GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE 450 - Towing questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by GLE450man

2020 GLE450
@GLE450man it looks like you need to tighten your WDH bars quite a bit. You have a rear squat and a nose-high attitude with the GLE, which will reduce your steering control and give you some white knuckles.
You need to tighten the bars to achieve "equal depression at each corner" of your GLE. With the rear end adjusted higher, your trailer will probably be nose high, so you'll need to drop the ball mount on the stinger. (Some people don't like it called a Stinger, but it's the thing that sticks into your receiver.)

Next, you'll want to make sure you don't exceed the GAWR (axle weight ratings, on the driver's doorpost). A trip to the scales and maybe some re-arranging of your cargoes.

Let us know what kind of mileage you get!
Old 12-14-2020, 09:47 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
2021 GLE450 / 2008 C300
GLE450man,

I second milkapen's observation about what appears in the photo to be problems with your weight distribution.

Based on personal experience with my ML350, and towing our trailer (about 4,000# loaded) around the country and Alaska - DO NOT TRUST that whoever installed the weight distribution system did it correctly. I did and was always bothered by the obvious sag in the rear of my tow vehicle when hooked up (noticeable in photo below). But I trusted the trailer guys knew what they were doing.so just went with it. Didn't ever have any problems. When I returned from Alaska I had to deal with some other trailer issues and took into a different dealer, the largest in the area, and on leaving asked the folks about the rear sag and they sort of shrugged their shoulders and said it wasn't that big a deal - so I continued on.

I'm awaiting delivery of a new GLE350 that my dealer ordered months ago and appears to have most all the features I want - except I don't think it has the Airmatic auto-leveling suspension that I had believed was necessary to deal with the rear sag in my vehicle when towing. So, I did lot's of research, including reading the installation manual for my Blue Ox weight distribution system and watching several YouTube videos about the installation and hook-up procedures.

Turns out the the trailer guys who initially installed the system told me to hook on the "sixth" chain link. Manual says "ninth". I went out the other day and hooked the trailer up first at the sixth link and measured the distance from the ground to top of wheel well - then did it again using the ninth link and the difference was about 2 inches in height of the rear and almost put things in level. I'll probably go with 10 links.

Knowing this, I now don't think it's essential my new GLE needs to have the Airmatic system to solve my particular towing weight distribution issue.

You didn't post any comments with your photo so not sure of your experience or concern about these issues, but wanted to take the opportunity to share my experience on this particular issue so the Forum and Google bots will inventory the comment for others having similar concerns to stumble on and hopefully help solve their problem.

.......David

Last edited by DavidBN; 12-14-2020 at 09:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JoelCrow (10-04-2023)
Old 12-14-2020, 02:32 PM

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 GLS580, 2020 Corvette Z51
Weighing the trailer and tow vehicle loaded loaded is needed

I had my trailer and tow vehicle set up by CANAM RV in London Ontario. Andy Thompson one of the owners there, is the most knowlegeable person I know of when it comes to setup and has done many (possibly hundreds) of Mercedes GL GLE ML M GLS and has done thousands of other brands too. You can contact him for assistance he is most helpful even if you don't come to his shop for the setup andy@canamrv.com. You must determine the loads are balanced and that you do not overload each axle load posted in the door jamb. You need to adjust the weight distribution with the trailer and tow vehicle loaded for travel, and full propane tanks, fresh water, food and everything you take on your trip. Weigh tow vehicle on a truck scale and look at front axle, rear axle and the trailer axle(s) weights. You must not exceed the maximums in the door for the tow vehicle. Next disconnect the trailer and weigh the tow vehicle only to determine if the trailer is below its maximum allowable weight. An optional third weigh (do it before disconnecting the trailer) with the weight distribution disengaged will tell you how much weight is needed to move to the front axle of the tow vehicle. Ther are forms available on line if you search on how to do this and track your weights. To do a rough set up before you go over the scales put the GLE on a level surface and in normal mode measure the wheel well height to the ground. Next connect the trailer and engage the weight distribution bars and remeasure the wheel well height to the ground on the GLE. You want to see the drop be nearly the same in the front and rear ie. with the load, the reduction in wheel well height front and back at 3/4 inch or nearly the same. You adjust the front and back drop tightening/loosening the weight distribution and changing by the angle of the stinger by adding or removing washers. Ideally the weight distribution bars should be near level too. You want to be as level as possible overall with the combination. Here is my example note the wheel well gaps to the top of the tire.

Nice and level ready for ther road.

Last edited by marchgroupinc; 12-14-2020 at 02:38 PM. Reason: new additional info.
The following 4 users liked this post by marchgroupinc:
Collins350 (12-14-2020), mikapen (12-15-2020), TaoTao (03-20-2022), Timmay (02-22-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 450 GLE
Originally Posted by GLE450man

2020 GLE450
I have the identical set up, same car, similar trailer However, I'm struggling to get the brake controller set up. I asked my MB dealer but they have no idea, and are simply refusing to help. I already have an after market Curt brake controller I used in my last car. It was very easy to set up previously (ford explorer) and I want to put it into the new car.

I'm not keen on using the wireless one for several reasons.

Any way to get a definitive answer from MB about how to install? Because the trailer weight is enough to mandate the use of the brake controller (here in California) I'm feeling quite annoyed at MB for selling me a specifically optioned 450 with towing and for 12 mo the now, I have had to rent a pickup truck to tow the trailer anytime I wanted to tow it.

Because MB service won't help, I will need to install it myself, but with airbag under drivers side dash, I really don't want to go pulling things apart down there.

Any guidance or suggestions would be much appreciated

John

Old 02-21-2021, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I have used the Tekonsha RF wireless brake controller for a decade now. It's a great option. Most of the negative comments on the RF were simply uninformed.
I started with a W164 (2010 GLE350 Bluetec), and tied into the factory supplied pigtail under the dash. See the attached bulletin for W/X164 instructions, which are the same as W166. I don't know if they are still accurate for the V167 - maybe somebody can chime in here?

My experience with the RF controller is excellent. I called Tekonsha and they immediately connected me to an Engineer, who told me that the RF is Tekonsha's most advanced controller. I believe it controls the trailer better than a wired controller, maybe because the accelerometer that senses braking is attached to the trailer itself, instead of 15' away in the cab. It's most noticeable at slow speeds and tight corners.

And BTW, if you are concerned about losing wireless connectivity from the controller to the brakes, the only function the hand-held controller has is to make adjustments in gain. Once you have it set, you can throw it away and your brakes will work just as you set them.

I attached the M-B bulletin only as an example of what M-B provided on previous models. It may not be current, but maybe you can show it to a M-B shop to see if they can find an updated version for V167 cars.

Try calling Tekonsha and talking to an Engineer to see if they can address your concerns.
Let us know what you find.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
164_Brake_Controller[1].pdf (146.8 KB, 139 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by mikapen:
Joe Pepper (08-24-2021), Timmay (02-22-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 01:31 PM

I can confirm the wiring setup is the same for the 167. I did mine on the similar GLS 580. I use the Tekonsha Prodigy 2. You don't have to touch the airbag to mount the controller, just partially remove the cover panel around it. Maybe you should re-read this thread to get the info. you need on where to install it and there is more information on the GLS X167 thread also.
https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class...ake+controller.

If you don't want wireless, the Tekonsha Prodigy 2 is only $150 and if you buy the Mercedes wiring adapter with it it is plug and play.
Timmay (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 09:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2021 GLE53 SUV
Great advice mikapen,

I will have to look at Tekonsha controllers. In all my years, I have yet to pull a trailer as this GLE will be our first vehicle that is not a sedan. The wife wants to get a trailer for traveling so this will be quite exciting.
Old 08-24-2021, 05:02 PM

GLE 450 Coupe
Question about Prodigy

I have the Prodigy brake controller and it was a hassle getting it synched up. Unfortunately MB did a reset or update to my vehicle and wiped it out. Does anyone know the steps required to get it synched again? It’s hard to find the needle in the haystack person at the company who knows how to synch it with a MB.

Originally Posted by marchgroupinc
The towing package also includes the 7 pin electrical connector to the trailer, prewired brake controller plug under the drivers side dash, and some integrated software to help control sway, identify if a trailer is connected to disable some normal features like blind spot detection and confirm trailer lights are all operating. The tow weight restrictions are maximum numbers so tow up to those limits and do not forget about tongue weights also. Tongue weights should be 10-15 % of the trailer weight to avoid trailer sway. Best to check all these on a truck scale to confirm the maximums are not exceeded and also confirm individual axle weights are not exceeded. A weight distribution hitch is recommended and anti-sway devices for larger trailers. You will need a brake controller for anything over 3000 lbs approximately and I recommend a proportional brake controller. I use a Tekonsha Prodigy 2 and you can plug connect directly to the GLE prewire under the dash. You will also need some tow mirrors if you have a wider trailer. The GLE 450 has better brakes than a lot of 1/2 ton pick ups and is a very capable tow vehicle.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Pepper
I have the Prodigy brake controller and it was a hassle getting it synched up. Unfortunately MB did a reset or update to my vehicle and wiped it out. Does anyone know the steps required to get it synched again? It’s hard to find the needle in the haystack person at the company who knows how to synch it with a MB.
I don't have the Prodigy RF sorry can't help.
Old 08-24-2021, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Joe Pepper
If you have the Prodigy RF, and it's been paired once, the car has nothing to do with it. It's a matter of pairing, losing that pairing and repairing.
I have heard of problems people had with European tow vehicles, which basically is a result of the Can-Bus system that they use throughout the car. In it, the system looks for devices such as engine controls, door locks, wipers, and trailer connections. It sends query signals every few seconds, looking for a participating source, and then establishes a connection.
As I understand some online forum complaints, if you have LED trailer lights, or some other interface with the Can-Bus, then there's not enough resistance for the system to see them. I have heard that, in this case you need to pair your controller using a vehicle that doesn't have Can-Bus. I think all you do is plug into another car's 7 pin, provide 12 volts to the handset, step on the brakes and pair. Then you can use the Mercedes as before.
But once the controller is paired, then the car has nothing to do with it. It's a matter of a failed pairing.
This is all hearsay for me, so I'll just have to wish you good luck.
Call Tekonsha directly and talk to one of their engineers for help. Etrailer is not the source in this instance.
I have that unit, and I have never had any trouble, two MLs later.

Last edited by mikapen; 08-24-2021 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-20-2022, 09:52 PM

ML350
What’s the model of this airstream?

I had my trailer and tow vehicle set up by CANAM RV in London Ontario. Andy Thompson one of the owners there, is the most knowlegeable person I know of when it comes to setup and has done many (possibly hundreds) of Mercedes GL GLE ML M GLS and has done thousands of other brands too. You can contact him for assistance he is most helpful even if you don't come to his shop for the setup andy@canamrv.com. You must determine the loads are balanced and that you do not overload each axle load posted in the door jamb. You need to adjust the weight distribution with the trailer and tow vehicle loaded for travel, and full propane tanks, fresh water, food and everything you take on your trip. Weigh tow vehicle on a truck scale and look at front axle, rear axle and the trailer axle(s) weights. You must not exceed the maximums in the door for the tow vehicle. Next disconnect the trailer and weigh the tow vehicle only to determine if the trailer is below its maximum allowable weight. An optional third weigh (do it before disconnecting the trailer) with the weight distribution disengaged will tell you how much weight is needed to move to the front axle of the tow vehicle. Ther are forms available on line if you search on how to do this and track your weights. To do a rough set up before you go over the scales put the GLE on a level surface and in normal mode measure the wheel well height to the ground. Next connect the trailer and engage the weight distribution bars and remeasure the wheel well height to the ground on the GLE. You want to see the drop be nearly the same in the front and rear ie. with the load, the reduction in wheel well height front and back at 3/4 inch or nearly the same. You adjust the front and back drop tightening/loosening the weight distribution and changing by the angle of the stinger by adding or removing washers. Ideally the weight distribution bars should be near level too. You want to be as level as possible overall with the combination. Here is my example note the wheel well gaps to the top of the tire.

Nice and level ready for ther road.
I am switching from ML350 to GLE450, and planning to get an airstream as well.
Old 03-21-2022, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by TaoTao
I am switching from ML350 to GLE450, and planning to get an airstream as well.
25 foot Eddie Bauer FB 25 International. My previous tow vehicle for this was a 2014 ML 350 Diesel
Old 03-21-2022, 07:16 PM

ML350
25 foot Eddie Bauer FB 25 International. My previous tow vehicle for this was a 2014 ML 350 Diesel
thank you for the response! My current car is 2014 ML350 Diesel, getting my new GLE450 in April which I have been waited for 5 months. I also live in Ontario. Your information about the London dealer is very helpful.
I was actually considering 23 or under airstream but really want twin beds which i don’t see on these ones 23 or under. 25 foot ones have the option.
How is gas consumption and towing experience (like uphill and downhill) with your new GLE?

thanks
Old 03-21-2022, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by TaoTao
thank you for the response! My current car is 2014 ML350 Diesel, getting my new GLE450 in April which I have been waited for 5 months. I also live in Ontario. Your information about the London dealer is very helpful.
I was actually considering 23 or under airstream but really want twin beds which i don’t see on these ones 23 or under. 25 foot ones have the option.
How is gas consumption and towing experience (like uphill and downhill) with your new GLE?

thanks
I now have a GLS580. Tows awesome. This is my first long tow avg. 10to 11 us mpg or 22l/100km. My non tow avg. Is 12l/100km. V8 twin turbo is thirsty but tons of power.

Last edited by marchgroupinc; 03-21-2022 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Mpg
Old 03-21-2022, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My previous tow vehicle was also a 2014 ML350 diesel, and before that a 2010. My trailer is a Lance 27 footer, 6000#.
I haven't even hitched up yet. How does your 580 compare to your diesel in the towing realm?
I expect my 53 to shift a lot more on inclines.
I too traveled to Can-Am for setup and hitch reenforcement on the 2010, learned a lot and will transfer it all to the new tow vehicle.

Last edited by mikapen; 03-21-2022 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-21-2022, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by mikapen
My previous tow vehicle was also a 2014 ML350 diesel, and before that a 2010. My trailer is a Lance 27 footer, 6000#.
I haven't even hitched up yet. How does your 580 compare to your diesel in the towing realm?
I expect my 53 to shift a lot more on inclines.
I too traveled to Can-Am for setup and hitch reenforcement on the 2010, learned a lot and will transfer it all to the new tow vehicle.
Canam set the new one up too. It stays in 8th gear mainly . Down to 6 on inclines.
Old 03-21-2022, 07:45 PM

The 580GLS is more competent overall. I tow in sport suspension mode. Works for me.
mikapen (03-22-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 10:12 PM

ML350
I now have a GLS580. Tows awesome. This is my first long tow avg. 10to 11 us mpg or 22l/100km. My non tow avg. Is 12l/100km. V8 twin turbo is thirsty but tons of power.
sounds great 👍🏻 thanks for sharing the info🙂