GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Negotiating Curiosity

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2020 | 06:15 AM

GLE580
I went to my local dealer and they would not budge off 5% on a 580. However, another dealer offered 10% off MSRP, we choose the 2nd dealer of course. The 2nd dealer offered a lower MF too, although it was not the buy MF from MB Financial. In addition, Edmunds has an excellent lease forum. They have threads separated by year, make, and model. Upon request the moderator will provide the MF, residual, and incentive by zip code. I learned very quickly incentives vary by region. PM if you would like dealer info.
Old 03-10-2020 | 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Apparently I am horrible at negotiating a 580. Most dealers have only offered 2% off before they added tax and their “fees” which of course is then far less 2% (Georgia, SC, NC). A few dealers have laughed at me and said they will not take anything off (Buckhead ATL). Others will not sell out of their region (Northeast). Some offered $1000 before fees and thought it was a deal. While others (South Charlotte) cannot even get their act together to give a price while others near the Gulf will not call me back. So I guess the one that offered 2.7% is a steal and has my business so far.
Anyone else got any input?
Old 03-10-2020 | 03:48 PM

2020 GLE 580
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
Apparently I am horrible at negotiating a 580. Most dealers have only offered 2% off before they added tax and their “fees” which of course is then far less 2% (Georgia, SC, NC). A few dealers have laughed at me and said they will not take anything off (Buckhead ATL). Others will not sell out of their region (Northeast). Some offered $1000 before fees and thought it was a deal. While others (South Charlotte) cannot even get their act together to give a price while others near the Gulf will not call me back. So I guess the one that offered 2.7% is a steal and has my business so far.
I received 2.3% MSRP off here in Boston, but my trade-in was valued higher with the dealer than thought it would. So with my math I received about 6.1% off the GLE 580. I'd rather have the deal this way, as I avoid some sales tax with the higher trade in value. I also had a $500 USAA discount applied, but I omitted that from my percentages.
Old 03-10-2020 | 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Buzzbomber
I received 2.3% MSRP off here in Boston, but my trade-in was valued higher with the dealer than thought it would. So with my math I received about 6.1% off the GLE 580. I'd rather have the deal this way, as I avoid some sales tax with the higher trade in value. I also had a $500 USAA discount applied, but I omitted that from my percentages.
Great! Was the 580 on the lot or did you order it?
I’ll try more NE dealers tomorrow. The 2 I’ve called will not sale out of their region.
Old 03-10-2020 | 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
lotta good info here.... don't think i saw anybody mention the old last day of the month trick.... wolfman touched on it a little.... after 2 weeks of going back and forth on a car on the lot, i showed up at 4pm on the last day.... best deal was made then... and agree on soft goods... when we got to an impasse, i brought up ext warranty, tire/wheel package, 4yrs maint.... key insurance... stuff that saves me X but only costs them Y... just make sure you know what all those soft goods cost before you bring them up so they can't markup those up on you during the heat of the deal

Old 03-10-2020 | 06:38 PM

2020 GLE 580
Great! Was the 580 on the lot or did you order it?
I’ll try more NE dealers tomorrow. The 2 I’ve called will not sale out of their region.
This was ordered. I was back and forth with the salesman for about 3 months and was in the dealership three times before I made the order in late Jan. I was able to configure an order the dealer had already in the system. I think they were tired of dealing with me as I was prepared to come back again if necessary to get some kind of discount. I get the 580 in April.
Old 03-10-2020 | 06:56 PM

2020 GLE 350
I recently got 2020 GLE 350 and I called many dealers in 250 miles radius and Max discount they were offering was 8-10% off MSRP. I am talking about GLE350, I know 580 you might not even get that. I tried the last day trick too, went on 02/29 and they won't budge. Gave me just $400 more on previously agreed price on the new one. I was also looking for a 8 months old CPO with 9K miles. I was able to get almost 24% off the MSRP along with extra warranty with CPO so I finally ended up buying that one
Old 03-10-2020 | 10:21 PM

We just took an allocation that we were still able to option out from our local dealer and I negotiated 10.5% off MSRP.

I am pleased to say the least.
Old 03-10-2020 | 10:43 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Not necessarily, it’s all about demand and timing. Your best bet to get a decent deal is to buy one off the lot, and purchase it on the last Saturday of the month. Many dealers (but not all) have monthly sales targets that they’re incentivized reach. If you can catch one on the last day of the month, where if they can sell you the vehicle they meet their sales target and earn the incentive, that will be your best chance to get a great deal—the sales manager will be incentivized to close the deal.

Last edited by TexAg91; 03-11-2020 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-11-2020 | 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I also think most are taking the % off before taxes, tags, admin/doc fees, or anything else is added in. I am taking it off at the end, the total. One dealer argued with me that he was giving me 4% off but when we added his insane dealer fees and he wanted me to pay his taxes, it was only about 1.8% off. And yes I have used the end of the month thing too before but when ordering car that’s doesn’t matter much because most don’t “get paid” until car till is delivered. As for buying off the lot, if I could find one that has most of the features I want than I would and yes, probably get a better deal. But I just don’t like not getting everything I want in a car at that price range so I understand that I might pay a little more for a highly desired car.
Old 03-12-2020 | 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
"taking the % off before taxes, tags, admin/doc fees, or anything else is added in"

YES - that's the way 100% of any car dealer's any brand do it unless it's a schlock deal

1. Dealer has choice on what price to charge you for the vehicle as compared to (MSRP + Manuf Delivery Charge) - and in their mind as compared to what they "really" paid for the vehicle

2. Sure - you can "try" to negotiate their "dealer handling fee" for the transaction - at best that fee's stays because it's part of their selling process/system - but a bit of #2 could come off #1 above as a small dollar concession

3. For a Dealer to discount your taxes/registration - then that can only happen again if that much more comes off #1 above - and if it can for #3 - then that means you're way not getting the right price in #1 above - and means you should shop horsesh*t Ford and Chevy and Nissan or whatever where "sales tax paid" stuff is at a #1 price too high that allows for taxes to come off

Old 03-12-2020 | 01:44 AM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
"taking the % off before taxes, tags, admin/doc fees, or anything else is added in"

YES - that's the way 100% of any car dealer's any brand do it unless it's a schlock deal

1. Dealer has choice on what price to charge you for the vehicle as compared to (MSRP + Manuf Delivery Charge) - and in their mind as compared to what they "really" paid for the vehicle

2. Sure - you can "try" to negotiate their "dealer handling fee" for the transaction - at best that fee's stays because it's part of their selling process/system - but a bit of #2 could come off #1 above as a small dollar concession

3. For a Dealer to discount your taxes/registration - then that can only happen again if that much more comes off #1 above - and if it can for #3 - then that means you're way not getting the right price in #1 above - and means you should shop horsesh*t Ford and Chevy and Nissan or whatever where "sales tax paid" stuff is at a #1 price too high that allows for taxes to come off
Never heard of anyone discounting registration/sales tax. That’s the cost of buying/leasing car an has nothing to do with the deal.
Old 03-12-2020 | 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I’m not saying that anyone is discounting the taxes or doc/admin fees. What I am saying is that I have been using the total (everything included) and the subtracting out whatever someone is giving me as discount and using that to figure out the discount.
Simple example: Car is 100,000 minus 2000 discount plus 800 doc fee, plus 200 taxes/tags and technically you only have $1000 off. So I see that as a 1% discount and not a 2%.
What I am saying is that I maybe doing my math different to get a % discount that is no where near what others are saying that they get.
Old 03-13-2020 | 12:01 AM

None
I’m not saying that anyone is discounting the taxes or doc/admin fees. What I am saying is that I have been using the total (everything included) and the subtracting out whatever someone is giving me as discount and using that to figure out the discount.
Simple example: Car is 100,000 minus 2000 discount plus 800 doc fee, plus 200 taxes/tags and technically you only have $1000 off. So I see that as a 1% discount and not a 2%.
What I am saying is that I maybe doing my math different to get a % discount that is no where near what others are saying that they get.
i'm confident to say that over 95% of the sample size that is throwing up the discounts in here are pre-taxes and doc fees, etc. so in essence if you're taking into account those, then yes, it's comparing to apples and oranges but we've been growing apples (pre-taxes and doc fees) on this subject.
Old 03-13-2020 | 11:02 AM

GLE-450
Discounts are like penises; only one way to find out.
Old 03-13-2020 | 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

I can't follow the logic.
If you would buy the car at $100k with zero discount, you will still have to pay fees/registration/sales tax. Taxes will also be higher based on sales price. In short, registration fees and taxes are a fixture of any car sale, no matter the price. You can't deduct them from a discount.
Now some dealers mark up the acquisition fees and that can be negotiated if needed but I find these peanuts in terms of Dollars. Easier to leave it be and get them to give you pre-paid maintenance or similar instead.

The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
BigBoy11 (03-13-2020), GregW / Oregon (03-14-2020)