GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

How to Visually Distinguish Between Advanced (Multibeam) & Standard Headlight?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 03:15 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts
2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by Bayern
I had my multibeam LED enabled in USA with mbux coding. Cost me extra $ but I hate having headlights with features I can’t use. I wanted to try it out. Can disable as well to revert to original.

Hi, where did you get the fix?
Old 09-15-2020, 03:58 PM

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts
2016 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by BenjaminKohl
Yes, you’re correct. The base lights have projectors on the outboard and reflectors on the inboard whereas on the ILS, all four beams are projector. Easiest way to tell.
Thank you confirming my observations! This will help me more easily/quickly identify each type from a distance.

Originally Posted by TexAg91
The advanced lighting package headlights have a placard inside the headlight assembly that says (multibeam LED). I must say these lights are awesome and are worth every penny.
Perfect, I don't see this silver placard on the standard units, so thank you for providing me with another unique identifier!
Old 10-31-2020, 05:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic
Mod

Anyone know if this mod works for the GLE v167?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263297010430?ul_noapp=true

Also mentioned here: https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...eadlights.html
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (11-01-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by Eric Suger

You should ask the vendor.
Old 10-31-2020, 06:16 PM

Received 194 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Originally Posted by Eric Suger

Yes it does. I bought one off of the same seller
Just make sure you send him a message with your vin number before ordering.
cupecoy (11-01-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 08:24 PM

Received 133 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 GLE63S - Edition 55
I've read that entire thread and I'm still unclear what exactly does that mod offer above the factory multi-bean lights? I think each market is slightly different also which confuses things further. Here in Canada, my vehicle has the "Technology Package" that includes Active Multibeam LED lighting System and Active Highbeam Assist (AHA). I read that one of the enhancements is AHA which I already have, not sure what else would be upgraded/added ?
Old 10-31-2020, 08:39 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Originally Posted by chrislk55
I've read that entire thread and I'm still unclear what exactly does that mod offer above the factory multi-bean lights? I think each market is slightly different also which confuses things further. Here in Canada, my vehicle has the "Technology Package" that includes Active Multibeam LED lighting System and Active Highbeam Assist (AHA). I read that one of the enhancements is AHA which I already have, not sure what else would be upgraded/added ?
The following statement is true for at least the USA market.
The automatic high beam is included in the USA for those with advanced lighting package. But the Adaptive high beam is deactivated. This is the feature which allows the high beam to be running on most condition, with certain section "turn off" to prevent blinding oncoming traffic or traffic ahead.
See
for the demo
Old 10-31-2020, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Message your VIN# Vladimir thru eBay - Vladimir is AWESOME on his OBD programming - and he can also let you know what other functions he can OBD program for your Specific MB (like re-programming ECO Start/Stop for example).

When you finalize what you want to have - he emails that Code to his associate in Canada - who program's the module and ships it out to Canadian and US customers.

Great guy - with your VIN# sent to him - he can tell you exactly what can be done.

Please don't bother Vladimir with what-if questions - "what if I buy this MB what can you do" or bother him with "I ordered a 2021 XXXX what can you do" - leave Vladimir to do more programming because that's what COUNTS !
cupecoy (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 01:52 PM

Received 133 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 GLE63S - Edition 55
I contacted the vendor and received the following response regarding the additional functionality gained from the software upgrade:

"It activates the Adaptive Highbeam Assist PLUS system. It makes possible for the first time to drive with the high beams switched on permanently. The lights are dimmed in the area where other vehicles are located through the actuation of a mechanical flap in the LED headlamp module. This makes nighttime driving even safer. The system regulates the headlamp range of the low beams dynamically. Reflective glare, e.g. due to reflective traffic signs, is detected and avoided by selective dimming of the headlamps."

Apparently the factory system has directional LED lighting around corners but I've yet to notice that working...
Old 11-01-2020, 02:29 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Originally Posted by chrislk55
I contacted the vendor and received the following response regarding the additional functionality gained from the software upgrade:

"It activates the Adaptive Highbeam Assist PLUS system. It makes possible for the first time to drive with the high beams switched on permanently. The lights are dimmed in the area where other vehicles are located through the actuation of a mechanical flap in the LED headlamp module. This makes nighttime driving even safer. The system regulates the headlamp range of the low beams dynamically. Reflective glare, e.g. due to reflective traffic signs, is detected and avoided by selective dimming of the headlamps."

Apparently the factory system has directional LED lighting around corners but I've yet to notice that working...
I don't believe the Mercedes Multibeam LED uses mechanical flap.
Instead, it has multiple LEDs within the light, each in charge of different area of the road ahead. By turning on/off individual LEDs, it create a "block out" area similar to using mechanical flap without any movement part.
I believe its a trade off between mechanical flag vs LED module. It reduce the number of movement part which in term increase the live of the light, but the more frequent on/off means more wear on the LED. Personally I think LED is more reliable than mechanical movement parts, so I would say I like the approach Mercedes takes.
(although I am still waiting for Mercedes Digital lights to show up in USA)
mikapen (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by zengshengliu
I don't believe the Mercedes Multibeam LED uses mechanical flap.)
Correct ...it doesn't.

Old 11-08-2020, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 785 Likes on 505 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I’m reaching out to this guy Vlad now. I’m hoping he can also enable the Rear DRL feature which US cars don’t have active.

Does anyone know if there is a VLAD equivalent for Porsche?
Old 11-08-2020, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
[QUOTE Does anyone know if there is a VLAD equivalent for Porsche?[/QUOTE]

Sister Company Audi has several options...might work with Porsche. I used an App and Dongle called OBD Eleven to make a number of changes to our Audi such as Lane Keep. I also purchased a programmed Dongle to activate Traffic Signs (camera needed set up)-not available at purchase. I think it was a European company. It’s been 2-3 years so don’t recall details. You might check Koufatec, the Audi Forum or better yet a Porsche Forum. I would think there’s a good chance that something exists.
stealth.pilot (11-08-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by Ron.s
Sister Company Audi has several options...might work with Porsche. I used an App and Dongle called OBD Eleven to make a number of changes to our Audi such as Lane Keep. I also purchased a programmed Dongle to activate Traffic Signs (camera needed set up)-not available at purchase. I think it was a European company. It’s been 2-3 years so don’t recall details. You might check Koufatec, the Audi Forum or better yet a Porsche Forum. I would think there’s a good chance that something exists.
Thanks. I just emailed them. Their website suggests they support VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda and Bentley. But doesn't mention Porsche. However the 2020 Bentley Continental GT is a Gen 2 Panamera under the skin so if they can code that then you would think they could code my Panamera.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Thanks. I just emailed them. Their website suggests they support VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda and Bentley. But doesn't mention Porsche. However the 2020 Bentley Continental GT is a Gen 2 Panamera under the skin so if they can code that then you would think they could code my Panamera.
Porsche is listed in the center between Koda & Lamborghini
Old 11-08-2020, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Porsche is listed in the center between Koda & Lamborghini
That's great - I don't see it on my screen but hopefully the Safari version of the webpage is out of date.

Did the Pro version enable you to activate the LED Matrix headlights on your Audi? I also want to activate the Rear DRL (rear light bar on during the day).

Old 11-08-2020, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
That's great - I don't see it on my screen but hopefully the Safari version of the webpage is out of date.

Did the Pro version enable you to activate the LED Matrix headlights on your Audi? I also want to activate the Rear DRL (rear light bar on during the day).
It was my wife’s 2018 SQ5 with no Matrix lights. There is a Canadian maybe just starting to do Matrix on the Q8, SQ8’s. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...ights-2960015/

I didn’t get too deep into using OBD Eleven but did about 7-8 modifications. It’s complicated unless someone else has figured it out. Just activating Lane Keep required about 5 different selections in different places. Other simple ones like beep on locking had a few different options like-none-one-two beeps. OBD Eleven puts the process into simple English vs programming language. For the most part users don’t get into very complicated changes...might not be possible. To activate my Camera to read Speed Limits I purchased a plug and play dongle from another firm for $100-$150. Most of my info came from an Audi Forum similar to this one. More advanced changes might come from Germany-maybe ex employees or someone moonlighting. I found the Audi owners to be very much Mod oriented as a group.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
It was my wife’s 2018 SQ5 with no Matrix lights. There is a Canadian maybe just starting to do Matrix on the Q8, SQ8’s. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...ights-2960015/

I didn’t get too deep into using OBD Eleven but did about 7-8 modifications. It’s complicated unless someone else has figured it out. Just activating Lane Keep required about 5 different selections in different places. Other simple ones like beep on locking had a few different options like-none-one-two beeps. OBD Eleven puts the process into simple English vs programming language. For the most part users don’t get into very complicated changes...might not be possible. To activate my Camera to read Speed Limits I purchased a plug and play dongle from another firm for $100-$150. Most of my info came from an Audi Forum similar to this one. More advanced changes might come from Germany-maybe ex employees or someone moonlighting. I found the Audi owners to be very much Mod oriented as a group.
I emailed the other firm too. Kufatec. Their website did show some options for the Panamera with the plug and play dongle, but no features that I don’t already have.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I bought OBD11 from Koufatec and the Dongle for Signs from someone else...don’t remember the name but a European source. If you have the time you can learn a lot more from a German Forum but it’s a hassle translating data to English. If you have a specific change in mind it might help to use a Google search first in the US & then in Germany. To get to Germany you need to get into web extension .de. Google will translate for you. Someone with international experience probably knows an easy way but I fumbled around to figure it out eventually...don’t recall specifics now.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I bought OBD11 from Koufatec and the Dongle for Signs from someone else...don’t remember the name but a European source. If you have the time you can learn a lot more from a German Forum but it’s a hassle translating data to English. If you have a specific change in mind it might help to use a Google search first in the US & then in Germany. To get to Germany you need to get into web extension .de. Google will translate for you. Someone with international experience probably knows an easy way but I fumbled around to figure it out eventually...don’t recall specifics now.
Thanks. Heard back from OBD Eleven. They said their device does not support Porsche. Still waiting on Koufaetc.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:41 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2024 AMG GLE 53, 2023 E450 Cabriolet & 2020 GLE 350
Maybe Mercedes will be able to update the software to activate this feature soon, without having to pay $$$ to a third party?

Autoweek - NHTSA Still Hasn't Ruled on Adaptive Headlights
Ron.s (11-10-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Adaptive headlights

Originally Posted by earlvolfan
Maybe Mercedes will be able to update the software to activate this feature soon, without having to pay $$$ to a third party?

Autoweek - NHTSA Still Hasn't Ruled on Adaptive Headlights
Typical government agency - 7 years studying this since petitioned and still no action, even though it's a safety issue. Guess considering how long it took to get rid of sealed beams they're on record pace.
earlvolfan (11-11-2020)
Old 07-17-2022, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 e350
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Visual difference is subtle.

Sorry to raise this from the dead. Do the standard lights move at all like they did on older models? We have a 16 GLC with the light package(whatever it’s called) and want to have lights able to do that. Corner illumination etc. Not really fixated on auto high beam etc.
Old 07-17-2022, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by indyjim22
Sorry to raise this from the dead. Do the standard lights move at all like they did on older models? We have a 16 GLC with the light package(whatever it’s called) and want to have lights able to do that. Corner illumination etc. Not really fixated on auto high beam etc.
The lights do not physically pivot like on some MLS. In ROW (outside US) there are functional cornering lights on the inside corner of the light modules, but they are dummies in the US. Some say they can discern the light beam shifting in corners, but I do not. That being said, the Advanced lights are very good, made better when coded for full functionality.
Old 07-19-2022, 09:26 PM

Received 201 Likes on 143 Posts
2021 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
The lights do not physically pivot like on some MLS. In ROW (outside US) there are functional cornering lights on the inside corner of the light modules, but they are dummies in the US. Some say they can discern the light beam shifting in corners, but I do not. That being said, the Advanced lights are very good, made better when coded for full functionality.
Agree. Had mine recently coded by @rjautomotive and the intelligent lighting is an amazing technology.
PhilipHanser (07-20-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to Visually Distinguish Between Advanced (Multibeam) & Standard Headlight?