Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 06:10 PM

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 GLE53 AMG
Originally Posted by Cbc200
Ah ok great

I’ve managed to get the cover off.

Did you unscrew the 4 screws to get to the glass - I can’t see any other way of doing it?

I would like to clean the camera lense but I'm not sure how to remove the inner cover. I tried but I could not. I can remove the entire cover but I can't remove the inner one to completely remove the cover. It is stuck to the mirror.

Any guidance will be appreciated!
Old 05-30-2022, 11:09 AM

Received 103 Likes on 53 Posts
2004 CLK320 Cab, 2020 GLE350
Just over a month ago I had a message pop up on the dash saying “Currently unavailable camera view restricted”

The message went away but I’ve noticed it appearing more often to the point where it happens every time I drive the car.

I have checked the windscreen where the camera is and it looks completely clear/clean to me.

My high-beam assist also stops working sometimes and doesn’t start again until I turn the car off for a while.

The high-beam assist message doesn’t come up at the same time as the other one - when the first message comes on in yellow, I can still turn on the auto high-beam until the second message appears.

I will have to have it looked at but can’t at the minute due to Covid.

Has anyone else had this happen?

I recently had my windshield replaced, damaged by a stone. I used a reputable repair facility, and because I had zero deductible glass insurance, I insisted on Mercedes OEM glass.

Right after the repair, I started getting both error messages as you show above, Not trusting the glass repair shop, I took the car to the dealer. They discovered there was a film on top of the new windshield that should have been removed. It was blocking the sensor in the rear view mirror housing. Once removed, everything worked fine. The Mercedes dealer felt this was a repair not covered by the warranty, and charged me $185. I felt this was reasonable.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:57 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE 450
Just over a month ago I had a message pop up on the dash saying “Currently unavailable camera view restricted”

The message went away but I’ve noticed it appearing more often to the point where it happens every time I drive the car.

I have checked the windscreen where the camera is and it looks completely clear/clean to me.

My high-beam assist also stops working sometimes and doesn’t start again until I turn the car off for a while.

The high-beam assist message doesn’t come up at the same time as the other one - when the first message comes on in yellow, I can still turn on the auto high-beam until the second message appears.

Does anyone know where can I find the Tech Bulletins for these issues?
Old 07-06-2022, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,022 Likes on 694 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by IconBycon
Does anyone know where can I find the Tech Bulletins for these issues?
No but my repair of the condition Camera view restricted (offgassing) referred to “Repairs referenced in October 2021 Tech Topics”. There may not be a TSB.

You might find something here:

https://www.tsbsearch.com/Mercedes-Benz?Page=98

Last edited by Ron.s; 07-06-2022 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:43 PM

GLE 450
Originally Posted by Ron.s
No but my repair of the condition Camera view restricted (offgassing) referred to “Repairs referenced in October 2021 Tech Topics”. There may not be a TSB.
Thanks.

Do they need a special equipment to "bake" it?
I can't imagine every dealership has such "oven" ready for action

I wonder if there is a TSB for the other situations, when it is not an off gassing issue.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks.

Do they need a special equipment to "bake" it?
I can't imagine every dealership has such "oven" ready for action

I wonder if there is a TSB for the other situations, when it is not an off gassing issue.
I posted a link by edit to TSB lookup. The two issues may be related…I got other error messages but don’t recall what they were.
Since they only bake at 200 degrees any oven would do.
Old 07-07-2022, 02:39 PM

GLE 450
I posted a link by edit to TSB lookup. The two issues may be related…I got other error messages but don’t recall what they were.
Since they only bake at 200 degrees any oven would do.
Do you mean this one:
https://www.tsbsearch.com/Mercedes-Benz

I tried all variant model of the GLE from 2020, with the keyword "camera", but could not find any relevant info.

Old 07-07-2022, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It’s a Multi function camera so it’s possible that it reads on coming lights for high beam assist. Or your problem may be unique and not yet covered by a TSB…or it might be in a monthly Tech bulletin. Like the proverbial needle in a haystack search.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:46 PM

GLE 450
It’s a Multi function camera so it’s possible that it reads on coming lights for high beam assist. Or your problem may be unique and not yet covered by a TSB…or it might be in a monthly Tech bulletin. Like the proverbial needle in a haystack search.
I'll keep looking

Thanks
Old 10-28-2022, 10:47 AM
Orr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 GLE 350
Camera View Restricted FIRE HAZARD Adaptive Headlights Problem

While pulling the camera unit down to clean the lenses I decided to remove the triangular plastic covers underneath the camera units. I noticed the heating elements that are intended to reduce fogging and icing in the area are burnt and possibly shorted.
This could be a potential FIRE HAZARD! In my opinion having worked on vehicles much of my time this could be the culprit to the “Camera View Restricted” message and the adaptive headlight control issue. These cameras messure light in the dark as well, telling the vehicle to dim your high beams. Attached are photos of what I found!
I STRONGLY RECOMMEND contacting your dealer and having them look into ASAP!!!

The following users liked this post:
MBguy013 (10-28-2022)
Old 01-03-2023, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE
GLE

[QUOTE=Cbc200;8051992]Just over a month ago I had a message pop up on the dash saying “Currently unavailable camera view restricted”

I have the same problem and being told this is normal which is rubbish as this is my thurd GLE and never had this fault message. Did anyone get their fault fixed?

I've not had mine clear itself, only when the car is turned off for a while.

It’s happening that often I’m sure there must be a problem - just not an obvious one as the camera area looks clear.

Not sure what’s changed as there were no problems the first 2 months, since then it’s been happening all the time.
gle

Last edited by Mike Davy; 01-03-2023 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-03-2023, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Read the above posts a little closer. I had the same problem and it took my dealership three times to understand and fix the problem. There is an MB service bulletin about this. If I remember correctly originally MB wanted the service tech to clean and bake (yes cook it) to fix it. Now I think they just replace the camera.
Good luck.

Last edited by BACnMercedes; 01-03-2023 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-03-2023, 05:08 PM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
350 GLE 4matic
Same issues, dealer replaced entire camera unit. But to get them on board I took almost1 15 pics when the diff messages came up, printed them and showed them so I could avoid “we couldn’t replicate“
Old 01-03-2023, 09:06 PM

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts
2021 GLE 63S SUV
I have the same issue! Several times a day we get the Camera View Restricted message, and then at night when the headlights are on we also get the adaptive highbeams unavailable message usually in tandem with camera view restricted. Both the camera and adaptive highbeams still work, but the headlight issue can be intermittent on a long ride at night. It would be great if someone could post the TSB for this if there is one.
Old 01-03-2023, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,127 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
There were two, one for the camera, and the other for the inside of the glass. Both for a residual film of some sort.
@Ron.s posted the "baking" TSB last year, and I had a different one on a replacement windshield.

I had similar experiences after the replacement, warnings and displays. This was after calibration, so it seems that the issue isn't discovered during calibration.

I had to return. They had ordered a replacement camera under warranty, which they installed. But the final TSB Fix only needed isopropyl alcohol. No problems since.

I'll look for my RO, but I don't think the TSB # was there - just the procedure.

Last edited by mikapen; 01-03-2023 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
GLE 350d
Tutorial on how to clean the LDWS sensors GLE 350 2019 and above

Sharing tutorial on how to solve the "Currently unavailable. Camera view restricted" issue by cleaning the LDWS sensors for GLE 350 2019 and above

Hope this helps.
Good luck!
The following 5 users liked this post by Mit-Ko:
Charcharius (01-11-2023), jaxslk (01-09-2023), MBguy013 (01-09-2023), mikapen (01-09-2023), PandaSPUR (01-13-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 07:37 PM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
2021 GLE63S
I'm so tempted to try this. After a lens hood replacement to no avail, the dealership has ordered a full replacement camera module, which of course is backordered. Oh well, first-world problems and all that.
Old 01-11-2023, 07:43 PM

GLE 450
Originally Posted by Charcharius
I'm so tempted to try this. After a lens hood replacement to no avail, the dealership has ordered a full replacement camera module, which of course is backordered. Oh well, first-world problems and all that.
I had this issue almost every drive and when it's cold at night, multiple times per drive.
The dealership tried to clean everything and it helped only for a short while.
Then they ordered a redesigned part for the housing (from Germany) that supposedly prevents the fogging.
I had zero issues in that regard since it was replaced about a month ago.

I think this is the best route, so save your energy and frustration
Old 01-11-2023, 08:44 PM

2021 GLE63S
I had this issue almost every drive and when it's cold at night, multiple times per drive.
The dealership tried to clean everything and it helped only for a short while.
Then they ordered a redesigned part for the housing (from Germany) that supposedly prevents the fogging.
I had zero issues in that regard since it was replaced about a month ago.

I think this is the best route, so save your energy and frustration
Sage advice. I’m a month into the back order delay - expecting another 3 months or so based on gut feel. Dealership can’t offer anything more concrete.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Charcharius
Odd…they replaced my camera at the same time as the lens hood. The outgassing of the plastic lens hood apparently clouds the camera lens internally.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:12 AM

2021 GLE63S
Odd…they replaced my camera at the same time as the lens hood. The outgassing of the plastic lens hood apparently clouds the camera lens internally.
Thanks for that, Ron. At the time, it seemed a logical move to me given it would have been a much cheaper (and available) part to replace, so I didn’t give it much thought. This assumes that the dealer was unaware of the fogging and the source of the fogging.

Given my experiences thus far, it is likely they didn’t know. As a parallel, I’m dealing with a creaky front left strut at present as well. They’ve replaced it a month ago, but in cold conditions, there is still a noise on rapid “compression”. I’m starting to think it’s the sway bar itself. As with the fogging, you’d think a TSB would inform the dealerships a bit better than this.

Always an adventure!
Old 04-23-2023, 05:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLS

Exact same problem on a 2020 GLS400. I get the same warnings approx every 10 minutes. Dealer have had the car in the shop seven times and have changed some parts with no improvement. The issue has been lifted to importer and manufacturer. The dealer now claim both importer and manufacturer agree the warnings are proof the system is working which is complete nonsense. The fault has effect for automatic high beams, active break assist, distronic and self driving capability, none of which are working. The three first items are safety related. Without those systems the car will not achieve five star safety rating. These systems are also an integral part of the car and a relatively new car without those features are pretty much set ten years back in technology age. I have demanded the dealer takes the car back due to the issue not been rectified. Case now pending legal clarification. Never buying a Mercedes again. Horrible customer service. Arrogant and not professional in any way.

“Das Beste oder nichts.” Well well

Another thread on same subject: https://forums.mbclub.co.uk/threads/...-issue.291734/

Old 04-23-2023, 07:58 AM

Received 202 Likes on 162 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic......... 2021 GLE 450
Originally Posted by Jcs@acg.no
Exact same problem on a 2020 GLS400. I get the same warnings approx every 10 minutes. Dealer have had the car in the shop seven times and have changed some parts with no improvement. The issue has been lifted to importer and manufacturer. The dealer now claim both importer and manufacturer agree the warnings are proof the system is working which is complete nonsense. The fault has effect for automatic high beams, active break assist, distronic and self driving capability, none of which are working. The three first items are safety related. Without those systems the car will not achieve five star safety rating. These systems are also an integral part of the car and a relatively new car without those features are pretty much set ten years back in technology age. I have demanded the dealer takes the car back due to the issue not been rectified. Case now pending legal clarification. Never buying a Mercedes again. Horrible customer service. Arrogant and not professional in any way.

“Das Beste oder nichts.” Well well

Another thread on same subject: https://forums.mbclub.co.uk/threads/...-issue.291734/
What parts has the dealer changed out? I had similar issues with mine and it was due to the outgassing on the camera lens. Once the camera was replaced 6 months ago, I haven't had any issues. Now only if I can get the clunky downshifts to stay away.....
Old 04-23-2023, 10:52 AM

GLS
They have changed the sun visor twice and have cleaned the windscreen and lens multiple times as well as software upgrades etc. They have refused to change the camera although there is much evidence pointing to the camera lens being contaminated on the inside from the damping of the heater mats in the sun visor. I have specifically asked for the camera to be changed, based on this and other threads but the dealer and importer is stubbornly claiming the camera is fine and the system works as designed. Multiple warning messages each day on a perfectly clean car and clear weather and not one single evening ride with operational auto dim/mask high beam is normal they claim. Unbelievable Mercedes choose to bring this matter to court rather than replace the bogus part or accept a return. Car has been parked for 6 months now awaiting court processing.

Last edited by ChrJS2018; 04-23-2023 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-23-2023, 12:25 PM

GLS
Originally Posted by MBguy013
What parts has the dealer changed out? I had similar issues with mine and it was due to the outgassing on the camera lens. Once the camera was replaced 6 months ago, I haven't had any issues. Now only if I can get the clunky downshifts to stay away.....
They have changed the sun visor twice and have cleaned the windscreen and lens multiple times as well as software upgrades etc. They have refused to change the camera although there is much evidence pointing to the camera lens being contaminated on the inside from the damping of the heater mats in the sun visor. I have specifically asked for the camera to be changed, based on this and other threads but the dealer and importer is stubbornly claiming the camera is fine and the system works as designed. Multiple warning messages each day on a perfectly clean car and clear weather and not one single evening ride with operational auto dim/mask high beam is normal they claim. Unbelievable Mercedes choose to bring this matter to court rather than replace the bogus part or accept a return. Car has been parked for 6 months now awaiting court processing.
​​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
wildta (05-08-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Camera View Restricted