GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Is Macchiato Beige leather practical?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLE 350de AMG
Exclamation Is Macchiato Beige leather practical?

Hi,

I love this Macchiato Beige leather combination with the matt walnut wood, however I’m fearing the fact that it might not be practical for everyday use.
I need to fit two car seats at the back for two young kids (2 and 4) as well.

Any first hand experiences worth sharing please?
Does it stain or get worn out easily?
Any good products out there one can buy to prevent or preserve, or repair for that matter?

Thanks all in advance for your input.

i
Old 11-01-2020, 07:42 PM

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
various
The leather in the GLE isn’t of high quality. The fact that much of the side bolstering is faux leather probably has an advantage here, but I would expect beige to age quicker than a darker leather.

there are also issues with the foam used in the seat base. It deforms at the join line between the genuine leather and MBTex and breaks away, leaving a void. Cosmetic wear as MB would define it. Quality issue as most reasonable people would define it.
The following users liked this post:
Solo wing (08-25-2024)
Old 11-02-2020, 04:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
The best thing to do with Child Seats - is to fold a small acrylic blanket under each car seat - when tings get messy you pull and shake out the blanket (or throw it in the washer).

1. Protector - rather than purchasing a Interior Protection Package from the Dealer - several of my customers have had good reports on this product from Amazon -use a small amount and work it into the leather in small sections

Amazon Amazon

2. For a General Cleaner for Interior incl Carpets:
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-02-2020, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 134 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Jeans can leave blue on the seats.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:37 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,417 Likes on 2,856 Posts
2012 CLS63
Kids will ruin any color......any color I tell ya!
The following 2 users liked this post by hyperion667:
Brian L (10-15-2021), cupecoy (11-03-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 03:18 PM

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
I have the macchiato beige leather seats with 1 messy toddler+carseat in the back. Still looks brand new after 12 months, but to be fair I only have ~3K miles, and I also had a shop apply an interior coating on the interior (probably CeramicPro Leather, but I'm not sure) while they also wrapped and coated the exterior. It also helps that my car seat is rear-facing and the leg rest acts as a barrier between my son's shoes and the seats. Not sure if they'd hold up as well with wet shoes rubbing on them.

My wife bought new jeans recently and some blue dye transfer happened on the seat. She was annoyed but I told her not to worry about it because I figured it's on the coating, not on the leather itself. I probably could have wiped it off myself easily but I had planned on getting an annual detailing done anyway at the same shop soon after, and it now looks brand new again.

As a counterpoint, I had a bit of dye transfer from my own jeans on the driver's seat before I had the interior coated initially. That transfer couldn't be 100% removed by the detail shop, but they did a good job and it's practically imperceptible; I don't think anyone would notice unless they look closely.

Bottom line, I don't regret my choice and I think it makes the car look very open and airy, especially with the panoramic sunroof. I can't comment on how good the seats would look over time or how easy they are to clean without the coating though...

Last edited by maalox; 11-02-2020 at 03:21 PM.
gem444 (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 03:54 PM

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts
2021 Cirrus Silver S580 AMG, 2020 Polar White GLE350
I have the Macchiato beige Napa leather and like the light color. It goes well with the Polar White exterior and helps keep the interior cooler in the intense Florida sun. But, I have had 2 problems. First, I keep my rather thick wallet in my back left pocket and after 5,000 miles, the area on the left side of the seat (where the perforated leather meets the flat leather) was showing wear. The color was wearing through as a result of friction from sliding out of the car with the wallet rubbing the seat. As the leather color started to wear through, a dark brown line developed which was the base leather. I contacted Colourlock and purchased their Macchiato leather dye which matched perfectly. I dabbed it on with their provided sponge, just enough to cover the brown wear line. I gave it 2 coats. You would never notice the repair, it looks that good. I no longer keep my thick wallet in my back pocket when driving the car...problem solved! The second problem is dye transfer from clothing on the back bolster. I used Colourlock heavy duty cleaner and the dye came off. I sealed both areas with their leather sealer and I have had no further problems. I purchased the Colourlock products on their website and the products ship from their headquarters in Great Britain. It took 4 days for the package to get here from the time I placed the order. I don’t like to endorse any product, but their customer service was so good that I thought I would mention it in case anyone else runs into the problem I had.
gem444 (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLE 350de AMG
Originally Posted by TwinCam
I have the Macchiato beige Napa leather and like the light color. It goes well with the Polar White exterior and helps keep the interior cooler in the intense Florida sun. But, I have had 2 problems. First, I keep my rather thick wallet in my back left pocket and after 5,000 miles, the area on the left side of the seat (where the perforated leather meets the flat leather) was showing wear. The color was wearing through as a result of friction from sliding out of the car with the wallet rubbing the seat. As the leather color started to wear through, a dark brown line developed which was the base leather. I contacted Colourlock and purchased their Macchiato leather dye which matched perfectly. I dabbed it on with their provided sponge, just enough to cover the brown wear line. I gave it 2 coats. You would never notice the repair, it looks that good. I no longer keep my thick wallet in my back pocket when driving the car...problem solved! The second problem is dye transfer from clothing on the back bolster. I used Colourlock heavy duty cleaner and the dye came off. I sealed both areas with their leather sealer and I have had no further problems. I purchased the Colourlock products on their website and the products ship from their headquarters in Great Britain. It took 4 days for the package to get here from the time I placed the order. I don’t like to endorse any product, but their customer service was so good that I thought I would mention it in case anyone else runs into the problem I had.
Thank you so much for taking time to provide feedback.
Would you be so kind and post the link to the Colourlock product in the thread here for the record? Would love to purchase it and give it a try if I decided to go for the beige.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,494 Likes on 986 Posts
No more MB:(
Light leather and kids is a disaster. Easy pass.
cupecoy (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 07:43 AM

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts
2021 Cirrus Silver S580 AMG, 2020 Polar White GLE350
Here is the link to Colourlock: https://www.colourlock.com/colourloc...r-kit-dye.html
They have great customer service, contact them by email as mentioned on their website. Note that the color samples shown on their website for Mercedes are just representations. Macchiato looks too dark on the sample page. The actual color is perfect! They note that the color samples shown are not accurate reproductions.
The following 2 users liked this post by TwinCam:
gem444 (11-07-2020), WindInMyHair (06-19-2021)