Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 04:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,988 Likes on 3,135 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by bad habit
The obvious one, X5
@bad habit I don't see that on this thread the X5 was mentioned as having a smooth, or otherwise, launch. Did you see it? WA3CUJ mentioned X5 units sold.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:55 PM

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
various
My GLE has appalling quality. I’ve simply given up as it is only a 1 year lease.
climate control Faulty
high beam assist faulty - allegedly condensation
collision avoidance issues
mbux no internet connectivity took 2 months to resolve
pile missing from carpet
wheel arch trim debonded
towbar switch trim defective

handwritten notes on many parts as though it’s a prototype.

spares on back order for months.

would avoid this model like the plague. Timely huh...
The following 3 users liked this post by quattrogmbh:
auntieshoque (08-23-2020), chassis (08-22-2020), places (08-23-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well... on this last post if there are "handwritten notes" it IS possible you bought what you thought was a "MB Executive or "Brass Hat" with some miles on it that was actually a a "Pre-Production Test MB" or "Engineering Test MB" - if I recall correctly on a VII/VMI report those are PT3 or PT4 from memory.

So if you did purchase with miles on your GLE - then "maybe" in chasing a great deal - you got a bit shafted...
Old 08-22-2020, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Yep - what has been mentioned about the "new" X5 is spot on - headaches with systems and mechanical's have been crazy....

Another interesting Factoid - about 40% of our BMW leases come back with the original "owner" never having had even one dealer service - even though service would have been free - and not uncommon on 30K-36K mile leases for their BMW coming back literally running on bald tires.

In comparison 80% of the MB owners have done religious service - and the other 20% are no way even close to the way BMW owner's disregard taking care of their BMW.

Another thing that comes up on BMW leases - is if the "owner" had a windshield replaced with aftermarket glass - that owner get's charged for a Gen BMW replacement windshield for the next owner - and that's a Ouch !
Old 08-23-2020, 07:19 AM
Banned

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
A
Originally Posted by chassis
@bad habit I don't see that on this thread the X5 was mentioned as having a smooth, or otherwise, launch. Did you see it? WA3CUJ mentioned X5 units sold.
X5 being the most sold and most complained about, X7 by extension as they share the same platform.
Needless to say but I will - if the X5s have problems, the X7 have the same problems as well.
You posting that the X7 had a good launch let's compare that to the GLS? I don't think your argument holds.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,492 Likes on 985 Posts
No more MB:(
X5 being the most sold and most complained about, X7 by extension as they share the same platform.
Needless to say but I will - if the X5s have problems, the X7 have the same problems as well.
You posting that the X7 had a good launch let's compare that to the GLS? I don't think your argument holds.
The fact that you need to defend the 167 against BMW says enough. The issues that plagued various GLE's on this forum alone are enough to warrant the vs BMW discussion. Something that should never come up as MB cars have always been considered a level up but no more unless you go to the higher line MB cars.

There is a consensus here on MBWorld and even at my local dealer that many of these GLE's are plagued and basically a lottery pick. I have owned MB cars for a long time and can't imagine ever encountering the issues that some GLE owners have, some of them are absolute nightmares.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 11:55 AM
Banned

A
Lol of course I will compare, it's the eternal derby & these vehicles are in same class, aiming roughly for the same market segments. Who would you compare to, Trabant?
A consensus implies a majority agreement - all I see is you, chassis, and 2 others who I don't care enough to remember *****posting the same baseless, generalized statements.
I am sure that there are just as many, if not more, very happy owners - such as myself, Greg, Ron from the top of my head, who would say the opposite.
Your statements are baseless, because none of you own the actual vehicle so all you do is echo posts from strangers on the Internet.
Generalized, because you saw single digits complaining and decided that all 167s are "plagued" meanwhile tens of thousands are happily rolling.
The following 3 users liked this post by bad habit:
Hurricane1938 (08-27-2020), Ralph112 (08-23-2020), Ron.s (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 12:32 PM

Received 403 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Originally Posted by Suqicake

sometime i do hear creaking sound, driving slow over the hump or uneven road.
This could be probably the moon roof which is quite common in other brands too.
I have accepted this fact and live with it.
rev the gas for the air-con to work.
Send the car back to the dealers 4x as its under warranty and the problems still stays.
Creaking is likely caused by the rubber door seals flexiing against the body, as it flexes when in torsion (like slowing turning into a driveway the has a slight incline. You can reproduce it by pressing against the top of the door frame, where it meets the roof and B-puller. Silicon grease on the door gaskets will stop it if it really annoys you.

Last edited by TexAg91; 08-24-2020 at 05:13 AM.
chassis (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 12:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,988 Likes on 3,135 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by TexAg91
Creaking is likely caused by the rubber door seals flexiing against the body, as it flexes when it torsion (like slowing turning into a driveway the has a slight incline. You can reproduce it by pressing against the top of the door frame, where it meets the roof and B-puller. Silicon grease on door gaskets will stop it if it really annoys you.
Gummi Pflege Stift (ebay, Amazon, Google) is a good product for creaking/squeaking door seals and weatherstrip.
Old 08-23-2020, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Lol of course I will compare, it's the eternal derby & these vehicles are in same class, aiming roughly for the same market segments. Who would you compare to, Trabant?
A consensus implies a majority agreement - all I see is you, chassis, and 2 others who I don't care enough to remember *****posting the same baseless, generalized statements.
I am sure that there are just as many, if not more, very happy owners - such as myself, Greg, Ron from the top of my head, who would say the opposite.
Your statements are baseless, because none of you own the actual vehicle so all you do is echo posts from strangers on the Internet.
Generalized, because you saw single digits complaining and decided that all 167s are "plagued" meanwhile tens of thousands are happily rolling.
Well said....anyone following the new GLE threads for very long would note that I had more issues than most. Not with anything important like the Engine, Transmission Body, Suspension, etc. Just minor things like software, battery & an electrical component. Be an early adopter and there is a higher possibility that you will have issues with any brand.
My wife would be driving another Lexus RX350 had they not had too many issues with their redesign in 2016. We waited for the 2017 RX...no better so started looking around and bought an Audi.
Some people may be living too far in the past. Mercedes does not build cars anymore, (no one does) they Design & Assemble them. They don’t even make the body shell on the GLE. More and more they all are dependent on 3rd party suppliers. When they do a redesign of a high volume vehicle there will always be a higher percentage of issues. Mercedes started building a few GLE cars in about July 2018. Build, test, make corrections all you want but until suppliers ramp up to full production there will always be QC issues show up. Mercedes ex Management made a bad decision to keep assembling the GLE missing parts like bumpers & seats and then storing them on lots. That number reached at least 30k in the US and Germany had maybe 12k. Some of those cars probably had assembly problems. I’m not sure that there is any value to Forum members by constantly repeating negative comments every time someone has a problem. We feel bad enough that we have them and don’t need an agitator telling us we got a piece of crap. Most people post hoping for help or a solution.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ron.s:
bad habit (08-23-2020), Ralph112 (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 03:40 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 BMW 5 Series, 2020 GLE 350
Originally Posted by Ron.s
Well said....anyone following the new GLE threads for very long would note that I had more issues than most. Not with anything important like the Engine, Transmission Body, Suspension, etc. Just minor things like software, battery & an electrical component. Be an early adopter and there is a higher possibility that you will have issues with any brand.
My wife would be driving another Lexus RX350 had they not had too many issues with their redesign in 2016. We waited for the 2017 RX...no better so started looking around and bought an Audi.
Some people may be living too far in the past. Mercedes does not build cars anymore, (no one does) they Design & Assemble them. They don’t even make the body shell on the GLE. More and more they all are dependent on 3rd party suppliers. When they do a redesign of a high volume vehicle there will always be a higher percentage of issues. Mercedes started building a few GLE cars in about July 2018. Build, test, make corrections all you want but until suppliers ramp up to full production there will always be QC issues show up. Mercedes ex Management made a bad decision to keep assembling the GLE missing parts like bumpers & seats and then storing them on lots. That number reached at least 30k in the US and Germany had maybe 12k. Some of those cars probably had assembly problems. I’m not sure that there is any value to Forum members by constantly repeating negative comments every time someone has a problem. We feel bad enough that we have them and don’t need an agitator telling us we got a piece of crap. Most people post hoping for help or a solution.
Agreed, and to state the obvious, not many people care to post a positive note on a car, much less after the initial impressions and excitement fades away. 1. they dont feel the need 2. they dont feel it will help anybody 3. they dont want to jinx anything
I have been driving my five series for the past 8 years and never cared to post anything about my experience for the same 3 reasons.

People on the other hand need help with issues of the car and will seek it.
bad habit (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,723 Likes on 2,126 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Actually, I find all of these negative reports very informative in helping me decide on which vehicle to buy next. I certainly feel for the folks who got the GLE’s with so many problems and hope they get them resolved. That said, the number of owners right here on this forum who have experienced numerous, serious & less serious problems, is a bit shocking. We pay the big bucks for vehicles adorned with the 3-Pointed Star because we expect that the vehicles MB produces will be way better vetted than the GLE appears to be. We expect them to be “ready for prime time” when the first one rolls off the assembly line, but it would appear that MB really dropped the ball on the V167.

In 1989, when Lexus first introduced the LS400, it caused a real stir. I believe that currently, the folks at Hyundai/Genesis are about to really stir things up again with their GV80 and like Lexus, what do we want to bet that these new SUV’s will be vetted to the Nth degree, and if there are issues, that the dealers will fall all over themselves to fix them, perfectly and QUICKLY, with no B.S.? At the very least, I believe that the new Genesis models are going to give MB, BMW & other luxury brands a much needed kick in the ***, as Lexus did so many years ago.

Side note: I’ve bought or leased over 60 brand new cars for my own personal use. In 1987, my daily driver was an MB 560 SEC. Then, I had a string of BMW 7 Series sedans. In 1993, I bought my first Lexus LS sedan and then proceeded to have EIGHT of them in a row. I was so sick of the problems with MB & BMW and so IN LOVE with the Lexus cars and the way the dealers treated me, that the Germans lost my DD business for TWO DECADES. I only switched back to an S Class in 2013, when Lexus lost their minds with their idiotic “spindle grille” design language. The folks from the VATERLAND, should be looking over their shoulders, ‘cause somethin’s comin!
The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
chassis (08-23-2020), places (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's one thing to compare brands based on value, performance, and overall satisfaction however some of the issues on the GLE's on this forum are frightening. I can't imagine leaving my vehicle at a dealer for weeks (or sometimes longer) waiting for parts. Or spending 90K to find myself with a LIST of issues that require MBUSA to get involved.

As for not owning the vehicle, maybe that's because after decades of MB purchase history myself and certain others see the obvious decline in quality reflected in this brand's production of the lower and mid tier product lines. There's a reason I and others don't and won't own one of these. Perhaps I've been lucky, but after 15 or so high line MB cars (along with other brands) over the last 25 years I have been for the most part trouble free. Actually almost perfect. There is a reason, I steered clear of this mid and entry level stuff they are producing and putting a star on. It's a hard pass.
chassis (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Streamliner
Actually, I find all of these negative reports very informative in helping me decide on which vehicle to buy next. I certainly feel for the folks who got the GLE’s with so many problems and hope they get them resolved. That said, the number of owners right here on this forum who have experienced numerous, serious & less serious problems, is a bit shocking. We pay the big bucks for vehicles adorned with the 3-Pointed Star because we expect that the vehicles MB produces will be way better vetted than the GLE appears to be. We expect them to be “ready for prime time” when the first one rolls off the assembly line, but it would appear that MB really dropped the ball on the V167.

In 1989, when Lexus first introduced the LS400, it caused a real stir. I believe that currently, the folks at Hyundai/Genesis are about to really stir things up again with their GV80 and like Lexus, what do we want to bet that these new SUV’s will be vetted to the Nth degree, and if there are issues, that the dealers will fall all over themselves to fix them, perfectly and QUICKLY, with no B.S.? At the very least, I believe that the new Genesis models are going to give MB, BMW & other luxury brands a much needed kick in the ***, as Lexus did so many years ago.

Side note: I’ve bought or leased over 60 brand new cars for my own personal use. In 1987, my daily driver was an MB 560 SEC. Then, I had a string of BMW 7 Series sedans. In 1993, I bought my first Lexus LS sedan and then proceeded to have EIGHT of them in a row. I was so sick of the problems with MB & BMW and so IN LOVE with the Lexus cars and the way the dealers treated me, that the Germans lost my DD business for TWO DECADES. I only switched back to an S Class in 2013, when Lexus lost their minds with their idiotic “spindle grille” design language. The folks from the VATERLAND, should be looking over their shoulders, ‘cause somethin’s comin!
Agree, the reports on this forum are enough to deter. Seems like there is a tolerance for 90K vehicles that are riddled with defects. The approach seems to be "take it in and they will get it all sorted out, no big deal" or "it''s a year one production". Personally I would just get rid of the damn thing and get something else.

Personally I think MB has become just another car brand, save for a few of the higher line choices. The mention of Asian made competitors is becoming more commonplace, something I never thought I would see. The power of the star has been diluted. Let's hope the new S can hold the throne.
The following 2 users liked this post by places:
chassis (08-23-2020), Streamliner (08-24-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by places
...Or spending 90K to find myself with a LIST of issues that require MBUSA to get involved. There is a reason, I steered clear of this mid and entry level stuff they are producing and putting a star on. It's a hard pass.
Now you are coming off as a little snooty. So why are you wasting your time on this thread and the mid-entry level cheapo’s? You don’t intend to buy one & most of your posts aren’t helpful, IMO.
As a matter of fact there is very little difference between a well optioned GLE 450, 53 or 63S in the basic vehicle. Actually you can option an almost identical 53 to a 63S. The 63S has a hand assembled engine with lots of power that no one needs or uses. Most of the base vehicle is the same with some more expensive leather, headliner & more standard equipment. It wouldn’t surprise me if many of the people buying these mid to entry level cars can afford a 63S if that’s what they wanted.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ron.s:
bad habit (08-23-2020), Ralph112 (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 07:49 PM
Banned

A
Now you are coming off as a little snooty. So why are you wasting your time on this thread and the mid-entry level cheapo’s? You don’t intend to buy one & most of your posts aren’t helpful, IMO.
As a matter of fact there is very little difference between a well optioned GLE 450, 53 or 63S in the basic vehicle. Actually you can option an almost identical 53 to a 63S. The 63S has a hand assembled engine with lots of power that no one needs or uses. Most of the base vehicle is the same with some more expensive leather, headliner & more standard equipment. It wouldn’t surprise me if many of the people buying these mid to entry level cars can afford a 63S if that’s what they wanted.
Moreover, the Maybach GLE shares the same platform as the "mid-levels" and will inherit the same quirks
Old 08-24-2020, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I suspect most people here can afford to level up to a 63, 53, or whatever. My point is I wouldn't compromise and spend 100K on a GLE based on the plagued issues. If they can build a rock solid quality vehicle with consistency then a 63 or 580 could make for an awesome ride. Otherwise it's a lottery.
The following 3 users liked this post by places:
chassis (08-24-2020), Streamliner (08-24-2020), tery (08-24-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 04:24 PM
Banned

A
Talking

Originally Posted by places
I suspect most people here can afford to level up to a 63, 53, or whatever. My point is I wouldn't compromise and spend 100K on a GLE based on the plagued issues. If they can build a rock solid quality vehicle with consistency then a 63 or 580 could make for an awesome ride. Otherwise it's a lottery.
If you want to make a point, you need facts. And the facts are, like maybe ten people posted about problems. And just as many posted about not having any. So your statement about the model being "plagued" is baseless.
Ralph112 (08-24-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you want to make a point, you need facts. And the facts are, like maybe ten people posted about problems. And just as many posted about not having any. So your statement about the model being "plagued" is baseless.
10 people? There are probably ten threads on the first page alone. LOL. Also, the weight of these issues is alarming. I mean one guy posted about a door panel coming off. Seriously. Where is the QC?

Just look at the issues the OP of this thread had, and this is a "luxury" vehicle? Only because of the star. Period. If this was any other "lesser" brand the tone would be far different.

The following 2 users liked this post by places:
chassis (08-24-2020), Streamliner (08-24-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 09:43 PM

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
2023 GLC 300 4MATIC
Had mine since May 2019......perfect. I find these threads funny. By buddy has one as well. Got his in June of 2019. Not one issue. He looked at this site one time, said it wasn’t for him. To many whiners. It’s like we have completely different cars than others here. Eh, probably driver error.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 375 Likes on 327 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Look carefully at this "defect":

I see the same "issue" in several '21 W167 GLE63 made in Nov/Dec. of 2019 (where did they keep all those cars until now? 2021MY made at the end of 2019?).
Imanone (09-12-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 02:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 GLE350
Originally Posted by penyekz
Not sure if any of you have experienced this in your GLE but these are a list of issues in my GLE that's 2 weeks old.

1. Crooked MB star at bonnet - star was not aligned properly and clips were pushing base in causing it to warp. --> Resolved
2. Seat belt plastic covering on B pillar not aligned and warped and seat belts could not retract. --> Resolved
3. Front camera lens cover dirty/scratched causing blur video --> Resolved
4. Creaking steering wheel - See videos below
5. Keyless-Go issue - See video - Any solutions apart from shaking the key?
6. Patch of bald carpet in 3rd row
7. Car had dirty patches on A pillar
8. Marks/scratches on interior door panel
9. 3rd row headrest cannot be raised

I felt this is poor QC from both MB factory and local dealer.

10. Voice control issues
  • Navigation - Unable to navigate using voice to input post code
  • Unable to call simple favourites like Home or Office. System keeps directing to choose destination or contacts and cannot find contact even though it is stored in phone
  • Unable to dictate a SMS reply - apparently needs internet connection and Mercedes Me subscription??
  • Local dealer did not provide mercedes me service

Hi OP,

I'm having the same steering wheel creaking issue on my month-old GLE350 – have they been able to fix it and if so, how?

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
creaking.mov (8.03 MB, 31 views)
Old 09-17-2021, 08:22 PM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
2020 GLE 350 4Matic, 2016 E350
Guys make Mercedes Fix the deficits. They know how to. . the discolor carpeting and all will have to be replaced. and the Camera lens. Talk to the GM. if you now satisfied with the SA actions.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W212, e350
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Yes, BUT, the 2020 GLE’s seem to have way more problems compared to other MB models. I hope many of these issues will be resolved with the 2021 models. My wife wants an SUV and the GLE is the right size. That said, before going for one, we will drive the new Genesis GV80, which should be out anytime now. Not thrilled with the vertical screen on the dash, but to me, the rest of the interior is a home run!

congratulations if you buy such a beauty. The Genesis have turned a lot of heads.
a vehicle model type in its very first year is too much adventure for me, though
Old 09-20-2021, 06:48 AM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
2020 GLE 350 4Matic, 2016 E350
When Shopping for a new model MB, I come here first to read all the issue on the vehicle and how it was handled by the dealership prior to even test driving the car. I'm still deciding if I want to get the GLE 350 of GLE 450. Depends how they drive mostly. I went from 8 to 5 cylinder on my ML's Now Iwill consider a turbo four banger. I'm a sceptic about a 4 cylinder engine lugging around a 47xx lbs. vehicle for a long duration.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Issues on new GLE