GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Tool kit question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2020 | 11:31 AM

20 GLE450, 16 C450, 15 GLK350
Tool kit question

I have winter tires on rims from tirerack, which came with regular 17mm hexagon lug bolts, It just occurred to me that I won't be able to remove the winter lug bolts using the lug wrench in the toolkit. So I guess I need to order a lug wrench.

Also, are there special lug bolts for use with the spare tire, or do I need to keep 5 of the original Mercedes lug bolts from my original wheels?

My vehicle is a 450 that came with the 21" multispoke rims.
Old 02-21-2020 | 07:11 PM

GLC63S
Originally Posted by tommyr
I have winter tires on rims from tirerack, which came with regular 17mm hexagon lug bolts, It just occurred to me that I won't be able to remove the winter lug bolts using the lug wrench in the toolkit. So I guess I need to order a lug wrench.

Also, are there special lug bolts for use with the spare tire, or do I need to keep 5 of the original Mercedes lug bolts from my original wheels?

My vehicle is a 450 that came with the 21" multispoke rims.

Usually Tirerack includes an adapter with the lugs to fit your lug wrench if yours even came equipped with one depending if you have 3rd row. I ended up buying a Gorilla Automotive 1734DS off of Amazon. I also had to buy the jack kit from mb because min came with tire fit bs.

Old 02-21-2020 | 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Henry Stark
Usually Tirerack includes an adapter with the lugs to fit your lug wrench if yours even came equipped with one depending if you have 3rd row. I ended up buying a Gorilla Automotive 1734DS off of Amazon. I also had to buy the jack kit from mb because min came with tire fit bs.
I just went through the toolkit and found that it includes special lug bolts for the spare (they look like standard 17mm hex), and the lug wrench is hex as well. I test fitted the wrench and it does work with the Mercedes flower lug bolts.

I went with Henry's suggested lug wrench, it looks to offer better leverage. So I guess I was ok running with the tirerack winter setup, but I'm glad I double checked.
Old 02-21-2020 | 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Lug wrenches

Originally Posted by tommyr
I just went through the toolkit and found that it includes special lug bolts for the spare (they look like standard 17mm hex), and the lug wrench is hex as well. I test fitted the wrench and it does work with the Mercedes flower lug bolts.

I went with Henry's suggested lug wrench, it looks to offer better leverage. So I guess I was ok running with the tirerack winter setup, but I'm glad I double checked.
Don't use the hex wrench on the "flower head" bolts. The thin cap will deform with just a few uses.

Flower head socket: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post7976122
Old 02-24-2020 | 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Don't use the hex wrench on the "flower head" bolts. The thin cap will deform with just a few uses.

Flower head socket: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post7976122
Understood, thanks Greg. I find it odd that the Mercedes supplied lug wrench is hex vs flower. Perhaps they assumed most operators won't be using it??