GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Camera View Restricted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 11:21 AM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 GLE 350d AMG Line Prem+
Camera View Restricted

Just over a month ago I had a message pop up on the dash saying “Currently unavailable camera view restricted”

The message went away but I’ve noticed it appearing more often to the point where it happens every time I drive the car.

I have checked the windscreen where the camera is and it looks completely clear/clean to me.

My high-beam assist also stops working sometimes and doesn’t start again until I turn the car off for a while.

The high-beam assist message doesn’t come up at the same time as the other one - when the first message comes on in yellow, I can still turn on the auto high-beam until the second message appears.

I will have to have it looked at but can’t at the minute due to Covid.

Has anyone else had this happen?

The following users liked this post:
ppills3 (04-05-2023)
Old 05-10-2020, 12:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,042 Likes on 965 Posts
1999 E300TD
Only correctable with the use of MB's diagnostics XDOS!
Old 05-10-2020, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
I have had the high beam assist message a couple of times and it has cleared itself whilst driving.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Philamg
I have had the high beam assist message a couple of times and it has cleared itself whilst driving.
I've not had mine clear itself, only when the car is turned off for a while.

It’s happening that often I’m sure there must be a problem - just not an obvious one as the camera area looks clear.

Not sure what’s changed as there were no problems the first 2 months, since then it’s been happening all the time.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:23 PM
Banned

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
A
You mentioned the windscreen camera how about the front bumper cam can that be soiled?
Old 05-10-2020, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by bad habit
You mentioned the windscreen camera how about the front bumper cam can that be soiled?
I have checked the bumper camera and it is clean.

I think the camera on the bumper is only used for the 360° camera - I believe the high beam assist uses the windscreen camera only.

Looking at the windscreen I can see space for 2 cameras, one either side of the rear view mirror.

It looks like there is only a camera in the left hand side (looking at the windscreen) - the right hand side has no camera in it.

I’m assuming this is correct as I don’t have the drivers assistance pack.
bad habit (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
I think there are also cameras under the mirrors and another on the hatch for surround view but like you said the warning looks to be the main camera behind the rear view mirror. I would go see the Dealer you might have a component failing.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gle 300d
I had the same. It was due to soiling on the inside of the windscreen Infront of the camera.

I dismantled the rear mirror plastic covering attached to headliner, then pulled electrical contractors, then pulled camera outwards.

Then very gently remove the next cover (careful and delicately) and clean cloudiness on windscreen. Reverse install.

Although there is a demister element in that area, the windscreen still would have some soiling after a year or so.

Also wipe camera lense with cottonbud.

I have done this around a month ago and the error did not recur eversince (for now!)
wyatt88 (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by AS_glc250d
I had the same. It was due to soiling on the inside of the windscreen Infront of the camera.

I dismantled the rear mirror plastic covering attached to headliner, then pulled electrical contractors, then pulled camera outwards.

Then very gently remove the next cover (careful and delicately) and clean cloudiness on windscreen. Reverse install.

Although there is a demister element in that area, the windscreen still would have some soiling after a year or so.

Also wipe camera lense with cottonbud.

I have done this around a month ago and the error did not recur eversince (for now!)
Thanks for that!

I can see that you have a GLC - has anyone ever removed the camera housing on a GLE?

I will have a look at trying this if it’s not too difficult.

Did you not need to have the camera recalibrated after removing it as I wouldn’t want to mess up the lane keeping assist?
Old 05-11-2020, 05:45 AM

Gle 300d
My present car is the gle300d
Old 05-11-2020, 07:51 AM

My present car is the gle300d
Ah ok great

I’ve managed to get the cover off.

Did you unscrew the 4 screws to get to the glass - I can’t see any other way of doing it?

Old 05-11-2020, 08:12 AM

Gle 300d
No.

Just pull it towards you and slightly upwards. It will come out.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:37 AM

No.

Just pull it towards you and slightly upwards. It will come out.
Thanks!

Managed to get it out but had to take out three metal clips where I’ve drawn a circles on the photo.

The camera camera lens was definitely dirty - cleaned it very carefully.

All that’s left to clean is the inside of the windscreen where the camera sits.

Did you manage to get the triangle bit of plastic off to clean the glass?

Last edited by Cbc200; 05-11-2020 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:44 AM

Gle 300d
Yes i did but i was afraid of breaking that triangle. It's quite hard to come off and the plastic is pretty flimsy.
​​​​
one can use a cotton bud to clean the windscreen glass through the hole .

Old 05-11-2020, 09:56 AM

Yes i did but i was afraid of breaking that triangle. It's quite hard to come off and the plastic is pretty flimsy.
​​​​
one can use a cotton bud to clean the windscreen glass through the hole .
I gave up trying to get it off as I was afraid of breaking it, it is very flimsy as you say!

I ended up wrapping a soft glass cloth around a cotton bud and going through the hole as you’ve said.

Seems to have fixed the problem - just been out and no error message so I’ll give it a few days to confirm 🤞🏻

As a side note - I always thought lane keeping assist systems required stereoscopic cameras, the GLE (without the drivers assistance pack) seems to only have one.
Old 09-07-2020, 02:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2018 GLE 350
Hi first ever post so be gentle. 2020 GLE 450, took delivery Oct. 2019. Love the car. Yesterday, using GPS for the first time in about 6 months, the "augmented reality" view of the upcoming turns was extremely fuzzy, almost completely fogged out in the center, clearer (but not clear) toward both right and left edges. First time I had this problem. It worked fine the last time I used it (quite a while ago). I started looking for and checking cameras. Cleaned all the surround view cameras and the windshield itself (but not the center windshield camera which I missed). The problem persisted. Started searching threads and posts. Came across this one and noticed the camera right in the center of the cluster of sensors in the pod between the mirror and the windshield. I read the posts suggesting a fix requiring some pod dis-assembly. I was chicken. I rarely get anything back together that I've taken apart (as my wife will happily confirm). So I went out to the garage and started looking at that cluster very closely from a variety of very uncomfortable angles. There seemed to be a small gap between the front of the cluster and the windshield itself. Poking around with my little finger I could feel the dome covering the camera lens. Slid a micro fiber cloth between the windshield and the front of the cluster, did a little buff, did the lens itself with the cloth and my little finger. Bingo! Camera picture crystal clear! Hope this helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by OldProf:
AS_glc250d (09-07-2020), GregW / Oregon (09-07-2020)
Old 01-15-2021, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 450
How did you manage to get the plastic cover off from around the mirror? I can get the main piece detached but can't seem to get the front section off that appears to separate to remove around mirror post.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by OldProf
Hi first ever post so be gentle. 2020 GLE 450, took delivery Oct. 2019. Love the car. Yesterday, using GPS for the first time in about 6 months, the "augmented reality" view of the upcoming turns was extremely fuzzy, almost completely fogged out in the center, clearer (but not clear) toward both right and left edges. First time I had this problem. It worked fine the last time I used it (quite a while ago). I started looking for and checking cameras. Cleaned all the surround view cameras and the windshield itself (but not the center windshield camera which I missed). The problem persisted. Started searching threads and posts. Came across this one and noticed the camera right in the center of the cluster of sensors in the pod between the mirror and the windshield. I read the posts suggesting a fix requiring some pod dis-assembly. I was chicken. I rarely get anything back together that I've taken apart (as my wife will happily confirm). So I went out to the garage and started looking at that cluster very closely from a variety of very uncomfortable angles. There seemed to be a small gap between the front of the cluster and the windshield itself. Poking around with my little finger I could feel the dome covering the camera lens. Slid a micro fiber cloth between the windshield and the front of the cluster, did a little buff, did the lens itself with the cloth and my little finger. Bingo! Camera picture crystal clear! Hope this helps.
That was covered by a Tech Bulletin sometime last year. It was a supplier issue, where the lenses were not cleaned before delivering to the Factory. As I understand it, the Factory now cleans lenses before installation - similar to cleaning the previously painted ground points.
The Dealership will perform the lens-cleaning at no cost to you.
Crito (05-26-2023)
Old 05-10-2022, 08:58 PM

GLE2021
Originally Posted by Cbc200
Ah ok great

I’ve managed to get the cover off.

Did you unscrew the 4 screws to get to the glass - I can’t see any other way of doing it?
Where do you find this part? I have the same problem as yours.
Old 05-10-2022, 09:11 PM

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
350 GLE 4matic
I had same problem and dealer just blew me off with “characteristic” comment…will definitely try this
Old 05-10-2022, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Why not let the Dealer make the repair under warranty? I started getting this issue as I posted on another thread. Mine was diagnosed as “off gassing” from the plastic camera housing. The fix required baking the housing at 200 degrees for an hour and the multi function camera had to be replaced. There is a fairly recent Mercedes TSB now available to guide your Dealer.
I bring this up because I had a problem for over a year and the initial cleaning of the lens and window by the Dealer fixed it for a short time.
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...-failures.html
Crito (05-26-2023)
Old 05-10-2022, 09:16 PM

GLE2021
Originally Posted by Mcfancy14
I had same problem and dealer just blew me off with “characteristic” comment…will definitely try this
Follow the steps in these guys suggested. I couldn't open the plastic cover though. I just clean the lens between the windshield. I don't know how to take the plastic cover off because it's stuck to the mirror.

Old 05-10-2022, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ron.s
Why not let the Dealer make the repair under warranty? I started getting this issue as I posted on another thread. Mine was diagnosed as “off gassing” from the plastic camera housing. The fix required baking the housing at 200 degrees for an hour and the multi function camera had to be replaced. There is a fairly recent Mercedes TSB now available to guide your Dealer.
I bring this up because I had a problem for over a year and the initial cleaning of the lens and window by the Dealer fixed it for a short time.
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...-failures.html
Here’s the work order pertaining to this issue-

jaxslk (05-10-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 08:04 PM

Received 213 Likes on 160 Posts
2023 GLE450, 2021 E350 / Used to drive: 2019 E300, 2021 + 2020 GLE350, 2019 E450 Wagon(s), 2017 E300
I had this same issue and they tried the lens cleaning fix, but that didn't fix it. On a second visit for the same issue they replaced the camera module because it was intermittently losing connection with the network. Note - my lens cleaning was before the "outgassing" fix, but their Xentry diagnostics confirmed the intermittent connection loss - so, be on the lookout for later occurrences and be sure to get the module replaced if applicable. (They also noted that the original module in my vehicle was warm to the touch when they removed it - which apparently it should not be - just FYI on that - not sure what it really means.)

Old 05-11-2022, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Ron.s
Here’s the work order pertaining to this issue-

Thanks for that, Ron
My shop found an additional step, when they were replacing the windshield. (Gravel hit.)
There was a batch of cameras that was sent from the manufacturer as replacement parts. They had a similar film on them when removed from the packaging. There was a bulletin on the replacement parts also, which involved cleaning the lens itself with isopropyl.

So apparently that manufacturer sent some that were installed with haze, and others that went into the replacement parts chain.

My original camera wouldn't calibrate after the new windshield was installed, so they ordered a replacement camera, and then found the bulletin on the replacement camera lens. Cleaned it and everything worked, and still does.

Long story, but there is more than one place to remove cloudiness.
Lanzz (05-12-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Camera View Restricted