GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Blacked Out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 11:27 PM

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts
2020 GLE 450 AMG exterior
Blacked Out

I got the Night Package on my 450, but it's not as blacked out as I'd like it to be. I'm considering a 30 percent tint (which I believe is the max allowed in my state) on the front seat side windows and maybe a rear badge delete. My question is whether anyone here has removed the rear badges and, if so, can you post a photo so we can see what it looks like? I'd probably want to leave the star, but remove the GLE 450 and 4Matic badges.

Also, if anyone has tinted their front windows, did you do it at an MB dealership? How much did it cost you? I don't know what I don't know about tinting, so any insights are appreciated.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:39 PM

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
2020 GLE
Originally Posted by bigpern23
I got the Night Package on my 450, but it's not as blacked out as I'd like it to be. I'm considering a 30 percent tint (which I believe is the max allowed in my state) on the front seat side windows and maybe a rear badge delete. My question is whether anyone here has removed the rear badges and, if so, can you post a photo so we can see what it looks like? I'd probably want to leave the star, but remove the GLE 450 and 4Matic badges.

Also, if anyone has tinted their front windows, did you do it at an MB dealership? How much did it cost you? I don't know what I don't know about tinting, so any insights are appreciated.
Your local MB dealership probably contracts most of their tint work with a shop near by. Your best bet is to look on yelp or find the best shop through word of mouth. To do the full interior will probably run 500 or so for the full interior. It’s very much dependent upon how many windows you want to do and the quality of the material.

I don’t think anyone here has debadged their suv yet. I plan on removing everything but the star and painting that black. It should look pretty clean.
The following users liked this post:
bigpern23 (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by tinman831
Your local MB dealership probably contracts most of their tint work with a shop near by. Your best bet is to look on yelp or find the best shop through word of mouth. To do the full interior will probably run 500 or so for the full interior. It’s very much dependent upon how many windows you want to do and the quality of the material.

I don’t think anyone here has debadged their suv yet. I plan on removing everything but the star and painting that black. It should look pretty clean.
That's good to know. I know a good body shop that can do it, but I wasn't sure if an MB dealership would be better. If they're just contracting it out, I'll go to my guy instead.

I would just be doing the two front seat side windows. The rear glass is pretty dark as it is. When you mention the quality of the material, is there a specific material I should be looking for? I don't want to mess around with any subpar materials that will bubble up.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:39 AM

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
I was new to this until very recently. I got my car wrapped + ceramic coated (exterior + interior) + front windows tinted. Since you're also in New England, might be relevant to tell you that I did it at www.qcarcare.com and Ben (the owner) was excellent to work with. He recommended the max window tint legal in MA, but because I go to Montreal a lot I ended up getting half of that to be legal in Quebec (looked online and it seems the police there don't care much if your car is registered elsewhere, they apply local law).

Anyway, I'm not an expert but it seems Xpel is one of the top brands in general, and we used Xpel Prime XR Plus which seems to be their best offering. See https://www.xpel.com/shop/window-fil...ve-window-tint and also https://www.xpel.com/web-assets/down...t-USA-V2-1.pdf. I ended up with the least tinted option which is XR Plus 70, whereas for MA I think he suggested XR Plus 35. The 70 doesn't look very tinted at all from the outside (it lets through almost 70% of visible light after all), but there is a little bit of a visual difference from the inside (not to mention the other benefits of tinting) if I compare with the windshield. I think it cost me $300 if I remember, but I got a whole bunch of stuff done so not sure.

I'm sure Ben can advise about debadging, he spent 45 minutes with a heat gun to gently remove my load sill protector to apply the wrap along the bumper without seams, and then re-applied the sill protector. He can also black out chrome sections as he did with the top half of my door handles.

Last edited by maalox; 11-19-2019 at 12:57 AM.
bigpern23 (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by maalox
I was new to this until very recently. I got my car wrapped + ceramic coated (exterior + interior) + front windows tinted. Since you're also in New England, might be relevant to tell you that I did it at www.qcarcare.com and Ben (the owner) was excellent to work with. He recommended the max window tint legal in MA, but because I go to Montreal a lot I ended up getting half of that to be legal in Quebec (looked online and it seems the police there don't care much if your car is registered elsewhere, they apply local law).

Anyway, I'm not an expert but it seems Xpel is one of the top brands in general, and we used Xpel Prime XR Plus which seems to be their best offering. See https://www.xpel.com/shop/window-fil...ve-window-tint and also https://www.xpel.com/web-assets/down...t-USA-V2-1.pdf. I ended up with the least tinted option which is XR Plus 70, whereas for MA I think he suggested XR Plus 35. The 70 doesn't look very tinted at all from the outside (it lets through almost 70% of visible light after all), but there is a little bit of a visual difference from the inside (not to mention the other benefits of tinting) if I compare with the windshield. I think it cost me $300 if I remember, but I got a whole bunch of stuff done so not sure.

I'm sure Ben can advise about debadging, he spent 45 minutes with a heat gun to gently remove my load sill protector to apply the wrap along the bumper without seams, and then re-applied the sill protector. He can also black out chrome sections as he did with the top half of my door handles.
Awesome info, thank you. I would love to see photos.

I thought there would be more of a visible difference with a 30 percent tint. It might not be worth it if that’s the case. I’d like to keep it legal.

My wife loves the idea of a matte black wrap, but I’m not sure about wrapping it.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:22 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2020 GLE350 4Matic

Not sure where you are in New England - I'm in Boston, so MA legal tint is 35%. I took my GLE to a well-regarded shop in East Boston. Our windows already have a slight tint from the factory, and so the shop applied a tint that would get me as close to 35% and try to color match the rears (albeit not as dark). Wasn't too expensive.

I have considered a rear badge delete as well - just haven't seen any any pics yet. Interested to see how that turns out.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:58 AM

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 GLE 450
I elected to have my dealer remove the rear badges (GLE 450 and 4 Matic), I prefer the sleeker cleaner look??

The following 2 users liked this post by wamplee:
killagram (02-25-2020), NewShockerGuy (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,178 Likes on 847 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Mods

Debadging is easy to do yourself. A heat gun, a little fishing line and GoofOff to clean up. I haven't debadged this one, but this was my last ML:

Old 11-19-2019, 12:36 PM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Arrow

Originally Posted by wamplee
I elected to have my dealer remove the rear badges (GLE 450 and 4 Matic), I prefer the sleeker cleaner look??

Looks soooooooo much nicer debadged!! Love it. I did the same to our w211 and every car I've owned. Makes detailing easier as well. Plus I don't need to broadcast what I have to other people, I know what I have..lol

-Nigel
Old 11-19-2019, 04:03 PM
Banned

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
A
I've always debadged all my cars prior to this and still haven't decided whether I want to do the GLE, I would delete all badges in the rear and get a black front badge if I go forward with the process
Old 11-19-2019, 05:08 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
GLC63S
Awesome info, thank you. I would love to see photos.

I thought there would be more of a visible difference with a 30 percent tint. It might not be worth it if that’s the case. I’d like to keep it legal.

My wife loves the idea of a matte black wrap, but I’m not sure about wrapping it.

Let us know if you do the chrome strip above the license plate. Not sure why this wouldn’t be included in the night package?
Old 11-19-2019, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Henry Stark
Let us know if you do the chrome strip above the license plate. Not sure why this wouldn’t be included in the night package?
Yeah, I thought that was odd that it isn't blacked out, too.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:12 AM
D3S

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 GLE 450
I had the same thought when I picked up my GLE last week. I've done most of what you're contemplating -- I tinted the front (sides 20%, windshield 50%), debadged other than the star, and vinyl wrapped the chrome trim gloss black (I also wrapped my spoiler, not sure that applies for you). I like the way it looks on mine a lot, but then again mine is white and so it adds more contrast versus going for a true "black out." I'm also considering tinting the rear tailights a bit, but that's super illegal and I'm already pushing it with no front plate / the front tints.

I had the same shop do the tints and wrap cost me $200 combined for both. I did the badge delete myself with a heat gun and floss and goo gone. Badge delete is an easy DIY IMO, but if you don't have a heat gun I bet tint or detail shop would do it for you for free if you use their other services -- it literally takes less than 5 minutes.

I haven't had time to take great pictures yet, but here are a few from my phone for reference. Forgive the cheesing next to my buddy's lambo :P

Last edited by D3S; 11-20-2019 at 10:23 AM.
sibs1 (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 10:16 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
GLC63S
Originally Posted by D3S
I had the same thought when I picked up my GLE last week. I've done most of what you're contemplating -- I tinted the front (sides 20%, windshield 50%), debadged other than the star, and vinyl wrapped the chrome trim gloss black (I also wrapped my spoiler, not sure that applies for you). I like the way it looks on mine a lot, but then again mine is white and so it adds more contrast versus going for a true "black out." I'm also considering tinting the rear tailights a bit, but that's super illegal and I'm already pushing it with no front plate / the front tints.

I haven't had time to take great pictures yet, but here are a few from my phone for reference. Forgive the cheesing next to my buddy's lambo :P

Did you have to remove the chrome above the license plate or were you able to wrap it on the car? If so was it difficult to remove?
The following 2 users liked this post by Henry Stark:
galret (12-22-2019), sibs1 (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 10:38 AM
D3S

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 GLE 450
The chrome trim above the license plate did not need to be removed. Wrapped in place. Same with the spoiler.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:12 PM
Banned

A
Looks good to me
Old 11-20-2019, 12:31 PM

Very sharp. And I'm oh so jealous of the Urus.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:21 PM
Banned

A
Anyone know if the trunk emblem is glued on? I blacked it out with Plastidip but it looks cheap. Looking to get a glossy black replacement emblem but not sure how it can be attached?
Old 12-02-2019, 03:59 PM

2020 GLE
Originally Posted by bad habit
Anyone know if the trunk emblem is glued on? I blacked it out with Plastidip but it looks cheap. Looking to get a glossy black replacement emblem but not sure how it can be attached?
I believe its a combination of tape and 3 prongs. The replacement should have double sided tape and the prongs slide right into the holes in the trunk. This was how it was done with a couple of my last Mercs.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:28 PM
Banned

A
I believe its a combination of tape and 3 prongs. The replacement should have double sided tape and the prongs slide right into the holes in the trunk. This was how it was done with a couple of my last Mercs.
I think you are right, because on prior year model it does have 3 prongs. Do you just pull it up to remove after tape is flossed?
Old 12-02-2019, 04:34 PM

2020 GLE
Originally Posted by bad habit
I think you are right, because on prior year model it does have 3 prongs. Do you just pull it up to remove after tape is flossed?
The three prongs of the emblem are held onto the trunk by three sleeves that are inside the holes. The prongs kinda snap into place. Some have had success pulling the emblem straight out while others recommend removing the trunk liners and pushing the emblem out. The concern is breaking the emblem. If you're replacing the emblem, just give it a yank and see what happens.
bad habit (12-02-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 06:25 PM

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 GLE 450 AMG pack
Couldn't stand all the chrome even with the AMG night package so:
Blacked out rear badging
Tinted tail lights
Blacked out tail pipes
Blacked out door handles

The following 4 users liked this post by EINSER_M:
bad habit (12-22-2019), Henry Stark (12-19-2019), killagram (02-25-2020), turko (12-20-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 06:52 PM

2020 GLE
Originally Posted by EINSER_M
Couldn't stand all the chrome even with the AMG night package so:
Blacked out rear badging
Tinted tail lights
Blacked out tail pipes
Blacked out door handles

Is that paint, wrap, or replacement badges? Looks good!
bigpern23 (12-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 07:02 PM

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 GLE 450 AMG pack
Is that paint, wrap, or replacement badges? Looks good!
The shop used PPF for tinting the tail lights, and used gloss black plasti dip for the badges and exhaust tips.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:33 PM
Banned

A
Getting a new custom grille, also completely black. Anyone have an idea of whether the front bumper needs to be dropped to replace the grille?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blacked Out