GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Homelink losing rolling code

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 11:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2020 GLE350
Originally Posted by WalterParker
I've had my car less than 2 months and so far Homelink has forgotten the rolling code on my garage door twice. I have 2 doors programmed and the second door doesn't have the issue, only the door where I actually park the car.

Has anyone else had this issue with the 2020 GLE? I searched the forums and all I could come up with was some issues in 2010 with the e class.

2020 GLE here as well with the same issue. We got our SUV new in 2020.

I even replaced the bulb to those "Garage Door LEDs" (below) to no effect. It loses the programming after several days. I've given up and just bought a spare Chamberlain remote.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Garage-D...ulb/1000723576
Old 08-30-2022, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Steve Armstrong

I even replaced the bulb to those "Garage Door LEDs" (below) to no effect. It loses the programming after several days. I've given up and just bought a spare Chamberlain remote.

Call Chamberlain. They probably know your car and can probably give a solution.
Old 08-31-2022, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,312 Likes on 2,054 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

I recall our car forgetting one of the 3 garage doors constantly when we got it in 2020. Mentioned it to the SA and he told me there is a software update out for that (service bulletin?). That took care of the issue. Unfortunately can't find the invoice for details...
Old 09-01-2022, 02:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2020 GLE350
Originally Posted by mikapen
Call Chamberlain. They probably know your car and can probably give a solution.
I just did. 800.528.5880

It looks like they outsource the support to India. I could barely understand the agent. She said to call Homelink instead LMAO!!!!!
Old 09-01-2022, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I just did. 800.528.5880

It looks like they outsource the support to India. I could barely understand the agent. She said to call Homelink instead LMAO!!!!!
Oh no. Another One bites the dust.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:52 AM

Received 185 Likes on 138 Posts
2022 GLE 450
Originally Posted by Lucky 777
LED bulbs will cause interference but under most circumstances, the lights are off when you initially pull up to your garage door and press the open button.
This has been an ongoing issue for me and I never considered the led bulb to be the root cause. I changed it to a standard incandescent bulb this weekend, and it now works perfectly - every time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

Problem solving advice like this (albeit just a garage opener) is what this forum should be about, IMO, and not the constant bickering that I read on many posts.
The following 2 users liked this post by TonyF61:
EXTRAOLD (11-24-2022), mikapen (09-28-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 09:39 AM

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Originally Posted by TonyF61
This has been an ongoing issue for me and I never considered the led bulb to be the root cause. I changed it to a standard incandescent bulb this weekend, and it now works perfectly - every time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

Problem solving advice like this (albeit just a garage opener) is what this forum should be about, IMO, and not the constant bickering that I read on many posts.
Even with garage door friendly LED, there could still be interference with the signal which could result in shorter range.
What I did in addition to the garage door friendly LED lights is to also extend the antenna wire (all the way to the wall on top of the door). This helps (in my case) extend the opener range and also minimize the LED light interference.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:49 AM

2022 GLE 450
Originally Posted by zengshengliu
Even with garage door friendly LED, there could still be interference with the signal which could result in shorter range.
What I did in addition to the garage door friendly LED lights is to also extend the antenna wire (all the way to the wall on top of the door). This helps (in my case) extend the opener range and also minimize the LED light interference.
Great suggestion. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2022, 11:42 AM

2022 GLE 450
By the way, I didn't mean to exclude the many members who have been super helpful in several posts on this forum; including, but not limited to: MIKAPEN, WOLFMAN, RON.S, GREGW, FRENETIC, NEUROBIT, and many others. Thank you all.

Last edited by TonyF61; 09-29-2022 at 07:30 AM. Reason: fix type-o
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (09-28-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 E450 4-Matic
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I recall our car forgetting one of the 3 garage doors constantly when we got it in 2020. Mentioned it to the SA and he told me there is a software update out for that (service bulletin?). That took care of the issue. Unfortunately can't find the invoice for details...
I suspect my problem is software, as well. I have been keeping track of how often it loses the code. Every 10 days! That's not a hardware problem or an interference problem.

My car is due for regular service next month. I'll inquire with the dealer and update everyone here if they solve the problem.
Old 11-25-2022, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Did you complete the rolling code setup?
Using the "Learn" function on the opener?

I just re-set up another opener with my car, and had to refer to the Onboard Owner's Manual because I hadn't completed the setup.
Old 12-28-2022, 02:46 PM

2021 E450 4-Matic
Originally Posted by Dino+
I suspect my problem is software, as well. I have been keeping track of how often it loses the code. Every 10 days! That's not a hardware problem or an interference problem.

My car is due for regular service next month. I'll inquire with the dealer and update everyone here if they solve the problem.
Just had my car in for this to be looked at. They found no faults and performed a software update. Unfortunately, they did not document a service bulletin number or part number. I'll let you know if it worked, but that will take a few weeks.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:51 PM

2021 E450 4-Matic
Angry

Just had my car in for this to be looked at. They found no faults and performed a software update. Unfortunately, they did not document a service bulletin number or part number. I'll let you know if it worked, but that will take a few weeks.
Update: The car lost the code again. And again, just for the left garage, which was programmed to the left button on the mirror. So I reprogrammed the two buttons to swap the garage doors they control.

After 11 days, the left garage door code was forgotten. The left button successfully opened the right garage door, as I had programmed it to. So it's not specific to the button!

I pulled out the original, hand held remote that came with the garage door opener. It successfully opened the left garage door without needing reprogramming.

I have to admit, I'm a bit stymied. I could say that the fault was with the garage door opener itself... except that the hand held remote and my wife's car both work fine, successfully opening the door regardless of how much time has passed.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had the same experience until I realized I hadn't completed the second step. See post #36 above.
Hope it works for you.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,943 Likes on 2,631 Posts
2019 C63CS
So I've never had issues with Homelink and my 15 year old Liftmaster with rolling code. It does require the second step by pressing the Learn button. The mirror Homelink transmitter I believe is pretty much the same one in every model of roughly the same generation. Mine is a 2019. It actually gets installed at the VPC. When I did European Delivery with my C63 it didn't' have the Homelink buttons until the car arrived in the USA, so the VPC replaced the mirror. However, as somebody above suggested, I clear out all the codes every time I get a new car and reprogram all the cars/remotes. I do this primarily to remove the car I just sold as there isn't a way to remove just one code. I also don't use LED bulbs anymore. I did for a while and surprisingly they didn't cause any issues, even though several techs told me not to use them.

The other thing, though, is that newer garage door openers use the new Security+ 2.0 protocol. I have no experience with that and how reliable it is, but that could explain why it's only some openers that are having issues. I've been considering getting a new opener with built-in Wi-Fi, but ended up retrofitting the Chamberlain MyQ Smart Garage Hub, so now I can open my garage from my iPhone/CarPlay. Homelink is starting to become obsolete.

As far as calling Chamberlain/Liftmaster for support is concerned, they don't own Homelink. Homelink is owned by Gentex since 2013, so when they tell you to call Homelink, that's who they mean, as they supply the tech to MB, Chamberlain etc..

Last edited by superswiss; 01-27-2023 at 12:15 AM.
mikapen (01-27-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 10:34 AM

2021 E450 4-Matic
Originally Posted by mikapen
I had the same experience until I realized I hadn't completed the second step. See post #36 above.
Hope it works for you.
Okay, here is what I hope is the FINAL UPDATE for my problem.
After many attempts, following the owner's manual every time, I broke down and called Chamberlain. As someone else pointed out, Chamberlain redirected me to Homelink. The Homelink tech was extremely helpful. He gave me a slightly different set of steps to follow. The bottom line is that the owner's manual was not describing the steps correctly. Or, at least, I had to do it a bit differently.

As mikapen said, there was an extra step after the initial programming. I had to push the Learn button AFTER the initial programming. Now that I followed those slightly different steps, everything works and the car is not forgetting the code.

Thanks to everyone!
mikapen (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 11:11 AM

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Okay, here is what I hope is the FINAL UPDATE for my problem.
After many attempts, following the owner's manual every time, I broke down and called Chamberlain. As someone else pointed out, Chamberlain redirected me to Homelink. The Homelink tech was extremely helpful. He gave me a slightly different set of steps to follow. The bottom line is that the owner's manual was not describing the steps correctly. Or, at least, I had to do it a bit differently.

As mikapen said, there was an extra step after the initial programming. I had to push the Learn button AFTER the initial programming. Now that I followed those slightly different steps, everything works and the car is not forgetting the code.

Thanks to everyone!
The issue you described does sounds like a rolling code issue.
What I believe rolling code works, is when initially paired with the opener, it has a initial code. Every time when you use it, the code shift by x values. The garage door opener usually have a "range" which the previous and future x number of codes are allowed in case of a missed transmission (since code changed on every transmission/receival). If you didn't program the car with the rolling code, it will use the fix code, and eventually it will be out of the allowable range.
And just to be clear, the manual does stated the rolling code step. It also show you in the pairing step (left side of the image below) if you need to perform the rolling code step or not based on the light.

mikapen (03-18-2023)