GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

The Mercedes Me Connect experience is hugely disappointing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,852 Likes on 2,575 Posts
2019 C63CS
I'm guessing they are referring to the automatic speed limit adoption by DISTRONIC, but that can be turned off and yes the speed limit warning can be set to +5, +10, +15 and +20 if I remember correctly. I've set mine to +10. Also gives you the option to just flash or beep or nothing. I often find many complaints are simply user errors.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by superswiss
I'm guessing they are referring to the automatic speed limit adoption by DISTRONIC, but that can be turned off and yes the speed limit warning can be set to +5, +10, +15 and +20 if I remember correctly. I've set mine to +10. Also gives you the option to just flash or beep or nothing. I often find many complaints are simply user errors.
Any hint as to where you set the speed tolerance!
My system currently malfunctions ignoring Active Speed Limit Assist set to off. When it reads an 80 as 60 it starts braking. I can’t find any reference to being able to increase the speed higher in the manual describing the system-Page 201/202. If I could set it 20 over it would get me by while the Dealer looks for a solution. I have Route based speed & traffic sign assist turned off. I guess it’s time to revisit my entire menu system. I might be missing a setting controlled on the left side steering column since I haven’t checked that menu out for awhile.
Has anyone with a GLE found a setting to set the mph over posted…it might be different in MBUX?
Old 06-13-2021, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mikapen
What does Ford do?
With M-B I think you can only select +5, but you can also stop flashing or turn it off altogether. I leave it off because if I'm way over, I have more to concentrate on than a flashy thing.
That’s the warning tolerance…it doesn’t change the set speed.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Ron.s
Any hint as to where you set the speed tolerance!
My system currently malfunctions ignoring Active Speed Limit Assist set to off. When it reads an 80 as 60 it starts braking. I can’t find any reference to being able to increase the speed higher in the manual describing the system-Page 201/202. If I could set it 20 over it would get me by while the Dealer looks for a solution. I have Route based speed & traffic sign assist turned off. I guess it’s time to revisit my entire menu system. I might be missing a setting controlled on the left side steering column since I haven’t checked that menu out for awhile.
Has anyone with a GLE found a setting to set the mph over posted…it might be different in MBUX?
For me it's under the vehicle assistance settings and Traffic Sign Assist. There's a setting for the warning threshold, but I remembered it wrong. In my car I can maximum set it to +5 mph which is what I have it set to. You are correct, there's no threshold for the automatic speed limit adoption. It can only be turned off, which is what I have done in my car, because I don't find it very useful in the USA. I had it turned on during my ED trip to avoid getting caught by the many speed cameras over there. The current speed limit can still be manually adopted by pressing Resume when DISTRONIC is engaged. I typically use that to set the initial speed and then increase it by 5 to 10 mph over.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:39 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
Originally Posted by mikapen
What does Ford do?
With M-B I think you can only select +5, but you can also stop flashing or turn it off altogether. I leave it off because if I'm way over, I have more to concentrate on than a flashy thing.
On my Lincoln (Ford) you can set the variance above or below the speed limit for the Intelligent Cruise (I think it's +/- 20 km/h), but there isn't a speed limit warning feature - at least I don't think there is.

Are we saying the Distronic cruise forces the posted speed limit? That's a bummer, although I don't use the Intelligent feature now, just Adaptive.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:25 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts
2021 GLE450W4 SUV
I think MB just fixed my remote start and lock/unlock issues. I contacted Connect customer service and their people in Europe communicated with my GLE and "performed what is known as a TCU Change, which is essentially a reset of the Communications Module in the Vehicle." In the four days since they've done that, my remote start/unlock/lock seems to be working almost 100% of the time when before it was about 10% of the time.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:00 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 GLE 53 Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by Professor1234
On my Lincoln (Ford) you can set the variance above or below the speed limit for the Intelligent Cruise (I think it's +/- 20 km/h), but there isn't a speed limit warning feature - at least I don't think there is.

Are we saying the Distronic cruise forces the posted speed limit? That's a bummer, although I don't use the Intelligent feature now, just Adaptive.
I was driving the highway the other day at 120kph and there was a construction zone sign that said the speed limit was 80kph. Without warning, my cruise changed to 80 kph and my vehicle immediately slowed down. It scared the f... out of me. I can only assume the camera saw the sign and changed the cruise control...
Old 06-24-2021, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Swordfish99
I was driving the highway the other day at 120kph and there was a construction zone sign that said the speed limit was 80kph. Without warning, my cruise changed to 80 kph and my vehicle immediately slowed down. It scared the f... out of me. I can only assume the camera saw the sign and changed the cruise control...
There are settings to turn the function off but mine does that anyway with both turned off. Traffic Sign Assist & Route Based Speed. You might check your settings and if on turn off. It's dangerous when in Heavy Freeway Traffic and it confuses 80 as 60...braking fairly hard. Mine also might reset to the new speed or at times it doesn't.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:21 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Try 55mph down to a school zone speed of 15mph even when the school zone isn't active.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:45 AM

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts
2017 AMG SL63 _ 19 AMG S65 Cpe _ 23 R8 Spyder Rwd _ 17 911 C2S _ 16 Boxster Spyder _ 01 BMW Z8 etc.
The fact that the Me Connect app does NOT have a way for the user to manually refresh data (like vehicle location etc) is insanely stupid.

Like the original poster said- the app does not refresh data upon launch either. Makes no sense.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:39 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
duplicate, delete.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:40 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by jtjbt20x
I think MB just fixed my remote start and lock/unlock issues. I contacted Connect customer service and their people in Europe communicated with my GLE and "performed what is known as a TCU Change, which is essentially a reset of the Communications Module in the Vehicle." In the four days since they've done that, my remote start/unlock/lock seems to be working almost 100% of the time when before it was about 10% of the time.
Still doesn't work and they haven't responded to my status queries in two weeks.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jtjbt20x
Try 55mph down to a school zone speed of 15mph even when the school zone isn't active.
Let me know how it works after disabling it. Mine ignores being turned off and accelerates or decelerates anyway. Yesterday it read 35 as 55…trying to get me a ticket.
I have Route Based Speed set to off and also Traffic Signs just in case…can’t find any other settings. My 2020 GLE 450 misread a few signs but not as bad and it didn’t adopt the new speed either.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLC43R AMG
How does a US based Mercedes Me / Connect gain access to download updated maps? The FAQ talks about "Download Manager" and the process. but these is nowhere to get the download manager. Searching the web and finding the MG Garmin site, tell me I have to go to a dealer for updates. It does say my car is authorized for updated for 3-years from the in service date. This would be hugely inconvenient, as the dealer is a hour away. Anybody have any ideas?
Old 08-09-2021, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by vnarma
How does a US based Mercedes Me / Connect gain access to download updated maps? The FAQ talks about "Download Manager" and the process. but these is nowhere to get the download manager. Searching the web and finding the MG Garmin site, tell me I have to go to a dealer for updates. It does say my car is authorized for updated for 3-years from the in service date. This would be hugely inconvenient, as the dealer is a hour away. Anybody have any ideas?
The maps get downloaded automatically to your vehicle while you drive. I have had two map updates installed in the 3 months I have owned my vehicle. You get a message from Mercedes Me App each time you get an update.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:58 AM

Received 133 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 EQB300
Mine still continues even after being disabled. It is particularly scary on a stretch of I-80 westbound around Paterson, NJ. The road bends slightly left at an exit where a 45mph sign is posted. The camera detects the 45mph zone and immediately kicks the car down. Not cool when in the left lane at 70mph (yes, I sometimes cheat the speed limit by 5 mph, which in NJ terms is being a slow driver). I know not to use cruise in that stretch. I have often referred to it as the 737 Max of the highway. Nonetheless, I love my '21 GLE350 and just know both professionally as well as automotively that one has to work around software and hardware bugs. And know that the bug fix will trigger something else. I sometimes envy the chimpanzees I just photographed in the wild in Uganda. Their technology consists of sticks to extract termites from mounds and then beat each other with the sticks.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 10:50 AM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
The maps get downloaded automatically to your vehicle while you drive. I have had two map updates installed in the 3 months I have owned my vehicle. You get a message from Mercedes Me App each time you get an update.
Only the home region is downloaded, you have to get the remaining regions and audio files from the MB website.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by vnarma
You just have to login to the Mercedes me connect portal, go to Online map update and start the manual map download. There's a link to download the Download Manager. I can't take a screenshot at the moment, because all my maps are up-to-date, so I can't get to the manual update.

https://www.me.mercedes-benz.com/

Old 08-09-2021, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by nsoltz
Mine still continues even after being disabled. It is particularly scary on a stretch of I-80 westbound around Paterson, NJ. The road bends slightly left at an exit where a 45mph sign is posted. The camera detects the 45mph zone and immediately kicks the car down. Not cool when in the left lane at 70mph (yes, I sometimes cheat the speed limit by 5 mph, which in NJ terms is being a slow driver). I know not to use cruise in that stretch. I have often referred to it as the 737 Max of the highway. Nonetheless, I love my '21 GLE350 and just know both professionally as well as automotively that one has to work around software and hardware bugs. And know that the bug fix will trigger something else. I sometimes envy the chimpanzees I just photographed in the wild in Uganda. Their technology consists of sticks to extract termites from mounds and then beat each other with the sticks.
I was able to get this disabled. I turned off Traffic Sign Assist and in the same settings scroll down and there is an option to turn off Limit Adoption. I turned both off and drove over 2,000 KM's on the highway and found it never once slowed me down like before. However, I did notice when I had the cruise set and was entering into a corner, the vehicle temporarily slowed me down thinking I was driving too fast for the corner, which was not the case. As soon as I pulled out of the corner, it would speed back up again. That I would like to disable!
Old 08-09-2021, 11:33 AM

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
However, I did notice when I had the cruise set and was entering into a corner, the vehicle temporarily slowed me down thinking I was driving too fast for the corner, which was not the case. As soon as I pulled out of the corner, it would speed back up again. That I would like to disable!
Isn't that what the "Route based speed adaptation" setting is for?
Old 08-09-2021, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by maalox
No, the setting I changed is in the same space as the Traffic sign assist. You have to scroll down and you will see a setting called "Limit Adoption" . I turned that off.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:39 AM

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
No, the setting I changed is in the same space as the Traffic sign assist. You have to scroll down and you will see a setting called "Limit Adoption" . I turned that off.
I mean your desire to not automatically slow down for corners. I believe that's a separate setting from the "Limit Adoption" and is called "Route Based Speed Adaptation" that you can also turn off.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:40 AM

I mean your desire to not automatically slow down for corners. I believe that's a separate setting from the "Limit Adoption" and is called "Route Based Speed Adaptation" that you can also turn off.
Oh, I will try that setting and see if it fixes the issue. Thanks...
Old 08-09-2021, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Yes, that's what automatically slows down the vehicle around curves and when approaching intersections, roundabouts or exits.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Then there's Lane Keeping Assist in two places - one is "Active" and the other is just Lane Keeping Assist. You have to turn them both off, in order for the car not to slow you down if you are hugging the inside of a corner.

With everything off, you will see a symbol at the bottom of the instrument cluster, with the word "off" above the greyed-out symbol of a car between two lane lines. If the "off" isn't there, you have to find a way to make it show "off."

I have been annoyed by this for 6,000 miles and I just figured it out last week.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Mercedes Me Connect experience is hugely disappointing