GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Black v. Obsidian Black

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 01:51 AM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Black v. Obsidian Black

I’m super excited that I finalized the build for my GLE 350, which my guy is placing on Monday. I have roughly a month or so before the build is absolutely final, meaning I can’t make any changes anymore. In case you didn’t see my other post about ordering where I listed my build, my build is as follows: obsidian black, black MB-Tex/DINAMICA, aluminum trim, AMG exterior with night package, exterior lighting package, AMG interior, panorama roof, and premium package.

My question(s) are, is there a big difference between obsidian black and black? I know one is metallic and one is not. Right now I have a polar white (non-metallic) E300 and I feel like the paint is not that strong (I have a lot of chips from driving on the highways). I feel like I may have seen both blacks on different cars, but given that Mercedes has many different blacks it’s hard to tell which ones are which.

Also, which black would look better with the night package? I would think maybe the regular black would match better because the black accents are not metallic. But on the other hand the obsidian black would shine if the sun hits it right. Also, does anyone happen to have a picture comparison of both colors, preferably on the GLE?

Thank you in advance.
Old 10-04-2020, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,961 Likes on 2,639 Posts
2019 C63CS
I love black cars and always had black cars, but always metallic black. I stay away from regular black. The nice thing about metallic black is that it plays with the sun. It sparkles in the sun and the metallic flakes hide fine scratches, dirt and swirl marks. I've seen so many regular black cars with swirl marks, scratches and holograms. These things just show so much more on regular black. Metallic black looks good longer. Dirt shows much quicker on regular black. My C63S is obsidian black, with black optics and carbon fiber. The gloss black and metallic black is a nice combination and goes well together. I can't help you with a comparison, but FWIW below is a pic of mine from when I picked it up in Germany. I would say obsidian black is one of the least interesting blacks I've owned. It's a pretty standard metallic black sort of imitating an obsidian. I think Audi does the best blacks. My previous two cars where Phantom Black and Panther Black. Depending on the sun the Phantom Black had a green hue, and the Panther Black a purple/green hue like the fur of a panther. Audi's crystal and pearl effect colors are pretty unique. Nonetheless, I like the obsidian black.

Either way I would highly recommend you install PPF on the front. Rock chips on black cars show very well. You'll eventually end up with a rash of white dots all over your front.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-04-2020 at 02:45 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by superswiss:
bad habit (10-04-2020), makris0000 (10-04-2020), Ron.s (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 10:05 AM

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
2021 53 AMG SUV, 2021 GMC Denali, 2015 Bentley Speed convertable
I currently have a 2018 43 and have ordered a 2021 53SUV. My current car is black and I was trying to decided which black on my new car. I went to the dealer and they had both black cars next to each other. For me, the metallic black had more depth and it just seemed to "pop" more so I went with the metallic black. Either is a great choice and try to see both in person in order to decide.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Was Ferrari Guy
I currently have a 2018 43 and have ordered a 2021 53SUV. My current car is black and I was trying to decided which black on my new car. I went to the dealer and they had both black cars next to each other. For me, the metallic black had more depth and it just seemed to "pop" more so I went with the metallic black. Either is a great choice and try to see both in person in order to decide.

Did you ever get a build date?....they seem to have slipped them back about 30 days but should have a firmer schedule now.

I love Metallic black but we have six months of weather that requires almost a daily wash job. Even a dark Gray hides dirt better but Mercedes has skipped that color.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:03 AM

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
2021 53 AMG SUV, 2021 GMC Denali, 2015 Bentley Speed convertable
Originally Posted by Ron.s
Did you ever get a build date?....they seem to have slipped them back about 30 days but should have a firmer schedule now.

I love Metallic black but we have six months of weather that requires almost a daily wash job. Even a dark Gray hides dirt better but Mercedes has skipped that color.
I ordered this June and still no build date or anything. For taxes I was hoping to get the car this year but it is looking doubtful!
Old 10-04-2020, 12:43 PM

Received 134 Likes on 101 Posts
2023 GLE63S - Edition 55
I just picked up my Obsidian Black with night package. I absolutely love it ! It pretty much looks the same as any other black car, however in bright sun it really shines due to the metallic particles in the paint.
The following users liked this post:
makris0000 (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 05:00 PM

2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
For the obsidian black, what colors or hues does it give off when the sun hits it? My current car tends to sit in the sun a lot so i would think I’d see the hues pretty often. Also does anyone happen to have a pic of the sun shining on an obsidian black vehicle? Back in 2014 I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee in Maximum Steel Metallic (basically dark gray) and that color was the best color I’ve seen/had on a car. During the day it looked dark Gray, when the sun hit it, the car looked like a slate blue, and at night it looked black or dark gray depending on how much light was around. I wish Mercedes had that color or at least a dark Gray for the GLE.

For the build time, I should be getting that info tomorrow after my guy places the order (not sure why he couldn’t do it yesterday but I didn’t ask). I checked a different dealer and he told me that the build date was November 12th with an estimated delivery of late December/early January but I figured that was because they are a smaller dealership. My E300 lease is up in mid January so worst case I’ll have to wait a bit but I’m really hoping I can take advantage of the winter event specials, discounts, rates etc. for the GLE.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
I only do black. I think the obsidian black gives off too much of a silvery sheen in bright light. As one friend told me once, “I want my car so black that it sucks in light.” (Black hole reference)
Plus it’s easier to touch up or fix.

Last edited by BACnMercedes; 10-04-2020 at 10:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BACnMercedes:
Lanzz (10-04-2020), makris0000 (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 07:11 PM

Received 134 Likes on 101 Posts
2023 GLE63S - Edition 55
Originally Posted by makris0000
For the obsidian black, what colors or hues does it give off when the sun hits it? My current car tends to sit in the sun a lot so i would think I’d see the hues pretty often. Also does anyone happen to have a pic of the sun shining on an obsidian black vehicle? Back in 2014 I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee in Maximum Steel Metallic (basically dark gray) and that color was the best color I’ve seen/had on a car. During the day it looked dark Gray, when the sun hit it, the car looked like a slate blue, and at night it looked black or dark gray depending on how much light was around. I wish Mercedes had that color or at least a dark Gray for the GLE.

For the build time, I should be getting that info tomorrow after my guy places the order (not sure why he couldn’t do it yesterday but I didn’t ask). I checked a different dealer and he told me that the build date was November 12th with an estimated delivery of late December/early January but I figured that was because they are a smaller dealership. My E300 lease is up in mid January so worst case I’ll have to wait a bit but I’m really hoping I can take advantage of the winter event specials, discounts, rates etc. for the GLE.
In bright light it still looks very black, there isn't a hue of any other color, you just see these tiny metal particles if you look up close. My wife has a VW Tiguan and they call it deep black pearl. When the GLE is parked next to it they both look black but mine shines a lot more and looks way better IMO.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,961 Likes on 2,639 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by makris0000
For the obsidian black, what colors or hues does it give off when the sun hits it? My current car tends to sit in the sun a lot so i would think I’d see the hues pretty often. Also does anyone happen to have a pic of the sun shining on an obsidian black vehicle? Back in 2014 I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee in Maximum Steel Metallic (basically dark gray) and that color was the best color I’ve seen/had on a car. During the day it looked dark Gray, when the sun hit it, the car looked like a slate blue, and at night it looked black or dark gray depending on how much light was around. I wish Mercedes had that color or at least a dark Gray for the GLE..
Sort of a greyish I would say. Below is I think the best picture I have. Part of the paint is in the sun, so you can see compared to the paint that is more in the shade. This was before the car was properly detailed and PPF applied, so there are some polish holograms from when the dealership cleaned it after it came off the truck.

The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
bad habit (10-05-2020), makris0000 (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,646 Likes on 1,215 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Great picture, @superswiss
Old 10-04-2020, 11:13 PM

2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
The Obsidian Black color is going to look amazing on the GLE with the night package! I appreciate all the photos for comparison. I think I made the right choice going with the Obsidian. I feel like the solid black may get a bit boring after a while because it’ll essentially stay one color but the Obsidian changes color with the sun’s reflection (it may not be much but it still makes the car look different). With my E class, it’s the solid white and it looks the same color no matter how the sun hits it.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well buddy ... you mentioned "you get a lot of chips" which I assume are rock chips and the like.. if you do then Obsidian Black kindof sets you back since "touchup" will look horrible, where standard black touches up very clean.

Each to his own
Old 10-05-2020, 02:29 PM

2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Well buddy ... you mentioned "you get a lot of chips" which I assume are rock chips and the like.. if you do then Obsidian Black kindof sets you back since "touchup" will look horrible, where standard black touches up very clean.

Each to his own
No major chips but they are noticeable on a white car because underneath the paint its black. The car is going to be a lease anyway so its going to go back after 3-4 years so if it has a few chips it'll be fine.