GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Third Row - Photos with car seats in second row

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 09:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W205 C300
Third Row - Photos with car seats in second row

Dealers in the area do not have any demos with the third row option for me to try. We are expecting a third and would like some insight into the third row. I know it is tight and not adult friendly, but I'm more concerned about access with a child seat in second row. Videos show it tilt forward but I would like to see a photo to see how much access there is, tilted forward with seat installed. Additionally does the back vs base angle change? Lots I've seen required this change and yielded a third row useless with car seats in second.

Additionally are there tether points on the third row? I know there isn't isofix points, but it's there a possibility of seat installation with belt and tether in third. If you have photos of a child in booster (base only) in the third row that would be great too.

I love my current W205 but just not practical for the soon to be family of 5. Would rather stay with MB family. The go to it not an option, not a fan of the van life.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
So we have one with the third row. One thing you should know is that tilting the seat forward with the car seat base installed (ours is installed into the isofix) will not really work..... the seats seem to jam up if they can't fold all the way forward because of the base being in the way. So if you want people to get into the third row you would have to remove the car seat every time. Hope this made sense.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:52 PM

W205 C300
This therefore sounds like it would not work at all. Almost yielding the third row useless. Only made for children, yet no isofix in third row. Second row doesn't allow for child seats and moving out of the way? Could I ask for a video showing the issue? Just quite a $$$ mistake if it cannot achieve what I would need.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
I'll try and get you a video tmmrw. It may also be dependent on how big your base is for your car seat.... ours is an uppababy and is a pretty big base.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:39 PM

W205 C300
Sounds great, thanks. I'm hoping I can make something work. Does anyone use the third row in your vehicle? Also when you have a moment if you can check for top tether for third row. Might swap daughter and son.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:18 AM

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
Perhaps the new GLS would be better suited?
Old 09-02-2019, 08:40 AM

W205 C300
The GLS would be slightly out of my price range I would assume, once I option it up. Was looking for something that could get me 3 years until, daughter is out of booster, son is in booster, and baby is the last one in a car seat.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:42 PM

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
2020 GLE
Originally Posted by Ostheimer
The GLS would be slightly out of my price range I would assume, once I option it up. Was looking for something that could get me 3 years until, daughter is out of booster, son is in booster, and baby is the last one in a car seat.

Here's a decent video of what the second row seat does. It moves forward and pivots towards the front seats. Depending on how big the booster seat base is, it may push up against the front seats.

Relevant part of the video is at 1:05 min mark.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:58 PM

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
2020 GLE 300d
Dealers in the area do not have any demos with the third row option for me to try. We are expecting a third and would like some insight into the third row. I know it is tight and not adult friendly, but I'm more concerned about access with a child seat in second row. Videos show it tilt forward but I would like to see a photo to see how much access there is, tilted forward with seat installed. Additionally does the back vs base angle change? Lots I've seen required this change and yielded a third row useless with car seats in second.

Additionally are there tether points on the third row? I know there isn't isofix points, but it's there a possibility of seat installation with belt and tether in third. If you have photos of a child in booster (base only) in the third row that would be great too.

I love my current W205 but just not practical for the soon to be family of 5. Would rather stay with MB family. The go to it not an option, not a fan of the van life.
I don't see why it would not work. My advice is the following (that's what I do with the 4th child on my current vehicle): put your child in his/her booster from the trunk! So you don't have to move the second row! Of course, it's easier if the 7th seat is not up.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:33 PM

W205 C300
Originally Posted by Nico49_75
I don't see why it would not work. My advice is the following (that's what I do with the 4th child on my current vehicle): put your child in his/her booster from the trunk! So you don't have to move the second row! Of course, it's easier if the 7th seat is not up.
Fourth child? Three is worrying me. Hehe. Are the others in boosters, car seats? What makes and models. Also how do you tether in the third row? Or is it a belt positioning seat? Going through the trunk is an option, but with Canadian winter's I worry that everything would be destroyed.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:59 AM

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
2020 GLE 300d
Fourth child? Three is worrying me. Hehe. Are the others in boosters, car seats? What makes and models. Also how do you tether in the third row? Or is it a belt positioning seat? Going through the trunk is an option, but with Canadian winter's I worry that everything would be destroyed.
Yes, 4 children (5, 7, 9 and 10 years old). 1 in car seat, 2 with boosters and 1 with nothing. I can give you the make and model but not sure that you have already heard about them: Peugeot 5008 (year 2012). Here is a photo of the trunk with a 6-seat configuration:

All seat belts are three points seat belts, even in the third row.
The following users liked this post:
jsa1983 (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 12:10 PM

W205 C300
Originally Posted by Nico49_75
Yes, 4 children (5, 7, 9 and 10 years old). 1 in car seat, 2 with boosters and 1 with nothing. I can give you the make and model but not sure that you have already heard about them: Peugeot 5008 (year 2012). Here is a photo of the trunk with a 6-seat configuration:

All seat belts are three points seat belts, even in the third row.
Thanks for the input/insight. As it is a different car, I would need to know about the Benz with pics. Going to start calling around to other dealers and see if anything within a couple hours has a third row to try. Gotta expand my radius a bit.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 356 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
I know you may really want a Benz, and that is what this forum is about, but if I may make a recommendation, check out the 2020 Hyundai Palisade. It's by quite a margin the most luxurious and technological of the mid size three row non luxury SUVs. It has a large central display and optional digital instruments, heated and cooled seats in the first and second row plus 3 zone climate, tons of driver assist tech, power and speed thats on par with the GLE350, if a little less refined and smooth, a larger 3rd row seat, and available captains chairs in the second row that keep the seating at 7 but make 3rd row access a lot easier and don't require folding the second row at all. It is missing power reclining and putting back up 2nd row seats, but there is a release from the trunk, and the 3rd row is power unlike the GLE. Plus, when you don't have a carseat in the second row, there are super convenient and easy buttons that hydraulically move the 2nd row seats out of the way to easily access the third row. It's easier and less time consuming than the GLE imo. I test drove one recently (just for the $50 amazon gift card) and was really impressed. Not super sporty or fun to drive but very comfortable, easy to use tech, and very luxurious feeling, all for a great price.
If you do want a luxury vehicle, the XC90 can now be ordered with captains chairs, and I think I saw the new 2020 Q7 offering that too.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:29 PM

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
various
There is no way that the second row would fold with a child seat installed. Your only option would be access via the trunk.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:43 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450
Originally Posted by quattrogmbh
There is no way that the second row would fold with a child seat installed. Your only option would be access via the trunk.
It can’t fold but it can completely tilt forwards allowing access.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:47 PM

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
various
I have an ISOFIX high backed booster and the seat cannot hinge forward with it installed. The seat anti pinch protection activates nearly immediately and the seat stalls.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:52 PM

W205 C300
Originally Posted by quattrogmbh
I have an ISOFIX high backed booster and the seat cannot hinge forward with it installed. The seat anti pinch protection activates nearly immediately and the seat stalls.
Could you post a video? Also I know there is no isofix in third row, but is there a tether?

Sorry for the questions, would be easier if the dealers carried the option in a demo. Seems like the whole mechanism and use for third row is useless from what everyone is posting.

Thanks all for you inputs.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:48 PM

W205 C300
Could you post a video? Also I know there is no isofix in third row, but is there a tether?

Sorry for the questions, would be easier if the dealers carried the option in a demo. Seems like the whole mechanism and use for third row is useless from what everyone is posting.

Thanks all for you inputs.
Confirmed for myself through an ancap document that there is no tether in the third row either, therefore not recommended to install child seat in there.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
With 3rd row option - with child seat mounted in 2nd row - either 2nd row Passenger/"40%" side or Driver's/"60" side - you could still access the 3rd row from the opposite/non-child seat side - you would need to put 3rd row seat on the child seat side "up" before mounting the child seat ahead in the 2nd row.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:09 AM

Well, in any case I would suggest you try the 7 seater with your own child seats. I did that for myself and it worked perfectly. I have 3 children (6, 3 and 6 months old) and I can fit 1 rear facing seat cat 1, 1 child boost with high back cat 2 and 1 booster. The booster fits in the 6/7 th seat.

So by any means, give it a go so you can rest assured it works for you.

Regards
Old 09-04-2019, 07:00 AM

W205 C300
Originally Posted by jsa1983
Well, in any case I would suggest you try the 7 seater with your own child seats. I did that for myself and it worked perfectly. I have 3 children (6, 3 and 6 months old) and I can fit 1 rear facing seat cat 1, 1 child boost with high back cat 2 and 1 booster. The booster fits in the 6/7 th seat.

So by any means, give it a go so you can rest assured it works for you.

Regards
Thanks JSA1983. I have come to the conclusion I need to find one to test. Your children (apart from 6 month old) are the same ages, and in the same stages as I would need. Here in Quebec they just passed laws for the children to be in some form of booster etc till 9. Either way my kids safety is the most important aspect.

Alternatively if I can't find a demo to try locally , it may mean a change of a car seat or two, which in the grand scheme is not undoable. Was able to get three across in my wife's HRV. So I'm sure I could do it in the gle.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:43 PM

I forgot that when I tried the GLE back in May I took some pictures of it all installed. I’m posting them. I hope they help.

Regards

The following users liked this post:
gearFX (09-06-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 04:47 PM

Both seats are quite big (probably some of the biggest in the market) and use isofix. I also forgot to mention that the last picture is with the back seats in the most ahead position (i.e. the closest possible to the front seat). I am 1,73m tall (5’9”) and with the front seat adjusted to my like you can see that the child seat does not touch the driver’s seat.
With the bright red seat installed I was able to tilt the seat and allow access to third row with no problem. Sadly I didn’t take pic...

Last edited by jsa1983; 09-04-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:51 PM

W205 C300
Originally Posted by jsa1983
I forgot that when I tried the GLE back in May I took some pictures of it all installed. I’m posting them. I hope they help.

Regards

Thanks for the photos. Gives good insight / view into the back. Those European car seats are even bigger / bulkier then the North American ones I have, especially the rear facing one. Never seen one with a stand to the floor like that. You have been very helpful.

I was able to do some calling around today and found a dealer which has one with a third row, going to go do a trial install of the seats and see how it goes.

Thanks to everyone and will try and get a couple photos / videos to post in case others have similar questions.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ostheimer:
jsa1983 (09-04-2019), Michael Bart (09-07-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 04:56 PM

Glad I helped. If your seats are smaller, then I’m quite sure your setup will fit.
In my case it was down to either GLE with 7 seats or a V class. I rented one V class last summer and they ride really well, but I’m not too much into that type of car especially given that the GLE works for me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Third Row - Photos with car seats in second row