2020 GLE on a flatbed ....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2020 | 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Nuts!

Originally Posted by maalox
Stupid question: I tried to do this today (not because of any issue), and while it is very easy to access, I wasn't sure which nut to remove. I assume it's the one marked "A" because of what looks like the black negative battery terminal cable underneath it, but the wrench head doesn't fit horizontally. I could only fit it vertically which doesn't give me much torque, and I wasn't able to budge it at all using moderate force. Wanted to double check that I'm doing the right thing before trying harder.

Bonus stupid question: What's the nut marked "B" for?

Do NOT touch nut "A." You can tell by the paint sealant on it that it is not meant to be removed under normal circumstances. That is a ground. Nut "B" is the negative battery terminal and a 10mm combination wrench removes it easily.
Old 11-27-2020 | 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Do NOT touch nut "A." You can tell by the paint sealant on it that it is not meant to be removed under normal circumstances. That is a ground. Nut "B" is the negative battery terminal and a 10mm combination wrench removes it easily.
Yikes! Glad I asked! Thank you everyone for the responses, appreciate it.
Old 11-27-2020 | 10:18 PM

2020 MB C43 Sedan AMG
Greg,

Negative is the ground.
If I was going to to this I would've said loosen A.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-27-2020 | 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by vintage59
Greg,

Negative is the ground.
If I was going to to this I would've said loosen A.

Just my 2 cents.
B is the battery ground terminal Perhaps it connects to A as the chassis connection. But when it’s pain over like that it should not be removed unless you know what you’re doing. A is easier to access as well.
Old 11-27-2020 | 11:53 PM

2023 GLE 450 4matic
B has more than one connection and is the only spot in this scenario to completely remove all power from the car. I'd say anyone who is unsure about something this simple should just do as the OP and call the flatbed.
Old 11-28-2020 | 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I can't tell from the pic above, which one is the negative/ground connection. But the rule of thumb is: NEVER touch the positive connection until you have removed the negative/chassis ground first.
The reason is, if you touch any part of the ground (everything metal on the car) with the wrench handle, you may cause an arc, which can fry many thousand$$$ of electronics.
Check for markings, check your fuse diagram, or verify cable colors before taking that chance. If you don't have those, use a meter or test light to find which is hot (positive, 12v) and don't touch it.
And then consider - removing the power from the auto will probably cause loss of all memory. Radio presets, seat positions, Bluetooth pairings, etc. I don't know about the V167, but previously you needed to provided a 12v supply to a cigarette lighter when changeling batteries, to maintain memory.
A reboot can be a good tool to employ, to save a trip to the Service Department. Just be sure you are comfortable with the procedure.
Old 11-28-2020 | 10:30 PM

2021 GLE53 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Ron.s
In an emergency, if you need to use a Crescent wrench or open end wrench like that you can use a screwdriver through the hole on opposite end for leverage. It’s not a good idea though because it’s easy to slip and ding the nut so a socket won’t fit.
Terrible idea to even try to use an adjustable wrench. you will end up rounding the nut. There is not enough room to use one. Even a box end/open end 10 mm wrench will be hard to use. 10mm socket with an extension and ratchet wrench or a "T" handle is the proper tool. Will also minimize touching another metal part and blowing a fuse and shocking you.
Old 11-28-2020 | 11:14 PM

2021 GLE53 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by JRTouareg
Terrible idea to even try to use an adjustable wrench. you will end up rounding the nut. There is not enough room to use one. Even a box end/open end 10 mm wrench will be hard to use. 10mm socket with an extension and ratchet wrench or a "T" handle is the proper tool. Will also minimize touching another metal part and blowing a fuse and shocking you.
I'm sorry, didn't mean to be short on my reply. I'm speaking from experience and do not want someone to make my mistake. Its funny though that my Cayenne, Audi and VWs all had the battery located under the front passenger seat. Cayenne had a lithium battery which never seemed to lose charge. I have always carried a small socket set in all my vehicles. Mercedez Benz used to come with a complete tool kit in the trunk.

I have toured the VW plant in Chattanooga, TN and the MB plant in Vance, Alabama. Quality control at the VW plant "seems" better. They have more checks along the assembly line than MB and have more humans checking each vehicle as it comes off the assembly line than at the MB plant. They check EVERY facet of the vehicle. MB only checks certain items. I'm quite surprised at this since the Atlas is half the price of a GLE. Although an engineer friend of mine who graduated from Alabama says the AMG line is separate and more thorough. I have been directing him to this forum. Not sure if he even bother to look.
Old 11-29-2020 | 07:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by JRTouareg
I said “emergency” like that’s the only tool you have available that will fit. Also said it’s not a good idea for the same reason you mentioned. Those are grounds so will not blow a fuse but you make a good point if it was the hot side of the battery. As was mentioned earlier...if you aren’t comfortable with your knowledge or skill it’s better to call for a flatbed rather than risk serious damage to the electronics.