GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2020 GLE 350 won't accelerate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2020 | 01:51 PM

gle350
Exclamation 2020 GLE 350 won't accelerate

Los Angeles, CA - I have a 2020 GLE 350 purchased last Dec and so far have had so many problems. The first issue was keyless go where doors didn't recognize the keyfob even I was next to the door. Went to service several times, changed batteries and later dealership ended up replacing all keyfobs so that solved the problem. My biggest problem is that the car won't accelerate even gas pedal is pressed down to the floor sometimes in lower speed (10-20 mph). My car has 5,000 miles and this problem has happened twice already. Dealership has checked the vehicle twice and because it didn't happen during their service, they said they couldn't do anything. Per service advisor, "cannot duplicate the problem and therefore cannot fix". No error code was found in the system and some tests they ran yielded nothing. During those two incidents, I had to pull over and turn off the engine and then I was able to drive normal again. Has anyone experienced this problem before?
The following 3 users liked this post by Rod Yoon:
abanales33 (02-10-2021), Gazdić (07-15-2023), TUBSME (12-14-2020)
Old 12-04-2020 | 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Rod Yoon
Los Angeles, CA - I have a 2020 GLE 350 purchased last Dec and so far have had so many problems. The first issue was keyless go where doors didn't recognize the keyfob even I was next to the door. Went to service several times, changed batteries and later dealership ended up replacing all keyfobs so that solved the problem. My biggest problem is that the car won't accelerate even gas pedal is pressed down to the floor sometimes in lower speed (10-20 mph). My car has 5,000 miles and this problem has happened twice already. Dealership has checked the vehicle twice and because it didn't happen during their service, they said they couldn't do anything. Per service advisor, "cannot duplicate the problem and therefore cannot fix". No error code was found in the system and some tests they ran yielded nothing. During those two incidents, I had to pull over and turn off the engine and then I was able to drive normal again. Has anyone experienced this problem before?
Make a video with your phone showing your foot on the accelerator and pan to the speed....back and forth a few times. Then you should get past the “can’t replicate”.
The following users liked this post:
Rod Yoon (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020 | 03:49 PM

2023 GLE450, 2021 E350 / Used to drive: 2019 E300, 2021 + 2020 GLE350, 2019 E450 Wagon(s), 2017 E300
I had it once - same scenario - never occurred again, so I did not follow up. I did not get a check engine light when it happened - so, assuming there were no codes set.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lanzz:
Rod Yoon (12-04-2020), TUBSME (12-14-2020)
Old 12-04-2020 | 04:26 PM

bmw 535i xdrive
I had this happen as well, Car was in ECO mode when it happened & I had to pull over & restart. Never happened again but I took the car to the dealer to document. No codes; no signs of any problems. However, they updated the drivetrain software while I was there and I'm not sure but it actually feels different. I used to feel like it could happen again. if this is pervasive across the the GLE 350 line, MB should be aware of it. Just wondering if the software update corrected the problem? I was lucky that I was able to pull over and restart. Anyone having the issue should take the time to have it documented. (BTW - I started another thread regarding the same issue)
Rod Yoon (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020 | 06:35 PM

GLS450 (2024), C300 (2023), EQE350+ (2024)
It happened to my first 2020 GLS450 (very similar to GLE) on 2nd day of ownership in ECO mode and 4th day regardless of the driving mode, followed by check engine light coming on. The car was towed to the dealership. A week later was notified by the dealer that the part(s) needed would take 15 weeks (no kidding) to arrive. MBUSA repurchased the car a few weeks later and refunded 100% including registration, etc. 2nd GLS seems to be holding up for now.
Old 12-04-2020 | 06:39 PM

GLE 350, C300, GLC 300
I had this happen a couple of times...not saying that this is what your problem is, but just mentioning my experience...I was not used to having the gear shift lever on the steering wheel column. The second time it happened, I noticed that I must have accidentally bumped my lever and put it into Neutral. The first time it happened, was making a left turn at an intersection and got stuck. Couldn't accelerate. Turned off the car (in the middle of the intersection) which automatically put it into P. Started the car and put it into Drive and the problem was solved.

Again...not saying that this is your issue, but wanted to mention my experience.
Old 12-04-2020 | 07:09 PM

gle350
Thanks for the suggestion. I spoke to the service advisor this morning and she said it won't really help unless the problem occurs during their service. I better leave my car for them to drive until they find the issue. So not fair.
Old 12-04-2020 | 07:11 PM

gle350
Originally Posted by Lanzz
I had it once - same scenario - never occurred again, so I did not follow up. I did not get a check engine light when it happened - so, assuming there were no codes set.
No codes at all. That is what puzzles me and I just hope this goes away.
Lanzz (12-05-2020)
Old 12-04-2020 | 07:14 PM

gle350
Originally Posted by monwen
I had this happen as well, Car was in ECO mode when it happened & I had to pull over & restart. Never happened again but I took the car to the dealer to document. No codes; no signs of any problems. However, they updated the drivetrain software while I was there and I'm not sure but it actually feels different. I used to feel like it could happen again. if this is pervasive across the the GLE 350 line, MB should be aware of it. Just wondering if the software update corrected the problem? I was lucky that I was able to pull over and restart. Anyone having the issue should take the time to have it documented. (BTW - I started another thread regarding the same issue)
I am glad I am not the only one with the same issue. Sometimes those service advisors make you think that you are the only one with the issue and causing the problem. I will check on your thread as well and forward this to the service as a ref. I will post again once I go through the same problem. Thanks for your response.
Old 12-04-2020 | 07:16 PM

bmw 535i xdrive
Definitely not user error on my part. Happened twice.
Old 02-10-2021 | 12:42 PM

2020 GLE 350
Going through this now. Service department stated nothing they can do. Possible software update in Q2 but no guarantees it will fix my issue. 5x this has occurred in 13 months. Not good. Check engine light does go on. Service department clears codes and returns my vehicle to me.
Old 02-10-2021 | 04:27 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Originally Posted by abanales33
Going through this now. Service department stated nothing they can do. Possible software update in Q2 but no guarantees it will fix my issue. 5x this has occurred in 13 months. Not good. Check engine light does go on. Service department clears codes and returns my vehicle to me.

Have you brought it in to the dealer each time to document? If yes, you qualify of CA's lemon law. If not, why not?

See below.

How Lemon Law Works

A purchaser or lessee of a motor vehicle (car, truck, motorcycle, RV, etc.) has various legal rights under both state and federal law if the vehicle does not perform as expected under the manufacturer’s express warranty. For example, the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act, also known as the “California Lemon Law”, requires manufacturers to repurchase or replace vehicles that their dealers were unable to repair after a reasonable number of repair attempts. Typically, a car may be considered a “Lemon” if:
  • A vehicle has been in the shop for a cumulative total of 30 or more days in the first 18 months or 18,000 miles, or
  • The dealer was unable to repair a serious safety problem after two or more attempts, or
  • The dealer was unable to repair any other defect after three or more attempts
It is important to note that the above conditions are not always necessary or sufficient. It is best that you speak with a knowledgeable consumer rights attorney for legal advice about your vehicle’s issues.
Old 02-12-2021 | 03:35 PM

2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
I had this happen with my E300, I would bring it in to have them check it out and would get the same response you got. I noticed it mostly whenever I was doing a turn/curve but on the 3rd time I had them check it out they told me its the ESC and it's supposed to do that. It's pretty scary when it happens when making a U-turn.
Old 02-12-2021 | 03:40 PM

2020 GLE 350
Originally Posted by TexAg91

Have you brought it in to the dealer each time to document? If yes, you qualify of CA's lemon law. If not, why not?

See below.

How Lemon Law Works

A purchaser or lessee of a motor vehicle (car, truck, motorcycle, RV, etc.) has various legal rights under both state and federal law if the vehicle does not perform as expected under the manufacturer’s express warranty. For example, the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act, also known as the “California Lemon Law”, requires manufacturers to repurchase or replace vehicles that their dealers were unable to repair after a reasonable number of repair attempts. Typically, a car may be considered a “Lemon” if:
  • A vehicle has been in the shop for a cumulative total of 30 or more days in the first 18 months or 18,000 miles, or
  • The dealer was unable to repair a serious safety problem after two or more attempts, or
  • The dealer was unable to repair any other defect after three or more attempts
It is important to note that the above conditions are not always necessary or sufficient. It is best that you speak with a knowledgeable consumer rights attorney for legal advice about your vehicle’s issues.
Yes. 3x to the dealer. Total 19 days in the service department. They could not recreate the problem. They stated a software update due in Q2. No exact date. Unknown if this will be a fix to my issue.
I have discussed with an attorney. I also requested a buyback through MBUSA. The advice was to wait for MBUSA to officially accept or decline my buyback request. Can take 4-6 weeks before we receive a response. Meanwhile my 1 year olds, $60k+ Benz sits. Sad to say.
Old 04-08-2021 | 07:03 PM

2020 GLE 350
It' happened to me as well, on my 2020 GLE 350, twice. The first time, I was in the middle of a VERY busy road, but I was lucky there were no cars coming! My husband would OWN Mercedes after my death, being hit. My SUV is in service now. This needs to be considered a recall, if they can figure out why this Is happening. I am quite surprised and glad, nobody's been hurt by now. When the car is in DRIVE, It should drive.
Old 04-08-2021 | 09:36 PM

bmw 535i xdrive
I also had it happen twice; both times after the light turned green and in the middle of an intersection. I brought it to the attention of my service advisor and brought the car in so it could be documented. While there, he told me there was a software upgrade and he hoped that would fix it. That was about six months ago so I’m hoping that’s it for now. According to the threads, this does seem to be an issue and MB should address it or recall.
Old 04-11-2021 | 05:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Yes, there is "Lemon Law" request process thru MBUSA - and that request gets assigned by MBUSA retained 3rd party Legal Beagles for r3ecommendation Yes-Or-No for your situation in your State. The "Lemon" Process is entirely out of Your-Dealers-Hands once you make that request thru MBUS

If you are having a "safety issue" like what's described here - BEFORE calling MBUS - ask Dealer Sales Department if "Trade Assistance" could work better for you to move to another same or different New MB.

Your Dealer starts that Process - which is NOT Lemon Law - and see if Dealer Sales Dept with that Trade Assist will be better solution.

Once you make a Lemon Law Request to MB - then a Dealer CANT work on Trade Assist.
Lanzz (04-21-2021)
Old 04-11-2021 | 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No more MB:(
I'm surprised this happens. The GLE is such a reliable and amazing vehicle, first I've heard of this type of issue. I'm sure they will take care of this. They always do.
E55Greasemonkey (04-22-2021)
Old 04-21-2021 | 11:58 AM

c300
This has happened to me twice so far. Once in a not so busy area, and the 2nd was during rush hour.

2nd time it eco stopped before coming to a complete stop at the light so when I hit the throttle the car crept into the middle of the intersection. Turning off eco stop during this situation does not work. Vehicle has to be shut off completely and restarted.

I hope they come up with a solution, because someone will eventually get hurt.

Our local dealer suggested that the MB ecu does not know how to handle load such as the air conditioner or other accessories so this could be the problem.

They also asked if we drove with 2 feet, and wanted to watch my wife drive to be sure...

I am not sure where they come up with these false ideas.

Last edited by 190mbenz; 04-21-2021 at 12:06 PM.
Lanzz (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021 | 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No more MB:(
Originally Posted by 190mbenz
This has happened to me twice so far. Once in a not so busy area, and the 2nd was during rush hour.

2nd time it eco stopped before coming to a complete stop at the light so when I hit the throttle the car crept into the middle of the intersection. Turning off eco stop during this situation does not work. Vehicle has to be shut off completely and restarted.

Our local dealer suggested that the MB ecu does not know how to handle load such as the air conditioner or other accessories so this could be the problem.

They also asked if we drove with 2 feet, and wanted to watch my wife drive to be sure...

They will resolve this. GLE is a solid SUV, one of MB's finest ever. For the most part flawless.
The following 2 users liked this post by places:
E55Greasemonkey (04-22-2021), FireRx Captain (10-04-2024)
Old 04-21-2021 | 01:35 PM

2023 GLE450, 2021 E350 / Used to drive: 2019 E300, 2021 + 2020 GLE350, 2019 E450 Wagon(s), 2017 E300
places, I do not share your confidence in an easy resolution. Since there is no code set and nothing in the ECU in history that suggests an issue, the troubleshooting would be quite difficult. And given the time-based compensation for warranty work, few dealers will devote the kind of time to finding an issue that doesn't set a code and isn't documented elsewhere. It hasn't happened to me again in almost a year, but I do worry about it, because as others have pointed out, it could cause an accident.
Old 04-21-2021 | 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by Lanzz
places, I do not share your confidence in an easy resolution.
places was sarcastic.
Lanzz (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021 | 03:00 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Is this the same as the loss of power situation reported on this forum section?
Old 04-21-2021 | 05:57 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Originally Posted by 190mbenz

Do you own a GLE 350, or 450 with the 48 Volt system? What exactly happened? Did the engine stall and stop, or was it running but would not increase RPM?

I don't know who your local dealer is, but I would look to take my business elsewhere...or at a minimum request a different service advisor. The statement, "MB ecu does not know how to handle load such as the air conditioner or other accessories" is total BS. It does it the system is operating correctly. If it's not, then that dealership should have reach back in MB engineering and service bulletins to help them diagnose the problem. If the engine was running and would not increase its RPM when depressing the accelerator, then it means something is wrong with the accelerator position sensor. (Modern cars have a resistive sensor on the accelerator cable that measure the peddle position to tell the ECU to increase engine RPM, vice a cable...it's "drive by wire". Thus if the engine won't increase RPM despite depressing the peddle, then it's not getting a signal (an electrical issue). If the engine stalls, and won't restart, then that's likely some kind of ignition/electrical issue. Grounding issues can cause all kinds of weird intermittent electrical issues...I'd recommend the "dealer" start there.
The following 2 users liked this post by TexAg91:
Dreamzz2004 (04-22-2021), FireRx Captain (10-04-2024)
Old 04-21-2021 | 08:29 PM

bmw 535i xdrive
I had it happen twice last year. I started into an intersection and just at about the time the car was about to go into the next highest gear, it just died. Seemed like it was probably something to do with ECO start; luckily I was able to start the car again in each case before anything happened. Took the car to the dealer to document the incident and while I was there they did a software upgrade. Seems to have worked.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2020 GLE 350 won't accelerate