Oh, I think I understand your question now - the plate mount comes uninstalled; dealers in states where they are not required will not install them, of course, and most others will ask first. Where are you (add to your profile)?
Old 05-21-2019, 02:05 PM

I'm in South Carolina. That's why I was going back and forth between mercedes and bmw when all the delays started happening. Going up the road to the bmw plant to pick up a vehicle and do the road tests there was a definite tempting second choice. If this third order doesn't pan out, I still may.

An odd thing, my order scan I received yesterday has something called 436 Comfort Headrests/front. It isn't on my husband's almost identical order. I don't see it in the Dealer Order Guide.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2020 GLE 450, 1992 Ford F-150
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
It's obvious Mercedes gave minimal thought to how the US style front plate mounts (I know not all states require them, but 31 do). The European plates are nicely integrated:

But the US plates, especially with the AMG Line exterior ruin the design and the bracket is extremely clunky, IMO.

On my M4 I have a "Sto n Sho" mount, which come in various vehicle-specific configurations and float the plate free of the fascia, in addition to making it removable and installable in seconds. They have an application for the 2019 GLE AMG which places the plate lower so as not to disrupt the major element forming the top of the lower intake (ignore the top plate in the photo): https://bigmikesperformanceparts.com/2019-mercedes-amg-gle-63-s-coupe-suv-sns172/. The 2020 has a different profile to the bottom of the front fascia, so I am working with them to come up with a fitment for it. I sent them photos and measurements, but they need to see one for themselves. Stay tuned.
Did you ever manage to get a front plate mount that allows you to mount the plate free of the fascia? If so, where did you get it? You referenced Big Mikes but as of today they only list the 2019 GLE plate mount on their website. Also, do you know how you can get black wheel bolts -- Our Mercedes dealers says they can only get the chrome ones and the chrome or black locking bolts...

We are first time Mercedes owners, and have really learned a lot from your posts - keep them coming!

Thanks.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Front license plate mount

Originally Posted by CB450
Did you ever manage to get a front plate mount that allows you to mount the plate free of the fascia? If so, where did you get it? You referenced Big Mikes but as of today they only list the 2019 GLE plate mount on their website. Also, do you know how you can get black wheel bolts -- Our Mercedes dealers says they can only get the chrome ones and the chrome or black locking bolts...

We are first time Mercedes owners, and have really learned a lot from your posts - keep them coming!
I adapted the Sto n Sho 2019 AMG GLE plate mount as shown here: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post7795120
I'm guessing alternate lug bolts will become more available over time, but since the GLE & GLS seem to be the only vehicles with this bolt spec they are limited now.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 10-30-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:31 PM
Banned

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
A
Originally Posted by CB450

Thanks.
I have a Selenite Gray AMG with the blackout accents and bought the Chrome locking bolts, the black ones don't match
Old 10-30-2019, 06:03 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE 450 / E450 Cabriolet
Never drilled for front play on the Boxster, Macan or Jag. We did for the GLE450 and E450 Cabriolet.

Last edited by DaveD9; 10-30-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Front plate mounting

Originally Posted by DaveD9
Never drilled for front play on the Boxster, Macan or Jag. We did for the GLE450 and E450 Cabriolet.
The nice thing about the setup I did is you can remove or reinstall it in about 10 seconds. City of Portland meter patrol will definitely ding you with an $85 ticket if you park downtown without a front plate.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:40 PM

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts
2020 GLE 450 AMG exterior
Talked to a friend who is a local police officer and it looks like no front license plate is a primary offense in my state, meaning you can be pulled over for not having one displayed. I'm considering giving this retractable plate mount a whirl. Looks like a pretty straightforward installation and would allow me to keep the plate hidden most of the time and activate it if I ever get pulled over. No wiring through the cabin required, either. Pretty nifty.

Last edited by bigpern23; 11-08-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:54 PM

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
2020 GLE
Originally Posted by bigpern23
Talked to a friend who is a local police officer and it looks like no front license plate is a primary offense in my state, meaning you can be pulled over for not having one displayed. I'm considering giving this retractable plate mount a whirl. Looks like a pretty straightforward installation and would allow me to keep the plate hidden most of the time and activate it if I ever get pulled over. No wiring through the cabin required, either. Pretty nifty.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0uALhUr4Haw
depending on the state, this may also be illegal.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by tinman831
depending on the state, this may also be illegal.
I assume it is, but only if you get caught!
Old 11-08-2019, 07:25 PM

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
2020 GLE
I assume it is, but only if you get caught!
If they noticed you didn’t have a plate and when they pulled you over, saw it, they’re going to take a closer look. There was a truck driver here many moons ago that rigged something similar up and pulled on a rope in his cab to hide the plate. This was to evade the toll booth cameras when he went down the toll road. Racked up a bunch of tolls that went unpaid up until he was caught. Got quite the chuckle when I saw it on the news.
The following users liked this post:
bigpern23 (11-08-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by tinman831
If they noticed you didn’t have a plate and when they pulled you over, saw it, they’re going to take a closer look. There was a truck driver here many moons ago that rigged something similar up and pulled on a rope in his cab to hide the plate. This was to evade the toll booth cameras when he went down the toll road. Racked up a bunch of tolls that went unpaid up until he was caught. Got quite the chuckle when I saw it on the news.
Cop friend just advised me not to worry about a front plate. Said an officer has to be really bored to pull you over for it, and likely wouldn't even notice at night because it's not illuminated and your headlights would make it hard to tell anyway. I may just ride it out until I get a ticket. I see Corvettes and Porsches without them all the time. Not sure if they're all just eating the cost of tickets, but it seems my buddy may be right.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Cop friend just advised me not to worry about a front plate. Said an officer has to be really bored to pull you over for it, and likely wouldn't even notice at night because it's not illuminated and your headlights would make it hard to tell anyway. I may just ride it out until I get a ticket. I see Corvettes and Porsches without them all the time. Not sure if they're all just eating the cost of tickets, but it seems my buddy may be right.
‘Mine is back off & I have been told much the same thing about tickets. I talked to a State Cop and two dealer SA’s and find that many people don’t put the front bracket on Luxury cars and they know of no tickets. That’s why my dealer didn’t install mine but offered to install if asked. The consensus is that I could get a ticket or warning if stopped for another reason. I just can’t find a position to mount a plate that doesn’t look a little odd, from the side if not the front.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ron.s
‘Mine is back off & I have been told much the same thing about tickets. I talked to a State Cop and two dealer SA’s and find that many people don’t put the front bracket on Luxury cars and they know of no tickets. That’s why my dealer didn’t install mine but offered to install if asked. The consensus is that I could get a ticket or warning if stopped for another reason. I just can’t find a position to mount a plate that doesn’t look a little odd, from the side if not the front.
It is incredible to me that a company could spend so many millions (billions?) of dollars developing a next-generation vehicle and not give consideration to license plate laws. I also wish the U.S. would adopt European style plates, since they generally flow better with the design of a vehicle.

GregW's setup is about the best legal option I have seen after doing some searching around the web.