Key Fob Fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Key Fob Fix

I reported previously on my issues with my Key Fobs for the last 6 months.
After several months, Fob reprogramming and 4 Fobs there has been no improvement in mine. The doors fail to lock by touch most of the time. I know others have reported similar issues.
Has anyone with this problem found a solution with new Fobs or any other solution?
Old 11-10-2019, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,191 Likes on 858 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Keyless-Go

Originally Posted by Ron.s
I reported previously on my issues with my Key Fobs for the last 6 months.
After several months, Fob reprogramming and 4 Fobs there has been no improvement in mine. The doors fail to lock by touch most of the time. I know others have reported similar issues.
Has anyone with this problem found a solution with new Fobs or any other solution?
Have they investigated the receiving antennas? Virtually no issues with ours.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:47 PM

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts
2020 GLE 450 AMG exterior
I've only had mine a few days, but no issues to report so far. I think your instinct that it's not the FOBs must be correct. Seems unlikely that the same problem could keep presenting itself across multiple new fobs. Must be something with the truck.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:35 AM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
16 GL550
i do notice the same problem, and yes every time if i shake or move the fob quickly a bit, it works. no idea why
Old 11-11-2019, 04:15 AM

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts
GLE450 with Prem Plus Pk. Tech Plus PK.Driver assistance Pk.Hyacinth Red.22inch Alloys.
That sounds as though the problem is not really a problem but the FOB hasving an inbuilt motion sensor which shuts down transmission of signal after a few minutes of inactivity coming back to life only after movement recommences.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:12 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
GLC63S
I have a similar problem with some of my fobs. most of the time it’s because I have my iPhone in the same pocket in front of the fob.

Make sure your hand doesn’t go behind the door handle because that will also do it? Does it only happen on drivers door maybe a faulty sensor in that handle try using another handle when it happens.

Do you have this issue in a particular place? I also had an issue with an aftermarket alarm fob that would never work outside my stereo shop because of some weird frequency disturbance, but had no issue anywhere else. (Must have had spy satellites transmitting because it was so bizarre?)

Last edited by Henry Stark; 11-11-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
It is a known issue with the fobs, they are going to sleep and not awakening as they should..
Old 11-11-2019, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
The newer Mercedes Key Fobs have a built in sleep mode to stop the thefts from equipment that picks up the fob signal in your home and magnifies it to an accomplice at your parked vehicle. By putting it in sleep mode there is no signal to detect. The problem with mine may be that they go to sleep prematurely, but 4 bad Fobs you have to wonder. I went over a lot of this in an old thread....Key Fob Fable. My replacement Fobs and reprogramming the Fob didn’t work. https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...fob-fable.html
‘That’s why I’m wondering if anyone with a similar issue has had their dealer fix the issue. By now Mercedes should have this figured out. In a few weeks I’m going in for 10K Service and will ask that they try a third time. Three times my Fob has failed even using the buttons. I’ve suggested an NFC issue like a bad sensor or antenna-get a blank stare. While it’s relatively minor after almost 7 months it’s getting very annoying!
Old 11-11-2019, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
My dealer didn't know the new fobs had sleep mode, when I said that was what I thought was happening he said that the fobs didn't have sleep mode. He phoned me later to say one of the technicians had been on a course and was told they were trialling sleep mode on the new GLE fobs. It is obvious that they haven't got the re-wake sensitive enough and they are not awakening correctly. I always double press the close button to stop the key transmitting a signal, because I do this I have to press any button before opening the car, I never have trouble opening it. The issue I sometimes have is when I get out of the car it won't lock without me jiggling the key in my pocket, it always locks after this. The action of leaving the car should be enough for the key to automatically re-awaken but it isn't sensitive enough to recognise this. My bet is that they will get it right and the fobs will either be re-programmed or replaced.