GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Major Repair for 2020 GLE350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 07:39 AM
Banned

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
A
I hope that dealership gets audited by MB, what a bunch of incompetent tools. Who knows how many unsafe "repairs" they did in the past.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:12 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450
Originally Posted by RamAir50
Yet another update...

They returned our car yesterday (Monday). All clean. Finally. Wait for it.....

We get it home and the wife notices something else broken. Seems like each time they work on our car we discover something else when we get it back. The trim around the map lights is broken now.

I called the service manager...again. He was speechless. They are going to have to come get the car again.

We're laughing now (the Joker from Batman style laughing). Anger has now been replaced with disbelief.

I called MB USA last night. The CS rep was very helpful and apologetic. We've been escalated to the Executive Referral Management Division. Someone will call within 24 hours. Will update later.

what a bunch incompetent guys... oh my!
Old 10-22-2019, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE350
Yet another update...
.I called MB USA last night. The CS rep was very helpful and apologetic. We've been escalated to the Executive Referral Management Division. Someone will call within 24 hours. Will update later.
Suggestion - start posting this on twitter and tag the heck out of (at)MercedesBenz and (at)MercedesBenzUSA along with photos.. Lots and Lots of photos from each time the dealership screws up. Their social media people will respond very quickly. They don't want the bad press on twitter..
Old 10-22-2019, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,492 Likes on 985 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by dwpfister
Suggestion - start posting this on twitter and tag the heck out of (at)MercedesBenz and (at)MercedesBenzUSA along with photos.. Lots and Lots of photos from each time the dealership screws up. Their social media people will respond very quickly. They don't want the bad press on twitter..
100%. Get it out there.

This is absolute incompetence. I expect that MBUSA will eventually do the right thing as they usually do but at great expense. You can't get back what was lost in time and energy. Heck, I'd push for a new car at this point. Not sure that car will ever be "new" again. Every time something goes wrong the question will arise as to whether is stemmed from this dealers doing.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:04 PM

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
2020 GLE
Originally Posted by places
100%. Get it out there.

This is absolute incompetence. I expect that MBUSA will eventually do the right thing as they usually do but at great expense. You can't get back what was lost in time and energy. Heck, I'd push for a new car at this point. Not sure that car will ever be "new" again. Every time something goes wrong the question will arise as to whether is stemmed from this dealers doing.
And these are the issues that you CAN see. Imagine what’s underneath that can’t be observed.
The following 2 users liked this post by tinman831:
bad habit (10-22-2019), DMRDSM (02-06-2020)
Old 11-02-2019, 07:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2020 GLE 350 w/ AMG Exterior V167
Final update.

Well, after 36 days and numerous returns to this dealer, the repairs to our GLE appear to be complete. Only time will tell. What a fiasco!

To be honest, we are not impressed at all with how MB USA is handling our complaint. Our case has been elevated to the Executive Referral Management Group within MB USA Customer Service. I received a phone call from Eric, the ERMG rep while in a meeting on Monday October 21. He left a voicemail. I returned the call that same afternoon and had to leave a message on his voicemail. No call back. On Tuesday, after no call back, I left another message on his voicemail. Again, no call back. On Wednesday, after no call back, I left a third message. On Thursday, I had to leave another message. He called back around 5pm Thursday.

After explaining the ordeal to Eric (25 minute phone call) he recognized the apparent problems with this dealership's service department. He informed me that he would contact the service manager and the general manager about the concerns and would get back to me the following Monday (the 28th). It's Saturday, November 2 and I have not heard from Eric nor have I been able to reach him. Several voicemail messages have been left.

We will be composing a detailed letter/email and will be sending it out to MB USA and whoever else we feel would appreciate the information. Included in the letter/email will be our review of MB USA's Executive Referral Management and their lack of interest.

We are planning on complaining to the BBB on the dealer and MB USA (not that it will make much difference). We will leave unfavorable reviews on Google and wherever else we feel it will benefit others who read reviews prior to visiting a business.

Before I divulge the dealer's name, I want to add that after the numerous returns our GLE has made back and forth between the dealer and our home over the last 36 days, not once has the service manager or any other members of the service department or dealership contacted us to check on the vehicle's condition. Maybe I'm expecting ok much, but we've had better correspondence from Hyundai and Kia service departments.

MB of Virginia Beach aka Charles Barker Mercedes.
The following 2 users liked this post by RamAir50:
bad habit (11-02-2019), DMRDSM (02-06-2020)
Old 11-02-2019, 09:05 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE 450 / E450 Cabriolet
Don't forget to post a review on Yelp. Looks like you have some company there. Unfortunately!
Old 11-02-2019, 09:55 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Bmw M4, BMW X5, Audi S3
That's absolutely horrible MBUSA would not do a damn thing to make this situation right for you to this point. I know there are plenty of shady dealerships and service departments but MB corporate should rectify this matter and step in right away. I would consult with legal counsel and see if this qualifies under the lemon law and move on to another vehicle.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
What's your lemon law?
Our lemon law covers safety related issues when the same repair has been made more than 3 times.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,186 Likes on 853 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Lemon law

Our lemon law covers safety related issues when the same repair has been made more than 3 times.
There is usually a "time in shop" regardless of issue clause; for us it's 30 days,
Old 11-02-2019, 10:24 PM

F
Wow, speechless.

I came to this forum tonight because I was seriously considering the purchase of a 2020 GLE 350 over a Lexus RX 350. This thread stopped me dead in my tracks. Were it not for the pictures I wouldn’t believe it. MB just lost a customer. I can’t imagine anyone would consider moving forward with a MB after viewing this thread. I feel for you and I hope this works out. My advice - get your states attorney general involved, dealerships usually don’t want the AG poking around in their business. At the least, MB owes you a no charge bumper to bumper extended warranty to protect you against the inevitable trouble that will occur from such a disassembly over the remaining life of the car.

Last edited by Jrt3; 11-02-2019 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 11-02-2019, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jrt3
I came to this forum tonight because I was seriously considering the purchase of a 2020 GLE 350 over a Lexus RX 350. This thread stopped me dead in my tracks. We’re it not for the pictures I wouldn’t believe it. MB just lost a customer. I can’t imagine anyone would consider moving forward with a MB after viewing this thread. I feel for you and I hope this works out. My advice - get your states attorney general involved, dealerships usually don’t want the AG poking around in their business. At the least, MB owes you a no charge bumper to bumper extended warranty to protect you against the inevitable trouble that will occur from such a disassembly over the remaining life of the car.
This kind of service from an M-B dealer is an outlier. I don’t understand how one incident changes your mind. My dealer is excellent. I’m Sure Lexus has good dealers as well. Go with the vehicle that best suits you.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Jrt3
I came to this forum tonight because I was seriously considering the purchase of a 2020 GLE 350 over a Lexus RX 350. This thread stopped me dead in my tracks. We’re it not for the pictures I wouldn’t believe it. MB just lost a customer. I can’t imagine anyone would consider moving forward with a MB after viewing this thread. I feel for you and I hope this works out. My advice - get your states attorney general involved, dealerships usually don’t want the AG poking around in their business. At the least, MB owes you a no charge bumper to bumper extended warranty to protect you against the inevitable trouble that will occur from such a disassembly over the remaining life of the car.
You may be making a mistake. I came from an RX350 5 years ago and would never go back. Lexus has had numerous issues with the first 2 years of the new Gen and maybe longer since I quit following the Forum. They refused to fix a steering column that was noted in a TSB for repair because my dealer couldn’t make the connection until warranty was out. I couldn’t believe it so spent a month escalating it to Corporate. I had numerous issues with my Tundra truck before that. I moved on. Toyota Motors gets good quality ratings but they make few changes during a cycle until refresh unless safety is involved. The detail of features is more complex on Mercedes, they aren’t in the same class by a long shot. Business is business in the Automotive industry. New Gen problems are across the board and not all dealers are equal!
The following users liked this post:
tiri (11-04-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Originally Posted by Ron.s
You may be making a mistake. I came from an RX350 5 years ago and would never go back. Lexus has had numerous issues with the first 2 years of the new Gen and maybe longer since I quit following the Forum. They refused to fix a steering column that was noted in a TSB for repair because my dealer couldn’t make the connection until warranty was out. I couldn’t believe it so spent a month escalating it to Corporate. I had numerous issues with my Tundra truck before that. I moved on. Toyota Motors gets good quality ratings but they make few changes during a cycle until refresh unless safety is involved. The detail of features is more complex on Mercedes, they aren’t in the same class by a long shot. Business is business in the Automotive industry. New Gen problems are across the board and not all dealers are equal!
Spot on Ron, just check the BMW X5 G05 forum if you think the GLE is bad.
bad habit (11-03-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 08:25 AM

The hits keep coming.

We now have water under the rear deck lid where the spare tire is stored. The felt carpeting is soaked. It's leaking somewhere around the rear hatch seal. They are picking it up yet again! Unbelievable.

The MB USA Executive Referral Manager advised we have to come to an agreement with the dealership as this is not a MB USA issue it's a dealer issue. I stated that MB USA absolutely should get involved and asked him if the dealership was a representative of MB USA why they would not assist me. His response was "they are independently owned and not directly affiliated with MB USA" (his exact words).

It's like we're in the twilight zone. I have never in all my car owning years experienced anything like this. The lack of support and interest from the manufacturer is absolutely mind blowing.

We are currently exploring our legal options.

Last edited by RamAir50; 11-16-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Very sorry to hear all this, one can only imagine the strain this is all causing. I would definitely seek legal advise and pursue aggressively. This is beyond working through it. The vehicle is likely damaged from all the work in places you may not even know about. Shame on MBUSA for taking the low road on this, can this be elevated?
audi40 (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by places
Very sorry to hear all this, one can only imagine the strain this is all causing. I would definitely seek legal advise and pursue aggressively. This is beyond working through it. The vehicle is likely damaged from all the work in places you may not even know about. Shame on MBUSA for taking the low road on this, can this be elevated?
Unfortunately I am being told by MB USA Customer Service that the Executive Referral Management is the highest I will be elevated to. MB USA Customer Service won't even talk to me now because I have a case with the ERM. What's extremely frustrating now is that after weeks of leaving messages I can't even get the ERM to return my calls. So I'm stuck. I'm guessing they are waiting to see how far I plan on taking this. I have a feeling that when our attorney reaches out to the ERM someone will return our calls. There is no way in HELL that I will purchase another Mercedes after this fiasco! I never thought that a company would go to such lengths to avoid correcting a problem with one of their vehicles.
sears1234 (11-21-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 08:02 PM
Banned

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
A
It might sound odd but your business is with the dealership unfortunately, not with MB. Remember, MB sells the vehicle to the dealership and you in turn purchase it from them.
Having said that, you have a line with MB in regards to how the dealership isn't performing their responsibility, while carrying the brand name, and acting on behalf of.
How is this vehicle financed by the way? You might be able to drag the financing entity into this as money are being paid while product and service isn't delivered.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Poor dealer service

Unfortunately I am being told by MB USA Customer Service that the Executive Referral Management is the highest I will be elevated to. MB USA Customer Service won't even talk to me now because I have a case with the ERM. What's extremely frustrating now is that after weeks of leaving messages I can't even get the ERM to return my calls. So I'm stuck. I'm guessing they are waiting to see how far I plan on taking this. I have a feeling that when our attorney reaches out to the ERM someone will return our calls. There is no way in HELL that I will purchase another Mercedes after this fiasco! I never thought that a company would go to such lengths to avoid correcting a problem with one of their vehicles.
What was your resolution, if any, on all your issues with the dealership?
Old 02-06-2020, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
What was your resolution, if any, on all your issues with the dealership?
I had just about given up on MBUSA and had just about written off any further correspondence from them or the dealer when the service manager contacted me out of the blue about a month ago.

He wanted to extend a MB suggested 3 year service contract free of charge. The service contract could be used at any MB dealer. We accepted the offer. The service manager also assured us that he would personally be involved in any future service visits.

Well.... here it comes.... wait for it...

A few weeks ago I discovered the plastic trim covering the rear hatch had began to pull away from the door near the upper part of the glass (I’m guessing from the previous repair). I contacted the service manager and made the appointment to have it looked at.

I drove the hour+ to have it repaired. I pointed out the issue to the service writer (the manager was not there). They provided us a loaner to drive for the day. We were contacted several hours later and informed our GLE was ready.

Upon our return I was told the clips that hold the trim in place were replaced. I walked out and lifted the hatch only to find they had not repaired it. The gap between the plastic and door was still there. I returned to service writers desk. He walked out with me and was dismayed when I pointed out the area. He called the mechanic out who performed the repair. The mechanic said he had repaired the lower section clips (which fit just fine before). They had to take the GLE back into the bay to repair the correct area.

We are officially done with this dealer.

GregW / Oregon (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 12:52 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Past 03 SL500,03 C240, 07 E350, 07 ML350, 10 ML350,11&14 E350 X2 2017 E300, 2017 C350e & 2000 S500
sounds like my 2017 e300, it was in service 17 different times. Ance your car gets molested there is no going back. its scared for life. Hope it all works out
Old 02-07-2020, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

At this point trading the vehicle in is probably the best solution. Basically cut bait if you can. Try and leverage your situation into a generous deal on another vehicle and get the hell out of there. This sounds like a bad dealership.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:05 PM

2018 E400 Cabrio/2020 BMW X5 40i
I had just about given up on MBUSA and had just about written off any further correspondence from them or the dealer when the service manager contacted me out of the blue about a month ago.

He wanted to extend a MB suggested 3 year service contract free of charge. The service contract could be used at any MB dealer. We accepted the offer. The service manager also assured us that he would personally be involved in any future service visits.

Well.... here it comes.... wait for it...

A few weeks ago I discovered the plastic trim covering the rear hatch had began to pull away from the door near the upper part of the glass (I’m guessing from the previous repair). I contacted the service manager and made the appointment to have it looked at.

I drove the hour+ to have it repaired. I pointed out the issue to the service writer (the manager was not there). They provided us a loaner to drive for the day. We were contacted several hours later and informed our GLE was ready.

Upon our return I was told the clips that hold the trim in place were replaced. I walked out and lifted the hatch only to find they had not repaired it. The gap between the plastic and door was still there. I returned to service writers desk. He walked out with me and was dismayed when I pointed out the area. He called the mechanic out who performed the repair. The mechanic said he had repaired the lower section clips (which fit just fine before). They had to take the GLE back into the bay to repair the correct area.

We are officially done with this dealer.
Hi, first post but I’ve been watching your thread for a while now. Honestly, I really think you should find a way for the car to be returned or either take a loss on it and sell the car, and either buy/lease a new GLE or look elsewhere. It seems that the car is going to be nothing but trouble here on out and that the damage has already been done from the original repair, not to mention the whole interior refurbishment will likely cause future rattles/noises in the vehicle, and will not wear as well over time. Add to the fact that you have to drive 90+ minutes to the dealer, I honestly don’t know how you do it, if it were me, I’d full on go crazy from this situation. I hope it all works out in the end, good luck!
Old 02-07-2020, 03:27 PM

We're gonna drive it until April (1 year anniversary) then attempt to unload it. Either trade it in or sell it outright to someone. Probably won't be buying another MB. The new Genesis GV80 looks very nice. We've owned many Hyundai vehicles with zero issues. The Genesis is probably the vehicle we'll get. The way MB USA has handled this debacle is a window into how little they care about their customers.

Fortunately, they have plenty of competition.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
We're gonna drive it until April (1 year anniversary) then attempt to unload it. Either trade it in or sell it outright to someone. Probably won't be buying another MB. The new Genesis GV80 looks very nice. We've owned many Hyundai vehicles with zero issues. The Genesis is probably the vehicle we'll get. The way MB USA has handled this debacle is a window into how little they care about their customers.
Fortunately, they have plenty of competition.
You have been very patient, good luck. What should have been a simple repair has escalated into a total disaster. It’s hard to believe that any Mercedes Dealer is that incompetent and lacks any semblance of quality control.
You might take it slow getting another new intro. All Brands use outsourced parts and are subject to quality control issues. Mercedes, BMW and Audi all had them with their redesigns last year. The Lexus RX redesign was no different in 2016, maybe less serious issues but lots of unhappy buyers. If we were smart we would follow the lead of more patient people and wait before getting a totally redesigned vehicle.🤬

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Major Repair for 2020 GLE350