GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Navigation Map Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 10:05 PM

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
2024 GLE 580
Navigation Map Upgrade

On my new 2021 GLE450 built in February the map updates are dated 2019. Not sure why they are using old maps at factory but so far no updates have come through the system as they did on my 2020 GLE450. I went to the Mercedes Me web and downloaded all the updates successfully from the site, however when I insert the USB drive nothing happens in the car other then a pop up telling me there are no new songs. How do I get the maps updated?
Old 02-11-2021, 08:18 AM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts
2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by bkushner
On my new 2021 GLE450 built in February the map updates are dated 2019. Not sure why they are using old maps at factory but so far no updates have come through the system as they did on my 2020 GLE450. I went to the Mercedes Me web and downloaded all the updates successfully from the site, however when I insert the USB drive nothing happens in the car other then a pop up telling me there are no new songs. How do I get the maps updated?
You have to go into the menu and tell it to update the maps.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:05 PM

2024 GLE 580
I have it set to allow automatic updates.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,943 Likes on 2,631 Posts
2019 C63CS
Not sure why the updates are not coming through for you, but my C63 also came with old maps. In my case, though, I did European Delivery so the factory had installed the European maps, and then the VPC installed the US maps. Shortly after my Mercedes me services got activated, I got two OTA updates in a row to bring the maps up to date, and I performend a manual update a bit later to update the voice recognition and the remaining regions. I've done a combination of OTA and manual updates and at least the latest COMAND system automatically recognizes the update as soon as I insert the SD card. I've never done it with a USB stick, but it should work the same. I remember one person had issues with this and turned out his USB stick had previously been partitioned using GPT instead of MBR. The system doesn't recognize GPT. If I remember correctly their car had MBUX as well.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 01:40 PM

Received 343 Likes on 183 Posts
2023 GLE 450 4matic
It's not a difficult thing to do but I'd think the dealer should have the latest everything uploaded and ready before delivery.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:41 PM

2024 GLE 580
I don’t believe I have a. Sd card slot???
Old 02-11-2021, 01:43 PM

2023 GLE 450 4matic
I did the last available map update by loading it to a USB drive and transferring it to the car.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Lucky 777
I did the last available map update by loading it to a USB drive and transferring it to the car.
Do you know haw your USB was partitioned?
In post #4 above, @superswiss said "I remember one person had issues with this and turned out his USB stick had previously been partitioned using GPT instead of MBR. The system doesn't recognize GPT." -
This is a problem I have inflicted on myself in the past.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:08 PM

2024 GLE 580
I don’t recall but the program told me to format ntfs or exfat
Old 02-11-2021, 02:32 PM

2023 GLE 450 4matic
Yes....NTFS
Old 02-11-2021, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I don’t recall but the program told me to format ntfs or exfat
That's not it. NTFS and exFAT are file systems. We are talking about the partitions. A drive can either be partitioned using a GUID Partition Table (GPT) or a Master Boot Record (MBR). That's something you pick in the partition manager. Normally USB sticks come partitioned and formatted already and they generally come partitioned with MBR, but I suppose that's not guaranteed. You'll have to open up the partition manager and take a look and then repartition it if it currently uses GPT.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (02-11-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 10:48 PM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
GLE580, Cardinal Red
One of the complications with vehicle navigation systems is the delay it takes to update maps. The mapping is done by mapping organizations (usually government), then companies get updates from them, then the map companies have to update their databases, then the auto companies have to get those updates and apply them to their 'relatively unique' navigation systems, and test them, then they can finally put out an update to their maps in the vehicle. There was a time when the first step, getting the map updates to the actual mapping database that was the foundation for all GPS systems took a year or more, which meant that the actual navigation systems were, generally, a couple of years behind the actual changes on the ground. Not sure how much more rapidly that process happens today, I know there are organizations (like Google) that are doing their own map updates, but I expect that depending on the source of the mapping data that MB uses it may in fact take a year or more to get data into the vehicle. Don't expect that 'new' intersection or Starbucks to be in your navigation in your vehicle as rapidly as google or apple maps, and even they will likely be quite a bit behind. Garmin, one of the most advanced and fast responding GPS companies was often 18 months behind the actual changes to the infrastructure...

We are accustomed to things being instantly available, but the complex nature of mapping data, then getting that updated data into a mechanism that can be delivered to GPS/navigation deliverers, then having those deliverers make it available to their clients is not speedy...
Old 02-12-2021, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 321 Likes on 237 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by tomb73
One of the complications with vehicle navigation systems is the delay it takes to update maps. The mapping is done by mapping organizations (usually government), then companies get updates from them, then the map companies have to update their databases, then the auto companies have to get those updates and apply them to their 'relatively unique' navigation systems, and test them, then they can finally put out an update to their maps in the vehicle. There was a time when the first step, getting the map updates to the actual mapping database that was the foundation for all GPS systems took a year or more, which meant that the actual navigation systems were, generally, a couple of years behind the actual changes on the ground. Not sure how much more rapidly that process happens today, I know there are organizations (like Google) that are doing their own map updates, but I expect that depending on the source of the mapping data that MB uses it may in fact take a year or more to get data into the vehicle. Don't expect that 'new' intersection or Starbucks to be in your navigation in your vehicle as rapidly as google or apple maps, and even they will likely be quite a bit behind. Garmin, one of the most advanced and fast responding GPS companies was often 18 months behind the actual changes to the infrastructure...

We are accustomed to things being instantly available, but the complex nature of mapping data, then getting that updated data into a mechanism that can be delivered to GPS/navigation deliverers, then having those deliverers make it available to their clients is not speedy...
The maps for 2019+ cars are updated regularly, and you can download them and install them yourself. I just updated my maps for the fifth time since January 2019. Map currency is much improved with this system.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
I have it set to allow automatic updates.
That's not nearly the same as manually updating. 1: it can take a month or more to have an update pushed to your car. 2: it only updates one map region. I always update all regions so I'm prepared for the next road trip. 2: Automatic update doesn't update the voice files, so your turn-by-turn instructions don't work right for updated roads. It's really advisable to debug manual updates. Once you have a USB stick that works, you're set.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:17 PM

GLE580, Cardinal Red
Originally Posted by whoover
The maps for 2019+ cars are updated regularly, and you can download them and install them yourself. I just updated my maps for the fifth time since January 2019. Map currency is much improved with this system.
Understood that 'updates' happen much more frequently than they used to... In general, though I would still expect that the 'update' would not likely include that 6 month old change to the interstate ramp near you. Garmin updates every 3 months, for the lifetime of the device, for their GPSes (still have and use a Nuvi when I travel and rent a car) and their updates did not include the completed construction of changes to the roads that were less than a year old. they get their mapping info from Navteq which gets THEIR data from multiple sources (some private some government). Even things like Google, Apple maps, etc, do not have changes to the interstate that have been finalized recently. Not sure how quickly they are responding to changes at this point, but would still expect the 'map updates' from an auto manufacturer to lag the changes on the ground by some measurable amount of time. Gotta capture the change (again, usually a government mapping thing, and we know how the government works), propagate it into the map database (most companies source their mapping info from the same , then to the auto company, then (finally) to the consumer. The good news is that those kind of changes are not instantaneous, and we drivers generally can figure out that there are 3 lanes now and not two, or that the exit is a bit different from the map... A bigger problem is following the gps to the 'nearest' Starbucks only to drive past one newer on the way to it! :-)
Old 02-12-2021, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS

Understood that 'updates' happen much more frequently than they used to... In general, though I would still expect that the 'update' would not likely include that 6 month old change to the interstate ramp near you. Garmin updates every 3 months, for the lifetime of the device, for their GPSes (still have and use a Nuvi when I travel and rent a car) and their updates did not include the completed construction of changes to the roads that were less than a year old. they get their mapping info from Navteq which gets THEIR data from multiple sources (some private some government). Even things like Google, Apple maps, etc, do not have changes to the interstate that have been finalized recently. Not sure how quickly they are responding to changes at this point, but would still expect the 'map updates' from an auto manufacturer to lag the changes on the ground by some measurable amount of time. Gotta capture the change (again, usually a government mapping thing, and we know how the government works), propagate it into the map database (most companies source their mapping info from the same , then to the auto company, then (finally) to the consumer. The good news is that those kind of changes are not instantaneous, and we drivers generally can figure out that there are 3 lanes now and not two, or that the exit is a bit different from the map... A bigger problem is following the gps to the 'nearest' Starbucks only to drive past one newer on the way to it! :-)
The maps MB and all the Germans use come from HERE. HERE is the former NavTeq which was bought by Nokia and then sold to BMW, Daimler and Audi. Like Google, HERE has their own cars equipped with cameras and GPS to map the world. They drive around and update their maps, and once updated it'll be in the next update to the car. Example, they rebuilt a couple of overpasses near my house and changed the onramps as well as added a brand new exit that makes it quicker to get to my house. Once the work was done and the new roads were open they were in the next update that got pushed to my car. I think you have a very outdated perspective. HERE is actually very active in the autonomous driving field and the main thing they are working on is build high quality digital maps that are up to date for self-driving cars that need the maps to be accurate. Things have changed a lot. You can also go to the HERE website and submit changes and corrections (https://wego.here.com/). They have a map creator just like Google. Some folks have done it, and their corrections were in the next update.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-12-2021 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:42 AM

GLE580, Cardinal Red
Cool, thanks for the info! Shows I am sadly out of date....

Edit: And the link will let me avoid google maps...
Old 02-13-2021, 09:22 AM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts
2021 GLE450W4 SUV
That's not nearly the same as manually updating. 1: it can take a month or more to have an update pushed to your car. 2: it only updates one map region. I always update all regions so I'm prepared for the next road trip. 2: Automatic update doesn't update the voice files, so your turn-by-turn instructions don't work right for updated roads. It's really advisable to debug manual updates. Once you have a USB stick that works, you're set.
Exactly what I was just going to type.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:49 PM

2024 GLE 580
I did get this to work by formatting in EXFAT vs NTFS
Old 02-14-2021, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Only noticed the other day that voice files aren't updated over the air, seems a bit pointless updating the navigation over the air if you then have to manually update the voice files!!!
Old 02-14-2021, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Philamg
Only noticed the other day that voice files aren't updated over the air, seems a bit pointless updating the navigation over the air if you then have to manually update the voice files!!!
In fact, automatic update is pretty pointless as currently implemented.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:50 PM

Received 403 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Hey, for what it's worth; I was able to get the manual online map update to work using the Google Chrome web browser...downloading a manual update now. What ever the issue has been, it seems to be fixed as I haven't done anything different with my PC.

Old 02-27-2021, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by TexAg91
Hey, for what it's worth; I was able to get the manual online map update to work using the Google Chrome web browser...downloading a manual update now. What ever the issue has been, it seems to be fixed as I haven't done anything different with my PC.
It's hard to say exactly what may have changed. Chrome and other browsers have had scads of updates in the past couple of weeks. It's like GOOGL / MSFT / Firefox et.al. have us on constant Beta status. It seems like a race for "most popular New Look."
Old 02-27-2021, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Still doesn't work with Google Chrome in UK
Old 03-01-2021, 09:03 AM

2023 GLE 450 4matic
I just got it to work with Chrome too. Those having problems, check your version of Download Manager. You may have to update that first.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Navigation Map Upgrade